Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Iggy & The Stooges 'Raw Power' Box Set (nsc) (Read 2,612 times)
left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Iggy & The Stooges 'Raw Power' Box Set (nsc)
Feb 9th, 2010 at 5:21pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

Iggy and the Stooges Reveal Bonuses on “Raw Power” Box Set

2/9/10, 5:05 pm EST

Photo: © Mick Rock

Iggy and the Stooges’ 1973 classic Raw Power will be reissued April 27th as a Deluxe Edition box set complete with three discs worth of music featuring 15 previously unreleased bonuses — never-before-heard tracks, demos and remixes. One of Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, Raw Power was the first Stooges album to feature James Williamson on guitar in place of the great Ron Asheton, who switched to bass. The LP spawned the punk anthems “Search and Destroy” and “Gimme Danger.” As Rolling Stone previously reported, the Stooges, who will be inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March, will celebrate their third album by performing the whole LP in concert.

The first disc of the box set will contain the newly remastered Raw Power, featuring David Bowie’s original mix for the album that was previously out of print, while the second disc boasts the Georgia Peaches bootleg, comprised of an unreleased soundboard recording of a 1973 concert the Stooges performed in Atlanta, Georgia. Two more unreleased songs will grace the second disc: An Iggy Pop/James Williamson-penned outtake called “Doojiman” and a rehearsal performance of “Head On.” The third disc features four more outtakes — “I’m Hungry,” “I Got a Right,” “I’m Sick of You” and “Hey, Peter” — and alternate mixes of four tracks: “Shake Appeal,” “Death Trip” “Gimme Danger” and “Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell.”

The Raw Power: Deluxe Edition box set also includes a new hour-long making-of Raw Power documentary, a 48-page photo book and a replica of the 1973 Japanese “Raw Power” 7” single. The box set will only be available through the Iggy and the Stooges Website.

rollingstone.com
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2010 at 5:26pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Almere, Amsterdams ugly twin
Re: Iggy & The Stooges 'Raw Power' Box Set (nsc)
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 5:29pm
Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably pick this up the day it hits the stores. Those deluxe albums cost quite a bit, but any favorite that hits the stands with this kind of extra's is worth the cash.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 5:43pm
should be interesting to hear the remastered bowie mix... i hated iggy's mix... it was just all loud and worse mix than bowie's, which i thought was kinda messy.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 7:52pm
'Raw Power' To Start New Three-Year Stooges Cycle

Iggy Pop is eyeballing "a three-year cycle" for the current incarnation of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-bound the Stooges that will include the expanded re-release of 1973's seminal "Raw Power" album, touring and quite likely some new recording.

"We'll give it a good, sharp poke for the next three years and then step back and see where we are, see what we can do with it after that," Pop tells Billboard.com. "After that we should step back and pick our shots once in awhile. Hopefully we can be like something that convenes for certain occasions."

In the wake of founding guitarist Ron Asheton's death in January of 2008, Pop rekindled his relationship with James Williamson, who joined the group in 1971 and was Pop's chief collaborator on "Raw Power." Original drummer Scott "Rock Action" Asheton remains, as does bassist Mike Watt, who's been a Stooge since the group's 2003 reactivation, and saxophonist Steve Mackay. Pop says he expects the band -- which played a November "warm-up date" in Brazil -- to do "not more than about three months" on the road this year; 25 shows are already booked, he says, starting April 14 in Bourges, France, and including a Sept. 3 performance of "Raw Power" at the All Tomorrow's Parties festival in Monticello, N.Y.

"This year will probably heavier on the international (dates)," Pop says. "We haven't booked farther in the States because right now the world has made better offers...But I'm certain that sometime within the cycle we will do a proper U.S. tour as long as no one else expires or breaks. I'll see to that."

Pop also hopes to do some recording with the current Stooges lineup and is already in the midst of writing new material. "Once I stared working with Ron and Scott again," Pop explains, "it was important to me intellectually that the group be resurrected, not just reunified. So that meant we had to be writing and releasing new material." He's working on some ideas that the Ashetons cooked up shortly before Ron's death -- including one song about the Three Stooges -- while Williamson, who's resumed his music career after retiring from Sony Electronics, "is already on me like a greased cat. He's sending me riffs, so I did some vocals to a couple of them and it's starting to sound like something."

