Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Empower Field Mile High, Denver CO, June 20, 2024 © Helen H. Richardson/The Denver Post (fire by Voodoo)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Live At The Max DVD/Blu-ray (Read 2,194 times)
left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Live At The Max DVD/Blu-ray
Nov 9th, 2009 at 7:20pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

Rolling Stones Live at the Max Digitally Re-Mastered DVD and Blu-ray to be Released on November 10
RELEASE CELEBRATES THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE STEEL WHEELS TOUR

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Rolling Stones Steel Wheels tour, Universal Music Group and S2BN Entertainment announce the digitally re-mastered release of Rolling Stones Live at the Max on DVD and Blu-ray tomorrow, November 10, 2009. Live at the Max was the first feature-length IMAX concert film to be shot and, to this day, it holds the record as the most successful IMAX concert film of all time.

Offering every fan the best seat in the house, Live at the Max features 90 minutes of classic Rolling Stones footage shot during the European leg of their Steel Wheels tour in London, Berlin and Turin, and showcases 16 songs including classic favorites such as "Start Me Up," "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," and "Honky Tonk Woman." The digitally remastered release of Live at the Max will be launched alongside the reissue of five Rolling Stones live albums: Love You Live, Still Life, Flashpoint, the much-loved Stripped and Live Licks.

Live at the Max is available online at Amazon and at local retail outlets worldwide.

The Rolling Stones are renowned for their dynamic live shows, DVDs and films which include Four Flicks, a four-disc DVD set that was certified 19-times platinum and is the number one selling concert (long form) DVD in U.S. history, as well as the Martin Scorsese directed 2008 blockbuster documentary Shine a Light.

Live at the Max delivers unparalleled visual and audio quality for a viewing experience that is superior to any other live concert video.

The Rolling Stones: Live at the Max

1. Continental Drift
  2. Start Me Up
  3. Sad Sad Sad
  4. Tumbling Dice
  5. Ruby Tuesday
  6. Rock And A Hard Place
  7. Honky Tonk Woman
  8. You Can't Always Get What You Want
  9. Happy
 10. Paint It Black
 11. 2,000 Light Years From Home  12. Sympathy For The Devil
 13. Street Fighting Man
 14. It's Only Rock 'N' Roll
 15. Brown Sugar
 16. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/rolling-stones-live-at-the-max-digitally-re-mas...
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2009 at 7:23pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Re: Live At The Max DVD/Blu-ray
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 9:05pm
Apart from tracks 1, 3 and 6...Same ole same ole...same ole...not that most bands aren't doing that...(see AC/DC thread)...but still...kinda makes me wonder...
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2009 at 9:07pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 9:17pm
Ooo Ooo!! Was live at the Max the first concert film ever to be shown in IMAX theaters?

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 9:30pm
I have this on laser disc, since this has no bonus I won't buy it

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 11:15pm
I did not know Four Flicks is the best selling concert DVD in The States but I did know it sold pretty well.

*One thing that is certain I think anyone on this board will agree to is that The Stones have Soooo much concert footage and a total slew of well made products featuring them on film as where other long lasting acts, such as Led Zepplin, The Who, AC/DC and Pink Floyd to name some, may have some products but no where near the amount The Stones have in live footage and special products pertaining to their tours and live shows.

For this we are really blessed. For example just look at Led Zepplin. A favorite classic rock act to so many ...yet there is minimal live footage of them for some reason and only like,.. one.. major (The Song Remains The Same) film of a live show from them. The Stones have so many. That is a real plus. When you are tired of one you just pop in another next time ....or another ....or another. Still it does not seem like they really totally OVER do it with live films. They arrive just when the times right again it seems.

Ian
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2009 at 11:17pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 11:25pm
Zeppelin made music, not movies.....although I prefer studio Stones, but enjoy live Zeppelin far more then live Stones.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 11:49pm

*Ian -
Perhaps they flew under your "long lasting act" radar, but the Grateful Dead have released a considerable amount of live videos and concert films - www.deaddisc.com/GDFD_Videos.htm

Back on topic, I loved the Steel Wheels tour and saw 'At The Max' in an IMAX theatre.
Pretty impressive stuff, but to me Keef was always 200 feet tall...
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2009 at 12:10am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

CrissCrossMind
Rocks Off Regular

Southside of Chicago Baby ...
Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 12:52am
"first feature-length IMAX concert film to be shot and, to this day, it holds the record as the most successful IMAX concert film of all time." ... key word IMAX film ... on Four Flicks you have to multiply the units by 4 ...

The Rolling Stones had a great career "Hot Rocks" before Zepp ... a better career during Zepp years '68-'78 ... a storied career after Zepp "it aont over" ... there is no comparrison ... The Rolling Stones Rule!! ... plus best LIVE act ever hands down!!

