Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Exile (right) and Niel Ringstad, Allegiant Stadium Las Vegas - May 11th, 2024 © Mark McHugh

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tribute to Tom Keylock!! (Read 228 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Tribute to Tom Keylock!!
Aug 23rd, 2009 at 2:26pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Puke all over me (wait that is BLEED) Blank Frigging Stare Oh no! not you again Kiss my undercover ass Are you fucking serious? piss off  Shit! you made a grown man cry  Spooky post

Tribute to former Rolling Stones tour manager

7:00am Saturday 22nd August 2009
By James Nadal »
http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/4557731.Tribute_to_former_Rolling_Stones_to...

A FRIEND of former Rolling Stones road manager Tom Keylock - the man dubbed 'Mr Get-It-Together' by guitarist Keith Richards - has paid tribute following his death and told how he helped him when he was homeless.

Mr Keylock who lived in Brandon Road, High Wycombe, died in July.

Friend Mark Smith, 36, a car valeter, also of Brandon Road, has spoken of the selflessness of the 82 year-old, whose story with the band began in the 1960s as their chauffeur.

He began driving Mick Jagger and his bandmates on a tour of Britain in 1965 but quickly became seen as an invaluable 'fixer' who took on a range of roles including bodyguard, cook and tour manager.

Mr Keylock was also hired by Bob Dylan when he toured in 1967 on the recommendation of the band.

He was immortalised in the 2005 film Stoned, where his role in one of the most controversial aspects of the Stones' story was highlighted.

The movie examined the death of former band member Brian Jones who drowned in his swimming pool in 1969.

Mr Keylock was first to arrive on the scene after police.

He advised filmmakers about events surrounding the death and was played by actor David Morrissey.

However, his friend Mr Smith, who first met him in 1991, said he had been oblivious to Mr Keylock's remarkable career until 2005.

“I was really shocked, I couldn't believe it when I found out,” he said.

“When I first found out I thought surely it couldn't be the same Tom Keylock I knew.

“He told me that he was going to be interviewed for a film they were making about him but I never though anything of it. It wasn't until around a year later that he told me about it.

“I thought 'wow', you wouldn't expect someone who had had that kind of life could end up here in Wycombe.”

Mr Smith said watching the film struck a chord with him.

“The way he was with Brian Jones was almost the way he was with me,” he said.

The pair met when Mr Smith had fallen on hard times and found himself homeless.

He had parked his van outside Mr Keylock's house but rather than get the expected rollicking, he was offered food, drink and support.

“He looked after me for that time. I think he was for people who were down on their luck and wanted to give them a boost. He certainly helped me a lot,” Mr Smith said.

“When you're homeless no-one gives you the time of day but he treated me like a normal human being.”

Mr Smith moved to Scotland for a period in the late 1990s but when he moved back to High Wycombe he found his friend had not forgotten him.

Mr Smith said: “As soon as he saw me he recognised me straight away. We used to see each other every day and he would never go past without stopping. He always asked me how things are going.”

He would be remembered for being “hard but in a nice way” and always seeing “the best in people,” Mr Smith said.

He added: “He was a top bloke though, one of the best.”

Mr Smith, who runs the High Wycombe Table Football League, has created a memorial tournament in his honour.

Mr Keylock is survived by his wife Joan and by four daughters.

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Re: Tribute to Tom Keylock!!
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2009 at 12:00pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
He might have changed over the years, but when he was with The Stones, he was ruthless, maybe the guilt finally got to him over Brian Jones's death.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)