Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Exile (right) and Niel Ringstad, Allegiant Stadium Las Vegas - May 11th, 2024 © Mark McHugh

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
RIP Les Paul (Read 2,435 times)
LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

RIP Les Paul
Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:24am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Dead at the ripe old age of 94!

Great talent!
RIP.

LJ.

IP Logged

StPeteStone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Madeira Beach, Florida
Re: RIP Les Paul
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:26am
RIP Mr. Paul.

Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if ma money's no good. Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest, But they should never have taken the very best.
&&...&&...&&...

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:49am
  RIP. Fantastic player right to the grave! There would be no rock n' roll without him. Can't feel too bad though...94 and healthy.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:51am

94 - God bless him.

RIP to a true giant.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009 at 12:13pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:55am
RIP LP You rock!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Wild Bill
Rocks Off Regular

Peace, love y abrazos

East Ozarks
Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 12:06pm
What a musical stud, inventing guitars, multitrack recording and he could really kick ass playing too!

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/13/obit.les.paul/

(CNN) -- Les Paul, whose innovations with the electric guitar and studio technology made him one of the most important figures in recorded music, has died, according to a statement from his publicists. Paul was 94.

Les Paul, whose innovations helped give rise to modern pop music, played guitar into his 90s.

Paul died in White Plains, New York, from complications of severe pneumonia, according to the statement.

Paul was a guitar and electronics mastermind whose creations -- such as multitrack recording, tape delay and the solid-body guitar that bears his name, the Gibson Les Paul -- helped give rise to modern popular music, including rock 'n' roll. No slouch on the guitar himself, he continued playing at clubs into his 90s despite being hampered by arthritis.

"If you only have two fingers [to work with], you have to think, how will you play that chord?" he told CNN.com in a 2002 phone interview. "So you think of how to replace that chord with several notes, and it gives the illusion of sounding like a chord."

"The world has lost a truly innovative and exceptional human being today. I cannot imagine life without Les Paul," said Henry Juszkiewicz, Chairman and CEO of Gibson Guitar. "He would walk into a room and put a smile on anyone's face. His musical charm was extraordinary and his techniques unmatched anywhere in the world."

Lester William Polfuss was born in Waukesha, Wisconsin, on June 9, 1915. Even as a child he showed an aptitude for tinkering, taking apart electric appliances to see what made them tick.

"I had to build it, make it and perfect it," Paul said in 2002. He was nicknamed the "Wizard of Waukesha."

In the 1930s and '40s, he played with the bandleader Fred Waring and several big band singers, including Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and the Andrews Sisters, as well as with his own Les Paul Trio. In the early 1950s, he had a handful of huge hits with his then-wife, Mary Ford, such as "How High the Moon" and "Vaya Con Dios."

His guitar style, heavily influenced by jazzman Django Reinhardt, featured lightning-quick runs and double-time rhythms. In 1948, after being involved in a severe car accident, he asked the doctor to set his arm permanently in a guitar-playing position.

Paul also credited Crosby for teaching him about timing, phrasing and preparation.

Crosby "didn't say it, he did it -- one time only. Unless he blew the lyrics, he did one take."

Paul never stopped tinkering with electronics, and after Crosby gave him an early audiotape recorder, Paul went to work changing it. It eventually led to multitrack recording; on Paul and Ford's hits, he plays many of the guitar parts, and Ford harmonizes with herself. Multitrack recording is now the industry standard.

But Paul likely will be best remembered for the Gibson Les Paul, a variation on the solid-body guitar he built in the early 1940s -- "The Log" -- and offered to the guitar company.

"For 10 years, I was a laugh," he told CNN in an interview. "[But] kept pounding at them and pounding at them saying hey, here's where it's at. Here's where tomorrow, this is it. You can drown out anybody with it. And you can make all these different sounds that you can't do with a regular guitar."

Gibson, spurred by rival Fender, finally took Paul up on his offer and introduced the model in 1952. It has since become the go-to guitar for such performers as Eric Clapton.

Paul is enshrined in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Grammy Hall of Fame, the Inventors Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame. He is survived by three sons, a daughter, five grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. Until recently he had a standing gig at New York's Iridium Jazz Club, where he would play with a who's-who of famed musicians.

He admired the places guitarists and engineers took his inventions, but he said there was nothing to replace good, old-fashioned elbow grease and soul.

"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one," he said in 2002, "and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes."

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 12:12pm
He played regularly to the end....R.I.P.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 12:17pm
RIP Les Paul

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 12:20pm
Got to meet him thru his roadie/tech (YES! He had one!) who is a family friend.

A great man. A true gentleman. And a man that R&R owes so much thanks to.

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 12:22pm
RIP Les Paul! he influenced so many great guitarist's, Bill Wyman once mentioned that the Stones once went & saw him, & he seen these women making eye contact with him, & he winked at them & that was The Stones! this was in the early 60's.
He lived to a good old age, I have several recordings of him with Chet Atkins, who was very influenced by him, he was ahead of his time way back when.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 12:29pm
RIP Les. Thanks for the gift of electricity, six strings, a pickup, and an amp.

Riffy

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

Wild Bill
Rocks Off Regular

Peace, love y abrazos

East Ozarks
Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 12:34pm
Glad I got to see him once in my life - at the House of (Sometimes) Blues in Chicago where he proceeded to kick Slash's sorry ass.

RIP, Lester William Polfuss.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News/les-paul-passes-away-at-94-813/

The World Has Lost a Remarkable Innovator and Musician: Les Paul Passes Away at 94
1915 - 2009

New York, NY…August 13, 2009…Les Paul, acclaimed guitar player, entertainer and inventor, passed away today from complications of severe pneumonia at White Plains Hospital in White Plains, New York, surrounded by family and loved ones. He had been receiving the best available treatment through this final battle and in keeping with his persona, he showed incredible strength, tenacity and courage. The family would like to express their heartfelt thanks for the thoughts and prayers from his dear friends and fans. Les Paul was 94. 