Pop says he'd also like to consider recording heavily bootlegged Stooges songs that were rejected by record labels between 1970's "Fun House" and "Raw Power" and also material written after the latter was released. "Ultimately I'd like to get into the studio with the group and maybe have a couple old songs, a couple new songs and then a little time to just jam and see what happens," Pop says.

The Stooges -- joined by "Raw Power" era touring member Scott Thurston, now of Tom Petty's Heartbreakers -- will perform at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on March 15 in New York City. "Raw Power" comes out in two versions -- a two-CD Legacy Edition with a "George Peaches" live recording and a three-CD/one DVD Deluxe Edition with a rarities disc and documentary -- on April 13. Williamson, meanwhile, is remixing the post-Stooges "Kill City" album he and Pop recorded in 1975 and released in 1977 for reissue later this year.

http://www.billboard.com/news/rock-hall-raw-power-to-start-new-three-year-100406...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 6:26am
I saw yesterday VH1 Behind The Music about Iggy, I got "Raw Power" when it first came out & it was fantastic & still is, great to hear Bowie's arrangement on it, although if he was on drugs back then like he once mentioned about the "Ziggy Stardust soundtrack "I don't know what I was on, but it was mixed terrible"

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 7:07am
Is Iggy's Irish-Nigerian ex girlfriend really a tranny?

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 11:36am
Zack wrote on Feb 20th, 2010 at 7:07am:
Is Iggy's Irish-Nigerian ex girlfriend really a tranny?

I stood next to his g/f at a show in SF, beautiful, but def. some fake boobs and other work, and did have that, could be anything feel... I think she was asian, very exotic looking... not sure if this is same girl you're asking about. I don't think she was a once a man, but you never know. I've seen post-ops that are gorgeous looking women.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 4:27am
McGinnis: A conversation with James Williamson
Written by Jeff McGinnis | | [email protected]

If only we all could retire like James Williamson.

He’d spent the better part of the last 30 years working at Sony Electronics, Inc. In 2009, he was offered early retirement from his position as Vice President of Technology Standards. What to do with all his new free time?

How about, reunite with the band that helped define punk rock, just in time for a reunion tour and to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Williamson was one of the major creative forces behind Iggy and the Stooges, the protopunk band that helped define punk rock. Then, after a falling out with Iggy Pop, Williamson just walked away. So why has he come back now, after all this time?

“What it boils down to is, Ronnie (Asheton, guitarist and co-songwriter for the Stooges) died last year, and so Iggy and I started talking again,” Williamson said. “Once (retirement) happened, then I said to myself, well, you know, now I’m available. So, I felt like I owed it to those guys. We all go back into our 20’s together, and know each other really well…

“So that’s why I did it — I felt like I could do it, I owed it to them, and I felt like maybe it would be fun and we could get a little closure after all these years.”

Of course, preparing to perform onstage isn’t easy for the youngest of spring-chicken rockers out there. Add 30 years of life and time away from rock, and you can see the uphill climb Williamson faced as he prepared to reunite with the Stooges.

“It was a bitch. I had been playing a little bit, mostly for –well, totally for my own amusement,” Williamson said.

“Luckily, some local guys that I knew around here offered to loan me their band (Careless Hearts) to rehearse with. Because, you know, playing by yourself and playing with a band is a whole different thing.”

The reunited Stooges’ first concert was in November, in front of 30,000 people in Sao Paulo, Brazil. More dates are scheduled in Europe this spring. The tour is just one of many huge events for the band this year, among them the re-release of the classic album “Raw Power” on April 27. Williamson deflects compliments about how revolutionary “Power” was, however.

“People give us more credit than we deserve. The process was pretty much seat-of-the-pants. We got over to London, and did a lot of rehearsing, so the band was very tight. And we thought we were gonna first record some of the material we already had left over from 1971 — like, ‘I Gotta Light,’ ‘Sick of You,’ and those songs. And we went in and did demo tapes of them, and the management kept rejecting them. There was pressure on us to write some hits.”

