Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Empower Field Mile High, Denver CO, June 20, 2024 © Helen H. Richardson/The Denver Post (fire by Voodoo)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Ya Yas Deluxe Edition To Be Released November 2009 (Read 15,461 times)
jostorm
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: How Much More Good News Can Ya Take In One Day
Reply #50 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 3:32pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Sep 3rd, 2009 at 2:26pm:
Even more good Stones related news. It appears Mick Taylor has recovered from his illness and is back on the road again. Unfortunately for us yanks it's only in Europe at the moment. But's let's hope he gets back over here and trys it again.

I saw him last Sunday night at the Colne Blues Festival and he was looking really well, a bit slimmer than when I saw him last, in really good spirits, dancing and jiving to the music, smiling a lot and obviously mentally "in a really good place" right now. I do hope he soon gets the all-clear to fly and you Yanks get to see him, too!  Wink 
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2009 at 3:34pm by jostorm »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #51 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 3:42pm
Quote:
eric wrote on Sep 5th, 2009 at 2:30pm:
I for one have always been a huge fan of ya ya's and was really looking forward to this.  I'm confused why this concert can't be released in its entirety on 1 disc.  The live show in '69 lasted what, 1 hour?  Why not a little forethought here.  Why not a release like the expanded Live at Leeds by the Who.  Any fan interested in this most likely would prefer to have a full show from '69.  Songs in the order they were played, edited verses reinserted, etc.  

In my mind this is gouging the hardcore fan who has waited much to long for these recordings to see the official light of day.  In a year I'll be able to buy these 5 songs on i tunes for much much less than 53.99

Someone here needs a lesson in integrity.  Abkco?  Stones?

good point and i agree.  this cd was my favorite for years and still is in a way.  i find it hard to believe a full msg stones show lasting just 1 hor or so...nonetheless, now would have been the primo time to put it out live on dvd in it's entirety, however long it lasted.  

i personally will not be dashing out to buy this delux edition.  i am holding out for the exile edition.

everybody say owww

Are you fucking serious?

Thats how long they lasted. Around 65 minutes, usually. Ya-Ya's isnt taken from one concert - its taken from four. Some of the songs at each given concert may have been unusable technically (the Baltimore show the day before was taped as a dry run for Ya Yas - it was a bit of a fluke which saw them get a version of Love In Vain which they felt superior in every way to the 3 versions from MSG - so they used it)

I can see what throbby is getting at though - I presume they had edited and mixed a certain number of songs in mid 1970 for release and these are the only 5 songs played at these shows which werent released on the live album.

If some of the alternate versions, edits or mixes still exists in their vaults they should have been used to pad out disc 2. Failing that - should have been a 3-disc edition, instead of four.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2009 at 3:46pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #52 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 8:40pm
I'd be a lot happier if they just released the DVD on its own, and that included the 10 original tracks, the 5 unused, and the opening sets.   There's no reason why anyone who would buy this needs another CD copy of Ya Yas, and unless they also happen to be collector's of B.B. King & Tina Turner's live material, disc 3 is pretty superfluous at this point too. Or if they don't have enough footage for the entire show on DVD, then just give me one 65 minute, 15 song single disc.

On second though, fuck it, Ya Ya's is perfect as is. taylor made smile

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #53 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 9:10pm
BrendanD wrote on Sep 5th, 2009 at 8:40pm:
I'd be a lot happier if they just released the DVD on its own, and that included the 10 original tracks, the 5 unused, and the opening sets.   There's no reason why anyone who would buy this needs another CD copy of Ya Yas, and unless they also happen to be collector's of B.B. King & Tina Turner's live material, disc 3 is pretty superfluous at this point too. Or if they don't have enough footage for the entire show on DVD, then just give me one 65 minute, 15 song single disc.

On second though, fuck it, Ya Ya's is perfect as is. taylor made smile

totally whid ju on dis one bro, IT COULD av bi condensed. i wud av loved just a complete concert release unxpurgated wid da desert in the toenils and the shit u know where it be at. but sum of dem people won't get sassifried unless dey got da olde school vinylike shiite. iz like wen de did da realduterated song remains the same ala a cuple of yerz baack an cut some laughter an dis an dat the gangsters of love wir not down wid it. i swar micks in da audience appy knowing pagey is gonna make da stuff whid da dogs of doom.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2009 at 9:16pm by mojoman »  

IP Logged

eric
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #54 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 8:07am
Yes, I know ya ya's was a compilation of a few different shows with some overdubs as well. Whatever, it always grabbed me by the balls just the same.  Perhaps Abkco contractually can not re release any titles in an altered form?  Who knows?  I find it odd though that they couldn't put these 5 songs on as extras at the end of the ya ya's set.  That to me makes me feel like my love of the Stones music is once again being sacrificed on the altar of greed.