One of the foremost influences on 20th century sound and responsible for the world’s most famous guitar, the Les Paul model, Les Paul’s prestigious career in music and invention spans from the 1930s to the present. Though he’s indisputably one of America’s most popular, influential, and accomplished electric guitarists, Les Paul is best known as an early innovator in the development of the solid body guitar. His groundbreaking design would become the template for Gibson’s best-selling electric, the Les Paul model, introduced in 1952. Today, countless musical legends still consider Paul’s iconic guitar unmatched in sound and prowess. Among Paul’s most enduring contributions are those in the technological realm, including ingenious developments in multi-track recording, guitar effects, and the mechanics of sound in general.

Born Lester William Polsfuss in Waukesha, Wisconsin on June 9, 1915, Les Paul was already performing publicly as a honky-tonk guitarist by the age of 13. So clear was his calling that Paul dropped out of high school at 17 to play in Sunny Joe Wolverton’s Radio Band in St. Louis. As Paul’s mentor, Wolverton was the one to christen him with the stage name “Rhubarb Red,” a moniker that would follow him to Chicago in 1934. There, Paul became a bona fide radio star, known as both hillbilly picker Rhubarb Red and Django Reinhardt-informed jazz guitarist Les Paul. His first recordings were done in 1936 on an acoustic—alone as Rhubarb Red, as well as backing blues singer Georgia White. The next year he formed his first trio, but by 1938 he’d moved to New York to begin his tenure on national radio with one of the more popular dance orchestras in the country, Fred Waring’s Pennsylvanians.

Tinkering with electronics and guitar amplification since his youth, Les Paul began constructing his own electric guitar in the late ’30s. Unhappy with the first generation of commercially available hollowbodies because of their thin tone, lack of sustain, and feedback problems, Paul opted to build an entirely new structure. “I was interested in proving that a vibration-free top was the way to go,” he has said. “I even built a guitar out of a railroad rail to prove it. What I wanted was to amplify pure string vibration, without the resonance of the wood getting involved in the sound.” With the good graces of Epiphone president Epi Stathopoulo, Paul used the Epiphone plant and machinery in 1941 to bring his vision to fruition. He affectionately dubbed the guitar “The Log.” 

Les Paul’s tireless experiments sometimes proved to be dangerous, and he nearly electrocuted himself in 1940 during a session in the cellar of his Queens apartment. During the next two years of rehabilitation, Les earned his living producing radio music. Forced to put the Pennsylvanians and the rest of his career on hold, Les Paul moved to Hollywood. During World War II, he was drafted into the Army but permitted to stay in California, where he became a regular player for Armed Forces Radio Service. By 1943 he had assembled a trio that regularly performed live, on the radio, and on V-Discs. In 1944 he entered the jazz spotlight—thanks to his dazzling work filling in for Oscar Moore alongside Nat King Cole, Illinois Jacquet, and other superstars —at the first of the prestigious Jazz at the Philharmonic concerts. 

By his mid-thirties, Paul had successfully combined Reinhardt-inspired jazz playing and the western swing and twang of his Rhubarb Red persona into one distinctive, electrifying style. In the Les Paul Trio he translated the dizzying runs and unusual harmonies found on Jazz at the Philharmonic into a slower, subtler, more commercial approach. His novelty instrumentals were tighter, brasher, and punctuated with effects. Overall, the trademark Les Paul sound was razor-sharp, clean-shaven, and divinely smooth. 

As small combos eclipsed big bands toward the end of World War II, Les Paul Trio’s popularity grew. They cut records for Decca both alone and behind the likes of Helen Forrest, the Andrews Sisters, the Delta Rhythm Boys, Dick Hayes, and, most notably, Bing Crosby. Since 1945, when the crooner brought them into the studio to back him on a few numbers, the Trio had become regular guests on Crosby’s hit radio show. The highlight of the session was Paul’s first No. 1 hit and million-seller, the gorgeous “It’s Been a Long, Long Time.” 

Meanwhile, Paul began to experiment with dubbing live tracks over recorded tracks, also altering the playback speed. This resulted in “Lover (When You’re Near Me),” his revolutionary 1947 predecessor to multi-track recording. The hit instrumental featured Les Paul on eight different electric guitar parts, all playing together.

In 1948, Paul nearly lost his life to a devastating car crash that shattered his right arm and elbow. Still, he convinced doctors to set his broken arm in the guitar-picking and cradling position. Laid up but undaunted, Paul acquired a first generation Ampex tape recorder from Crosby in 1949, and began his most important multi-tracking adventure, adding a fourth head to the recorder to create sound-on-sound recordings. While tinkering with the machine and its many possibilities, he also came up with tape delay. These tricks, along with another recent Les Paul innovation—close mic-ing vocals—were integrated for the first time on a single recording: the 1950 No. 1 tour de force “How High the Moon.”

This historic track was performed during a duo with future wife Mary Ford. The couple’s prolific string of hits for Capitol Records not only included some of the most popular recordings of the early 1950s, but also wrote the book on contemporary studio production. The dense but crystal clear harmonic layering of guitars and vocals, along with Ford’s close mic-ed voice and Paul’s guitar effects, produced distinctively contemporary recordings with unprecedented sonic qualities. Through hits, tours, and popular radio shows, Paul and Ford kept one foot in the technological vanguard and the other in the cultural mainstream. 

All the while, Les Paul continued to pine for the perfect guitar. Though The Log came close, it wasn’t quite what he was after. In the early 1950s, Gibson Guitar would cultivate a partnership with Paul that would lead to the creation of the guitar he’d seen only in his dreams. In 1948, Gibson elected to design its first solidbody, and Paul, a self-described “dyed-in-the-wool Gibson man,” seemed the right man for the job. Gibson avidly courted the guitar legend, even driving deep into the Pennsylvania mountains to deliver the first model to newlyweds Les Paul and Mary Ford. 