Beggars vs Zepp I ... gotta go Beggars ...
Let It Bleed vs Zepp II ... Bleed baby
Sticky Fingers vs Zepp III ... da Stones baby ...
Exile vs. Zepp IV ... make it 4 in a row during prime!!!
Goats Head va Houses ... ok slight edge Zepp
IORR vs PG ... double lp edge Zepp
Black & Blue vs Presence ... Stones roll over that stiff ...
Some Girls vs In Thru the Out Door ... Stones stomp that sucker ... Oh no! not you again
Tattoo You vs Coda ... Stones back catalog crushes Zepp again

Head to Head that's the Stones 7 out of 9 times!!!

Ya - Ya's vs The Song Remains The Same ... no fucking contest ... hell Love You Live is better than any Zepp Live stuff!!

So Zepp fans suck the Big One pleas ...

yonder comes a woman ...

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 6:28am
I just got a new Blu-ray player that also plays Divx, fantastic quality, even the non blu-ray discs (regular DVD's) are better quality, I'll have to dig out Four Flicks again & watch it, along with all my other Stones DVD's.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 6:39am
Continental Drift was not performed live. It was used as the intro music on the Steel Wheels tour. Parts of this film were reshot on a soundstage to get some shots they could not get live.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 8:08am
I dont think there were complaints about the setlist in 89 due to the huge time they were off on solo projects. A whole new generation of fans had never heard what are now the war horses. Paint It Black and 2000 Years were also revelations on Steel Wheels Tour.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 8:32am
Weird...this news of the 20th anniversary of AT THE MAX...which was partialy filmed in BERLIN...was announced on the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall...(Nov 9)

Now yesterday...we see this article that mentions the Stones and IMAX...Once again...it shows, while the Stones didn't INVENT the IMAX concept...they did make it their own with a slew of others to follow...20 years later!!!

Chesney plans to get close to fans in 'Summer in 3-D'

For each of the past eight years, Kenny Chesney has sold more than 1 million tickets to his concerts. Next year, he hopes to bring that kind of clout to the movie box office.

Following in the footsteps of acts like U2 and the Rolling Stones, the decade's top concert draw will release a 3-D movie next spring.

"I've been trying for years to have the audience closer to me and to have me be closer to them," Chesney says. "With this production, they can't get any closer."

For Kenny Chesney: Summer in 3-D, more than 20 cameras followed him at summer's stadium concerts in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Seattle, San Francisco and Foxborough, Mass. The film will be released via the Hot Ticket, a Sony Pictures alternative-content division that distributes concerts, theater and sporting events.

Rory Bruer, Sony's head of distribution, says he expects Summer in 3-D to play on at least 750 screens in April. "Kenny's not going to be touring next year," he says. "This is going to be a chance for (fans) to spend some time with Kenny, and I think they're going to enjoy having front-row seats."

The film will feature more than Chesney's stage show. Before his June concert at Pittsburgh's Heinz Field, for example, Chesney took the 3-D cameras to a houseboat on the Ohio River. "We did a 35-minute show with all the tailgaters, right on the water. Unless you're down there, nobody gets to see that."

While Chesney won't mount a full-fledged tour in 2010, he has announced headlining festival appearances at the Bayou Country Superfest in Baton Rouge in May and BamaJam in Enterprise, Ala., in June. A few more could follow.

"I'm still going to do eight to 10 shows," Chesney says. He'll spend the year concentrating on the movie, a new album and his No Shoes Radio online station, as well as his personal life. "I've been giving to one thing for so long, and that's just not OK with me anymore."

He'll perform for the first time since wrapping his 2009 tour at Wednesday's Country Music Association Awards (ABC, 8 p.m. ET/PT), singing his latest single, I'm Alive, with Dave Matthews.

He also could win a record-setting fifth entertainer-of-the-year award. He's tied with Garth Brooks with four wins, but admits he likes the idea of having the record to himself.

"The pressure on me is how I do a better show," Chesney says. "But who wouldn't want to have their name in the history books like that?"

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2009-11-09-chesney09_ST_N.htm
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2009 at 8:33am by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:00am
Just what I need a giant stupid black  3D plastic cowboy hat jumping out from the screen at my head. Kenny Freakin Chesney?...geeeeessssshhhhhhhh. Isnt he about ready to assume Garth Brooks old alter ego Chris Gaines?
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:28am by gimmekeef »  

IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:16am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Nov 9th, 2009 at 9:30pm:
I have this on laser disc, since this has no bonus I won't buy it

I'll second that...

Oh no! not you again

IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #14 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:26am
CrissCrossMind wrote on Nov 10th, 2009 at 12:52am:
Some Girls vs In Thru the Out Door ... Stones stomp that sucker ... Oh no! not you again

Ya - Ya's vs The Song Remains The Same ... no fucking contest ... hell Love You Live is better than any Zepp Live stuff!!

