Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dickie Peterson, Singer for Rock Band Blue Cheer (Read 460 times)
mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Dickie Peterson, Singer for Rock Band Blue Cheer
Oct 15th, 2009 at 9:19am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
By WILLIAM GRIMES
Published: October 13, 2009

Dickie Peterson, whose screaming vocals and pounding bass lines helped push the psychedelic blues-rock trio Blue Cheer into the musical territory that would later be called heavy metal, died Monday in Erkelenz, Germany. He was 63 and lived in Erkelenz and Cologne.The cause was liver cancer, said Ron Rainey, his manager.

Blue Cheer, a San Francisco group formed in late 1966, took its name from a street brand of LSD but never exuded the peace and love vibe of groups like Jefferson Airplane or the Grateful Dead. It stood for raw, animalistic power, on full display in the raucous, hard-driving “Summertime Blues,” the group’s biggest hit.

Pitted against Paul Whaley’s savagely thrashing drums and Leigh Stephens’s screeching guitar, Mr. Peterson, the group’s lead singer, adopted the only possible vocal strategy: he opened his mouth wide and emitted primal sounds at top volume.

“People keep trying to say that we’re heavy metal or grunge or punk, or we’re this or that,” Mr. Peterson told the Web site Stoner Rock in 2005. “The reality is, we’re just a power trio, and we play ultra blues, and it’s rock ‘n roll. It’s really simple what we do.”

Richard Allan Peterson was born on Sept. 12, 1946, and grew up in Grand Forks, N.D. He started playing bass guitar at 13, influenced by his brother, Jerre, who played guitar in an early, six-member version of Blue Cheer.

Mr. Peterson moved to San Francisco in the mid-1960s and, with his brother, began playing with Group B. He was thrown out of the band for insisting on a hard-rock style, which he indulged to the fullest with Blue Cheer.

Blue Cheer’s six-member configuration was quickly reduced to three to achieve a heavier sound, Mr. Peterson told Rocktober Magazine in 2007. In 1968, the group released the album “Vincebus Eruptum,” generally regarded as its best. It included the band’s cover version of the Eddie Cochran hit “Summertime Blues,” which reached No. 14 on the Billboard charts. The album rose to No. 11.

The group released several more albums in quick succession, notably “Outsideinside” (1968), “New! Improved! Blue Cheer” (1969) and “Blue Cheer” (1969), before breaking up in 1972.

Mr. Peterson’s first marriage ended in divorce. He is survived by his second wife, Ilka, of Erkelenz; a daughter, Corrina Peterson Kaltenrieder of Fort Worth, Tex.; and a grandson.

In various configurations, but always with Mr. Peterson, new versions of Blue Cheer recorded many studio and live albums over the years. Mr. Peterson recorded two solo albums in the 1990s, “Child of the Darkness” and “Tramp,” and toured frequently with Blue Cheer in the United States and Europe.

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2009 at 9:20am by mojoman »  

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Re: Dickie Peterson, Singer for Rock Band Blue Che
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 9:57am
Very sad news! R.I.P. Dickie, I remember Blue Cheer very well, I wanted to grow my hair like them after seeing a picture of them in '67, they, at that time, had very long hair, they were also in lots of articles along side Cream & Hendrix as a power trio, then they became Whatever happened to? articles, I got their album "Vincebus Eruption" around that same time, they covered blues songs like "Parchment Farm & Rock me baby" only in a very heavy sounding way, they & Iron Butterfly were probably the first heavy metal band, I always thought of "Summertime Blues" as the heaviest sound I ever heard at that time, they sounded like Indians on the warpath.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

uncleson
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

USA
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 1:44pm
Heart Of Stone wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 9:57am:
Very sad news! R.I.P. Dickie, I remember Blue Cheer very well, I wanted to grow my hair like them after seeing a picture of them in '67, they, at that time, had very long hair, they were also in lots of articles along side Cream & Hendrix as a power trio, then they became Whatever happened to? articles, I got their album "Vincebus Eruption" around that same time, they covered blues songs like "Parchment Farm & Rock me baby" only in a very heavy sounding way, they & Iron Butterfly were probably the first heavy metal band, I always thought of "Summertime Blues" as the heaviest sound I ever heard at that time, they sounded like Indians on the warpath.  

They were great. "Vincebus Eruption" was definitely the heaviest sound of its time, and one hell of a great album.

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 2:17pm
Saw them last year. Great show, last time in So Cal. I would have definitely gone again.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 9:11pm
Stones content:  The Blue Cheer album Outsideinside features a cover of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction".  RIP Dickie.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)