Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 / Pic © Jini Sachse (Sweet Virginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
George Jones has passed... (Read 2,645 times)
Child of the Moon
Rocks Off Regular

Plug in, flush out, and
fire the fuckin' feed...

In the timbers of Fennario
George Jones has passed...
Apr 26th, 2013 at 10:06am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/04/26/george-jones-country-superst...

Bummer. I had an opportunity to see him a couple of years back, and I unfortunately didn't take it. Thee man had his share of personal issues, but I've long loved his voice, his songs, and his dedication to a kind of music that largely doesn't exist any more.

Here's to you, George.

"[What does God look like?] Probably a very insignificant little creature. Probably invisible. I don't think he needs a look. And I tell you , if he has one, he'd probably look like me."&&&&"[What fantasy do I still have to fulfill?] Fucking God! Ha, ha!"&&&&-Keith Richards&&&&...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: George Jones has passed...
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 10:15am
rest in peace mr jones

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 11:09am
One of Country's greats, RIP George.

Country music superstar George Jones dead at 81
George Jones is shown in Nashville, Tenn., on Jan. 10, 2007 Jones, the peerless, hard-living country singer who recorded dozens of hits about good times and regrets and peaked with the heartbreaking classic 'He Stopped Loving Her Today,' has died. He was 81.   

Hillel Italie And Chris Talbott, The Associated Press
Published Friday, April 26, 2013 10:38AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, April 26, 2013 11:44AM EDT

NASHVILLE -- George Jones, the peerless, hard-living country singer who recorded dozens of hits about good times and regrets and peaked with the heartbreaking classic "He Stopped Loving Her Today," has died. He was 81.

Jones died Friday at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, according to his publicist Kirt Webster. He had been hospitalized with fever and irregular blood pressure, forcing him to postpone two shows.

With one of the most golden voices of any genre, a clenched, precise, profoundly expressive baritone, Jones had No. 1 songs in five separate decades, 1950s to 1990s. He was idolized not just by fellow country artists, but by Frank Sinatra, Pete Townshend, Elvis Costello, James Taylor and countless others. "If we all could sound like we wanted to, we'd all sound like George Jones," Waylon Jennings once sang.
Photos
Country music superstar George Jones dead at 81

George Jones arrives for the Kennedy Center Honors at the Kennedy Center in Washington on Dec. 7, 2008. (AP / Jacquelyn Martin)

Word of his death spread like white lightning Friday morning as his peers paid tribute.

"The greatest voice to ever grace country music will never die," Garth Brooks said in an email to The Associated Press. "Jones has a place in every heart that ever loved any kind of music."

Ronnie Dunn added: "The greatest country blues singer to ever live."

In Jones' case, that's not hyperbole. In a career that lasted more than 50 years, "Possum" evolved from young honky-tonker to elder statesman as he recorded more than 150 albums and became the champion and symbol of traditional country music, a well-lined link to his hero, Hank Williams.

Jones survived long battles with alcoholism and drug addiction, brawls, accidents and close encounters with death, including bypass surgery and a tour bus crash that he only avoided by deciding at the last moment to take a plane.

His failure to appear for concerts left him with the nickname "No Show Jones," and he later recorded a song by that name and often opened his shows by singing it. His wild life was revealed in song and in his handsome, troubled face, with its dark, deep-set eyes and dimpled chin.

In song, he was rowdy and regretful, tender and tragic. His hits included the sentimental "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes," the foot-tapping "The Race is On," the foot-stomping "I Don't Need Your Rockin' Chair," the melancholy "She Thinks I Still Care," the rockin' "White Lightning," and the barfly lament "Still Doing Time." Jones also recorded several duets with Tammy Wynette, his wife for six years, including "Golden Ring," "Near You," "Southern California" and "We're Gonna Hold On." He also sang with such peers as Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard and with Costello and other rock performers.