“Les played it, and his eyes lighted up,” then-Gibson President Ted McCarty has recalled. The year was 1950, and Paul had just signed on as the namesake of Gibson’s first electric solidbody, with exclusive design privileges. Working closely with Paul, Gibson forged a relationship that would change popular culture forever. The Gibson Les Paul model—the most powerful and respected electric guitar in history—began with the 1952 release of the Les Paul Goldtop. After introducing the original Les Paul Goldtop in 1952, Gibson issued the Black Beauty, the mahogany-topped Les Paul Custom, in 1954. The Les Paul Junior (1954) and Special (1955) were also introduced before the canonical Les Paul Standard hit the market in 1958. With revolutionary humbucker pickups, this sunburst classic has remained unchanged for the half-century since it hit the market.

“The world has lost a truly innovative and exceptional human being today. I cannot imagine life without Les Paul. He would walk into a room and put a smile on anyone’s face. His musical charm was extraordinary and his techniques unmatched anywhere in the world,” said Henry Juszkiewicz, Chairman and CEO of Gibson Guitar. “We will dedicate ourselves to preserving Les’ legacy to insure that it lives on forever. He touched so many lives throughout his remarkable life and his influence extends around the globe and across every boundary. I have lost a dear, personal friend and mentor, a man who has changed so many of our lives for the better.”

“I don’t think any words can describe the man we know as Les Paul adequately. The English language does not contain words that can pay enough homage to someone like Les. As the “Father of the Electric Guitar”, he was not only one of the world’s greatest innovators  but a legend who created, inspired and contributed to the success of musicians around the world,” said Dave Berryman, President of Gibson Guitar. “I have had the privilege to know and work with Les for many, many years and his passing has left a deep personal void. He was simply put – remarkable in every way. As a person, a musician, a friend, an inventor. He will be sorely missed by us all,”

With the rise of the rock ’n’ roll revolution of 1955, Les Paul and Mary Ford’s popularity began to wane with younger listeners, though Paul would prove to be a massive influence on younger generation of guitarists. Still, Paul and Ford maintained their iconic presence with their wildly popular television show, which ran from 1953-1960. In 1964, the couple, parents to a son and daughter, divorced. Paul began playing in Japan, and recorded an LP for London Records before poor health forced him to take time off—as much as someone so inspired can take time off. 

In the 1977, Paul resurfaced with a Grammy-winning Chet Atkins collaboration, Chester and Lester.  Then the ailing guitarist, who’d already suffered arthritis and permanent hearing loss, had a heart attack, followed by bypass surgery. 

Ever stubborn, Les recovered, and returned to live performance in the late 1980s. Until recently Les continued to perform two weekly New York shows with the Les Paul Trio, even releasing the 2005 double-Grammy winner Les Paul & Friends: American Made World Played, featuring collaborations with a veritable who’s who of the electric guitar, including dozens of illustrious fans like Keith Richards, Buddy Guy, Billy Gibbons, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, and Joe Perry. In 2008, The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame paid tribute to Les Paul in a week-long celebration of his life which culminated with a live performance by Les himself. 

Les Paul has since become the only individual to share membership into the Grammy Hall of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the National Inventors Hall of Fame, and the National Broadcasters Hall of Fame. Les is survived by his three sons Lester (Rus) G.  Paul, Gene W. Paul and Robert (Bobby) R. Paul, his daughter Colleen Wess, son-in-law Gary Wess, long time friend Arlene Palmer,  five grandchildren and five great grandchildren. A private Funeral service will be held in New York. A service in Waukesha, WI will be announced at a later date. Details will follow and will be announced for all services. Memorial tributes for the public will be announced at a future date.   The family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Les Paul Foundation, 236 West 30th Street, 7th Floor, New York, New York 10001.

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #12 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 12:58pm
Very sad news.

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #13 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 2:24pm
RIP to a great man.  I can't hear Les Paul's name without Mary Ford's right beside it.  I remember listening their music on the radio when I was a child.

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 2:40pm
R n' R owes him sooooo much...

RIP

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #15 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 3:30pm
RIP to the original guitar god Les Paul.   Thank you for the great music.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #16 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 3:32pm
rest in peace les, thanks for everything!!!!

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #17 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 3:54pm

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 4:17pm
rip...just heard this on the news.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #19 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 4:26pm
That guy saw it all, did it all, and had a hand in shaping the 20th century.

Tonight, plug 'em in if you got 'em, turn 'em up, and play some rock and roll!

Rest in Peace Les Paul!

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #20 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 4:46pm
he changed the world as we know it.

RIP Sir Les.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #21 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 5:02pm
What a great.  AND he invented the 8 track tape!!
Lester Polsfuss.  A TRUE GUITAR HERO

Mr. Paul, whose original name was Lester William Polsfuss, was born on June 9, 1915, in Waukesha, Wis. His childhood piano teacher wrote to his mother, “Your boy, Lester, will never learn music.” But he picked up harmonica, guitar and banjo by the time he was a teenager and started playing with country bands in the Midwest. In Chicago he performed for radio broadcasts on WLS and led the house band at WJJD; he billed himself as the Wizard of Waukesha, Hot Rod Red and Rhubarb Red.

His interest in gadgets came early. At the age of 10 he devised a harmonica holder from a coat hanger. Soon afterward he made his first amplified guitar by opening the back of a Sears acoustic model and inserting, behind the strings, the pickup from a dismantled Victrola. With the record player on, the acoustic guitar became an electric one. Later, he built his own pickup from ham radio earphone parts and assembled a recording machine using a Cadillac flywheel and the belt from a dentist’s drill.

From country music Mr. Paul moved into jazz, influenced by players like Django Reinhardt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QATIHWbN-sM ; and Eddie Lang, who were using amplified hollow-body guitars to play hornlike single-note solo lines. He formed the Les Paul Trio in 1936 and moved to New York, where he was heard regularly on Fred Waring’s radio show from 1938 to 1941.