As significant as Ike, Tina, and BB have become I see this disc as filler.  It would most likely not be profitable on its own.  It does however help Abkco justify the price.

I don't see the casual fan rushing out to buy this set.  This is geared toward the hardcore.

We're talking about live shows from 40 years ago

Remember 10 -15 years ago all the jazz greats studio and live sets coming out with extended versions, additional songs, alternate takes,etc.  Most reasonably priced.

Christ I wish someone pulling the levers in the Abkco/Stones camp understood the concept of giving exceptional value in return for taking someone's hard earned money.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2009 at 8:08am by eric »  

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #55 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 8:18am
Much more than my other favorite concert album - Live at Leeds, which always felt too short and somehow incomplete - Ya Ya's as assembled, including the spliced in vocal snippets from Jagger and crowd, is a piece of art. 

We know "you don't want my trousers to fall down," "Charlie's good tonight inne?" and "you're talking a lot let's have a look at you" are not in the right places, but after 40 years and thousands of listens, they are in their proper places.

So I understand why they wouldn't want to embed the new tracks and correct the running order.  It's not a single show anyway.  They certainly could have found some interesting things to fill in 45 minutes on disc 2 though.  They could have put one complete show on it.  That would have been quoite noice, as Jagger might say.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Rocks Off Regular

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #56 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 12:22pm
jostorm wrote on Sep 5th, 2009 at 3:32pm:
Even more good Stones related news. It appears Mick Taylor has recovered from his illness and is back on the road again. Unfortunately for us yanks it's only in Europe at the moment. But's let's hope he gets back over here and trys it again.

I saw him last Sunday night at the Colne Blues Festival and he was looking really well, a bit slimmer than when I saw him last, in really good spirits, dancing and jiving to the music, smiling a lot and obviously mentally "in a really good place" right now. I do hope he soon gets the all-clear to fly and you Yanks get to see him, too!  Wink 

That's good to hear. I hope he takes care of himself and just keeps playing well.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Fabio Hot Stuff
Rocks Off Regular

http://yayasout.blog
spot.it/

Roma Italy
Reply #57 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 12:28pm
Zack wrote on Sep 6th, 2009 at 8:18am:
Much more than my other favorite concert album - Live at Leeds, which always felt too short and somehow incomplete - Ya Ya's as assembled, including the spliced in vocal snippets from Jagger and crowd, is a piece of art.  

We know "you don't want my trousers to fall down," "Charlie's good tonight inne?" and "you're talking a lot let's have a look at you" are not in the right places, but after 40 years and thousands of listens, they are in their proper places.

So I understand why they wouldn't want to embed the new tracks and correct the running order.  It's not a single show anyway.  They certainly could have found some interesting things to fill in 45 minutes on disc 2 though.  They could have put one complete show on it.  That would have been quoite noice, as Jagger might say.

perfect!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #58 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 10:59am
eric wrote on Sep 6th, 2009 at 8:07am:
Yes, I know ya ya's was a compilation of a few different shows with some overdubs as well. Whatever, it always grabbed me by the balls just the same.  Perhaps Abkco contractually can not re release any titles in an altered form?  Who knows?  I find it odd though that they couldn't put these 5 songs on as extras at the end of the ya ya's set.  That to me makes me feel like my love of the Stones music is once again being sacrificed on the altar of greed.

As significant as Ike, Tina, and BB have become I see this disc as filler.  It would most likely not be profitable on its own.  It does however help Abkco justify the price.

I don't see the casual fan rushing out to buy this set.  This is geared toward the hardcore.

We're talking about live shows from 40 years ago

Remember 10 -15 years ago all the jazz greats studio and live sets coming out with extended versions, additional songs, alternate takes,etc.  Most reasonably priced.

Christ I wish someone pulling the levers in the Abkco/Stones camp understood the concept of giving exceptional value in return for taking someone's hard earned money.

When I started this thread last Wednesday, amazon was advertising this at $60. I looked again at the weekend and it was $53. Today it's $48.

