Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Empower Field Mile High, Denver CO, June 20, 2024 © Helen H. Richardson/The Denver Post (fire by Voodoo)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
So What's The Deal With This Album? ....from Ian (Read 2,588 times)
Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
So What's The Deal With This Album? ....from Ian
Oct 18th, 2009 at 11:13pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
*Well ....I certainly realize entirely that I am the one to bring up this subject and debate it with many of you around the time of year The Stones should be recording if they are to tour behind an album the following year...

*I suppose I gotta say why should this time be any different but do forgive me if It seems repetitive (I suppose at least I realize it...).

So here goes ....I wonder "if" they have officially started yet? In my opinion how could they as of lately? I mean, they have been busy doing all kinds of other things that are not even Stones related and have not been together as a band lately that I could assume. Unless they did alot previously why haven't they been working on it? Here it is approaching late October and they always would of started by now if they are to have an album out by next fall?

There were reports the album is already finished. If this is so when did they record it? Are they using things that were left off the last few albums such as in the vain of Tattoo You or whats going on? I didn't expect they would do a Tattoo You type affair these days if indeed that is the case? It is getting to be late October and lately they have not been spotted together but instead have been doing only separate things that I know of.

If they were not spotted publicly so much lately I'd feel safe in assuming they were at work. However, that is anything but the case. Ronnie's in one country and Mick, Keith and Charlie are all in others anymore..

I wonder what's the deal?  Anybody?

Ian

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2009 at 11:18pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Lantern_High
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: So What's The Deal With This Album? ....from I
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 6:08am
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 18th, 2009 at 11:13pm:
*Well ....I certainly realize entirely that I am the one to bring up this subject and debate it with many of you around the time of year The Stones should be recording if they are to tour behind an album the following year...

*I suppose I gotta say why should this time be any different but do forgive me if It seems repetitive (I suppose at least I realize it...).

So here goes ....I wonder "if" they have officially started yet? In my opinion how could they as of lately? I mean, they have been busy doing all kinds of other things that are not even Stones related and have not been together as a band lately that I could assume. Unless they did alot previously why haven't they been working on it? Here it is approaching late October and they always would of started by now if they are to have an album out by next fall?

There were reports the album is already finished. If this is so when did they record it? Are they using things that were left off the last few albums such as in the vain of Tattoo You or whats going on? I didn't expect they would do a Tattoo You type affair these days if indeed that is the case? It is getting to be late October and lately they have not been spotted together but instead have been doing only separate things that I know of.

If they were not spotted publicly so much lately I'd feel safe in assuming they were at work. However, that is anything but the case. Ronnie's in one country and Mick, Keith and Charlie are all in others anymore..

Ian

I'm praying for NO another Tattoo  You. I think your talking sound right and as  far I know, extremely logic.
smoking more weed is good for your health will ya 2

...&&...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 7:13am
Keith said his plans are to get the band together early in 2010 to make a new album. Dont see why anyone could assume they may have 'started' yet.

Charlie's been playing pub gigs in England with his boogie woogie mates, Ronnie has the Faces reunion show this weekend so I'd imagine he's been rehearsing for that and Keith is in the US.

Nothing to excited about. They didnt record Steel Wheels or BTB until the early part or spring of the year in which those records came out and still managed to have them out in time for a tour in September. And in this day and age, they dont even need to be on the same continent as each other to make a record.

Moot point anyway whether they make a new record or not. They wont promote it.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Some Guy
Rocks Off Regular

Atlanta
Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 7:25am
they are gonna phone it in.

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 7:25am
They might as well not bother then and tarnish their legacy even further!

It's perplexing to see them rush to hack something together at the last minute, like bad students, instead of recording regularly between albums and only keeping the best material and honed instrument parts, instead of some dodgy stuff with weak playing, MJ on bass anyone ?

