Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fact or Bullcrap? (the Stones part) (Read 1,842 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Fact or Bullcrap? (the Stones part)
Jul 13th, 2013 at 1:00pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Why Michael is still rocking all over the world

Published 13/07/2013

German-born guitar god Michael Schenker was just 18 when he was asked to audition for the Rolling Stones. But he never bothered to call them back.

Newly arrived in England, the teenage Schenker had just joined rockers UFO after playing in his brother Rudolph’s band The Scorpions since he was just 15 – and he admits the prospect of joining the Stones terrified him.

He laughs: “Only the year before I looked in the paper about the Rolling Stones and they were the biggest thing all over, and I got really scared!

“I asked my brother what he thought and he said, ‘You have to make a decision.’ So I never even bothered to call back. For me, UFO was enough.

“Rolling Stones was far far too high up there for me as a very sensitive young boy and fragile – I was scared of them actually.”

It was brother Rudolph who inadvertently started Schenker on the path to his destiny. The guitarist recalls: “He was 16 and I was nine when he got his first guitar. So one morning, I woke up and there was a guitar standing in the room – and I was not allowed to touch it!

“But of course, when everybody was gone, I was tempted. And the moment I touched the guitar and I hit the strings, I immediately realised that this is amazing and there must be more to it and so I went straight into it and I developed very very quick.

“I was totally fascinated by the fact that you press the string, hit the string and it makes a different sound, and it did different things depending on how you hit it, what you did with it. It was just very very fascinating.”

Rudolph formed the Scorpions almost the moment he acquired the guitar. Michael grins: “He couldn’t even play and he already had a band. His vision was to make one of the biggest bands in the world, that was his vision, and my vision was to become a great guitarist.”

He made his debut with his brother’s band just two years later, aged 11.

He remembers: “They played somewhere and I ended up jamming with them for the first time.

“My parents came with me and dropped me off and watched and so on.”

At 15, he played on their debut album, Lonesome Crow. But Schenker was already longing to come to England where he felt the rock scene that he loved had its roots.

When the Scorpions toured Germany with UFO, he found himself filling in for guitarist, Bernie Marsden, who was stuck in England thanks to a passport problem.

He impressed and they asked him to join. He says: “I was very much into all the great rock guitarists and rock bands of the late 1960s which came from Britain, most of them.

“I was developing so fast but there was no audience here in Germany, it was all disco, and there was no management. Everything was very lame over in Germany, and I had always told my brother that if anybody asked me from England where all of this was coming from, I would go there because I just wanted to be with people in a country where people are into this kind of stuff.

“We were touring with UFO and I had to help out because they didn’t have their guitarist. So the only way was to have me play with both bands for a couple of nights until he would turn up and that’s what I did.

“And that’s when they decided to ask me to join. Of course, I was ready to do that immediately.”

But first, he made sure the Scorpions were OK. He says: “I remember Uli John Roth, seeing him when I was 14 years old, he perfectly copied Alvin Lee from Ten Years After and Jimi Hendrix so I felt good having that kind of replacement. So I got in touch with him and he took the offer and so he joined Scorpions and I went to join UFO.”

Schenker made his name in UFO – and the Stones weren’t the only ones to come knocking. Schenker says: “I was asked by Ozzy Osbourne, Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Mott the Hoople, Ian Hunter, and Deep Purple – so many people.”

But, in the end, his greatest days were spent in his own Michael Schenker Group, and he admits he finds it difficult to be part of a band, disliking the crushing schedules and preferring to lead.

This, he says, is why, having returned to the Scorpions for their Lovedrive album in 1978, he then left midway through the tour. He says: “That’s when I knew I cannot do this. I need to express myself. I cannot just learn other people’s songs or be in a machine of tour and album, tour and album.

“I wanted to experiment musically at my own pace and I didn’t want to be part of a system, back and forth. I just wanted to be free.

“And I realised actually every time I got asked, like if it was Ozzy or Aerosmith, I was very tempted to do it but last minute, I pulled out. I said, ‘This is not for me because you end up in the same situation.’”

Schenker has reunited with UFO several times over the years, each time producing a new album. But their relationship was always turbulent and he finally walked away after a disastrous reunion tour in 2001.