But his signature song was "He Stopped Loving Her Today," a weeper among weepers about a man who carries his love for a woman to his grave. The 1980 ballad, which Jones was sure would never be a hit, often appears on surveys as the most popular country song of all time.

Jones won Grammy awards in 1981 for "He Stopped Loving Her Today" and in 1999 for "Choices." He was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1992 and in 2008 was among the artists honoured in Washington at the Kennedy Center.

Jones continued to make appearances and put out records, though his hit records declined.

"I don't want to completely quit because I don't know what to do with myself," he said in 2005. "I'll be out there as long as the people want me to be out there."

He was in the midst of a yearlong farewell tour when he passed away. He was scheduled to complete the tour in November with an all-star packed tribute in Nashville.

Jones was a purist who lamented the transformation of country music from the family feeling of the 1950s to the hit factory of the early 21st century. He was so caught up in country, old country, that when a record company executive suggested he record with James Taylor, Jones insisted he had never heard of the million selling singer-songwriter. He was equally unimpressed when told that Neil Young had come to visit backstage and declined to see him, saying he didn't know who he was. He did listen to the Rolling Stones, only because of the guitar playing of Keith Richards, a country fan who would eventually record with Jones.

Asked about what he thought about Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift and other young stars, Jones said they were good but they weren't making traditional country music.

"What they need to do really, I think, is find their own title," he said.

In 1991, country star Alan Jackson dedicated his hit song "Don't Rock the Jukebox" to Jones, asking in the song that country music remain faithful to the Jones style instead of drifting toward rock 'n' roll.

Jones was born Sept. 12, 1931, in a log house near the east Texas town of Saratoga, the youngest of eight children. He sang in church and at age 11 began performing for tips on the streets of Beaumont, Texas. His first outing was such a success that listeners tossed him coins, placed a cup by his side and filled it with money. Jones estimated he made more than $24 for his two-hour performance, enough to feed his family for a week, but he used up the cash at a local arcade.

"That was my first time to earn money for singing and my first time to blow it afterward," he recalled in "I Lived to Tell it All," a painfully self-critical memoir published in 1996. "It started what almost became a lifetime trend."

The family lived in a government-subsidized housing project, and his father, a labourer, was an alcoholic who would rouse the children from bed in the middle of the night to sing for him. His father also noted that young George liked music and bought him a Gene Autry guitar, with a horse and lariat on the front, that Jones practised on obsessively.

He got his start on radio with husband and wife team Eddie & Pearl in the late 1940s. Hank Williams once dropped by the studio to promote a new record, and Jones was invited to back him on guitar. When it came time to play, he froze.

"Hank had 'Wedding Bells' out at the time," Jones recalled in a 2003 Associated Press interview. "He started singing it, and I never hit the first note the whole song. I just stared."

After the first of his four marriages failed, he enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1951 and served three years. He cut his first record when he got out, an original fittingly called "No Money in This Deal."

He had his first hit with "Why Baby Why" in 1955, and by the early '60s Jones was one of country music's top stars.

"I sing top songs that fit the hardworking, everyday loving person. That's what country music is about," Jones said in a 1991 AP interview. "My fans and real true country music fans know I'm not a phoney. I just sing it the way it is and put feeling in it if I can and try to live the song."

Jones was married to Wynette, his third wife, from 1969 to 1975. (Wynette died in 1998.) Their relationship played out in Nashville like a country song, with hard drinking, fights and reconciliations. Jones' weary knowledge of domestic warfare was immortalized in such classics as "The Battle," set to the martial beat of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic."

After one argument, Jones drove off on a riding mower in search of a drink because Wynette had taken his car keys to keep him from carousing. Years earlier, married to his second wife, he had also sped off in a mower in search of a drink. Jones referred to his mowing days in the 1996 release, "Honky Tonk Song."

His drug and alcohol abuse grew worse in the late '70s, and Jones had to file for bankruptcy in 1978. A manager had started him on cocaine, hoping to counteract his boozy, lethargic performances, and Jones was eventually arrested in Jackson, Miss., in 1983 on cocaine possession charges. He agreed to perform a benefit concert and was sentenced to six months probation.