IP Logged

Some Guy
Rocks Off Regular

Atlanta
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 7:29am
dudes are old

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 8:36am
I'm sure Mick has some putrid ditties tucked away and Keith has a Merle Haggard B side lined up but I have long given up hope of any real passion being put into a new album. That being said I'll be all over it the minute its confirmed if this happens.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:24am
gimmekeef wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 8:36am:
I'm sure Mick has some putrid ditties tucked away and Keith has a Merle Haggard B side lined up but I have long given up hope of any real passion being put into a new album. That being said I'll be all over it the minute its confirmed if this happens.

I see no way to improve on the above. Nicely done!

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:26am
gimmekeef wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 8:36am:
I'm sure Mick has some putrid ditties tucked away

With "preproduction" by Matt Clifford, no doubt.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 10:33am
Word on the street is they will do a double album of classic cuts covers and older standards...

I am kiding of course...but could you imagine...BLEEECCCHHHHH!!!!

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:12am
Anything would be cool with me.  I don't think their legacy is tarnished.  We've all forgotten Dirty Work, haven't we? Ouch!

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Lantern_High
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:28am
Zack wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:12am:
Anything would be cool with me.  I don't think their legacy is tarnished.  We've all forgotten Dirty Work, haven't we? Ouch!

I think no one of us cannot forget about Dirty Work.
what had said Stu?

...&&...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Rocks Off Regular

Atlanta
Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:56am
They have enough money already, fuck you very much.

IP Logged

StPeteStone
Rocks Off Regular

Madeira Beach, Florida
Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 12:01pm
War horses couldn't drag me away

Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if ma money's no good. Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest, But they should never have taken the very best.
&&...&&...&&...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Re: So What's The Deal With This Album?
Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 12:16pm

*Where were these reports that the album is already finished?
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009 at 12:19pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #15 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:21pm
Lantern_High wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 6:08am:
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 18th, 2009 at 11:13pm:

Ian

I'm praying for NO another Tattoo  You. I think your talking sound right and as  far I know, extremely logic.

No. I am not speaking in sound/production what-so-ever. I am speaking of them digging through past albums and mostly older sessions to make up most of the album because they were in such a rush.

I am simply concerned all this gallivanting around the globe for them is eating up their writing and pre-production time so I am hoping another Tattoo You affair would not be needed in where they used almost all old material. I want it mostly fresh. Not left-overs that are worked up. Mind You, no dis-credit to Tattoo You. Tattoo You is a great album ...but that scenario to that extent was a one time deal.  

Ian
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:23pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:29pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 12:16pm:
*Where were these reports that the album is already finished?

"BV" from IORR has some nice inside contacts. I "beleive" (but am not certain) he stated a few months ago that the album had already been finished.

He has been spot-on in the past. For instance he knew how A Bigger Bang sounded because he heard it first. As well he was the first to know of the albums recording location in which we all found out while they were doing it. As well he knew the title of the album two weeks before the record company leaked it. He is darn credible over there.

I "think" it was he or one other credible source over there at IORR (not simply someone popping off) that claims that the album is finished already and had been for a while (don't ask me how, when or where).

I took note of the comment because the source was such.

Ian

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #17 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:35pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 7:13am:
Keith said his plans are to get the band together early in 2010 to make a new album. Dont see why anyone could assume they may have 'started' yet.

Charlie's been playing pub gigs in England with his boogie woogie mates, Ronnie has the Faces reunion show this weekend so I'd imagine he's been rehearsing for that and Keith is in the US.

Nothing to excited about. They didnt record Steel Wheels or BTB until the early part or spring of the year in which those records came out and still managed to have them out in time for a tour in September. And in this day and age, they dont even need to be on the same continent as each other to make a record.

Moot point anyway whether they make a new record or not. They wont promote it.

What I am concerned of is the "writing" and "pre-production time". Not so much the actual recording time. By this time Mick and Keith would of been together sharing song ideas with Don Was and getting on with actually writing the material and creating the songs. This is what I mean. As far as I can see they have not been together hardly at all. Your very right about Steel Wheels and BTB but indeed they were on the rush. As well, they still would be writing the songs together by now ...or at least be working on it at the same location. It does not appear to be the case and it is approaching late October...   the clock is ticking. Unless, as was reported ...some how they have stuff finished already?