At this rate, by the time it comes out they'll be giving it away for free with an additional copy thrown in just because we pre-ordered it.

By November, only an utter twat will be paying $60 for it.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2009 at 11:00am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #59 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 11:05am
Fabio Hot Stuff wrote on Sep 6th, 2009 at 12:28pm:
Zack wrote on Sep 6th, 2009 at 8:18am:

So I understand why they wouldn't want to embed the new tracks and correct the running order.  It's not a single show anyway.  They certainly could have found some interesting things to fill in 45 minutes on disc 2 though.  They could have put one complete show on it.  That would have been quoite noice, as Jagger might say.

perfect!

Grazie, Fabio.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #60 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 11:17am
10/1/2009 Hannover
10/2/2009 Kaiserslautern
10/3/2009 Knokke
10/5/2009 Rouen Exo7
10/6/2009 Caen Zenith
10/7/2009 Ris-Orangis Le Plan
10/9/2009 Vernouillet Atelier à spectacles
10/10/2009 Nancy Nancy Jazz Pulsations (Festival)
10/11/2009 Chaulnes Centre socio-culturel
10/12/2009 Lille Zenith (Jazz en Nord festival)
10/13/2009 Reims - La Cartonnerie Polen productions
10/14/2009 Joué les Tours Espace Malraux
10/16/2009 Bourg en Bresse La Tannerie
10/17/2009 Montpellier Opera Festival Les Europeennes de la guitare
10/18/2009 Rouillac Centre culturel la Palene
10/19/2009 Biarritz Atabal CMA
10/21/2009 Nice Cedac de Cimiez
10/22/2009 Marseille Espace julien
10/23/2009 Perpignan Le Mediator
10/24/2009 Montauban Le Rio Grande

That only gives him 4 nights off out of 24 w/o a show...hope he is up to it, considering his recent health issues...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Rocks Off Regular

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #61 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 11:29am
Paranoid Android wrote on Sep 7th, 2009 at 11:17am:
10/1/2009 Hannover
10/2/2009 Kaiserslautern
10/3/2009 Knokke
10/5/2009 Rouen Exo7
10/6/2009 Caen Zenith
10/7/2009 Ris-Orangis Le Plan
10/9/2009 Vernouillet Atelier à spectacles
10/10/2009 Nancy Nancy Jazz Pulsations (Festival)
10/11/2009 Chaulnes Centre socio-culturel
10/12/2009 Lille Zenith (Jazz en Nord festival)
10/13/2009 Reims - La Cartonnerie Polen productions
10/14/2009 Joué les Tours Espace Malraux
10/16/2009 Bourg en Bresse La Tannerie
10/17/2009 Montpellier Opera Festival Les Europeennes de la guitare
10/18/2009 Rouillac Centre culturel la Palene
10/19/2009 Biarritz Atabal CMA
10/21/2009 Nice Cedac de Cimiez
10/22/2009 Marseille Espace julien
10/23/2009 Perpignan Le Mediator
10/24/2009 Montauban Le Rio Grande

That only gives him 4 nights off out of 24 w/o a show...hope he is up to it, considering his recent health issues...

I'm not sure how accurate those dates are anymore. I beleive that was the planned tour before he got sick in the States. That schedule has been removed from Mick Taylor.net

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #62 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 12:12pm
Track listings on here.
http://www.yourwaytomusic.com/get-yer-ya-yas-out-the-rolling-stones-in-concert-4...
GET YER YA-YA’S OUT: THE ROLLING STONES IN CONCERT 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE BOX SET | Your Way To Music

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #63 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 4:24pm
thx, hos.

ugh! no complete version of sftd. i guess i am gonna be the eternal optimist, and hope criterion gets it right when they do the bluray...

this (missing complete sftd and a five track bonus cd/ep) does NOT bode well for the re-release of exile...

stu watching how stupid we are LOL

Quote:
Tracklistings:

Disc: 1

1. Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Original Release)
2. Carol (Original Release)
3. Stray Cat Blues (Original Release)
4. Love In Vain (Original Release)
5. Midnight Rambler (Original Release)
6. Sympathy For The Devil (Original Release)
7. Live With Me (Original Release)
8. Little Queenie (Original Release)
9. Honky Tonk Women (Original Release)
10. Street Fighting Man (Original Release)

