Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ABB vs Bridges & VL (Read 1,337 times)
Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
ABB vs Bridges & VL
Aug 27th, 2009 at 6:52pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
For a long time before ABB, there was often debate about which was better ABB or B2B... So now, all these years after even ABB... how does this debate still hold up? And anyone think ABB is better than either? I'm about to start playing all three... The new remasters... I'm putting on Bridges first, the VL, then(gulp) ABB... I'm even going to throw Steel Wheels into the fray, just to see how it is holding up... Even though the production on it, like Dirty Work has that Icky 80's stink on it, that can remind me of chewing aluminum foil...
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2009 at 7:20pm by Pdog »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: ABB vs Bridges & VL
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 7:19pm
1) VooDoo Lounge

2) A Bigger Bang

3) Bridges to Babylon

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 7:25pm
After it came out, I said on here that ABB was their best album since Tattoo You. I felt that way for a few months afterwards.

Time maybe gives a different perspective. Still a mostly very good album, despite a couple of turds (as one would expect on a CD featuring 18 songs) but a few absolute gems. With hindsight, I prefer BTB - by some distance their best work post-1981. Certainly their most consistent and most interesting musically.

VL (also a bit overlong, but when they go several years between releases it would be a bit churlish to complain about getting two or three extra songs) could maybe have been improved by ditching two or three clunkers in favour of some of the stronger b-sides and with Mick spending a bit more time on binning some of his more banal lyrics. Still a very worthy release though.

The main 'what if'  from that period though is that we could have got a really outstanding Stones album in 1992 had they pooled their collective muses on a band project instead of devoting them to solo releases. In the space of three or four months from late 1992 into early 1993, Mick released his best ever solo album 'Wandering Spirit', Keith put out 'Main Offender' - a record that I personally think was the better of his two strong solo releases , and even Woody showed a return to his mid 70's form with 'Slide On This', which was a really good CD too.

All fine albums in their own right, but with all three of them somewhat creatively rejuvenated after the 1989-90 Steel Wheels album and tour, it's a case of the Great Stones Album That Got Away for me.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Paris, France
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 7:45pm
B2B by a country mile, actually I just listened to it on Tuesday, smashing ! I was just a bit disappointed by the sound on some tracks though, not very clear, especially Flip the Switch. I think the big difference with the other two is that they had other musicians involved as well as producers...that really gives more depth to the songs. Waddy's guitar is on fire on several tracks, notably Saint of Me, playing licks Keith or Ronnie no longer seem capable of. Benmont Tench's (sp ?) keyboards do a lot for Already Over Me. It doesn't always work though when the material is boring like "Always Suffering".

Obviously on the solo albums Gazza mentions, they enlisted the help of other musicians so that would have been a factor too, although Mick's otherwise wonderful WS sounds a bit "uniform".

Let's face it, we're not going to get another "Salt of the Earth", but they can still write decent songs that are best brought to life with the help of other musicians and possibly producers.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2009 at 4:22am by gotdablouse »  
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 8:00pm
i just want to start off by saying i own all three and all three of them have some great songs on them.  i am going to have to agree with edith grove in terms of best to worst, even if there really is such a thing.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 8:07pm
I like Voodoo Lounge the best.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 9:46pm
Like Gazza. I actually would go a step further and initially I thought A Bigger Bang was the best since Some Girls. Even better than Tattoo You.

Now, after time has passed, I must say ABB is still a great album. It was what The Stones needed. A matter of fact someone just told me tonight when discussing it it was what The Stones "needed to release then". That was from a 23 year old who understands music but is not a Stones fan. He simply can appreciate them. ABB revived The Stones. It was a make or break album for them it seemed after the hit and miss reviews of Bridges and the eight long year span between albums. It was what was needed to just rock hard, as a group, minus all the filler people, and turn out a stripped down, in your face, rock album.

That is exactly what ABB is. Now, My personal favorite since Some Girls is Voodoo Lounge. It has more strong songs in places. It is a special album. However I realize it is not as "solid" in a song by song basis as A Bigger Bang.

Still my favorite of the three, after a good time has passed now goes to Voodoo Lounge. Initially I thought A Bigger Bang was until about a year passed. Then VL started to come back to memory as possibly over all a better release....  simply for a handful of strong, strong singles (Love Is Strong, You Got Me Rockin, I Go Wild, and Out of Teas ...as well as a strong Keith song, Thru and Thru). Now Voodoo Lounge to me has emerged as the victor over all. However I still feel A Bigger Bang is easily the most "solid" since Some Girls. Every song is at least good or fairly decent enough (with most being pretty good). Like I say it revived The Stones not only because of the solidity of the album but just how freakin great it sounds and they, as a band sounded again. It was "alive sounding" and in your face in the production.

Bridges takes last spot. A good album over all but it isn't all my personal cup of tea as far as Stones albums go. Still it was a step in a different direction and that was a good thing to try right around that time so I have no qualms about it.

Ian
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2009 at 9:51pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 7:49am
Voodoo Stew imho is better than them all

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

steeldrivinghammer
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 1:28pm
Well they're all good.

Bang was supposed to be "raw" but still it's polished.

Voodoo, BB, B2B.

Of course all 3 could be a bit better.

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 2:43pm
Hi Muffin!  Let's go get drunk

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

steeldrivinghammer
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 2:45pm
Hey babe.

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 3:44pm
I love all three albums. Looking back at the entire Stones catalogue there are classics on every album in my opinion.

