Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mick Jagger Called On to Champion Amazon Tribes in (Read 479 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Mick Jagger Called On to Champion Amazon Tribes in
May 31st, 2012 at 8:53pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Mick Jagger Called On to Champion Amazon Tribes in Fight with Peru

Published May 31, 2012
Fox News Latino
http://latino.foxnews.com

Mick Jagger performs during the Rolling Stones concert at the San Siro stadium in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, July 11, 2006. The Rolling Stones started their 'A Bigger Band' European tour in Milan. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno)

A international advocacy group is hoping to put a halt to a Peruvian government’s shadowy mineral exploration program in the Amazon by enlisting rock legend Mick Jagger into the battle.

In letter to the Rolling Stones frontman, Survival International have asked Jagger to demand some answers about the controversial Camisea gas project in which the Peruvian government is attempting to find gas in an Amazonian reserve despite promises to indigenous peoples of the region not to do so.

“It’s ironic Peru’s newest gas project takes a name that epitomizes the reckless plunder of indigenous land,” wrote Survival International’s Director Stephen Corry in a press release. “Peru should stop and remind itself why these areas are protected, and Mick Jagger should use his honorary title to demand some answers.”

Jagger was named an Environmental Ambassador by Peru last year, after he visited the country’s Peru's Manú national park – a UNESCO world heritage site known for its extraordinary biodiversity that has the Kugapakori-Nahua-Nanti reserve as one of its buffer zones.

Peru should stop and remind itself why these areas are protected, and Mick Jagger should use his honorary title to demand some answers.
- Stephen Corry, director of Survival International

Nine years ago the country promised never to infringe on the Nahua-Nati Reserve, but, Survival international now claims that the Peruvian government is trying reverse its previous decision and has allegedly created a new exploration block for the state oil company PetroPeru in the area.

“Peru is legally obliged to protect the estimated 15 uncontacted tribes living in its Amazon forest. Furthermore, it gave undertakings not to expand the Camisea project into the isolated Indians’ territory – which it is now breaking,” Corry wrote in the letter to Jagger.
Peru’s vice-Minister for Culture told Survival International told survival that it planned to protect isolated Indian groups, but the country’s Energy Ministry and PetroPeru did not respond to Survival’s enquiries.

Survival International also noted that, in a strange twist of fate, Jagger filmed several scenes for Werner Herzog’s film 1982 Fitzcarraldo, about a rubber baron, before being replaced.

While Jagger has yet to respond to Survival’s request the advocacy group hopes that the rocker won’t give the Peruvian government any satisfaction. 

"As an honorary ambassador of Peru's Amazon Rainforest we urge you to call on the authorities to live up to their promises, and stop endangering the Indian's lives," Corry wrote.

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

gorda
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: Mick Jagger Called On to Champion Amazon Tribe
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2012 at 10:05pm
"Environmental Ambassador"

Wow!

I didn't know that!

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2 - May 31st, 2012 at 11:42pm
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2012 at 11:57pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 3:59pm
Meanwhile Bono is racing to the scene..............

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2012 at 12:40am
Jagger was named an Environmental Ambassador by Peru last year, after he visited the country’s Peru's Manú national park – a UNESCO world heritage site known for its extraordinary biodiversity that has the Kugapakori-Nahua-Nanti reserve as one of its buffer zones.

yeah there was a thread about this a while ago. MICK had taken L'Wren and his son Lucas with him to Peru and I was saying Lucas could be MICK's interpretor, but it was pointed out there are different languages spoken in Brazil and Peru which I wasnt aware of. Most of the thread was deleted since it went off topic. There were some interesting pics of MICK receiving gifts from officials. A good opportunity for MICK to use his influence to create awareness.

Gorda, you should of known this because you were the one who hijacked the thread with the Portuguese/Spainish argument, that they are similar, and Voodoo argued they are not! So I dont know the difference, I thought it was the same language spoken in both countries.  Here we go again?
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2012 at 12:44am by Bitch »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)