Disc: 2

1. Prodigal Son (Unreleased Track)
2. You Gotta Move (Unreleased Track)
3. Under My Thumb (Unreleased Track)
4. I m Free (Unreleased Track)
5. (I Can t Get No) Satisfaction (Unreleased Track)

Disc: 3

1. Everyday I Have The Blues (Unreleased B.B. King Track)
2. How Blue Can You Get (Unreleased B.B. King Track)
3. That s Wrong Little Mama (Unreleased B.B. King Track)
4. Why I Sing The Blues (Unreleased B.B. King Track)
5. Please Accept My Love (Unreleased B.B. King Track)
6. Gimme Some Loving (Unreleased Ike & Tina Turner Track)
7. Sweet Soul Music (Unreleased Ike & Tina Turner Track)
8. Son Of A Preacher Man (Unreleased Ike & Tina Turner Track)
9. Proud Mary (Unreleased Ike & Tina Turner Track)
10. I’ve Been Loving You Too Long (Unreleased Ike & Tina Turner Track)
11. Come Together (Unreleased Ike & Tina Turner Track)
12. Land Of 1000 Dances (Unreleased Ike & Tina Turner Track)

Disc: 4

1. Prodigal Son (DVD content)
2. You Gotta Move (DVD content)
3. Under My Thumb (DVD content)
4. I m Free (DVD content)
5. (I Can t Get No) Satisfaction (DVD Content)

IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #64 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 9:58pm
How come the only songs they have video for are the ones that have gone unreleased for 40 years?  There's a perfectly good reason why those tracks haven't been released by the way, they simply aren't up to par with the rest of the album.  I just find it very odd that there only appears to be a video source for the not-so-great bonus tracks that have long been forgotten about, but nothing for the album as we've known it.

20 bucks is my best offer for this set

IP Logged

BrendanD
Rocks Off Regular

New Jersey
Reply #65 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 10:10pm
macdaddy wrote on Sep 7th, 2009 at 4:24pm:
this (missing complete sftd and a five track bonus cd/ep) does NOT bode well for the re-release of exile...

stu watching how stupid we are LOL

Let's hope Universal are putting more thought into their deluxe Exile and whatever else their planning. Obviously this new Ya Ya's has more to do with Abkco trying to  break off a piece of the re-release action for themselves than the fact that it happens to be the 40th anniversary

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #66 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 1:12pm
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2009 at 1:13pm by mojoman »  

IP Logged

keithriffhard27
Rocks Off Regular

mothafucka

100 years ago
GET YER YA YAS OUT BOX SET INFO
Reply #67 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 3:01pm

I found this on pitchfork today (http://pitchfork.com/news/36456-rolling-stones-prep-iget-yer-ya-yas-outi-box-set...

You knew the Rolling Stones weren't going to let the entire Beatles Week go by without trying to steal some of that thunder. After all, the Beatles don't have a monopoly on deluxe CD reissues, and the Stones need to get that paper before the compact disc dies entirely and even grandmothers figure out how easy it is to download. So: As Consequence of Sound reports, the Stones will soon release an expanded 40th anniversary box-set version of their 1970 live album Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out.

The album, recorded over two nights at Madison Square Garden in 1969, captures the Stones at the absolute peak of their power. And the 3xCD + DVD reissue, due November 3 from ABKCO, looks like it'll do a pretty amazing job fleshing the original out. On the first disc, you'll get a remastered version of the original live album. On the second, five unreleased performances that didn't make the album's cut, including "Under My Thumb" and "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction". And on the third, songs from those shows' openers, B.B. King and Ike and Tina Turner.
The DVD, meanwhile, will feature the Albert and David Maysles concert film of the same title, as well as the same unreleased tracks that'll be on the second CD and some more bonus footage. You'll also get a replica of the original 1969 tour poster and a 56-page book that'll include, among other things, Lester Bangs' review of the album for Rolling Stone. The whole tracklist is below.