In 1940 or 1941 — the exact date is unknown — , Mr. Paul made his guitar breakthrough. Seeking to create electronically sustained notes on the guitar, he attached strings and two pickups to a wooden board with a guitar neck. “The log,” as he called it, if not the first solid-body electric guitar, became the most influential one.

“You could go out and eat and come back and the note would still be sounding,” Mr. Paul once said.

The odd-looking instrument drew derision when he first played it in public, so he hid the works inside a conventional-looking guitar. But the log was a conceptual turning point. With no acoustic resonance of its own, it was designed to generate an electronic signal that could be amplified and processed — the beginning of a sonic transformation of the world’s music.

Mr. Paul was drafted in 1942 and worked in California for the Armed Forces Radio Service, accompanying Rudy Vallee, Kate Smith and others. When he was discharged in 1943, he was hired as a staff musician for NBC radio in Los Angeles. His trio toured with the Andrews Sisters and backed Nat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSzKHco00ww
King Cole and Bing Crosby, with whom he recorded the hit “It’s Been a Long, Long Time” in 1945.
Crosby encouraged Mr. Paul to build his own recording studio, and so he did, in his garage in Los Angeles.

There he experimented with recording techniques, using them to create not realistic replicas of a performance but electronically enhanced fabrications. Toying with his mother’s old Victrola had shown him that changing the speed of a recording could alter both pitch and timbre. He could record at half-speed and replay the results at normal speed, creating the illusion of superhuman agility. He altered instrumental textures through microphone positioning and reverberation. Technology and studio effects, he realized, were instruments themselves.

He also noticed that by playing along with previous recordings, he could become a one-man ensemble. As early as his 1948 hit “Lover,” he made elaborate, multilayered recordings, using two acetate disc machines, which demanded that each layer of music be captured in a single take. From discs he moved to magnetic tape, and in the late 1950s he built the first eight-track multitrack recorder. Each track could be recorded and altered separately, without affecting the others. The machine ushered in the modern recording era.

He recorded a final album, “American Made, World Played” (Capitol), to celebrate his 90th birthday in 2005. It featured guest appearances by Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Jeff Beck, Sting, Joe Perry of Aerosmith and Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. The album brought him two Grammy Awards: for best pop instrumental performance and best rock instrumental performance. He had already won recognition from the Grammy trustees for technical achievements and another performance Grammy in 1976, for the album “Chester and Lester,” made with Chet Atkins.

In recent years, he said he was working on another major invention but would not reveal what it was.

“Honestly, I never strove to be an Edison,” he said in a 1991 interview in The New York Times. “The only reason I invented these things was because I didn’t have them and neither did anyone else. I had no choice, really.”

«
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009 at 9:07pm by Tumbled »  

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #22 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 5:27pm
“The only reason I invented these things was because I didn’t have them and neither did anyone else. I had no choice, really.”

Pretty amazing.

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #23 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 6:39pm
Did y'all know who the best man at Les Paul and Mary Ford's wedding was?  It was Dr. George "Sonny" Miller, Steve's dad.  Les was also Steve's godfather and taught him his first guitar chords at age five.

So long, Les.  We can never thank you enough.  You truly changed the world.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Wild Bill
Rocks Off Regular

Peace, love y abrazos

East Ozarks
Reply #24 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 7:40pm
10 Things You Gotta Do To Play Like Les Paul
By Jesse Gress

AS ONE OF THE FOUNDING fathers of the electric guitar, genius inventor and designer—and guitarist par excellence—Les Paul stands as one of our country’s greatest national treasures. A true living legend, Paul’s unparalleled career stretches back to well before the dawn of tape-based recording technology, and it’s safe to say that his influence has touched every guitarist who has since walked the planet. You’ll hear echoes of Paul’s playing in everyone from Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, and Danny Gatton to George Benson, Pat Martino, and Brad Paisley. But it wasn’t only Paul’s playing that cast a wide spell. His inventions literally changed the world.

It all began about a decade after Lester William Polfus was born in Waukesha, Wisconsin on June 9, 1915. Les’ early fondness for reading and tinkering bred a knack for modifying whatever materials he had access to in order to suit his own needs. Whether it was sticking a phonograph needle in the top of his first Sears-Roebuck guitar to amplify it (circa 1927!), or fashioning a harmonica holder out of wire (one of many patented Paul inventions), as Les became more interested in music, he simply invented whatever he needed to get the job done.

Paul began making what he called “multiple” recordings first by punching out additional holes in his mother’s player piano rolls, and later by utilizing a pair of disc cutting lathes. Les would record a part directly to a 78rpm acetate, then add a second part by playing along with the first disc while simultaneously cutting a second one. By repeating this process, Paul could build up as many tracks as he wanted, with one small drawback—any mistake meant re-cutting the previous disc. Keep making clams and you’d end up back where you started! Eventually, Paul rigged up several pulleys of different diameters to control the speed of the lathe motors in various increments, which allowed him to record parts at reduced speeds and normalize them on playback. Once he got the hang of it, Les holed up in his home studio, and, after about 500 attempts, emerged with something completely different that turned the music world upside down. Les Paul’s astounding “New Sound,” first heard on 1948’s “Lover” and “Brazil,” was a dizzying kaleidoscope of sound imagery characterized by Paul’s twinkling pixie guitars flying through the arrangements with seemingly impossible velocity. Anxious to continue his newfound success and make his job a little easier, Paul modified a German-made magnetic tape recorder he acquired from Bing Crosby with an additional head, and invented the first sound-on-sound tape recorder. But Les was sidelined by a serious car accident that left his right arm permanently set in playing position. Paul continued recording during his recovery, and in 1949, married an attractive young vocalist named Colleen Summers, whom he promptly renamed Mary Ford. Paul’s layered treatment of Ford’s angelic voice was a huge hit, and the duo became one of the biggest international acts in the music business. They cut hundreds of songs, including the chart-topping “How High the Moon” and “Vaya Con Dios” (a generous sampling of the duo’s Capitol catalog was collected in 1991’s Les Paul: The Legend & The Legacy box set), starred in their own television series for seven years, and remained together until divorcing in 1964. (Ford passed away in 1978.)