As well, not for anything but Don Was is working with The Stone Temple Pilots right now. When he works with The Stones he does it exclusively (naturally). So I am not seeing him in the equation right now (who knows ....will he be in the equation at all this time round?).

Ian
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:38pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #18 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:45pm
Ian, they made the rules & will continue to do so.
In the meantime, sit back, roll a fatty & enjoy the music.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #19 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:26pm
Nellcote wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:45pm:
Ian, they made the rules & will continue to do so.
In the meantime, sit back, roll a fatty & enjoy the music.

Hah. I appreciate the obsevant response. However I am not sure I know precisely what you mean? Are you saying that if they want to, they can write, and record the album "likidy-split", all in one run, within a very short period of time if they decide to do that this time out simply because The Stones do things as they see fit and who cares about what is standard? Or are you saying they may pick and choose from older sessions and record more on top of it in recording this one.  Because they are The Stones and they are constantly trying new things in certain scenarios?

Ian

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 12:05am

Dude.

IP Logged

Lantern_High
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #21 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 4:24am

Ian

[/quote]
I'm praying for NO another Tattoo  You. I think your talking sound right and as  far I know, extremely logic.
[/quote]

No. I am not speaking in sound/production what-so-ever. I am speaking of them digging through past albums and mostly older sessions to make up most of the album because they were in such a rush.

I am simply concerned all this gallivanting around the globe for them is eating up their writing and pre-production time so I am hoping another Tattoo You affair would not be needed in where they used almost all old material. I want it mostly fresh. Not left-overs that are worked up. Mind You, no dis-credit to Tattoo You. Tattoo You is a great album ...but that scenario to that extent was a one time deal.  

Ian [/quote]
Ian, what my expectation from the Stones, Is a fresh album, not another as they had already did.
I like Tattoo You.
But we're in the new so called milleniun, and maybe we as a Stones' fans deserve to get a decent album from them.
But ..Gazza had said.. 'They wont promote it', when and who knows, the album will comes out.
He said they had did the same for ABB. All in the same year of the tour.
And there's any necessity that they are in the same continent.
Cause they are all doing other things now.

...&&...

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #22 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 6:20am
I've heard chatter that the new album will be produced by Jack White, KEEF likes his talent and MICK thinks he is current and trendy enough. This could put the Stones in a new light, not Shine A Light because I think Jack's performance sucked, but add a modern twist on our old dudes same old style.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #23 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 6:36am
Bitch wrote on Oct 20th, 2009 at 6:20am:
I've heard chatter that the new album will be produced by Jack White, KEEF likes his talent and MICK thinks he is current and trendy enough. This could put the Stones in a new light, not Shine A Light because I think Jack's performance sucked, but add a modern twist on our old dudes same old style.

Keith dropped a hint in a recent Rolling Stone interview that he'd like to work with him, because they'd done something together a while back. Thats all. Mick hasnt been interviewed lately, so anything in that regard is speculative.

His performance when singing a Rolling Stones song at the Beacon which wasnt suited for him wouldnt have any bearing in his ability to produce a record. I'd love to see Jack White produce a Stones album, because he has something of a midas touch at the minute and would be well suited for them. The songs have to be good though - if they're not, its unfair to expect a producer to be able to polish a turd.

... ... ...
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #24 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 8:00am
We have Don Was lined up for turd polishing........

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #25 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 8:47am
I see no reason to believe that Mick and Keith have done more than fax each other since the "Shine a Light" activity.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Rocks Off Regular

Atlanta
Reply #26 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 9:00am
Vannah White will produce the new album

IP Logged

Lantern_High
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #27 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 9:29am
Mel Belli wrote on Oct 20th, 2009 at 8:47am:
I see no reason to believe that Mick and Keith have done more than fax each other since the "Shine a Light" activity.

I cant find it so hard to believe.

...&&...

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #28 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 5:40pm
Turd polishing?!  Grin Grin

That image is too funny! So Don Was is old school and Jack White new school? Not to be confused with Jack Black from School of Rock ~ he could surely do some serious turd polishing!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Rocks Off Regular

Atlanta
Reply #29 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 7:28pm
get Mick Taylor back in shape and in the band, Ronnie on bass and final tour announcement and damn it would be bigger than Star Wars.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Rocks Off Regular

Atlanta
Reply #30 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 7:41pm
If Taylor is unavailable let's go with this lineup!