"In the 1970s, I was drunk the majority of the time," Jones wrote in his memoir. "If you saw me sober, chances are you saw me asleep."

In 1980, a 3-minute song changed his life. His longtime producer, Billy Sherrill, recommended he record "He Stopped Loving Her Today," a ballad by Curly Putnam and Bobby Braddock. The song took more than a year to record, partly because Jones couldn't master the melody, which he confused with Kris Kristofferson's "Help Me Make it Through the Night," and partly because he was too drunk to recite a brief, spoken interlude ("She came to see him one last time/And we all wondered if she would/And it kept running through my mind/This time he's over her for good.")

"Pretty simple, eh?" Jones wrote in his memoir. "I couldn't get it. I had been able to sing while drunk all of my life. I'd fooled millions of people. But I could never speak without slurring when drunk. What we needed to complete that song was the narration, but Billy could never catch me sober enough to record four simple spoken lines."

Jones was convinced the song was too "morbid" to catch on. But "He Stopped Loving Her Today," featuring a string section that hummed, then soared, became an instant standard and virtually canonized him. His concert fee jumped from $2,500 a show to $25,000.

"There is a God," he recalled.

In 1983, Jones married his fourth and final wife, Nancy Sepulveda, whom he credited with stablizing his private life. He had four children, one with first wife Dorothy Bonvillion, two with second wife Shirley Ann Corley and one with Wynette. His daughter with Wynette, Georgette Jones, became a country singer and even played her mother in the 2008 TV series "Sordid Lives."

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/country-music-superstar-george-jones-dead-at...
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2013 at 11:10am by Heart Of Stone »  

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 11:17am
Glad I took my last chance to see him in 2012...He needed rest!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 11:43am
Rest in peace, George !

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 12:53pm
Totally irreplacable as a country singer. FANTASTIC talent.

Lawnmower owners across the US will be breathing a collective sigh of relief, however.

Keith on working with George - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QnxG4BoUi8&feature=share

and 'Burn your playhouse down' - one of the two duets they recorded together in the mid 90s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qAhH49YpLI

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 3:12pm
Thanks for that great video Gazza, Keith was totally taken back to work with him.

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

uncleson
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

USA
Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 3:49pm
Very sad news. Great singer, great talent.

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 3:59pm
So influential, a voice like a pedal steel guitar. No George, no Gram, and no Torn and Frayed. RIP.

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #9 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 4:32pm
They don't make 'em like George Jones anymore.  RIP.
stu watching how stupid we are LOL

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 4:39pm
I really like Rolling Stone article on his life.

George Jones Dead at 81
"The world has lost the greatest country singer of all time," says friend Merle Haggard

By Patrick Doyle
April 26, 2013 10:35 AM ET
george jones death
Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images

George Jones, known as "the greatest voice in country music," died today at a Nashville Hospital after being hospitalized last week with a fever and irregular blood pressure, his publicist said today. He was 81 years old. "The world has lost the greatest country singer of all time," his friend Merle Haggard said in a statement to Rolling Stone. "Amen."

Born in Saratoga, Texas into an extremely poor household,  Jones went on to 143 Top 40 country hits; fourteen went to Number One, beginning with 1959's "White Lightning," and they continued through the decades including "She Thinks I Still Care" and "He Stopped Loving Her Today." Sinatra called him "the second greatest singer in America" (second only to himself) while Keith Richards calls him "a national treasure." "If we all could sound like we wanted to, we'd all sound like George Jones," Waylon Jennings once sang.

"Most people's voices are a gift from God," Garth Brooks once said. "With George Jones, I think it started out as a gift from God and then they built a body around it because anybody who has ever wanted to sing country music wants to sound like George Jones."