Since then, Les Paul has gone on to receive five Grammy Awards (including one for 1977’s Chester & Lester with Chet Atkins, and two for 2005’s Les Paul & Friends: American Made World Played), an induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, an honorary membership in the Audio Engineering Society, and numerous other high honors. Les’s fascinating and inspirational life story has been well-documented both in print and on video, so let’s get right to point—the man and his music. But first, you better...

1 LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER
Paul’s earliest musical experiences centered around his mother’s player piano, which he was allowed to crank up and play as a reward for doing chores. Sometime around 1926, he stared down a sewer worker on break in front of Les’ house into surrendering his harmonica, which his mom promptly boiled. Finally in possession of his own instrument, Paul began singing country songs at local barbecue stands as Red Hot Red, but soon realized that he needed to accompany himself with an instrument that he didn’t have to stop singing to play, or stop playing to sing! He tried piano, but didn’t like having his back to the audience. Then, at his mother’s suggestion, Les got his hands on a banjo. He liked the instrument, but found its sound too harsh. So once again, Les’ mother stepped in and finally guided the youngster to the guitar, and the rest is history. Paul continued playing country as Rhubarb Red, but also developed an interest in the jazz he was hearing on the radio, and began studying the works of Coleman Hawkins, Earl Hines, and later, Eddie Lang and Django Reinhardt. Torn between lucrative country gigs and low-paying jazz gigs, Paul eventually followed his heart and chose the latter, a wise move that soon led to the beginning of a recording career that would trigger a transformation from sideman to leader of his own trio.

2 NAME IT AND CLAIM IT
Paul began trying to convince guitar manufacturers to build him a solidbody electric guitar as early as 1934, but it wasn’t until 1941 that Les gained access to the Epiphone factory on Sundays and set about building his first fully functional dream instrument. “The Log” was essentially two pickups (another Paul first) mounted on a 2x4 attached to an Epiphone neck, reinforced with a steel rod, and decorated with cosmetic “wings” that gave it the appearance of an archtop hollowbody. A year later, he built a headless guitar out of aluminum. Both instruments reflected Paul’s theory that a guitar’s pickups should be as isolated as possible from its top. He took the Log design to Gibson sometime around 1946 and was politely ushered out the door. It would take another six years until Gibson relented and began production of the gold-colored Les Paul Model in 1952. This was followed by the upscale Custom in 1954, and the Standard in 1958 (as well as several less expensive models). Gibson’s cosmetic makeover to a brilliant sunburst finish, along with some design tweaks, produced during the next two years what have since become the holiest of LP grails—the highly-coveted ’58 and ’59 ’Bursts. Close behind these beauties were the last sunburst Standards produced in1960. Between 1961 and 1963, Gibson altered the design to a thinner, double-cutaway body—often erroneously referred to as the Mary Ford Model—without Paul’s approval. Les Paul Standards and Customs produced during this period are still commonly called “Les Paul/SGs,” but the SG wasn’t truly born until 1964 when Paul severed his ties with Gibson. Half a decade later, Paul struck a new deal, and Gibson resumed production of the single cutaway Les Paul in 1968, and the company’s first reissues, followed a year later by the low-impedance Recording Model, Les’ Les Paul of choice (though his personal instrument is custom made). From that year on, Gibson has manufactured an astounding number of axes bearing Les’s name, including Standards, Customs, Signature Artist Models, and Relics, plus all of their relatives, as well as budget versions currently licensed to Epiphone. It’s hard to imagine any greater honor than having your name practically become synonymous with the solidbody electric guitar itself.

3 STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD
When Paul’s mother commented that she couldn’t distinguish her own son’s playing from other guitarists on the radio, Les immediately set out to remedy the problem. Soon, Paul was peppering his melodies and solos with flashy, ear-catching embellishments pinched and tweaked from nearly every style of music, including tremolo-picked glissandi, fluttering trills, dissonant minor seconds, staccato palm-muting, string bends, and, of course, Les’s wild pull-off and hammer-on runs. Ex. 1a lays out proto-typical Paul-style triplet pull-offs in the key of F—that’s right, just plow through that B natural—while Ex. 1b shows how Paul incorporated the lick, along with some sassy 3-plus-b3/#9 minor seconds, into a head-turning I-V blues turnaround circa 1936 when he was still playing acoustic. Ex. 1c’s bar-long, trem-picked gliss into another version of the run evokes the opening Am cadenza Paul played on electric during a 1944 outtake of “Dark Eyes,” and it’s a move he still uses today. Branching into the key of C, Ex. 1d transposes our fretted whole steps to the fifth and fourth positions to cover a jazzy, dominant II7-V7 progression (D7- G7). Keys rarely imposed limitations on Les’s use of open strings. Case in point: The slippery Bb-based motif in Ex. 1e pivots on open G while alternating between multiple hammer- ons and pull-offs. Smooth! Finally, two hammered-and-pulled three-against-four hemiolas—one in two-part harmony—round out this lick primer in Examples 1f and 1g. Each 3/8 motif takes three full measures to recycle to its point of origin. Les navigated those tempos by speeding up his parts, so go easy on yourself and slow ’em down.

4 COME OUT SWINGING
In his own estimation, Paul’s earliest recordings (as a sideman with blues singer Georgia White) were full of over-playing. “I wanted to be sure I got it all in. I was like a dive bomber, playing the fastest run I could that had nothing to do with expressing the blues,” he admits in the liner notes to The Complete Decca Recordings. Luckily for us, this trend extended into 1944, when Paul made his first trio recordings and could really cut loose. Filled with fiery phrasing and tons of notes, Paul’s eight-bar solo excerpt in Ex. 2 soars over a traditional E7-Am-E7-Am-Dm- Am-E7-Am progression (a la “Dark Eyes”) with chromatically descending whole-steps played as hammered-and-pulled triplets (bars 1 and 2), diatonic hammer-ons and pull-offs that pedal on open E and presage the sound of modern two-handed tapping (bars 3 and 4), raked arpeggios (bars 5 and 6), and saucy half-step oblique slurs topped with a trill and tonic stinger (bars 7 and 8). Beck-ola!!