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #31 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 9:23pm
Lantern_High wrote on Oct 20th, 2009 at 4:24am:
Ian

[/quote]

Ian [/quote]
Ian, what my expectation from the Stones, Is a fresh album, not another as they had already did.
I like Tattoo You.
But we're in the new so called milleniun, and maybe we as a Stones' fans deserve to get a decent album from them.

*I totaly "expect" a fresh new album of new stuff as well. TY is great but still ....in this day and age I'd expect new stuff mostly .....if not, might as well hang it up if ya can't write and record mostly new stuff anymore. I don't want left-overs. I want some NEW stuff.

But ..Gazza had said.. 'They wont promote it', when and who knows, the album will comes out.

He said they had did the same for ABB. All in the same year of the tour.

*Not really...Mick and Keith got together to write and started demos in June of 2004 at Micks and started writing stuff for ABB then ....and that album was relatively enough a fast put together album for them. It's now October ...I am assuming somethings been done between them.

Ian

IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #32 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 10:09pm
Another new album so soon?  Blank Frigging Stare

We're in the middle of the gap between B2B and ABB, 4 years isn't it?  Shit!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Rocks Off Regular

Atlanta
Reply #33 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 9:03am

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #34 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 9:39am
Some Guy wrote on Oct 20th, 2009 at 7:28pm:
get Mick Taylor back in shape and in the band, Ronnie on bass and final tour announcement and damn it would be bigger than Star Wars.

That for sure, would be fantastic! but little hope of that.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #35 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 10:13am
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 20th, 2009 at 9:23pm:
*Not really...Mick and Keith got together to write and started demos in June of 2004 at Micks and started writing stuff for ABB then ....and that album was relatively enough a fast put together album for them. It's now October ...I am assuming somethings been done between them.

Ian

Aside from the odd cricket match or Paris business meeting, there's been absolutely nothing to indicate any kind of interaction, let alone creative activity, in the Stones camp whatsoever. They are the personal equivalent of the Balkans.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #36 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:03am
Soldatti wrote on Oct 20th, 2009 at 10:09pm:
Another new album so soon?  Blank Frigging Stare

We're in the middle of the gap between B2B and ABB, 4 years isn't it?  Shit!

it is.

Another way of looking at it is that the gap between BTB and ABB was a year more than the entire period that Brian Jones was in the band.  Angry

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #37 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:05am
Some Guy wrote on Oct 20th, 2009 at 7:41pm:

There ya go. Ronnie, Mick, a pussy hound named Bill, Keith and Charlie.

Just like the good old days.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Lantern_High
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #38 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:27am

And I am leaving Italy with this sad news..
the old line up, Bill and.. his sax?
will ya 2 Oh no! not you again

...&&...

IP Logged

real wild child
Rocks Off Regular

Mexico City
Reply #39 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 6:30pm
Lantern_High wrote on Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:27am:

And I am leaving Italy with this sad news..
the old line up, Bill and.. his sax?
will ya 2 Oh no! not you again

And maybe Blondie playing guitar,Chuck on keyboards and Lisa dancing all over the stage!!!
Wait a minute...that´s actually the band!!!!!!  Wow!

I don't do as much as everyone thinks but I probably do a bit more than they imagine – Keith Richards, 2006

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #40 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 8:39am
Some Guy wrote on Oct 21st, 2009 at 9:03am:

SOME GUY FOR POSTER OF THE YEAR! THAT WAS THE ONLY RELEVANT POST IN THIS THREAD.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #41 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 12:31am
Well Don Was is finishing up with Stone Temple Pilots on their new album (i am lookin forward to hearin it).

...and I don't think he's been with The Stones to my knowledge from his schedule lately ...so what "if" Jack White does actually have the job of Producing the next Stones album??