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out 40th Anniversary Deluxe Box Set

CD1:

01 Jumpin' Jack Flash
02 Carol
03 Stray Cat Blues
04 Love in Vain
05 Midnight Rambler
06 Sympathy for the Devil
07 Live With Me
08 Little Queenie
09 Honky Tonk Women
10 Street Fighting Man

CD2:

01 Prodigal Son
02 You Gotta Move
03 Under My Thumb
04 I'm Free
05 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

CD3:

01 B.B. King: "Everyday I Have the Blues"
02 B.B. King: "How Blue Can You Get"
03 B.B. King: "That's Wrong Little Mama"
04 B.B. King: "Why I Sing The Blues"
05 B.B. King: "Please Accept My Love"
06 Ike and Tina Turner: "Gimme Some Loving"
07 Ike and Tina Turner: "Sweet Soul Music"
08 Ike and Tina Turner: "Son of a Preacher Man"
09 Ike and Tina Turner: "Proud Mary"
10 Ike and Tina Turner: "I've Been Loving You Too Long"
11 Ike and Tina Turner: "Come Together"
12 Ike and Tina Turner: "Land of 1000 Danc

Too Weird to live, Too rare to die&&- Hunter S. Thompson&&&&11/22/05 Delta Center, SLC&&&&"I've never had a problem with drugs, just cops."&&- Keef

IP Logged

UrbanSteel
Rocks Off Regular

Tilburg / the Netherlands
Luxe Ya-Ya’s Including three vinyl LP's,signatures
Reply #68 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 6:17am
A Super Deluxe Box Set edition of Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! Including three vinyl LP's , and the Rolling Stones' signatures.

http://a04-b04.mypicturetown.com/P2PwebCmdController/cache/%25nUetI-g%25zk-dC.pU...

Yay, hooray for Rolling Stones' "Ya-Ya's"

ABKCO Records is set to reissue the Rolling Stones’ landmark live album Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! in two special 40th anniversary packagings in November.

On Nov. 3, the label releases Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! The Rolling Stones In Concert – 40th Anniversary Deluxe Box Set, commemorating the two concerts at Madison Square Garden of Nov. 26 and 27, 1969--the tapes from which the original single-disc album was culled. The box containes three CDs including a remastered disc of the original Ya-Ya’s repertoire, a second disc with five previously unreleased Stones tracks recorded at the same shows (“Prodigal Son," “You Gotta Move,” “Under My Thumb,” “I’m Free” and “[I Can’t Get No] Satisfaction”), and a third CD of previously unreleased performances by the shows’ opening acts B.B. King and Ike & Tina Turner (five from King, seven from the Turners).

The set also includes a 56-page book of photos and an essay by acclaimed photographer Ethan Russell, who traveled with the Stones on their ’69 tour. Additionally, Lester Bang’s album review in Rolling Stone magazine is reprinted (“I have no doubt that it’s the best rock concert ever put on record,” he wrote), and concert attendee recollections are included along with a reproduction of the original Stones ’69 tour poster by David Byrd. A limited number of boxes will further offer a code enabling buyers to download the track “I’m Free” for Guitar Hero 5.

A bonus DVD by legendary filmmakers Albert and David Maysles of Gimme Shelter Stones documentary fame is part of the set, too. Also entitled Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out!, it features full-length performances of the five previously unreleased Stones songs presented in 5.1 surround sound, along with a sequence showing the album cover shoot with Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts and Jack the Donkey together with footage of backstage hangs between Keith Richards, Jimi Hendrix and Mick Taylor.

The film, which will have its world premiere at the New York Film Festival on Sept. 26, also shows Janis Joplin dancing offstage during the Stones’ performance of “Satisfaction,” the band meeting up with the Grateful Dead in a heliport, and an album mixing session at Olympic Studios in London.

A Super Deluxe Box Set edition of Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! The Rolling Stones In Concert follows on Nov. 17. It includes everything in the Deluxe version as well as three vinyl LPs, one with etched images of the cover art and the Rolling Stones' signatures. The Deluxe version’s book and poster have also been enlarged to 12 x 12-inch size in the Super Deluxe version.

“The 40th Anniversary Ya-Ya’s box sets not only capture the entire musical performances of the Garden concerts for the first time ever, but with the addition of Ethan Russell’s intimate photographs and the Maysles revealing film footage, recreate the magic and mystique of the shows for everyone to experience,” said ABKCO CEO Jody Klein in announcing the Ya-Ya’s releases. “It is clear now, 40 years later, that Lester Bangs had it right.”

Source

examiner.com
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2009 at 6:19am by UrbanSteel »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Expanded Ya-Ya's Boxed set to be released Nov'09
Reply #69 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 6:09pm
Expanded Rolling Stones album revisits '60s heyday

By Dean Goodman – Thu Oct 1, 2:43 pm ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The label that controls the rights to the 1960s recordings by the Rolling Stones has cracked open its extensive vaults to reissue a live album that captured the band during its youthful glory.