5 FLAUNT YOUR WIT
Anyone who has met Les Paul or witnessed one of the Legend’s live performances is certainly aware of his often ribald sense of humor. During recent interviews or in his current live set (more on that shortly...), Paul jokingly refers to himself as a “moldy fig” and tosses off one-liners like a seasoned pro, often in mid-song. (“I feel like a condemned building with a new flagpole!” and “My thumbs won’t do what I want them to do!” come to mind.) It’s an endearing trait that Les also loves to flaunt in his music. Take the “nyahnyah” lick illustrated in Ex. 3a, for instance. It’s comical enough in single notes, but Les ups the funny bone factor by playing it in parallel minor seconds! “Shave-and-a haircut” is another favorite quote that might pop up at any time. Try dropping the raked-and-muted version shown in Ex. 3b into the last two bars of the upcoming Ex. 4b. And speaking of quotes, Paul loves to paraphrase well-known melodies, as he does in Ex. 3c by playing a palm-muted excerpt from David Rose’s “Holiday for Strings” over a IIIm7-VI7-IIm7-V7 progression...during a ballad!

6 DIVIDE AND MULTIPLY
Released in 1950, “Nola” was one of Paul’s first multiples recorded on magnetic tape. For the ear-tickling opener in Ex. 4a, Les souped up an otherwise pedestrian—if not corny—intro with two half-speed harmony guitars along with one recorded at normal speed. I wanted to fit this on a single staff, so re-finger the individual parts at will. For a real challenge, try playing both half-speed parts at the same time. (Tip: Set a pitch transposer or Whammy Pedal up one octave to reach those impossibly high notes in real time.) Gtr. 3 drops out as Ex. 4b picks up the melody, a bouncy little ditty in which Gtr. 2 adapts similar motifs to the I, II7 and V9 chords (D, E7, and A9) in bars 1-6. The first ending wraps with a move built around D chord tones and their lower chromatic neighbors, plus a pair of bend-y blues licks. The second ending begins with the same D moves, then concludes with a simple “two-bits” ending. (Tip: Here’s where you want to drop Ex. 3b!) All the while, Gtr. 1 chugs out a four-note descending bass line punctuated with staccato chordal fragments for each chord change. Ex. 4c shows one of Paul’s verse variations that features a half-speed, tremolo-picked descending D scale motif (Gtr. 2) flanked by Gtr. 1 playing a heavily palm-muted, slightly-tweaked version of the melody. Dig that crazy minorsecond cluster, then try adapting this example to the E7 and A9 by referencing the ninthand fourteenth-position fingerings in the original melody. Baby! (Treasure Hunt: Dig out my analysis of Paul’s “Caravan” in the 12/98 issue of GP for more on Les’s multi-speed recording techniques.)

7 GET A SIGNATURE INTRO
“How High the Moon”’s infectious melody may have been responsible for the song becoming Les Paul & Mary Ford’s biggest international hit, but it was Paul’s spritely intro that set the mood for the arrangement and became his calling card. Ex. 5 lays out both guitar parts, but if you’re on your own, stick to Gtr. 1. (Tip: You can pare bar 1 down to octaves built on the lowest note in each chord.) The duo’s original 1951 recording of the song plays in the key of A, but Les almost certainly cut it in G, the key he still plays it in every Monday. (It’s coming...)

8 STICK CLOSE TO THE MELODY
Though still more than capable of cutting loose whenever he desires, Paul has certainly streamlined his approach since his early “dive bomber” days. Nowadays, Les stresses the importance of melody: “All of the great musicians stay near that melody, or let you know (what it is) so that you aren’t completely out there,” he told jazz pianist Marian McPartland during a 1996 NPR interview. With his current trio (Almost there...), Les approaches standards such as “The Best Things in Life Are Free” with a playful elegance that allows both the melody and his personality to shine through, as in the simple snippet depicted in Ex. 6. And yes, that final “snapped” open Dis yet another LP trademark. Try ending a few licks at your next gig with an appropriately snapped open A or low-E and watch the heads turn! Of course, if you’re like Les, once you’ve got a melody down pat, you’ve gotta...

9 TINKER WITH IT
Paul currently plays it at every gig (Wait for it...), but ironically, he did not play the melody on the duo’s 1951 hit version of “How High The Moon.” Instead, Mary Ford sang it in glorious four-part harmony while Les created a swinging harmonic bed of chugging, four-on-the-floor block chords, horn-like punctuations, and counterlines, laced with a few hyper-speed fills like the ones back in Examples 1f and 1g. “If you can replace the melody with something better, that’s great, isn’t it?” says Les. One of the song’s highlights occurs at 1:13, where Les’s guitars emerge from Mary’s heavenly wordless vocal interlude, and he wraps up his solo with Ex. 7, one of the swingin’-est three-part figures you’ll ever hear. Combined with an irresistibly toe-tapping rhythm, these simple triadic harmonies—recorded separately, of course—had as huge an impact on the public as any Goodman or Miller classic. Trust me, you’ll be humming it for days! Finally and above all, if you want to emulate Les Paul, you’ve gotta...

