Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Empower Field Mile High, Denver CO, June 20, 2024 © Helen H. Richardson/The Denver Post

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Through the Lonely Nights Appreciation Thread (Read 1,383 times)
Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Through the Lonely Nights Appreciation Thread
Oct 26th, 2009 at 9:57am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Apologies in advance.  We're due for one of these.  With the colder weather, we all need a healthy dose of Goat's Head Soup and songs of its era.

When did I mislead ya?

Love the ad libbing at the end.

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

London
Re: Through the Lonely Nights Appreciation Thread
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:01am
A fantastic ballad: perhaps, it was wasted as a b-side - it's certainly better than most of IORR, IMO - but it's relative obscurity perhaps adds to the recordings sense of greatness.

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:16am
It DID appear on "Rarities" but then again that's nothing to brag about.  It's better than most of IORR for sure, but would it have fit with the more playful nature of the album?

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

London
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:57am
Like the live, Let It Rock b-side, I guess it featured on Rarities due to it only previously been available on a long-out-of-print 45rpm!

When you think about it, perhaps it wouldn't have fitted in with the feel of the IORR album, but its still a better track then Do You Really Want To Be My Friend, Fingerprint File, et al.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 11:42am
A lot of fans on these boards seem to rave about it, for some reason, but I've always thought it's status was more to do with it being hard to find than its actual musical worth.

I dont think its any great shakes. It was put out as a b-side which was about right. And it was an old recording at that. Its actually a GHS leftover (it was recorded in Jamaica) and not an IORR one.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 12:04pm
Great song.  Wouldn't fit too well on the IORR album, but I think GHS would've been improved if they had swapped it in for Coming Down Again (maybe a slightly different running order though).  I do find it pretty odd they didn't include it on Made in the Shade.

Also love Fingerprint File - its different but an easy album highlight for me.  Almost makes up for some of the half assed tracks in the middle of the record.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 1:40pm
I loved "Lonely Nights" as the B-side of the 45 and collected two copies, which I still have.  I'm glad you can get it on a legit CD.  It deserves an airy Mickboy remix.

But lately, I notice how it's a knock-off of Gram Parsons' Everly Bros. cover, "Sleepless Nights."  Written by the couple who brought you "Love Hurts."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEHH7kmI2LU
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2009 at 1:57pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 2:45pm
Love it...
I had the b-side 45 - but i can see how it didn't make it on the lp.
Its nice, warm, romantic and delicious..that's what the stones were in 73-74...there was very little angst back then - it was stones era that is bygone and that we will never see the likes of again, but that's what was so great about songs like this - it encapsulates a brief time in stones history..

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 5:44pm
BrendanD wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 12:04pm:
Great song.  Wouldn't fit too well on the IORR album, but I think GHS would've been improved if they had swapped it in for Coming Down Again (maybe a slightly different running order though).  I do find it pretty odd they didn't include it on Made in the Shade.

'Made in the Shade' was a sampler/best of compilation from their first 4 albums on Rolling Stone Records.

Wasnt really the done thing to pad out a compilation LP back then- especially when youre limited minutes wise because of the vinyl format - with unreleased or rare material.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 5:45pm
andrews27 wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 1:40pm:
But lately, I notice how it's a knock-off of Gram Parsons' Everly Bros. cover, "Sleepless Nights."  

Good call. Never noticed that before.

... ... ...
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 6:27pm
I've always kinda liked the simple little song...

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 6:44pm
andrews27 wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 1:40pm:
I loved "Lonely Nights" as the B-side of the 45 and collected two copies, which I still have.  I'm glad you can get it on a legit CD.  It deserves an airy Mickboy remix.

But lately, I notice how it's a knock-off of Gram Parsons' Everly Bros. cover, "Sleepless Nights."  Written by the couple who brought you "Love Hurts."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEHH7kmI2LU

Word.  The first verse and the melody are definitely a little similar.  After that, TTLN comes into its own.

I feel another B-side, Think I'm Going Mad, is quite similar to this one.  Same chord progression, ad libbing, subject matter (sort of).  I dig 'em both.

IP Logged

Trey Krimsin
Rocks Off Regular

Slots Rule You Bastards!!!!!!

Thomasville, North Carolina
Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 7:18pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 11:42am:
A lot of fans on these boards seem to rave about it, for some reason, but I've always thought it's status was more to do with it being hard to find than its actual musical worth.

I dont think its any great shakes. It was put out as a b-side which was about right. And it was an old recording at that. Its actually a GHS leftover (it was recorded in Jamaica) and not an IORR one.