Would be interesting to see what others here make of this. Your comparisons are identical to what I'd select, too -- Houses and PG taking the edges for the only Zep albums...

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #15 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:31am
Lazy Bones wrote on Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:26am:

Would be interesting to see what others here make of this. Your comparisons are identical to what I'd select, too -- Houses and PG taking the edges for the only Zep albums...

Guys if this was posted on a Zep board they would have it 9-0 Zep. They are as fanatical as we are without the snide senses of humor. Plus I doubt they pass panties all over the globe between tours either!

IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #16 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:45am
gimmekeef wrote on Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:31am:
Lazy Bones wrote on Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:26am:

Guys if this was posted on a Zep board they would have it 9-0 Zep. They are as fanatical as we are without the snide senses of humor. Plus I doubt they pass panties all over the globe between tours either!

A "fanatic", if a true fan of music in general, should be able to decipher quality -- or, let's say, benchmark recordings in the history of music -- even if it's not out of their base camp.
Zep live was a jam band. If you love jam band style, and regard it ultimate, all else is inferior. Even hardcore Stones' fans won't talk them out of it...
I'll be the first to say the Stones have had some horrific recordings...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Rocks Off Regular

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #17 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 11:26am

I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you and I realize this is a Stones board and the Stones are my favorite band. I'll even concede all your other points. But their is NO WAY IN HELL B & B is better than Presence. Presence is an understated masterpiece. The only reason it was'nt bigger was because not much of it was played live and Zep broke up.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #18 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 11:50am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Nov 10th, 2009 at 11:26am:

I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you and I realize this is a Stones board and the Stones are my favorite band. I'll even concede all your other points. But their is NO WAY IN HELL B & B is better than Presence. Presence is an understated masterpiece. The only reason it was'nt bigger was because not much of it was played live and Zep broke up.

It is a very good album. Personally, I wouldn't call it a masterpiece...

The main reason, imo, why it wasn't "bigger", was because it was rushed. The band admitted it and it never fulfilled the high quality standards of previous, time-perfected Zep albums that encompassed finer tuning.

Must admit, however, Achilles Last Stand is one of my favourite Zep songs. Don't think I could hack the sun setting agony of its live renditions though...

IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #19 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 5:45pm
"first feature-length IMAX concert film to be shot and, to this day, it holds the record as the most successful IMAX concert film of all time." ... key word IMAX film ... on Four Flicks you have to multiply the units by 4 ...

The Rolling Stones had a great career "Hot Rocks" before Zepp ... a better career during Zepp years '68-'78 ... a storied career after Zepp "it aont over" ... there is no comparrison ... The Rolling Stones Rule!! ... plus best LIVE act ever hands down!!

So Zepp fans suck the Big One pleas ...

I'm sure this was directed at me since my response included LZ. I will respond. IF you READ what I wrote, you would have seen I stated I prefer the Stones on album. However, I'm not a fan of Exile, so I would pick LZ 4 and w/o a doubt I would take Presence over Black n Blue.

Otherwise I would agree with the rest of the album picks. Where I vastly differ in my opinion, which probably got criscross' panties in a wad, I believe LZ's live performance was far superior to the Stones. Better sound, more jamming less "show" and more music.

Although they are both guilty of having repetitive setlists.
I tip my hat to Bill, Mick T. and Led Zep....when they felt it was over, it was over. All those parties could've whored themselves out and collected boatloads of money. They didn't and more power to them, not many people put principle before money.

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #20 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 6:43pm
Agreed on Zep vs Stones, except for Presence, Achille's Last Stand has to be one of the best songs ever, certainly the best "long song" ever !

As for the Max, might be tempted by the BR version, I saw it when it came out in 1991 at the Geode in Paris and got the DVD, but it's not very good quality, might have to play it in my PS3 tomorrow to check it out.

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #21 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 8:08pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Nov 10th, 2009 at 11:26am:

words of wisdom--'Presence' is probably my fave Zep album...btw, 'Live At The Max' is excellent...the band was in top form when the cameras were rolling in London 1990

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #22 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 8:16pm
they really could've padded this with some extras... just tossing in the music videos from steel wheels and the flashpoint studio stuff they made music vids for... ust amazes me how much they miss stuff that seems like no work and would get a good response...

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #23 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 1:43am
Good point, it's probably some silly licensing issue that would have cost same lawyer time. A buck is a buck, eh...

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #24 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 3:12pm
While it would be nice that every archive release contain bonus material, I think it's fantastic they saw fit to rerelease this after so many years. I saw the disc at the store. Those with BIG tv sets will enjoy this, expecially if you have a great sound system. I remember getting this on VHS and hearing it through a 5.1 system and thinking I was on the stage with the band. The near 20 years of audio and video technology will hopefully benefit the disc.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)