10 PLAY FOR FUN
Ready for it? The Legend lives on! Now approaching 94, Les is still a fireball fueled with enough enthusiasm to make a weekly trek to play two sets with his current trio—usually guitarist Lou Pallo and bassists Paul Nowinski or Nicki Parrott—at New York’s Iridium Jazz Club, just as he’s done since beginning this Monday-night tradition at the now-defunct Fat Tuesdays in 1984. Despite ongoing arthritis that leaves only two fretting fingers mobile, Paul still gets around the fingerboard with remarkable agility, grace, and an individuality that would certainly make his mother proud. Paul’s sets are a joy to behold and a laugh riot. And you never know who will show up. Musicians from Paul McCartney and Keith Richards to Tony Bennett and George Benson are among the many who have stopped in to jam with Les, or simply to enjoy witnessing the Legend is such an intimate setting. Years ago, I attended a show at Fat Tuesdays and was seated behind Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones! Pagey sat in on a slow blues while I bought Jonesy a beer. Good times! Catch him while you can, folks—it’s worth the trip.

There was an immeasurable outpouring of love and respect in June, 2005, when musicians from all walks gathered at Carnegie Hall in New York City to celebrate Les’s 90th birthday. Speaking to the crowd, longtime Paul disciple Steve Miller, who was four years old when Les taught him his first guitar chords, couldn’t have put it better: “Les, you’re a wonderful person.” How true. Thanks for keeping us filled with wonder, Les!

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/10-things-you/jun-09/97103

IP Logged

Glimmer Twin
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #25 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 7:44pm
RIP.  Our modern pop music would not be the same without him.  Apparently he lived a great life too. Smiley

taylor made smile

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #26 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 7:57pm
Les Paul documentary with Big Stones content!:
(great shot of Keith doing Heart of Stone )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuXLUUJA0Rs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HI_5LEOC_c

how high the moon  26 tracks!:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UvXr2e9DwU ;  

Documentary part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vomuse9tok

Documentary part 2  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff1dmh1XA2w

Documentary part 3 stones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuXLUUJA0Rs

Documentary part 4:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOFjfK4juRE

Documentary part 5 (of 5):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdAP7Bs6UZ0
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009 at 8:24pm by Tumbled »  

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #27 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 7:59pm
Keith has paid his tribute already :

Les Paul, the jazz guitarist who is credited with creating the solid-body electric guitar that became the dominant sound of Western rock’n’roll music, has died, aged 94.

The jazz pioneer, whose passion for musical innovation brought the guitar into the limelight after years of neglect, died at a hospital in New York after complications from pneumonia.

Musicians from all over the world paid tribute to the musician, whose self-titled guitar, the Gibson Les Paul, contributed to the birth of rock’n’roll.

Keith Richards, the guitarist from the Rolling Stones and a friend, said that Paul’s influence was total. “We must all own up that without Les Paul, generations of flash little punks like us would be in jail or cleaning toilets.”

Saul Hudson, the guitarist better known as Slash from Guns N’ Roses, said that playing with Paul was a humbling experience. “Les Paul was a shining example of how full one’s life can be,” he said. “He was so vibrant and full of positive energy. I’m honoured and humbled to have known and played with him over the years, he was an exceptionally brilliant man.”

Born Lester Polsfuss in 1915, Les Paul started playing music at eight and played guitar semi-professionally. But his Gibson Les Paul, along with the Fender Stratocaster, became the defining instrument of the 20th century.

Paul first attempted to overcome the problems of amplifying an acoustic guitar by stuffing his instrument with rags, and then plaster of Paris, to muffle feedback. He then built a guitar out of a railway track and by 1941 had refined his invention to resemble the first guitar made of solid wood. In 1951, Gibson put the idea into production.

Paul said: “The electric guitar was laughed at. They called me the character with the broomstick with pick-ups on it. It was terrible. Before we came along the guitar was an apologetic wimp — the weakest, most unimportant guy in the band. As soon as we put a pick-up on him, and a volume control, he became the king.”

Paul, who also pioneered multi-track recording and echo effects, was a significant figure in the jazz world, and has been cited as an influence by George Benson and Stanley Jordan.

Pat Metheny, a jazz guitarist, said that Paul’s influence on pop and rock was hard to overestimate. “He is one of those rare figures, maybe the only one, whose fingerprints can be found in nearly every aspect of the way that music has been played, produced and listened to over the past half-century of recorded sound.

“He was also a hilarious and charming figure off the bandstand who delighted every musician he met with his many tales and insights. Any encounter with Les was always something to remember and cherish.”

Joe Satriani, a fellow guitarist, called Paul the “original guitar hero”. He said: “Les Paul set a standard for musicianship and innovation that remains unsurpassed.”

Henry Juszkiewicz, chairman of Gibson Guitar, said: “His influence extends around the globe and across every boundary.”

Paul’s success as a recording artist lasted well into his old age. In February 2006, while in hospital, he learned that he had won two Grammys for Les Paul & Friends: American Made World Played, an album he released after his 90th birthday.

- The Times Online

... ... ...
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 8:38pm
great set of videos Tumbledsomebody

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #29 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:16pm
The man's been a living legend for decades. I was lucky enough to see him in concert once, way back in the 70's, and I never heard of him until that night ~ luckily my 'date' had some class! The man was special. He looked old even then, his style was very conservative ~ classical guitar but he played it fast, so brilliantly ~ RIP Les Paul.

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #30 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 2:31am
sad news- RIP, Mr Paul

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #31 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 6:24am
Tumbled wrote on Aug 13th, 2009 at 7:57pm:

how high the moon  26 tracks!:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UvXr2e9DwU ;  

Documentary part 2  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff1dmh1XA2w

Documentary part 4:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOFjfK4juRE

Documentary part 5 (of 5):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdAP7Bs6UZ0

Thanks Tumbled for finding that, great video's.

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #32 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 6:53am
Saw this today on our morning news. I wont say sad (the dude was old!) but i will say sadly missed. Just another icon that is no more. Without this guy - well, we got nothing!

Without doubt the single most important person in rock.

He even invented multi-channel recording!

The article on the morning news said he still played twice a week. At some little club i guess.

Didnt Keith thank him at the Stones 1989 induction???