Is he up to that task??? He's never had that much weight on his shoulders. Will he be a good fit, or would he be too sheepish in letting them do everything their way? I can't see him stepping up to the plate and trying to sway them in any musical direction if they want to do things one way.

Would he be in over his head? Remember, he's relatively a young dude whos never really produced anyone close to that big (especially in the gravity of their name). Would he lack the back bone of actually running the show and suggesting/telling The Rolling Stones what needs to be done and how?

(not that I know Don Was ever truly put his foot down either However I am real pleased with the stuff he's done with them...but are we jumping from the frying pan into the fire with even MORE of the same in letting The Stones do it all THEIR way with out much push and kick in the butt???)

This may be a good point to ponder.

Ian
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2009 at 12:37am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #42 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 6:26am
First of all, get Mick Jagger to write some good songs that dont read like the outpourings of a 14 year old who's just discovered the joys of masturbation and get Keith...hell, just get Keith to write.

Once they've done that, they can bring in The Pope or the Dalai Lama to produce them for all it matters.

... ... ...
IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #43 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 6:30am
Well put, chances of that happening ? Close to zero !

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #44 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 7:31am
gotdablouse wrote on Oct 23rd, 2009 at 6:30am:
Well put, chances of that happening ? Close to zero !

I dont know. The Dalai Lama hasnt been too busy lately.

... ... ...
IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #45 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 8:13am
Hehe, the second part is probably is the easy one Wink

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #46 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 9:48pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 23rd, 2009 at 6:26am:
First of all, get Mick Jagger to write some good songs that dont read like the outpourings of a 14 year old who's just discovered the joys of masturbation and get Keith...hell, just get Keith to write.

Once they've done that, they can bring in The Pope or the Dalai Lama to produce them for all it matters.

Mick DOES write good stuff ...and regardless of what others think Keith still can too.  As far as getting them to write good stuff that is considerably stronger than the previous few albums ...well that is very much a major part the producers job as u already know. The writing/composing and how and where it is executed is a common role that a Producer is to look after ....right...

So back to the question ....is Jack White up to that task?

Ian

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Jack White
Reply #47 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 10:02pm

Jack White's current task is touring Europe with The Dead Weather.
Once that's done they're going to finish recording their second album.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2009 at 10:04pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #48 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 10:30pm
However busy Don Was is at the moment, be assured that Jack White probably got 10 times as many projects lined up.  I'd definitely like to see someone other than Don Was for a chance but Jack White's the furthest thing from a realistic possibility.  The guy's got 3 bands and last I heard just started a studio/label recently and is producing several indie acts.  I can't imagine the Stones being focused enough on recording an album not to hold the guy up from several other things he could be doing instead.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #49 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 9:27am
Why not just get the whole band into the studio like the old days. Lots of booze drugs and me holding a gun? See what happens........

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #50 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 12:04pm
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 23rd, 2009 at 9:48pm:
Gazza wrote on Oct 23rd, 2009 at 6:26am:

Mick DOES write good stuff ...and regardless of what others think Keith still can too.  

Mick DOES indeed write 'good stuff' (or did, last time he released anything - over four years ago) - he's also however capable at the same time of turgid, juvenile nonsense (ONNYA, Streets of love, Neocon) I'd rather he had someone who could have the balls to stand up to him (like Rubin did) and tell him when his stuff isnt up to par than be surrounded by yes-men who will tell him his shit doesnt stink.

The amount of material written solely or largely by Keith which he has released in any shape of form since 1994 barely amounts to ten or twelve songs. To suggest he 'still can' when his output has slowed down to a trickle over the last decade is a statement based on blind faith rather than evidence.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2009 at 12:35pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #51 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 10:04pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 24th, 2009 at 12:04pm:
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 23rd, 2009 at 9:48pm:
[quote author=Gazza link=1255925637/25#42 date=1256297163]First of all, get Mick Jagger to write some good songs that dont read like the outpourings of a 14 year old who's just discovered the joys of masturbation and get Keith...hell, just get Keith to write.

Mick DOES write good stuff ...and regardless of what others think Keith still can too.  