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 7:32pm
Just listened to ABB tonight, for the first time in years, probably listened to it too much when it came out...well it's not as dull as I remembered, I was happy to hear songs I'd forgotten about like "Rain Fall Down" or "Back of my Hand" or SOL, actually I listened to all of it up to "LWTHCdragged in", that one and "Driving too Fast" are not worthy of the Stones, oh and I skipped "SSMComing", worst track ever on a Stones record IMHO. Infamy was not as bad as I remembered.

I'll stand by my opinion that they could have used some input from other musicians like they did on B2B. What's up with Mick playing bass on several tracks, it's a bit hard to understand the reason for that. I also counted only 10 tracks where Ronnie played, that has to be his worst count ever since B&B. Another nice touch is to see Mick play and sing (hard to recognoze though) on Keith's tracks, on B2B he was reportedly sulking when Keith's tracks got recorded, he doesn't appear on the them at all for sure.

Not bad, but some horrible songs, the playing is "so-so" and the sound is generally "mushy", lacking compared to B2B.

Not sure I'll listen to VL, that one bores me, Voodoo Stew on the other hand and Keith's stellar "Make it Now" is another story.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #13 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 10:29pm
It's all good, whatever mood youre in. Sometimes you feel like ABB, sometimes you feel like B2B, sometimes VL. I'm glad the Stones have different album flavors for different days. Some days I love ABB, other days I skip thru some of the songs, but I do that on all their albums!

IP Logged

BONOISLOVE
Rocks Off Regular

The world
Reply #14 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 10:43pm

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #15 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 12:42am
BONOISLOVE wrote on Aug 28th, 2009 at 10:43pm:

bonoislove??? is that really you??? where the hell have you been? hows the claw thing coming along? what do you think of the edge's big screen appearance?? is yer christmas album coming out this year?

IP Logged

wiseblood
Rocks Off Regular

Wading pools and beer
on a hot summer day...

Boston, MA
Reply #16 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 12:20pm
Voodoo Lounge is the best of the bunch. 

In fact - here is where I always get into argumente - Voodoo Lounge is their best album since Exile.  It's better than GHS.  Better than Some Girls.  Better than Tattoo You. 

Come on queenie, let's shake it.

IP Logged

LanternHigh
Rocks Off Regular

Italy
Reply #17 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 12:34pm
ABB

VL
BtB
Exile is still their best ever

...&&...
https://www.facebook.com/  
IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #18 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 9:41pm
No.  That honor belongs to 'Let It Bleed'.  Fuck the "Exile Mafia".

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #19 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 11:55pm
lotsajizz wrote on Aug 29th, 2009 at 9:41pm:
No.  That honor belongs to 'Let It Bleed'.  Fuck the "Exile Mafia".

I suppose I can throw my quick two cents in possibly? (although nobody asked for it).

To me LIB was ground breaking. A Land mark album. A milestone. A masterpiece and reflection of the end of the turbulent 1960's dark side. LIB is a statement to the end of that era. As well LIB has an innovative, creative quality to it.

Exile is the Stones in their purest. It's a long look at the Rock n Roll soul of the Stones. It is The Stones bare naked with no shame (...I suppose it makes sense Mick was recording "Tumbling Dice"  naked at one point supposedly). Exile is the "crude" of the most real and true Rock and Roll band that has ever played. It shows and clearly demonstrates the inner core and simplicity of all the basic components and musical styles that make up The Rolling Stones classic sound (focusing mainly on Rock n Roll and Country) and they are intertwined together in this albums sound masterfully.

Two different albums entirely. They are completely different in sound, structure, and feeling. Each has a different vibe and the two represent two totally different concepts. Although they are The Rolling Stones at their very best, and the albums are considered some of the best music ever produced they are in quite different from each other. The two albums were released only three years apart but they sound a feel as though they are at opposite ends of a basic Rock and Roll band's spectrum.  

*They are both superb Stones and are really true classics. Both are masterpieces in their own different way.

Ian
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2009 at 12:13am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

BONOISLOVE
Rocks Off Regular

The world
Reply #20 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 1:58pm
mojoman wrote on Aug 29th, 2009 at 12:42am:
BONOISLOVE wrote on Aug 28th, 2009 at 10:43pm:

bonoislove??? is that really you??? where the hell have you been? hows the claw thing coming along? what do you think of the edge's big screen appearance?? is yer christmas album coming out this year?

That will be more than just another album. It will allow the possibility to make people aware of the gut wrenching place that this planet can sometimes be. Also, I want one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Mens-Three-Short-Sleeve/dp/B002HJ377A
Having wore it, you might think twice about buying a fur coat, no?

IP Logged

real wild child
Rocks Off Regular

Mexico City
Reply #21 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 3:53pm
Steel Wheels wasn´t a good comeback Almost Hear You Sigh,Mixed Emotions and Slipping Away are the best songs but what I like the most of it it´s the sound of Bill Wyman´s bass,his best work with the band since Some Girls,that rhythm section is missing in the next three. Voodoo Lunge is OK but there are so many songs that can be dropped with 10 or 11 songs would be better. And Ronnie saves the day he shines through all the record and the tour as well.His last sober moment as a musician. Bridges to Babylon worked fine live,the songs played on that tour are better than the studio recordings.But there´s so much production. And ABB is more like Mick´s solo album.No Ronnie, obvioulsy no Bill and I think it´s the worst album of Keith.

Good,average albums but not my favorites. Shit!

I don't do as much as everyone thinks but I probably do a bit more than they imagine – Keith Richards, 2006

IP Logged

Jumping Jack
Rocks Off Regular

Atlanta
Reply #22 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 5:13pm
Big 4:
SF
LIB
EOM
BB

Last 4:
ABB
VL
SW
BTB

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)