ABKCO Music & Records is putting out a pair of multi-disc CD and DVD configurations of "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out," a 1970 album frequently heralded as one of the band's best releases as well as one of the most vibrant live recordings by any group.

The album consists of songs mainly recorded during a two-night stand at New York's Madison Square Garden in November 1969, when icons such as Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Chuck Berry lined up to pay homage to the band backstage.

The band's winter trek, its first U.S. tour in three years, was viewed as a comeback of sorts following a series of drug busts and the death of ousted co-founder Brian Jones four months earlier. The group, with new virtuoso guitarist Mick Taylor on board, unveiled such future classics as the nine-minute "Midnight Rambler" to mesmerizing effect.

"If you were there, you can relive it. And if it's your first time listening to it, you get a sense of what was going on in music at that time -- how it was exploding, how it was so exciting," ABKCO CEO Jody Klein told Reuters.

The "deluxe" package, coming out on November 3, includes a remastered version of the album, sourced from the original vinyl; a disc featuring opening acts B.B. King and Ike & Tina Turner; a five-track disc boasting previously unreleased live Stones tracks; a DVD with 27 minutes of footage; and a 56-page booklet.

A "super deluxe version," due out two weeks later, also includes vinyl versions of the three audio discs.

INNOCENCE LOST

"You look at the DVD and you see how the fans are right up on stage," Klein said. "Mick Jagger is sitting right in front of them. What concert have you been to in the last 20 years that has that anymore?"

Make that 40 years. Those innocent days ended forever a week after the New York shows, when the Stones played a free concert at the Altamont speedway near San Francisco. A Hell's Angels member stabbed a gun-toting fan to death in front of the stage, as seen in the concert documentary "Gimme Shelter."

The "Ya-Ya's" project marks ABKCO's first major release since Klein's father, company founder Allen Klein, died in July. The company is family-controlled, but frequently receives buyout overtures from "venture capitalists or multi-billionaires or record labels or publishing companies," Klein said. He declined to go into specifics.

The ABKCO roster also includes recordings by the likes of Sam Cooke, the Animals and the Kinks. The lucrative publishing division boasts more than 2,000 copyrights for compositions written by the likes of Pete Townshend of the Who and Ray Davies of the Kinks.

Allen Klein, an accountant who cut his teeth extracting unpaid royalties for the likes of Bobby Darin and Sam Cooke, briefly managed the Rolling Stones in the late 1960s, and was also a key player in the bitter break-up of the Beatles.

The Stones fired him, but paid a heavy price. Klein ended up with all their master recordings through the "Ya-Ya's" album, and the copyrights for a few years beyond that.

Relations between the two camps were strained for years, and ABKCO further annoyed the Stones by releasing compilations. But the differences were patched over in 1989, and they have worked together on projects since.

The detente is not exactly great news for Stones fans, as Klein shares Jagger's reluctance to put out archival material such as unreleased demos, outtakes and live recordings.

"There's a time and a place for those things, and the time has not come yet," Klein said. "The Rolling Stones are still making records."

The paucity of rarities in the new "Ya-Ya's" package raised some fans' eyebrows. The five previously unreleased audio tracks are the blues tunes "Prodigal Son" and "You Gotta Move," "Under My Thumb," "I'm Free" and "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction." Different versions of the same tracks appear on the DVD, which also includes amusing behind-the-scenes footage. So why not fill the audio disc with more curios?

"What you have on the EP is the best versions of those performances," Klein said. "I'm not flying in stuff from the BBC (vaults) and adding it just because there is extra space on the CD. It just doesn't make sense."

(Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

- many thanks to Justinkurian for sending me the link

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #70 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 6:15pm

Quote:
The detente is not exactly great news for Stones fans, as Klein shares Jagger's reluctance to put out archival material such as unreleased demos, outtakes and live recordings.

"There's a time and a place for those things, and the time has not come yet," Klein said. "The Rolling Stones are still making records."

I hope Klein and Jagger kept their faces straight when they said this....

ONE fucking album in 12 years, and counting.

Meanwhile, to use another act of similar vintage, Dylan released Time out of Mind on the same day as the Stones released their last but one album Bridges To Babylon, and in the time since has recorded four studio albums and put out FIVE archive releases....and dont even get me started on Neil Young.

