Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
With The Jeff Beck Group, Shrine Auditorium and Expo Hall, Los Angeles - July 1968 © Robert Knight/Redfern

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
So What's The Deal With This Album? ....from Ian (Read 2,609 times)
Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
So What's The Deal With This Album? ....from Ian
Oct 18th, 2009 at 11:13pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
*Well ....I certainly realize entirely that I am the one to bring up this subject and debate it with many of you around the time of year The Stones should be recording if they are to tour behind an album the following year...

*I suppose I gotta say why should this time be any different but do forgive me if It seems repetitive (I suppose at least I realize it...).

So here goes ....I wonder "if" they have officially started yet? In my opinion how could they as of lately? I mean, they have been busy doing all kinds of other things that are not even Stones related and have not been together as a band lately that I could assume. Unless they did alot previously why haven't they been working on it? Here it is approaching late October and they always would of started by now if they are to have an album out by next fall?

There were reports the album is already finished. If this is so when did they record it? Are they using things that were left off the last few albums such as in the vain of Tattoo You or whats going on? I didn't expect they would do a Tattoo You type affair these days if indeed that is the case? It is getting to be late October and lately they have not been spotted together but instead have been doing only separate things that I know of.

If they were not spotted publicly so much lately I'd feel safe in assuming they were at work. However, that is anything but the case. Ronnie's in one country and Mick, Keith and Charlie are all in others anymore..

I wonder what's the deal?  Anybody?

Ian

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2009 at 11:18pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Lantern_High
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: So What's The Deal With This Album? ....from I
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 6:08am
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 18th, 2009 at 11:13pm:
*Well ....I certainly realize entirely that I am the one to bring up this subject and debate it with many of you around the time of year The Stones should be recording if they are to tour behind an album the following year...

*I suppose I gotta say why should this time be any different but do forgive me if It seems repetitive (I suppose at least I realize it...).

So here goes ....I wonder "if" they have officially started yet? In my opinion how could they as of lately? I mean, they have been busy doing all kinds of other things that are not even Stones related and have not been together as a band lately that I could assume. Unless they did alot previously why haven't they been working on it? Here it is approaching late October and they always would of started by now if they are to have an album out by next fall?

There were reports the album is already finished. If this is so when did they record it? Are they using things that were left off the last few albums such as in the vain of Tattoo You or whats going on? I didn't expect they would do a Tattoo You type affair these days if indeed that is the case? It is getting to be late October and lately they have not been spotted together but instead have been doing only separate things that I know of.

If they were not spotted publicly so much lately I'd feel safe in assuming they were at work. However, that is anything but the case. Ronnie's in one country and Mick, Keith and Charlie are all in others anymore..

Ian

I'm praying for NO another Tattoo  You. I think your talking sound right and as  far I know, extremely logic.
smoking more weed is good for your health will ya 2

...&&...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 7:13am
Keith said his plans are to get the band together early in 2010 to make a new album. Dont see why anyone could assume they may have 'started' yet.

Charlie's been playing pub gigs in England with his boogie woogie mates, Ronnie has the Faces reunion show this weekend so I'd imagine he's been rehearsing for that and Keith is in the US.

Nothing to excited about. They didnt record Steel Wheels or BTB until the early part or spring of the year in which those records came out and still managed to have them out in time for a tour in September. And in this day and age, they dont even need to be on the same continent as each other to make a record.

Moot point anyway whether they make a new record or not. They wont promote it.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Some Guy
Rocks Off Regular

Atlanta
Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 7:25am
they are gonna phone it in.

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 7:25am
They might as well not bother then and tarnish their legacy even further!

It's perplexing to see them rush to hack something together at the last minute, like bad students, instead of recording regularly between albums and only keeping the best material and honed instrument parts, instead of some dodgy stuff with weak playing, MJ on bass anyone ?

IP Logged

Some Guy
Rocks Off Regular

Atlanta
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 7:29am
dudes are old

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 8:36am
I'm sure Mick has some putrid ditties tucked away and Keith has a Merle Haggard B side lined up but I have long given up hope of any real passion being put into a new album. That being said I'll be all over it the minute its confirmed if this happens.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:24am
gimmekeef wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 8:36am:
I'm sure Mick has some putrid ditties tucked away and Keith has a Merle Haggard B side lined up but I have long given up hope of any real passion being put into a new album. That being said I'll be all over it the minute its confirmed if this happens.

I see no way to improve on the above. Nicely done!

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:26am
gimmekeef wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 8:36am:
I'm sure Mick has some putrid ditties tucked away

With "preproduction" by Matt Clifford, no doubt.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 10:33am
Word on the street is they will do a double album of classic cuts covers and older standards...

I am kiding of course...but could you imagine...BLEEECCCHHHHH!!!!

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:12am
Anything would be cool with me.  I don't think their legacy is tarnished.  We've all forgotten Dirty Work, haven't we? Ouch!

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Lantern_High
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:28am
Zack wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:12am:
Anything would be cool with me.  I don't think their legacy is tarnished.  We've all forgotten Dirty Work, haven't we? Ouch!

I think no one of us cannot forget about Dirty Work.
what had said Stu?

...&&...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Rocks Off Regular

Atlanta
Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:56am
They have enough money already, fuck you very much.

IP Logged

StPeteStone
Rocks Off Regular

Madeira Beach, Florida
Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 12:01pm
War horses couldn't drag me away

Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if ma money's no good. Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest, But they should never have taken the very best.
&&...&&...&&...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Re: So What's The Deal With This Album?
Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 12:16pm

*Where were these reports that the album is already finished?
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009 at 12:19pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #15 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:21pm
Lantern_High wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 6:08am:
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 18th, 2009 at 11:13pm:

Ian

I'm praying for NO another Tattoo  You. I think your talking sound right and as  far I know, extremely logic.

