Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jim Morrison Documentary. (Read 2,031 times)
Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Jim Morrison Documentary.
Mar 15th, 2013 at 4:18pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Jim Morrison Documentary Begins Production
'Before the End: Jim Morrison Comes of Age' looks into the late Doors singer's life      
By RJ Cubarrubia
March 14, 2013 5:45 PM ET
Jim Morrison
Michael Ochs Archives/Getty

Jim Morrison will be memorialized in a new independent documentary that has started production. Before the End: Jim Morrison Comes of Age will give a look into the life of the late Doors singer, examining his early years through his untimely death in July 1971 at age 27. According to Deadline.com, Before the End will feature interviews with Morrison's family and friends, including his brother Andy Morrison and Doors roadie Gareth Blyth, as well as previously unseen home movies and photographs. Z-Machine filmmakers Jess and Jeff Finn are leading the project.

100 Greatest Singers: Jim Morrison

Morrison and the Doors have been the subject of numerous documentaries already. One recent example, Mr. Mojo Risin': The Story of L.A. Woman – a film about the Doors' final album with Morrison – was released in January

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jim-morrison-documentary-begins-productio...
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Re: Jim Morrison Documentary.
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 7:05pm
I love Morrisson...but somehow i think that Oliver Stone's film will still be 100 times more interesting than any doc...

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 9:03pm
That film was a joke. The L.A.Woman doco was great. But how much more is there? Surely this cow is milked.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 9:40pm
corgi37 wrote on Mar 15th, 2013 at 9:03pm:
That film was a joke. The L.A.Woman doco was great. But how much more is there? Surely this cow is milked.

That is actually what I was alluding to...I should have said entertaining instead of interesting...that cow has been milked...and Stone added chocolate syrup.

I enjoyed the film...I thought it was well done...a decent adaptation of Sugarman's book...which was entertaining as well...

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 11:20am
I know how people feel, how much more milking the cow, The Doors in the 60's were one of the few bands who filmed everything, they had a film crew following them around on tour & off, I don't think there's any footage of Miami, if there was it would have been used in Morrison's trial, that would be something to see.
I don't know how much more films there are, it's good that nobody is trying to stop it, like with the case of Jimi Hendrix & possibly Janis Joplin, there was suppose to be a movie made on her life, & this has been going on for years, they had that Lesbian Rock chick, Melissa (I can't think of her last name) to play Janis at one point, never heard anything more about that, it would be great to have a movie of Jimi & Janis.

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 10:26pm
Always loved Jim. Still do. Anything they do about him will interest me. The problem with many docs is they arent truly accurate. As long as they get th facts straight its good to refresh my memory since it was so long ago that he died. I still love his voice, it was so deep and true. I had a boyfriend once and he had a Camaro and we would blast The Doors and make out in the car getting high and getting hot. I still get turned on when I hear Jim's voice. Very sexy man. I give him a 10.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 12:58pm
Been a big Doors fan since the late 70s.

It was nice to stay in the Venice area of LA when I was there in 2002 for the Stones and get a feel of the place - as well as checking out a few Doors' haunts during my stay like Barney's Beanery (food was disappointing, though!) and seeing a band at the Whiskey a Go Go. MarthaMyDear showed me around and I have good memories of cruising around Sunset blasting out 'LA Woman' (which Ive always maintained is one of the greatest 'driving' songs of all time)

The few months in Paris at the end of his life interest me more, though, partly because its not as publicly documented and because of it's mysterious ending. Its a city I've visited about ten times , is possibly my favourite part of the world (along with New York) and I often do a little 'Jimbo Trail' around where he lived in his last few weeks (Rue Beautreilis) to get a 'feel' of the place - and naturally I've made the trip out to Pere Lachaise Cemetery a few times too.

These sites cover that period  quite well and are worth a read -

http://home.arcor.de/doorsquarterlyonline/quietday.htm
http://jimmorrisonsparis.com/faq/
http://home.arcor.de/doorsquarterlyonline/jimparis.htm
I thought Oliver Stone's movie was typical overblown Hollywood shite for the most part, although Kilmer was magnificent in it.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2013 at 1:04pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 1:13pm
I woke up this morning and got myself a beer!..th4e leasbian rock chick I believe would be Melissa Etheridge?..she's had some tough battles herself

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 3:52pm
Yeah, that's the name Gimmekeef, I said that because I didn't know her last name & if I said that people would know who I'm talking about, I could of mentioned David Crosby fathered a child, but....
Love those links Gazza, I bookmarked them, way to much to read at one time, I find Jim Morrison's life fascinating, remember in the 60's he was the big story for Circus magazine & because that book "No one gets out of this life alive" got me interested, & because he was a big boozer too, there's a big difference between an alcoholic & a heavy drinker, Jim wasn't an alcoholic, even though a lot of 12 stepper like to say "he was one of us" bullshit.