Gazza: Mick DOES indeed write 'good stuff' (or did, last time he released anything - over four years ago) - he's also however capable at the same time of turgid, juvenile nonsense (ONNYA, Streets of love, Neocon) I'd rather he had someone who could have the balls to stand up to him (like Rubin did) and tell him when his stuff isnt up to par than be surrounded by yes-men who will tell him his shit doesnt stink.

My reply: *I understand where your coming from.

Gazza: The amount of material written solely or largely by Keith which he has released in any shape of form since 1994 barely amounts to ten or twelve songs.

*My reply: Solely (meaning on his own entirely) Keith hasn't done much since 94 . Your right. I am saying when writing WITH Mick he still is a viable component of that song writing team. Well ....hopefully he still is...

Ian

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

London
Reply #52 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 7:43am
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 24th, 2009 at 10:04pm:
[quote author=Gazza link=1255925637/50#50 date=1256403867][quote

*My reply: Solely (meaning on his own entirely) Keith hasn't done much since 94 . Your right. I am saying when writing WITH Mick he still is a viable component of that song writing team. Well ....hopefully he still is...

Ian

Personally, I doubt Mick and Keith have written a song together since Andrew Oldham locked the pair of them in a room in 1964 – or whenever it was.

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #53 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 9:08am
Depends what you mean by "writing together", Voodoo Residue proves they still bounce(d) very early song ideas off one another with the other one helping out. Apart from starting from a blank piece of paper like Macca and Costello did in 1987 for some songs it's hard to do any "better" I'd say.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #54 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 11:58am
They generally dont write songs from scratch together (mainly because they lead different lives, dont mix together and dont even live on the same continent), but they will get together before a recording session and put their heads together, see what each other has and flesh a few ideas out. The extent of how much they do that varies from one album to the next. On BTB, it was hardly the case at all - it was more so on ABB, but that in itself doesnt negate the fact that the songs are for the most part, written by one of them and not together. Lennon and McCartney largely worked the same way.

There's a bit of 'propaganda' surrounding each release in which they tend to over-emphasise how close they're working together and that it hasnt been this way since the 60's etc, but when they say that for pretty much every record, it becomes harder to take seriously.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #55 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 9:36pm
[quote author=Gazza link=1255925637/50#54 date=1256489893]They generally dont write songs from scratch together (mainly because they lead different lives, dont mix together and dont even live on the same continent), but they will get together before a recording session and put their heads together, see what each other has and flesh a few ideas out.

Yeah. This is what they seem to be doin more from how they talk about how things went in the writing process any more. I just WISH they would also start from scratch as they did often a long time ago in the 1960's. Half the songs they produced in the 70's were written while the two were apart as well...then the other might of changed it or reworked it or added the lyrics. Don't get me wrong ....the songs would not be the same on half of them if they didn't try and alter what the other one has come up with in their time apart but still I do WISH they tried writing the lot of them from scratch together as they used to in thew 60's for the most part.

Ian

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #56 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 11:53am
I personally dont think it matters. If it consistently worked better each time, then they'd DO it that way all the time. Stands to sense.

'Some Girls' was almost all Mick songs. Didnt do that album any harm. Best Stones album since 1972.

The end justifies the means every time. If it works, it doesnt matter how they got there.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #57 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 1:24pm
Don't hang around 'cause two's a crowd
On their cloud baby

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #58 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:41pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 11:53am:
I personally dont think it matters. If it consistently worked better each time, then they'd DO it that way all the time. Stands to sense.

'Some Girls' was almost all Mick songs. Didnt do that album any harm. Best Stones album since 1972.

The end justifies the means every time. If it works, it doesnt matter how they got there.

True. However Some girls was over 30 years ago. Why not try like they did in the gold old days of Beggars or LIB? It may work consistently better in that sense BUT .....it hasn't worked up to the standard like in the days of old. Not that I expect stuff of that magnitude but it may freshen things up a bit and help them put out something at least really, really good now.

Ian

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #59 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 5:30pm
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 23rd, 2009 at 12:31am:
Well Don Was is finishing up with Stone Temple Pilots on their new album (i am lookin forward to hearin it).