So Williamson and Pop worked on writing a whole new set of songs, James writing the music, Iggy the lyrics. The album’s influential sound may have been the result of a happy accident of scheduling more than anything. “We came up with this new set of material about the time that the management got diverted with David Bowie. So we got to go into the studio by ourselves — no producer, no nothing — just our songs, and got to lay down that record. And I think we got to capture something that’s rarely captured on record because of that fact.”

Although the album wasn’t a smash when it was first released, “Power”’s revolutionary sound has been credited with influencing a whole generation of punk artists. The long-reaching influence of the album, and the Stooges, have given the band a larger place in history as time has passed — culminating, finally, in their election to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year.

“None of the band thought we were gonna get in, so we had kinda gotten cynical after seven years of getting rejected, being nominated and not making the cut. We were gonna have to be satisfied with setting a record for not getting in. But, turns out we got in,” Williamson said.

The Stooges will officially be inducted on March 15. And after that, the group begins its tour, which Williamson hopes will effect fans young and old.

“I hope we can show them how to rock,” Williamson said. “I think we still rock out up there. And I think a lot of the younger guys in bands these days, from what I hear, just aren’t rocking that much. They do a lot of other things. They emote, they…I don’t know what they do! It’s just not rock ‘n roll anymore. So I feel that maybe we have something to contribute in that regard. Because, it’s not a matter of your age or your emotion, it’s a whole approach to music that I think is missing these days.”

Email Jeff at [email protected].

http://www.toledofreepress.com/2010/03/05/mcginnis-a-conversation-with-james-wil...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 5:31am
POSTED: MARCH 7, 2010
Iggy Pop takes some convincing that hall of fame really wants the Stooges
BY BRIAN MCCOLLUM
FREE PRESS POP MUSIC WRITER

http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bildeSite=C4&Date=20100307&Category=ENT04...
Iggy & the Stooges in 1972. From left: James Williamson, Iggy Pop, Scott Asheton and Ron Asheton. (MICK ROCK)

Seven tries. Seven strikeouts.

Surely you can forgive Iggy Pop a little skepticism about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

When he got the news in mid-December -- his Stooges had finally, mercifully made the hall of fame cut -- the front man's reaction was understandable.

"My first thought was, 'OK -- now what are they going to do to kick us out?' "

The line is followed by Iggy's familiar cackle, but you get the sense he's only half joking. Iggy's favorite version of the Stooges story is that of the snakebitten band -- a tale of bad breaks, missed chances and untimely self-destruction for a group that cut its teeth on the vaunted Detroit scene of the late 1960s.

But it's probably about time we added "redemption" to that list: The little-band-that-couldn't is now officially the historic force that has. Reunited in 2003 amid hosannas from younger acts who fully grasped the Stooges' musical import, the band has enjoyed a new lease on life, marred only by last year's unexpected death of founding guitarist Ron Asheton.

On March 15, Iggy and his band mates -- including Asheton's brother, drummer Scott -- will step before a tuxedoed crowd at New York's Waldorf Astoria to graciously accept induction into the rock hall, joining the 2010 class of ABBA, Genesis, the Hollies and Jimmy Cliff. As is custom, the group will get a performance slot, during which the Stooges will play what Iggy sardonically describes as "our two big hits." (He won't divulge names.)

He'd given up on the prospect.

"It's an honor," says the 62-year-old Iggy. "And I do think the group belongs there. If you're going to take the honor at face value -- ignoring the corruption that's endemic to any institution -- then it's great. I mean, Fats Domino! Come on. It's all the great musicians from a great music form."

A long time coming
The Stooges became eligible for the rock hall way back in 1994, a quarter-century after the release of their self-titled debut record. What followed was like a replay of the band's early days, when respect from hipster quarters failed to convert into a broader embrace. Seven times the Stooges made the nomination round, handpicked by a committee of rock experts; seven times they were shot down at the finish line by the 500 writers and executives who make up the hall's electorate.

"I kept hearing it's a bunch of 40- to 60-year-old guys," says Iggy of the balloters. "It's funny to me: I still think like a kid, so when I hear 'males 40 to 60,' I think, 'Ugh, yeah, they hate us.' Then I realized, wait a minute -- that means they're all younger than me."