I figured it was a GHS leftover when I first heard it. There was a mood the song had that fit GHS more compared to IORR, which was more soulful and funky. I really like Through the Lonely Nights myself for the mood it creates and not the actual song in relation to structure and lyrics.

It's just that demon life, it got me in its sway - MJ/KR

My first published comic work can be found here! And this is only the beginning...:
http://www.grayhavencomics.com/comics/the-gathering-faithtime-travel/

[img]
WWW https://www.facebook.com/rodney.traynham Trey+Krimsin  
IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #13 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 12:18am
Gazza wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 5:44pm:
BrendanD wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 12:04pm:
Great song.  Wouldn't fit too well on the IORR album, but I think GHS would've been improved if they had swapped it in for Coming Down Again (maybe a slightly different running order though).  I do find it pretty odd they didn't include it on Made in the Shade.

'Made in the Shade' was a sampler/best of compilation from their first 4 albums on Rolling Stone Records.

Wasnt really the done thing to pad out a compilation LP back then- especially when youre limited minutes wise because of the vinyl format - with unreleased or rare material.

That standard must've been dropped some time over the next five years then for Sucking In The 70's I guess

I'm not doubting or arguing with you of course, it just seems very un-Stones like to put out a rehash LP with zero collector bait on it.  Even comps of their 60's material had non-album singles to offer some kind of reason to buy into a repackaging. 

And as far as limited run times - while you're right - it seems one new track would've made more sense than repressing Dance Little Sister.  Yes we all love the riff, but compared to the other tracks it really stands out as being inessential.

Mind you I'm not complaining either - I'm fine with having no reason to own a copy of Made In The Shade, because I don't.  Was just commenting is all.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #14 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 7:42am
Sucking In the 70's was an exception, Brendan.

In general the compilations, especially those issued in the Rolling Stones Records era have never offered anything 'fresh'.

Made In the Shade, Time Waits for No One, Rewind, Jump Back - nothing new or rare.

Throwing unreleased or new songs onto compilations (a la '40 Licks') is a marketing trick which only really took off in the CD era, especially from the '90's on.

... ... ...
IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #15 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 10:50am
Gazza wrote on Oct 27th, 2009 at 7:42am:
Sucking In the 70's was an exception, Brendan.

In general the compilations, especially those issued in the Rolling Stones Records era have never offered anything 'fresh'.

Made In the Shade, Time Waits for No One, Rewind, Jump Back - nothing new or rare.

Throwing unreleased or new songs onto compilations (a la '40 Licks') is a marketing trick which only really took off in the CD era, especially from the '90's on.

Never even heard of Time Waits For No One.  Rewind & Jump Back at least have a more substantial time span to take from, but the 4 year span alone that Made In The Shade covers doesn't really make as much sense to compile.

Of course I grew up in the CD era so I have a lot less perspective than you, but I can think of a few comps by other artists from the LP era that did the some old-some new thing.  Dylan's Greatest Vol 2 & the Kink Kronicles for example, so its not like the concept was unheard of either.

Anyway, good call on the TTLN/Sleepless Nights comparison.  Maybe that's why they didn't put it on the album?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #16 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 11:32am
Yep..the Dylan Greatest Hits Vol 2 (or 'More Bob Dylan Greatest Hits' as my original vinyl version is called) was unusual for its time. A double LP compilation from 1971 with 2 brand newly recorded songs and 3 'new' re-recordings of (at the time) unreleased Basement Tapes songs. People actually complained about that! (ie, 'how can it be a greatest hits' album with 5 new songs?'. Now its 'why should I buy a greatest hits album when there's no new songs?'). Neil Young's 'Decade' (released in 1977 with, I think, 5 unreleased songs) was another example.

'Time Waits for No One' was a 1979 UK compilation on Rolling Stones Records which covered the albums from Sticky Fingers through Love You Live. It wasn't reissued after the band moved to CBS in the mid 80's and has never been issued on CD.

Track listing was :

Side 1 : Time Waits For No One - Bitch - All Down The Line - Dancing With Mr D - Angie  

Side 2 : Star Star - If You Can't rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud (live) - Hand Of Fate - Crazy Mama - Fool To Cry

So it repeated two songs from 'Made In the Shade' ('Bitch' and 'Angie') and 3 of the songs on it (TWFNO, Fool to Cry and Crazy Mama) were used again on the US compilation 'Sucking In the 70's' two years later - and in edited form at that!

'Sucking' is really the proper successor to 'Made in the shade' though as all the songs date from 'Black and Blue' onwards, picking up where the earlier album left off.