No. I am not speaking in sound/production what-so-ever. I am speaking of them digging through past albums and mostly older sessions to make up most of the album because they were in such a rush.

I am simply concerned all this gallivanting around the globe for them is eating up their writing and pre-production time so I am hoping another Tattoo You affair would not be needed in where they used almost all old material. I want it mostly fresh. Not left-overs that are worked up. Mind You, no dis-credit to Tattoo You. Tattoo You is a great album ...but that scenario to that extent was a one time deal.  

Ian
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:23pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:29pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 12:16pm:
*Where were these reports that the album is already finished?

"BV" from IORR has some nice inside contacts. I "beleive" (but am not certain) he stated a few months ago that the album had already been finished.

He has been spot-on in the past. For instance he knew how A Bigger Bang sounded because he heard it first. As well he was the first to know of the albums recording location in which we all found out while they were doing it. As well he knew the title of the album two weeks before the record company leaked it. He is darn credible over there.

I "think" it was he or one other credible source over there at IORR (not simply someone popping off) that claims that the album is finished already and had been for a while (don't ask me how, when or where).

I took note of the comment because the source was such.

Ian

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #17 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:35pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 7:13am:
Keith said his plans are to get the band together early in 2010 to make a new album. Dont see why anyone could assume they may have 'started' yet.

Charlie's been playing pub gigs in England with his boogie woogie mates, Ronnie has the Faces reunion show this weekend so I'd imagine he's been rehearsing for that and Keith is in the US.

Nothing to excited about. They didnt record Steel Wheels or BTB until the early part or spring of the year in which those records came out and still managed to have them out in time for a tour in September. And in this day and age, they dont even need to be on the same continent as each other to make a record.

Moot point anyway whether they make a new record or not. They wont promote it.

What I am concerned of is the "writing" and "pre-production time". Not so much the actual recording time. By this time Mick and Keith would of been together sharing song ideas with Don Was and getting on with actually writing the material and creating the songs. This is what I mean. As far as I can see they have not been together hardly at all. Your very right about Steel Wheels and BTB but indeed they were on the rush. As well, they still would be writing the songs together by now ...or at least be working on it at the same location. It does not appear to be the case and it is approaching late October...   the clock is ticking. Unless, as was reported ...some how they have stuff finished already?

As well, not for anything but Don Was is working with The Stone Temple Pilots right now. When he works with The Stones he does it exclusively (naturally). So I am not seeing him in the equation right now (who knows ....will he be in the equation at all this time round?).

Ian
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:38pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #18 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:45pm
Ian, they made the rules & will continue to do so.
In the meantime, sit back, roll a fatty & enjoy the music.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #19 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:26pm
Nellcote wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:45pm:
Ian, they made the rules & will continue to do so.
In the meantime, sit back, roll a fatty & enjoy the music.

Hah. I appreciate the obsevant response. However I am not sure I know precisely what you mean? Are you saying that if they want to, they can write, and record the album "likidy-split", all in one run, within a very short period of time if they decide to do that this time out simply because The Stones do things as they see fit and who cares about what is standard? Or are you saying they may pick and choose from older sessions and record more on top of it in recording this one.  Because they are The Stones and they are constantly trying new things in certain scenarios?

Ian

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 12:05am

Dude.

IP Logged

Lantern_High
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #21 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 4:24am

Ian

[/quote]
I'm praying for NO another Tattoo  You. I think your talking sound right and as  far I know, extremely logic.
[/quote]

No. I am not speaking in sound/production what-so-ever. I am speaking of them digging through past albums and mostly older sessions to make up most of the album because they were in such a rush.

I am simply concerned all this gallivanting around the globe for them is eating up their writing and pre-production time so I am hoping another Tattoo You affair would not be needed in where they used almost all old material. I want it mostly fresh. Not left-overs that are worked up. Mind You, no dis-credit to Tattoo You. Tattoo You is a great album ...but that scenario to that extent was a one time deal.  

Ian [/quote]
Ian, what my expectation from the Stones, Is a fresh album, not another as they had already did.
I like Tattoo You.
But we're in the new so called milleniun, and maybe we as a Stones' fans deserve to get a decent album from them.
But ..Gazza had said.. 'They wont promote it', when and who knows, the album will comes out.
He said they had did the same for ABB. All in the same year of the tour.
And there's any necessity that they are in the same continent.
Cause they are all doing other things now.

...&&...

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #22 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 6:20am
I've heard chatter that the new album will be produced by Jack White, KEEF likes his talent and MICK thinks he is current and trendy enough. This could put the Stones in a new light, not Shine A Light because I think Jack's performance sucked, but add a modern twist on our old dudes same old style.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #23 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 6:36am
Bitch wrote on Oct 20th, 2009 at 6:20am:
I've heard chatter that the new album will be produced by Jack White, KEEF likes his talent and MICK thinks he is current and trendy enough. This could put the Stones in a new light, not Shine A Light because I think Jack's performance sucked, but add a modern twist on our old dudes same old style.

Keith dropped a hint in a recent Rolling Stone interview that he'd like to work with him, because they'd done something together a while back. Thats all. Mick hasnt been interviewed lately, so anything in that regard is speculative.

His performance when singing a Rolling Stones song at the Beacon which wasnt suited for him wouldnt have any bearing in his ability to produce a record. I'd love to see Jack White produce a Stones album, because he has something of a midas touch at the minute and would be well suited for them. The songs have to be good though - if they're not, its unfair to expect a producer to be able to polish a turd.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #24 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 8:00am
We have Don Was lined up for turd polishing........

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)