That cackle emerges again -- a glimpse of the infectious, devil-may-care vibe that still permeates everything Iggy. It was the same spirit that guided classic work like "Funhouse" and "Raw Power," the latter slated for a deluxe boxed-set release April 13. The Stooges' primal rock maelstrom, a sinewy blast of punk and metal before those genres had names, was Detroit through and through.

Indeed, the Stooges' induction next week will bring Detroit's hall of fame tally to 17 acts -- more than 10% of the total. (And that doesn't even count temporary residents like Al Green and Del Shannon.)

The Stooges got a taste of hall of fame pizzazz in 2008, when Madonna enlisted them for her induction performance, welcoming the band onstage as "another ass-kicker from Michigan." Hours before the show, Ron Asheton had spoken to the Free Press with obvious bemusement about the whole odd affair.

"Basically she was upset that we've been nominated so many times and never made it, so she asked us to play in protest," he said. It wasn't the first time: The previous year's closing jam session saw inductees whipping up a version of the Stooges' "I Wanna Be Your Dog."

The Madonna night was to be Asheton's lone hall of fame appearance. Within 10 months he was dead, having succumbed to a heart attack at home in Ann Arbor.

Filling the guitar role now is a returned James Williamson, whose gritty, roaring riffs drove the Stooges' "Raw Power" in 1973. He left the rock 'n' roll life in 1976, and embarked on a business career that made him a vice president with Sony Electronics.

Williamsons' wife, daughter and son will be on hand for the ceremony March 15, the latest high point in what's been a whirlwind few months since he rejoined the band.

Williamson was deep into his globetrotting executive life in the '90s as the Stooges' historical revisionism kicked in. Amid the rise of Nirvana, punk's rebirth and the garage-rock revival, the once-beleaguered Detroit band was getting a positive reassessment, two decades after its inglorious split.

"It was astonishing to me," Williamson recalls. "I didn't believe it, having lived through the rejection of the Stooges by everybody. Literally, our tours were like death marches through the country. Everyone hated us.

"So when people started giving us all these accolades, calling me for interviews, I thought they were just blowing smoke."

Regional taste
Grande Ballroom founder Russ Gibb was in the thick of it all in 1968 when the Stooges arrived on the Detroit scene from Ann Arbor, honing what became a legendary live show. Gibb, who saw Iggy Pop take the Grande stage wrapped in aluminum foil, singing into a prop toilet bowl, is convinced the herky-jerky front man invented the art of stage-diving with his high-charged Detroit audiences.

He also gets why the Stooges faced a long haul to the rock hall. It was the same struggle he saw years ago, when the band captivated its hometown while failing to stir outsiders. Rock culture may have couched itself against the conventional establishment, but the Stooges grated against rock's own established conventions.

"Early on, the people who liked them were the avant garde -- the kids who had long hair long before anyone else in Michigan, wearing bell-bottoms, who liked their music loud," says Gibb. "There's always this group of people who are doing things the great masses don't catch on to.

"Part of the problem the Stooges had is their base was here in Michigan. It became a very intense fan club. But New York and L.A. didn't catch on. So the belly of the beast was filled, but nobody else understood what they'd eaten. Iggy put a show to rock 'n' roll before rock 'n' roll understood it had a show to put on."

Iggy takes it all in stride. He may not be convinced he's made it until he's handed a plaque on March 15. He needed some reassurance from friends after the December news.

"No, you don't understand -- you're in it. They can't kick you out," he recounts their telling him. "And even if they do, at least you've been in it."

Contact BRIAN McCOLLUM: 313-223-4450 or [email protected]

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100307/ENT04/3070341/1322/Iggy...

IP Logged

Mr. Sex Drugs Rock n Roll
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 10:38am
This sounds awesome, I signed up on the website for more info about the deluxe edition box set

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 4:46am
POSTED: MARCH 7, 2010
Familiar gig for Stooges guitarist James Williamson
BY BRIAN MCCOLLUM

http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bildeSite=C4&Date=20100307&Category=ENT04...
James Williamson of the Stooges (SONY/LEGACY RECORDINGS)

He wrote the template for punk guitar playing, then disappeared.