'Rewind' then came out in 1984 to mark the end of the band's distribution deal with Warner/EMI as they had recently signed a new deal with CBS. It was basically a greatest hits compilation, unlike the other compilations. There were different track listings on the UK and US versions and only the US version (with 2 extra songs) was ever re-released at a later date as a CD.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2009 at 11:34am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #17 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 2:36pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 27th, 2009 at 11:32am:
'Sucking' is really the proper successor to 'Made in the shade' though as all the songs date from 'Black and Blue' onwards, picking up where the earlier album left off.

Which is why I find it odd - they both cover a similar time span and don't overlap, but one strictly gathers up the hits and the other leaves off their biggest song from that period but throws in some interesting rarities.  Also since it was 'competing' with Metamorphosis at the time you'd think they'd want to include some kind of buyer incentive.

I think the fact that they decided to reissue Made In The Shade a couple years ago is what really confuses me.  I think we can both agree there was no real purpose in that (did they sell enough of them for it to even count as a cash-in?), but I'm happy they did Sucking In The Seventies along with it.

Also can't believe Decade didn't come to mind earlier.  Jethro Tull's Living In The Past is another I just thought of.  And I know it wasn't the norm for artists to release compilations with new stuff like that back then, but many had some non album singles to make them a little more worth collecting - Bowie, Steely Dan, probably Elton John etc.  Since the Stones didn't really have any by the time RS Records came to be you would think they'd offer something in place.  On the other hand most artists I can think of that pretty much concentrated only on albums (like Zeppelin) didn't really bother with compilations at all, not as far as I know anyway.

Maybe including new songs on best of lps wasn't the norm back in the day, but I'm pretty sure neither was having as many compilation albums as the Stones did in the first place
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2009 at 2:37pm by BrendanD »  

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #18 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 2:36pm
I don't think was meant to be a 'classic' - it sounds like something they did on a slow night in the studio, but those are some of my favorites because they are a mood, a vibe..of its time.
And i love when the song changes directions.....and it just grooves along.
'Everytime i see ya..'

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #19 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 12:04am
Some of Taylor's best Leslie-speaker playing, which is not to be missed.  He seemed to take that technique very seriously.

I'm surprised that MT never became a high-paid country sideman.  He'd have been great behind George Jones, Emmylou, or Elvis Costello.

"Hollywood Town Hall" by the Jayhawks is a great mock-Stones country record, with echoes of Taylor, Parsons-Hillman, and Mick's double-tracked choruses and harmonies with Keith.  It's almost as low-key beautiful as GHS, and should be owned, and gotten off on, by every Stones fan.  Taylor would have sounded bitchin' on it.  But he's already there, in spirit...

« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2009 at 12:05am by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Lantern_High
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 1:26pm
Throwaway wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 9:57am:
Apologies in advance.  We're due for one of these.  With the colder weather, we all need a healthy dose of Goat's Head Soup and songs of its era.

When did I mislead ya?

Love the ad libbing at the end.

No Throwaway, I was a bit rude with you. Mine are the apoligies. I love this song.
Expecialliy with the long winter that its waiting us all.
Thanks for this thread. I have learn something that I didnt knew before.
As that one about Gram Parson for instance.
Good night. Go nanna. Nity nighty Smiley

...&&...

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #21 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 3:33pm
andrews27 wrote on Oct 28th, 2009 at 12:04am:
Some of Taylor's best Leslie-speaker playing, which is not to be missed.  He seemed to take that technique very seriously.

Love that break where the solo comes in.....it takes the song in a competetly different direction...
But what does this mean:
'making you're lonely pay for me..'
and:
'and your time ain't so hard to sell....'

IP Logged

Lantern_High
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #22 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 10:01am

Love that break where the solo comes in.....it takes the song in a competetly different direction...
But what does this mean:
'making you're lonely pay for me..'
and:
'and your time ain't so hard to sell....'
[/quote]
Well, we may try to see..
Through the lonely nights
I think of you  -a love
through the lonely hours
I dream of you
I dont know why I do it but I do
Why do you take it what's wrong with you?
Ev'ry time I see ya
With the lonely weekends I'm far away
Why you're coming on, like you're supposed to do?
Oh but you know me so well
And your time aint so hard to sell  - as a toy treaten
In your cherry dresses and your shiny shoes
In a doorway on some neon walk
Making the lonely pay for me   -let alone
Why dont we set each other free
When did I mislead ya
when did I mistreat ya
When did I deceice ya

Seem the love of a teenage about a girl more aged.
A frustated love- Seem the loves of Mick have got.
To him seems always be betrayed and cheated. The girls are always to blame.
A warning: the women cheat you-always-

...&&...

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #23 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 11:54am
Out of that bag, I much prefer Living in the Heart of Love.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #24 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 1:46pm
what about "Save Me"?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)