Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Happy Birthday Thriller! (nsc) (high VH content) (Read 1,614 times)
Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Happy Birthday Thriller! (nsc) (high VH content)
Nov 30th, 2012 at 1:08pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Good read on Eddie's take of his guest guitar solo on "Beat It".

Fess up...who didn't have a copy of Thriller in their household?

------------------
Eddie Van Halen deconstructs his collaboration on 'Beat It'
By Denise Quan, CNN

(CNN) -- Eddie Van Halen sits on a sofa in his home studio, smoking an electronic cigarette and reminiscing about the 30th anniversary of Michael Jackson's masterpiece album, "Thriller."

"It seems like yesterday, doesn't it," he says softly. "It would have been fun to work with him again."

Van Halen was a surprise guest on "Beat It," the album's third single. His blazing guitar solo lasted all of 20 seconds and took half an hour to record. He did it for free, as a favor to producer Quincy Jones, while the rest of his Van Halen bandmates were out of town.

"I said to myself, 'Who is going to know that I played on this kid's record, right? Nobody's going to find out.' Wrong!" he laughs. "Big-time wrong. It ended up being Record of the Year."

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer recently revealed to CNN what went on behind-the-scenes of his iconic collaboration with the King of Pop.

CNN: When Quincy rang you up, you thought it was a crank call.

Eddie Van Halen: I went off on him. I went, "What do you want, you f-ing so-and-so!" And he goes, "Is this Eddie?" I said, "Yeah, what the hell do you want?" "This is Quincy." I'm thinking to myself, "I don't know anyone named Quincy." He goes, "Quincy Jones, man." I went, "Ohhh, sorry!" (Laughs)

I asked, "What can I do for you?" And he said, "How would you like to come down and play on Michael Jackson's new record?" And I'm thinking to myself, "OK, 'ABC, 1, 2, 3' and me. How's that going to work?"

I still wasn't 100% sure it was him. I said, "I'll tell you what. I'll meet you at your studio tomorrow." And lo and behold, when I get there, there's Quincy, there's Michael Jackson and there's engineers. They're makin' records!

CNN: Did Quincy give you any direction about what he wanted you to do?

Van Halen: Michael left to go across the hall to do some children's speaking record. I think it was "E.T." or something. So I asked Quincy, "What do you want me to do?" And he goes, "Whatever you want to do." And I go, "Be careful when you say that. If you know anything about me, be careful when you say, "Do anything you want!"

I listened to the song, and I immediately go, "Can I change some parts?" I turned to the engineer and I go, "OK, from the breakdown, chop in this part, go to this piece, pre-chorus, to the chorus, out." Took him maybe 10 minutes to put it together. And I proceeded to improvise two solos over it.

I was just finishing the second solo when Michael walked in. And you know artists are kind of crazy people. We're all a little bit strange. I didn't know how he would react to what I was doing. So I warned him before he listened. I said, "Look, I changed the middle section of your song."

Now in my mind, he's either going to have his bodyguards kick me out for butchering his song, or he's going to like it. And so he gave it a listen, and he turned to me and went, "Wow, thank you so much for having the passion to not just come in and blaze a solo, but to actually care about the song, and make it better."

He was this musical genius with this childlike innocence. He was such a professional, and such a sweetheart.

CNN: That collaboration surprised a lot of people.

Van Halen: I'll never forget when Tower Records was still open over here in Sherman Oaks. I was buying something, and "Beat It" was playing over the store sound system. The solo comes on, and I hear these kids in front of me going, "Listen to this guy trying to sound like Eddie Van Halen." I tapped him on the shoulder and said, "That IS me!" That was hilarious.

CNN: How did you explain to the guys in Van Halen what had happened?

Van Halen: I just said, "You know. (Shrugs) Busted!" "Dave, you were out of the country!" "Al, you weren't around!" I couldn't call anyone and ask for permission.

Unfortunately, "Thriller" kept our album, "1984," from going to No. 1. Our album was just about ready to go No. 1 when he burned his hair in that Pepsi commercial, if you remember that. And boom, he went straight to No. 1 again!

CNN: Is there an album since then that has shaken things up in the same way?

Van Halen: Wow, I don't know.

CNN: Some people cite Nirvana's "Nevermind" has one that caused a musical shift.

Van Halen: But still not like that. Not that crossed over to such a mass audience. Nirvana was huge, but it didn't appeal to everyone.