He recalls: “I had a problem with (bassist) Pete Way. He was drunk all over the place onstage and then I had enough and I got drunk too and then I made a fool out of myself in Manchester and it all collapsed.

“The tour got cancelled and then half a year later, Phil called me up and said, ‘Michael, I need to carry on working. We need the name UFO,’ – because I was half owning it.

“He wanted the name back so they could continue working. I didn’t want anything to do with them any more because it was all too corrupted. So I just gave him the name and blessed them and that’s what they did ever since.”

He is amazed to find himself a hero to many of the world’s greatest rock guitarists. He says: “I never really focus on that kind of thing. For me, it was purely fascination with a single string and enjoying the discovery.

“And then someone knocks on my door and says, ‘We have an award for you.’ Or they would say, ‘You are the favourite guitarist of Slash or Metallica or Iron Maiden and Def Leppard, etc etc.’

“I disconnected from the scene for many, many years and I had no idea. So it was a kind of a surprise - actually, a shock! Obviously, it’s the icing on the cake for me.”

Schenker hit hard times early this century. Divorce and management problems derailed his drive, but he now feels the tough times made him stronger. He says: “I went through some very hard times in 2001, 2002. Divorce, family problems and I was surrounded by some very weird people.

“But if it doesn’t kill you, it can make you stronger. We have to work hard to overcome and this gives us wisdom to learn more about life.”

But he now feels back to his best, and he has reunited with two of the Scorpions – drummer Herman Rarebell and bassist Francis Buchholz – for his latest outing, Michael Schenker’s Temple of Rock, which comes to Preston’s 53 Degrees on Thursday July 19.

Also in his band is former Rainbow vocalist Doogie White, and Schenker says it’s a winning combination.

He says: “It’s really good. We just did two months of touring and every concert was a success and so there were lots of happy people and it’s just wonderful. You play the most known songs, and the set-list is about 20 songs, and it’s like one song after another, people are really happy. And we are very happy performing it.”

http://www.lep.co.uk/what-s-on/music/why-michael-is-still-rocking-all-over-the-w...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: Fact or Bullcrap? (the Stones part)
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 1:06pm
We all have our dreams.........

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 1:08pm
He was born in January 1955, so that means he was given a call in 1973.

Which is nonsense, as Taylor didnt leave the band until December 1974 and they auditioned new guitarists in Rotterdam in January-February 1975.

As ludicrous as Rory Gallagher's brother's repeated claim that he was 'offered the Stones job and turned it down'.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2013 at 1:09pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 1:13pm
He was born 1/10/55.
So he would have been 18 from 1/10/73 to 1/9/74.

Taylor officially left 12/12/74.

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 8:07am
Cant have a German in the band.

P.S. And don't mention the war!

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 8:29am
I do recall reading somewhere that when they were considering Taylor's replacement, they obviously tried out a number of guitarists (see Black & Blue), but that one of the things that they did consider was whether the guitarists were British.  Makes sense from a "fit" standpoint -- no idea if it was true.

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 1:25pm
So he couldn't remember whether he was 18 or 19 after almost 40 years?  That disproves nothing.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 1:55pm
dude likes wearing leather

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 3:50pm
"So he couldn't remember whether he was 18 or 19 after almost 40 years?  That disproves nothing"

You are talking like a lawyer.

September 27, 1981 was the first day I saw the Stones live.
If you are a guitarist and the Stones audition you, you will not forget the date.  EVER.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 4:50pm
nankerphelge wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 3:50pm:
"So he couldn't remember whether he was 18 or 19 after almost 40 years?  That disproves nothing"

You are talking like a lawyer.

September 27, 1981 was the first day I saw the Stones live.
If you are a guitarist and the Stones audition you, you will not forget the date.  EVER.

So Nanky you too were at Rich Stadium that day....of my 43 shows that one is dead last easily.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 5:34pm
I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with the sound at that show.  I was way up front, in the pit as it were, but the guitars sounded horrible.  Tinny, no punch, no balls. 

However, it was still my first time, and so I never forgot!

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 9:50pm
It takes one to know one, Nanky; and he didn't say he auditioned for the Stones, he said he was offered an audition but was too scared to call back.
Brainy

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)