I've said it before. If the Stones are intending to wait until the band are long finished to start opening their vaults, it'll get to the stage where there wont be enough fans still around to care enough to make it worthwhile. The appalling sales of their recent remasters would indicate that the public are rapidly losing interest.

... ... ...
IP Logged

fuman
Ex Member

Reply #71 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 6:40am
Gazza wrote on Oct 2nd, 2009 at 6:15pm:
Quote:

Meanwhile, to use another act of similar vintage, Dylan released Time out of Mind on the same day as the Stones released their last but one album Bridges To Babylon, and in the time since has recorded four studio albums and put out FIVE archive releases....and dont even get me started on Neil Young.

I've said it before. If the Stones are intending to wait until the band are long finished to start opening their vaults, it'll get to the stage where there wont be enough fans still around to care enough to make it worthwhile. The appalling sales of their recent remasters would indicate that the public are rapidly losing interest.

Exactly!! I think I'm already at that point.
I'll want to hear the new Ya-Yas, but I won't buy it.

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Re: Ya Yas Deluxe Edition To Be Released November
Reply #72 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 7:19am
They really are stupid and still think it's 1990 or something. They want to seem relevant, and as Gazza points out, 1 album in 12 years is hardly relevant, but they've left it all too late. No one but us losers care! There are no new fans.

Let me put it this way. Say its 1969, and its announced that Al Jolson is releasing all his archived stuff. Who attending the MSG Stones concerts would be in awe of that happening?

2009 - Any kid into any of todays bands, whether Faux-rock, cuntry, or rap-crap, is gonna give a rats ass about what the Stones did? Shit, they dont care what they do now, let alone, what they did 40 years ago. The proof in all this is the relative under performance of the Beatles remasters. They were predicted to occupy the entire top 10 by some people! Australia is a huge Beatles market. Per capita, maybe the biggest. Yet none of the albums made the top 10 here. Expectations were way down.

But dont feel bad. U2 have only sold 1mill copies of their latest forgettable piece of crap. Those dudes are going EXACTLY the way of the Stones.

Poor bastards. Rich, poor bastards, but poor basterds all the same.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Lantern_Ruby
Rocks Off Regular

Le Roi Est Mort, Vive
Le Roi

Re: Ya Yas Deluxe Edition To Be Released November
Reply #73 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 9:01am
corgi37 wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 7:19am:
They really are stupid and still think it's 1990 or something. They want to seem relevant, and as Gazza points out, 1 album in 12 years is hardly relevant, but they've left it all too late. No one but us losers care! There are no new fans.

Let me put it this way. Say its 1969, and its announced that Al Jolson is releasing all his archived stuff. Who attending the MSG Stones concerts would be in awe of that happening?

2009 - Any kid into any of todays bands, whether Faux-rock, cuntry, or rap-crap, is gonna give a rats ass about what the Stones did? Shit, they dont care what they do now, let alone, what they did 40 years ago. The proof in all this is the relative under performance of the Beatles remasters. They were predicted to occupy the entire top 10 by some people! Australia is a huge Beatles market. Per capita, maybe the biggest. Yet none of the albums made the top 10 here. Expectations were way down.

But dont feel bad. U2 have only sold 1mill copies of their latest forgettable piece of crap. Those dudes are going EXACTLY the way of the Stones.

Poor bastards. Rich, poor bastards, but poor basterds all the same.

Corgi, I couldnt be more agree with you. Ditto. Expecially the last sentence.
I dont DO NOT want o put more of my money in the pocket of them. For this shit? Whom care?
Otherwise I already got the original Ya Yas. If it's not the ultimate remastered, well is not so relevant to me.

Alea iacta est.&&Honni soit qui mal y pense&&...

IP Logged

Lantern_Ruby
Rocks Off Regular

Le Roi Est Mort, Vive
Le Roi

Reply #74 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 11:05am
Gazza wrote on Oct 2nd, 2009 at 6:15pm:
Quote:

You sound so bitter, Gazza.. as probably we are too. And anyway.. who's are the buyers of their CDs DVDs and ect?
Which age we got here in RO? I bet we're all beyond the 35. I havent see a 16/ 25 years old ones here.
The youth dont care of the Stones. They dont know them. They dont go then in their shows.
Wait for me, I will come with you to the stage to them with anybody or so around.
I wont buy the new Ya Yas. And maybe I'll listening the same, soon.

Alea iacta est.&&Honni soit qui mal y pense&&...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)