Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Angry music fans condemn lack of communication (Read 880 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Angry music fans condemn lack of communication
Oct 8th, 2009 at 2:23pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Angry music fans condemn lack of communication

by Simon Boyle.
Published Thu 08 Oct 2009 15:01

Angry music lovers have condemned stars who don't update their websites, saying it shows "contempt" for their fans.

Mick Jagger is amongst a host of A-list stars whose website is more than twelve months out of date, leaving many fans frustrated.

The Rolling Stones frontman’s website claims to be the official source for all his latest news and information, but the latest news update dates from February 2007.

And 66-year-old Sir Mick isn’t alone in keeping his fans in the dark.

Other high-profile celebs who have neglected their websites include comedy favourite Peter Kay, whose last update was in November 2007, and Foul-mouthed Scot Billy Connolly, who has been uncharacteristically quiet since October 2008.

But now disgruntled fans have said that stars have an obligation to keep their followers up-to-date.

One Rolling Stones enthusiast said; "I love the Stones, I’ve seen them about six times, but it really does annoy me that you hear nothing at all from them except when they want your money for tickets.

"Ticket prices are astronomical, and some of that should go back into connecting with fans. They can easily afford to keep their sites updated, and in my mind it shows a little bit of contempt for fans.

"I’ve been a fan since I was a child, but I really think we deserve more communication to reward our loyalty.

"The official site is supposed to be the most reliable source for news, but instead we have to rely on fan sites, rumours and adverts to have any idea what the band are planning."

Bucking the trend are rock superstars U2, who manage to keep their latest news updated at least once a day, and often even more frequently.

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Re: Angry music fans condemn lack of communication
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 2:55pm
If it's anything like his old site Mick probably can't stand to visit the snake pit bearing his name.

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

caro
Rocks Off Regular

France
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 3:08pm
Ginda wrote on Oct 8th, 2009 at 2:55pm:
If it's anything like his old site Mick probably can't stand to visit the snake pit bearing his name.

Oh yeah, I remember at some point the message board was taken over by the most loathsome troll ever to haunt the Stones cyberworld ! Just the memory makes my skin crawl...

Actually, I'm not that annoyed about the official Stones/Mick sites. I guess there wouldn't be such an active fan community if the Stones were handling the "message" themselves. Some bands do awesome things with their websites, but it's mostly the young bands that grew up with the internet & with light recording equipment and all that...  

Invisible Avatar Posting

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 4:38pm
caro wrote on Oct 8th, 2009 at 3:08pm:

Oh yeah, I remember at some point the message board was taken over by the most loathsome troll ever to haunt the Stones cyberworld ! Just the memory makes my skin crawl...

Actually, I'm not that annoyed about the official Stones/Mick sites. I guess there wouldn't be such an active fan community if the Stones were handling the "message" themselves. Some bands do awesome things with their websites, but it's mostly the young bands that grew up with the internet & with light recording equipment and all that...  

I just lurked at the old site- never posted.  If we're thinking of the same troll she didn't just restrict herself to Mick's site - she tried to create chaos on other Stones sites as well and ended up getting banned.  It seemed to me there were a few others with trollish behavior who became regulars.  They were awful.  Two camps fighting to the death with words and threats and much back channeling.  I'm happy to hear the new site is  better.

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

Lantern_Ruby
Rocks Off Regular

Le Roi Est Mort, Vive
Le Roi

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 9:19am
Ginda wrote on Oct 8th, 2009 at 4:38pm:
caro wrote on Oct 8th, 2009 at 3:08pm:

I just lurked at the old site- never posted.  If we're thinking of the same troll she didn't just restrict herself to Mick's site - she tried to create chaos on other Stones sites as well and ended up getting banned.  It seemed to me there were a few others with trollish behavior who became regulars.  They were awful.  Two camps fighting to the death with words and threats and much back channeling.  I'm happy to hear the new site is  better.  

I had lurked at theold site two days ago. The most new posts date from the last Easter.
I still recall all the awful and the drones/trolls there and the longest war. How may of the old posters hadbeen on ther Stones boards..? And never seen in the new one?
Who dont remember the fight?
I'm going just few in the new one, the crazy ones obssesed are still there.
They think Mick goes there to 'read' and 'for' their post of 'love'.
I dont konw what I can think bout the updates.
The U2 and a lot of bands/singers they care for their fans. But it seems for the old stars, well not at all.
Mick doesnt care, but wait when he'll needs to have confirmed the tickest fr the next tour.
Also in that case he will doesnt goes there in HIS website.
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2009 at 1:52pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

Alea iacta est.&&Honni soit qui mal y pense&&...

IP Logged

caro
Rocks Off Regular

France
Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 11:36am
Ginda wrote on Oct 8th, 2009 at 4:38pm:
I just lurked at the old site- never posted.  If we're thinking of the same troll she didn't just restrict herself to Mick's site - she tried to create chaos on other Stones sites as well and ended up getting banned.  

Yes, I think that's the one. There are few people that I strongly dislike (especially on the internet where you can usually solve the problem by turning off your PC), but I did hate her. I've known people like that in real life, and they're horrible. Sensing vulnerability, pitting people against each other all the while playing the victim... I wouldn't wish that kind of troll on anyone, not even the RS.com staff.

Invisible Avatar Posting

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 6:30pm
I JUST WENT TO THE KEITH RICHARD SITE AND GOT HOOKED ON THE ASK KEITH, I READ ALMOST ALL 166 QUESTIONS HE ANSWERED, I KNOW  IT'S A COUPLE YEARS OLD, BUT THAT WAS GREAT. I HOPE HE DOES IT AGAIN ACTUALLY ANSWERING FANS QUESTIONS. WHAT A CONCEPT. KEITH SEEMS TO BE  A GREAT GUY, IT SEEMS, I KNEW HE WAS A GIFTED MUSICIAN BUT HE SEEMS TO BE A GENUINE COOL DUDE Are you fucking serious?................
PRETTY COOL SITE BUT ONCE AGAIN HAS NOT BEEN TOUCHED IN YEARS, BUT IT GOT A LOT OF INFO ON KEITH Interesting stuff Ronnie!.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2009 at 6:32pm by Kilroy »  

mikio_01.jpg (Attachment deleted)

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 12:11pm
Yeah I agree with the article. I think artists who keep a website are obligated to update it periodically. U2 does have a killer .com and lots of other bands keep their websites fresh. There is no excuse IMO. Pay someone to do it if they dont have time, but if they bothered to create it, than they should keep it current.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 2:53pm
Its ironic that this article chooses to highlight Mick's site and not the Stones' one.

At least Mick's site is free - for all it's uselessness, it hasn't been taking $100 a year off people for a service which included a 'free' DVD which NEVER existed.

Considering the amount of lawyers who are Stones fans, I'm surprised at least one of them hasn't filed a suit against them.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

jostorm
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 4:16pm
Law suit?

A hot oil enema would be more adequate.

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 4:19pm
Dude's site is old.

IP Logged

caro
Rocks Off Regular

France
Reply #11 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 4:34pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 12th, 2009 at 2:53pm:
At least Mick's site is free - for all it's uselessness, it hasn't been taking $100 a year off people for a service which included a 'free' DVD which NEVER existed.

That makes it even more of a collector's item. A *real* fan would be thrilled !

Invisible Avatar Posting

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)