From the Archives: George Jones on How He Lived to Tell It All (1996)

Growing up in East Texas, Jones quickly discovered he could sing, busking on the streets of Beaumont, emulating his heroes Lefty Frizzell and Hank Williams. He began performing on local radio and backing local stars Eddie & Pearl in the late Forties, which brought him face-to-face with Williams. Bigger success came after a stint in the Marine Corps, when Jones scored his first Top Five Hit with 1955’s rousing "Why, Baby, Why," and he stayed a relevant force throughout the Sixties and Seventies. He married fellow country star Tammy Wynette in 1969, and they recorded hits like 1976’s "Golden Ring" and 1979’s "Two Story House," even after their divorce in 1975. His 1980 heartbreak ballad "He Stopped Loving Her Today," on his comeback LP I Am What I Am, went to Number One, earned him a Grammy, Academy of Country Music Awards, and is a strong candidate for the greatest country song of all time.

He had an epic career, and his offstage escapades often threatened to overshadow his accomplishments. He missed dozens of shows in the late Seventies (living up to his nickname "No Show Jones"), and in 1979 his addictions landed him in an Alabama psychiatric hospital. In 1980, he led police on a televised chase through Nashville. In 1999, he crashed his car into a Nashville bridge and nearly died. "Through it all I kept reading articles that said I was the greatest country singer alive," he wrote in his 1996 memoir. "And singers I respect were constantly saying that too. I was always appreciative, but I never understood how such a supposedly good singer could be such a troubled person. My talent, though it brought me fame and fortune, never brought me peace of mind."

But Jones never lost his ability to deliver heartbreaking country classics. He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1992, was a Kennedy Center Honoree in 2008 and received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award last year. Jones spent recent years gigging constantly and relaxing outside Nashville. "My relaxation is when I get back to my farm here in Tennessee," he told Rolling Stone in 1996. "I'm into miniature horses, and we take them to shows. We're just having a ball. They're like pets: follow you around just like your puppy dog."

Jones was in the process of ending his seven-decade career with the Grand Tour. His final Nashville concert, planned for November 22nd, was the cornerstone of the tour, with fans like Keith Richards, Jamey Johnson, Garth Brooks, Kid Rock, Kenny Rogers and more set to play with him.

Jones is survived by Nancy Jones, his wife of 30 years, his sister Helen Scroggins and children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews. "I've changed my way of life. I do believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and do pray often, even though I'm not a saint," he told RS. "Hopefully, we all don't have to be a saint to get into heaven."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/george-jones-dead-at-81-20130426#ixzz2Rbk...
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2013 at 4:41pm by Heart Of Stone »  

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #11 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 5:16pm
"He Stopped Loving Her Today"

http://youtu.be/9pp9zwm8DQ8

I think this is the greatest Country (capital "C") song ever. And this is my favorite version of it, because my friend Calvin Leiter is playing the pedal steel in the clip.

Calvin's the reason I'm a musician today. He came up to me in 8th grade (he was in 9th) and said "I'm starting a band and you're going to be my bass player."
Except for a few guitar lessons at the local music store, I'd never played anything. I said "Um...okay...but why?" and he said "Because you look like a bass player."

So we DID form a cool little high school band, one that played "Street Fighting Man" and "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again" and other surprisingly
hip choices. After high school he got bored with guitar and taught himself pedal steel guitar, just to challenge himself.  He saw Kitty Wells playing at the local county fair,
walked up to her after the show, said "I'm better than the steel player you have now", and got hired on the spot. Within a year or so he had played with Jerry Lee Lewis
before he settled in with George Jones. He was in his touring band for a few years but eventually got tired of not knowing whether George would show up or not. 
Last I talked to him he hadn't played in years, and had taken up competitive water skiing. 

He mentioned looking out into the audience during this song and seeing grown men cry every night.  He almost seemed like he didn't understand it.

Anyway, I've always been really proud of Calvin, and I'm glad this clip exists. Especially today.