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #9 - May 9th, 2013 at 6:23pm
The Doors' John Densmore Talks About the Band's Ugly, Six-Year Feud
Author of 'The Doors Unhinged' on the rockers' infighting and gree      
By John Clarke
May 8, 2013 4:00 PM ET
John Densmore
John Densmore
Larry Busacca/Getty Images

In his new book The Doors Unhinged: Jim Morrison's Legacy Goes on Trial, Doors drummer John Densmore spins a funny yet lurid, behind-the-scenes tale of his six-year feud with former bandmates Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek – a greed-filled courtroom battle in which he was accused of being an anti-American, card-carrying communist who supports al Qaeda.

Densmore said the rift started in 2003, when Cadillac offered the band a record-breaking $15 million deal. Krieger and Manzarek wanted the deal but Densmore balked, recalling a studio session in 1968 when Jim Morrison, the band's enigmatic lead singer who died in 1971, discovered the band was considering taking $75,000 for a Buick ad. In that commercial, the car company would use the band's hit "Light My Fire," changing the lyrics from "Come on baby light my fire" to "Come on Buick light my fire."

500 Greatest Albums of All Time: 'The Doors'

"Jim told us he couldn't trust us anymore," Densmore tells Rolling Stone. "We had agreed that we would never use our music in any commercial, but the money Buick offered us had been hard to refuse. Jim accused us of making a deal with the devil and said he would smash a Buick with a sledgehammer onstage if we let them [change the lyrics]."

Then Krieger and Manzarek started touring under the Doors name. The band advertised themselves as The Doors of the 21st Century, with "The Doors" appearing in big, bold letters and everything else in small fine print.

"They started using the name the Doors," Densmore says. "I sent some example of the ad to the estate and said, "Hey, your deceased son has been resurrected and has been performing. Apparently I am, too." I asked Robby to stop and he said he would. But he didn't."

As far as Densmore was concerned, the Doors died in a bathtub in Paris in 1971. It was crucial to honor Morrison's absence. "I was not trying to stop them from playing," Densmore said. "They were great. Anyone can play Doors songs, unless it's for an ad for some product. I just wanted them to be clear [that it wasn't the Doors]."

Densmore and the Morrison estate, which includes Morrison's parents and his widow, sued Krieger and Manzarek to prevent them from using the name or taking the Cadillac deal. Krieger and Manzarek counter-sued, claiming they were being hamstrung by the estate and prevented from making a living as musicians.

Based on courtroom transcripts, Densmore works up a cautionary tale of the ugly collision of art and money. Densmore writes that the opposing legal team attacked his character and labeled him un-American and a communist for not taking the Cadillac deal.

"They tried to convince the jury I was an eco-terrorist because I am involved with a handful of peaceful, credible environmental organizations," said Densmore, who was once arrested with Bonnie Raitt for protesting the cutting down of old-growth trees. "I couldn't believe some of things I heard them say. I felt betrayed, hurt and very alone. . . Now, you can probably google my name and al Qaeda will come up. Great, let's go to Abu Ghraib! It was really disturbing."

During the trial, several musicians  –including Raitt, Neil Young, Eddie Vedder, Tom Petty, Tom Waits and Randy Newman – all showed support for Densmore.

"Though it's something I don't like to think about, there will come a time when I will be a Dead Rock Star," wrote Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder on the book. "I can only hope that in my inevitable absence there will be someone with the integrity and principled behavior of Mr. Densmore looking after whatever legacy our group may leave behind." Petty said the book was a must-read for any musician who feels their work is worth more than money.

In a shocking turn of events, Police drummer Stewart Copeland, who played with Krieger and Manzarek in the Doors of the 21st Century, took the stand to speak out against the misuse of the name. "Copeland told the truth," Densmore said, "which exposed lies. Copeland challenged their use of the Doors name. He said that it wouldn't be appropriate to call themselves the Doors. But if they didn't, the limos and big arenas might disappear."

In speaking with Densmore and reading his book, Manzarek comes across as an arrogant control-freak, while there is a genuine feeling of loss for Krieger as a friend. Yet, Densmore said he's now on speaking terms with both of them. ("I just talked to Robby a few days ago," he says cheerfully.) Yet despite years of in-fighting and ugly accusations, Densmore would still consider a Doors reunion.

"Being in a band is like polygamy, only without the sex," Densmore said. "Things happen. But I'd get together for a one-off if there's a good reason – but it would have to be for charity, not for money."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-doors-john-densmore-talks-about-the-b...
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2013 at 6:24pm by Heart Of Stone »  

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #10 - May 10th, 2013 at 5:51am
Did anyone see the "When You're Strange" doc?  It had some cool footage of HWY, but was 100% voiceover.

Opinions?

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Reply #11 - May 10th, 2013 at 6:32am
I knew Ian Astbury was in that Doors cover band, but had no idea Copeland was.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)