I have a lot of respect for Michael. He's going to be sorely missed. I'd be curious as to what he'd be doing right now.

CNN: I believe Quincy has said he paid you in two six packs of beer.

Van Halen: Yeah, something like that. Actually, I brought my own, if I remember right.

I don't even think I'm credited on the record. It just says, "Guitar solo: Question Mark" or "Guitar solo: Frankenstein" (the name of his guitar).

CNN: Did you ever hear from Quincy again?

Van Halen: At the very end, Quincy wrote me a letter thanking me. It was signed, "The F-ing Blah Blah Blah," which I still have. It's very funny.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Right here in the USA
Re: Happy Birthday Thriller! (nsc) (high VH conten
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 1:27pm
Starbuck wrote on Nov 30th, 2012 at 1:08pm:

Me. Never. Ever.

...&&&&
IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Almere, Amsterdams ugly twin
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 4:47pm
Not any more. Used to love that album when I was 9 years old though.

I even saw Jacko on stage during the History Tour mid-90s. My gal had a cousin who did the PR for the Dutch show(s) and he got us a VIP package for free. I had a good time too.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 5:56pm
I actually never owed it...didn't have to...it came out at the end of my senior year in HS starting w/ Dog Gone Girl w/ Macca...
followed by the rest of the THRILLER singles every 12 weeks throughout my freshman year at college...
We even all gathered to watch the Thriller video Premier...
Of course every girl on campus had the cassette in their apt, in their car, in their Walkman...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 6:26pm
FPM wrote on Nov 30th, 2012 at 1:27pm:

Me. Never. Ever.

ditto

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 12:21am
mojoman wrote on Nov 30th, 2012 at 6:26pm:

Me. Never. Ever.

ditto

Geez.....even if you had one ...like you'd play that diddlin shit now.??.....and no I never a copy and hated every moment of the Jackson crap....except Janets titty Superball escape

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 6:42am

Me. Never. Ever.

Nor I.  Was not even tempted for a second.   I was 18 when that crap came out.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 8:32am
The only Jacksons/Michael Jackson record I've ever owned was the 'State of Shock' single they did with Jagger.

Didnt dislike his music but never felt inclined to buy any of it. My (future) wife did own his albums from that era however.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 9:00am
Yeah, I bought the C.D. I liked that song "Human Nature" that is the period 'known as the MTV Era, it seems the video's were as important as the music.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 10:03pm
Gazza wrote on Dec 1st, 2012 at 8:32am:
The only Jacksons/Michael Jackson record I've ever owned was the 'State of Shock' single they did with Jagger.

Didnt dislike his music but never felt inclined to buy any of it. My (future) wife did own his albums from that era however.

That's the only MJ on my iPod...personally, I think the song RAWKS!!

The Freddie Mercury version is quite amazing as well...Wish there were a finished version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbkFiM15Yhc

Here is the cosmic threesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP5kcOl7XO8
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2012 at 10:10pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 1:40am
I haven't heard the album, so I don't know anything. I do know that my ex-girlfriend was traumatized because her brothers would make her watch that video, against her will.

M. Jackson was talented, that's a given. But there are millions of talented people everywhere.

Maybe.

IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 4:05am
most of the album didn't age very well...

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 4:57am
Macca is in the album; and he's a genius. But a poor decision maker. He wrote songs with John Lennon, and Yoko Ono had to marry him. What the f?  At the sight of Yoko Ono, I would  run like a crazy asshole under the near vicinities.

I appreciate Jackson even more, because he's in that crazy movie called "The Wiz". That film gave me the chillies when I was a young kid, but now I'm not young aymore  (doesn't make sense; but screw it)

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 6:33am
Heart Of Stone wrote on Dec 1st, 2012 at 9:00am:
Yeah, I bought the C.D. I liked that song "Human Nature" that is the period 'known as the MTV Era, it seems the video's were as important as the music.

Thats my favourite song of his. Miles Davis, of all people, does a lovely cover version of it. I remember seeing a gig on TV in the mid/late 80s and being amazed that he performed it.

There are a few clips of him playing it on Youtube - some with Darryl Jones in his band.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 4:02pm
It drove a wedge between Eddie and Dave.

IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Almere, Amsterdams ugly twin
Reply #15 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 5:09pm
Never understood why Van Halen gets so much credit anyway: pretty boring band if you ask me. Fun when a songs comes up in a bar, but that's about it. But perhaps I just grew up on the wrong continent to enjoy their power pop.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)