According to Weiland, STP will be completing their new album in early 2010.

www.spinner.com/2009/10/27/stone-temple-pilots-plan-new-album-and-long-tour-in-2...
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2009 at 5:32pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #60 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 5:34pm
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:41pm:

True. However Some girls was over 30 years ago. Why not try like they did in the gold old days of Beggars or LIB? It may work consistently better in that sense BUT .....it hasn't worked up to the standard like in the days of old. Not that I expect stuff of that magnitude but it may freshen things up a bit and help them put out something at least really, really good now.

Ian

Back then they lived on the same street. Literally.

Back then a record is where they made the most of their money.  Now its touring. The last album didnt sell well compared to how many people bought tickets which cost up to 30 times as much. The disparity will be even greater next time around.

Back then they were still artistically driven.

Now? Dudes don't care.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #61 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 8:50pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 5:34pm:

Ian

Back then a record is where they made the most of their money.  Now its touring. The last album didnt sell well compared to how many people bought tickets which cost up to 30 times as much. The disparity will be even greater next time around.

Now? Dudes don't care.

I think personally every artist/band has their golden period, their best, when what they did was like magic, they can never go back & recapture that, let's face it, The Stones had their best period already, or what Gazza mentioned,  was artistically driven, I think we're expecting to much from them, their in their 60's now, there will never be another Beggar's Banquet, LIB, or whatever album we think was the best, if they did, it would be a miracle.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #62 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:03pm
Heart Of Stone wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 8:50pm:
Gazza wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 5:34pm:

Ian

Now? Dudes don't care.

I think personally every artist/band has their golden period, their best, when what they did was like magic, they can never go back & recapture that, let's face it, The Stones had their best period already, or what Gazza mentioned,  was artistically driven, I think we're expecting to much from them, their in their 60's now, there will never be another Beggar's Banquet, LIB, or whatever album we think was the best, if they did, it would be a miracle.

I agree. The Stones dont owe me another record or tour as far as I'm concerned. Having decided about 30 years ago to follow THIS band, at a time when they were considered to be near the end of their career, I think we've done more than OK - longevity wise, better than fans of any other band have done.

Some artists have periods in their later career where they get some kind of artistic rebirth or resurgence. Some don't. The Stones still make very good records when they get around to doing so, to be fair to them. Its still much better than getting nothing at all from them - however having insisted for a long time they WEREN'T a nostalgia act, its quite evident there's been a significant volte-face in the last decade, as there's evidently a lot more money to be made from nostalgia.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #63 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 10:31pm

Well look I certainly realize another magnitude album like LIB or Beggars is out of the possibility now. I also realize The stones gave more much MORE than one could expect from a band though all these years, and after all they been through. I mean .....they brushed all of it off and kept on rolling. What more can a fan ask for. As well, they still make very good records as Gazza stated. Better than a good 90% of whats out there. For example if ABB was from a new band I'd have to say "hey .....these guys are good". And for crimony's sake these dudes are in their 60's!

HOWEVER, why not at-least TRY to get back to doing things the way they used to in hopes of putting out the very best possible product. I think they really DO care if the record is good. I think they really DO care about their rep as a recording act to a good degree.

Who cares where they live now... ya know. They can do anything they want ....heck they can rent a place all on the same street or rent or go anywhere they want and do it any way they want. So why not get back to their roots as when they used ton put out truly great things? At least it could change it up a bit now in hopes of putting out the best possible stuff.

Do you think anyone in their camp thought of it? I'm sure at one juncture or another it crossed someones mind.

Ian

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #64 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 10:46pm

Maybe they'll go to that camp in Russia where Rocky trained to fight Drago...

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #65 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 11:29pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 10:46pm:
Maybe they'll go to that camp in Russia where Rocky trained to fight Drago...

It's certainly a possibility....

Thing is, the music would probably have that Rocky sound and vibe yet while still being "Stonzey"...

Keith could pick up that sled with the rest of the band sitting in it during some of the sessions just to show he's still got it.  Shocked

What a great concept.  

Ian
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2009 at 11:30pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)