...&&&&
IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #12 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 5:54pm
FPM wrote on Apr 26th, 2013 at 5:16pm:
"He Stopped Loving Her Today"

http://youtu.be/9pp9zwm8DQ8

I think this is the greatest Country (capital "C") song ever. And this is my favorite version of it, because my friend Calvin Leiter is playing the pedal steel in the clip.

Calvin's the reason I'm a musician today. He came up to me in 8th grade (he was in 9th) and said "I'm starting a band and you're going to be my bass player."
Except for a few guitar lessons at the local music store, I'd never played anything. I said "Um...okay...but why?" and he said "Because you look like a bass player."

So we DID form a cool little high school band, one that played "Street Fighting Man" and "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again" and other surprisingly
hip choices. After high school he got bored with guitar and taught himself pedal steel guitar, just to challenge himself.  He saw Kitty Wells playing at the local county fair,
walked up to her after the show, said "I'm better than the steel player you have now", and got hired on the spot. Within a year or so he had played with Jerry Lee Lewis
before he settled in with George Jones. He was in his touring band for a few years but eventually got tired of not knowing whether George would show up or not.  
Last I talked to him he hadn't played in years, and had taken up competitive water skiing.  

He mentioned looking out into the audience during this song and seeing grown men cry every night.  He almost seemed like he didn't understand it.

Anyway, I've always been really proud of Calvin, and I'm glad this clip exists. Especially today.

Where's the like button? (for your post, and the tune)

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 7:27pm
I love this one.  Can't help it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6j2YBD--1U

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #14 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 10:05pm
The Greatest Country Singer Ever!
This is one of few things my dad and I agreed on.
We never missed him when he came to town. Always a great show whether he was with Conway, Vern, or Merle, always a big deal for my dad and I. Now they are both gone, and I can't help but feel worse tonight than usual. Still doing Time, Wine Color Glasses, Grand Tour, He Stopping Loving Her Today, The Greatest Country Song Sung by the great Country Voice.
The Last Man Standing from that era IMO Jerry Lee Lewis!
The Killer Rocks On.
RIP Possum, you helped bring my dad and I together! I can't thank you enough for that!

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - May 3rd, 2013 at 11:52am
Who's gonna fill his shoes?

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #16 - May 3rd, 2013 at 1:43pm
No one.  Maybe now they'll retire the term "country music", because the shit that passes for country these days sure isn't the same stuff George sang.

Keith Richards praises George Jones as "pure American music" in a statement sent by
his representative today. "You can hear a million imitations on the radio every day – but there
was, and ever will be, only one George Jones," Richards says.

You can read the Rolling Stones guitarist's full remarks below. Our full report from today's public
funeral for Jones – which will feature performances from Brad Paisley and Kid Rock, as well as
speeches from Kenny Chesney, Tennessee governor Bill Haslam, former Arkansas governor
Mike Huckabee and former First Lady Laura Bush – will be coming soon.

In related Jones news, Billboard reports that his album sales have skyrocketed by 1,002 percent
since his death last week, moving 35,000 units from his entire catalogue. The top seller was the
1998 compilation 16 Biggest Hits, which sold 9,000 copies this past week, and debuted at Number
42 on the Billboard 200 – the first time the country singer has ever placed higher than Number 53.

Richards' full statement:

George Jones has left us. We have lost one of the most individual singers of all time. I cannot express
the emptiness I feel.

George was as country as it can get, but he was beyond any bag you want to put him in. He was pure
American music without ever waving a flag – you can hear a million imitations on the radio every day –
but there was, and ever will be, only one George Jones.

He possessed the most touching voice, the most expressive ways of projecting that beautiful instrument
of anyone I can call to mind. You heard his heart in every note he sang. Sinatra called him the second
best singer ever. (The number one obviously being Frank!). I would contest that.

I truly loved 'the possum.' He was a crazy as me, and just as free… and, oh boy, could he hang.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/keith-richards-george-jones-was-pure-amer...
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2013 at 1:45pm by FPM »  

...&&&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)