And now James Williamson is back with the Stooges, the band he helped save decades ago -- just in time for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The years outside rock 'n' roll were good to the 60-year-old ex-Detroiter, who resides in California's Bay Area. Rejoining the Stooges last year meant leaving behind a life of executive suites and world travel: Williamson resigned as vice president of technology standards for Sony Electronics.

Not a surprise achievement for a guy once lauded as a boy genius: Williamson was a 22-year-old wunderkind when he joined the Stooges in 1971, just as other members began a descent into heroin addiction. He went on to cowrite the "Raw Power" album in 1973 -- his searing lead guitar heating up songs like "Search and Destroy" -- before setting aside his guitar in 1976.

He didn't touch it again for three decades, and Williamson watched from afar as his old band mates reunited in 2003.

When founding guitarist Ron Asheton died in January '09, front man Iggy Pop was left with a dilemma: Call it a day for the Stooges or try to carry on?

"I started playing the records, and they were just so good," says Iggy. "The material was so compelling. I kept trying to come up with these reasons not to do it. Finally I just said (screw) it. Let's give it a whirl."

With prompting from drummer Scott Asheton, he called Williamson. The guitarist did "some serious soul-searching" before saying yes.

"I realized that, hey, these guys need me, and I can do it. So I kind of owe it to them," he says.

He quit his Sony position and began rehearsing in June, relearning his old licks to prepare for his comeback gig, a November show in Brazil.

"It took a while to get it all firing again, but I came around," he says. "And lucky for me -- it was my music and my playing, so it was natural."

The group will hit the road this spring, accompanied by April's deluxe "Raw Power" boxed set, which Williamson helped compile. The Stooges of today are a far cry from the band he left behind, says the guitarist.

"These guys are all business now," he says. "They're working very hard out there. Iggy has gotten very professional, which is very different. He's still a very intense guy onstage, and it's great to see."

And it's a good time to get sentimental about what Williamson describes as "a crucial thing in my life."

"I've forgotten plenty of it," says Williamson, "but never how important it was to me."

http://www.freep.com/article/20100307/ENT04/3070343/1035/Ent/Familiar-gig-for-St...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 3:08pm

The Stooges first album is getting reissued, too.

www.rhino.com/article/stooges-conquer-hall-fame

IP Logged

Mr. Sex Drugs Rock n Roll
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 10:27pm
got an e-mail from iggy, he said the raw power box set is on sale for $59.99 on the website

great value if I do say so Mr Watts really?
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2010 at 10:41pm by Mr. Sex Drugs Rock n Roll »  

IP Logged

buddhabone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

California
Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 10:48pm
I believe the only revenue being generated in the business is re-issues.

Seriously.

IP Logged

macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - May 3rd, 2010 at 9:54pm
Pdog wrote on Feb 9th, 2010 at 5:43pm:
should be interesting to hear the remastered bowie mix... i hated iggy's mix... it was just all loud and worse mix than bowie's, which i thought was kinda messy.

i am gonna have to disagree with ya there, ol' buddy. for one, the low end of ig's mix has some oomph (the bowie mix does not). i just rec'd my copy - nice packaging, the book is better than most that come with these sort of things, and the extras are top notch (i havent listened to the extra discs yet, nor have i watched the dvd, though i have read some reviews of the latter that all agree the docu is good stuff), but they shouldve included ig's mix. i just listened to the bowie mix (disc one) and "search and destroy" still sounds way thin, which is kinda tough 'cos it is the opener and its sound should have some balls, but it just doesnt, and (imo) this is 'cos the tracks lacks the low end. on the ig mix, that tune hits ya like a 2x4, but there is alot more bass. the mix gets better as the album moves along, and it sounds better than my old bowie mix cd copy, but my ig mix sounds the best of all (again, imo).

buddhabone wrote on Mar 16th, 2010 at 10:48pm:
I believe the only revenue being generated in the business is re-issues.

Seriously.

well, in this case, the album didnt really light up the charts, so the reissue kind of shines a light on a great album that was often overlooked. funny, 'cos everybody knows the cover shot, and people know who iggy is, but many dont know the music, esp. the stooges stuff, so maybe this will get some of them on the bus, so to speak...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)