RIP old boy. Thanks for everything. You affected every corner of the globe. Even in the remotest parts of this big blue Earth, where no one had heard of Elvis, Chuck, Beatles, MJ, Stones or Hank B. Marvin, your contribution was still there. What a cool thing to have on your resume as you enter the Pearly Gates. And from every single article i have ever read, what a nice, humble, polite and sweet man.

Well done.

Well done.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #33 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 7:00am
I think it was Leo Fender that Keith namechecked at the HOF induction, Corgi

... ... ...
IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #34 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 7:09am
RIP Les.

So who was literally first - Gibson, Leo Fender, or Adolph Rickenbacker, to commercially market a solid body electric guitar?  Besides, I thought the SG pre-dated the Les Paul.  Did Les design that one too?

edit:

While one of the first solid-body guitars was invented by Les Paul, the first commercially successful solid-body electric guitar was the Fender Esquire (1950). "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_guitar

Still confusing . . .
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2009 at 7:28am by Zack »  

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #35 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 2:21pm
Heart Of Stone wrote on Aug 14th, 2009 at 6:24am:

how high the moon  26 tracks!:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UvXr2e9DwU  

Thanks Tumbled for finding that, great video's.

my pleasure!

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #36 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 8:43am
RIP Les Paul

A true pioneer

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #37 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 9:15am
Sad

A Pioneer! 

Ole to Les Paul.

IP Logged

LanternHigh
Rocks Off Regular

Italy
Reply #38 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 9:38am

how high the moon  26 tracks!:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UvXr2e9DwU  

Ode to Les Paul.
A biggest loss this one. Very sad. Thanks Tumbleinsomebody for the awesome videos.

...&&...
https://www.facebook.com/  
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #39 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 4:36pm
No matter his age, I was deeply saddened to hear of his passing....Sad We would be nowhere without him! I'll be eternally grateful...

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Wild Bill
Rocks Off Regular

Peace, love y abrazos

East Ozarks
Reply #40 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 6:06pm

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
help me select Les Paul players 4 a radio program
Reply #41 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 9:57pm
I'm a guest for the Les Paul radio program next Friday, I'm gonna play "Les Paul & Friends: American Made World Played" and of course from this the quintet featuring Keith Richards, Buddy Guy, Les Paul, Rick Derringer and Hiram Bullock playing "Good Morning Little School Girl"

It will have music from the 40s to the 00s and rock with blues, jazz, oldies and progressive

I want to add some Les Paul axemen like Paul Kosssoff, also Steve Miller who learned from Les paul directly at the age of 5, probably Peter Frampton and Robert Fripp as they made creative things with a Les Paul

Please suggest one more: Your choice, or Jimmy Page, Peter Green, Pete Townshend, Santana, Steve Marriott... fuck... the list is huge Ronnie!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Re: help me select Les Paul players 4 a radio prog
Reply #42 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 10:06pm
may i suggest Mick Ronson

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #43 - Aug 19th, 2009 at 6:12am
stonedinaustralia wrote on Aug 18th, 2009 at 10:06pm:

Funny, that's what first came to mind for me too, also Slash, Mike Bloomfield, if I think of any more I'll add them.
1-Duane Allman.
2-Neil Young.
3-Bob Marley.
4-Peter Green.
5-Joe Perry.
6-Randy Rhoads.
7-Steve Jones.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2009 at 6:19am by Heart Of Stone »  

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity
Unholy Trinity Admin

ROCKS OFF RULES

Belfast/Santander/Mexico City
Reply #44 - Aug 19th, 2009 at 5:23pm
OOps!

The Administrators' account
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #45 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 12:02pm
Who could forget Billy Gibbons, Gibson Les Paul was his guitar.

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #46 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 12:34pm
Heart Of Stone wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 12:02pm:
Who could forget Billy Gibbons, Gibson Les Paul was his guitar.

Not me, I didn't forget him, he's going to be on the air tomorrow doing a duet with Les Paul, if you read my message I'm going to play "Les Paul & Friends: American Made" and Billy Gibbons is there

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Wild Bill
Rocks Off Regular

Peace, love y abrazos

East Ozarks
Reply #47 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 4:07pm
Heart Of Stone wrote on Aug 19th, 2009 at 6:12am:
stonedinaustralia wrote on Aug 18th, 2009 at 10:06pm:

Funny, that's what first came to mind for me too, also Slash, Mike Bloomfield, if I think of any more I'll add them.
1-Duane Allman.
2-Neil Young.
3-Bob Marley.
4-Peter Green.
5-Joe Perry.
6-Randy Rhoads.
7-Steve Jones.

Voodoo, por favor no toque Slash ni Jimmy Page.   Slash es un pendejo que no sabe tocar nada mas que un poco rock y Jimmy Page is too God damn over-played. 

Besides that, when I saw Les Paul in Chicago play with Slash, he absolutely kicked Slash's ass!   

Gracias.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #48 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 10:34pm
LOL no... I will play "Les Paul and Friends" and some more of Les Paul and a section of riffs, I'm going to close with "Vaya con Dios" and probably some more. In the Les Paul and Friends I will play Keith Richards, Buddy Guy, Rick Derringer, and Hiram Bullock playing a quintet with Les Paul: Good morning little schoolgirl! Probably Lisa Fischer with Les Paul too

TOMORROW Friday

•      Live Signal: http://ibero909.fm/index.php/envivo
•      Windows Media Player: http://ibero909.fm/index.php/envivowmp
•      Real Player: http://ibero909.fm/index.php/envivorealplayer
•      Instant Messenger: [email protected]
•      Time Schedule: 14:00 EST (USA)

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #49 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 10:58am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Aug 18th, 2009 at 9:57pm:
I'm a guest for the Les Paul radio program next Friday, I'm gonna play "Les Paul & Friends: American Made World Played" and of course from this the quintet featuring Keith Richards, Buddy Guy, Les Paul, Rick Derringer and Hiram Bullock playing "Good Morning Little School Girl"

It will have music from the 40s to the 00s and rock with blues, jazz, oldies and progressive

I want to add some Les Paul axemen like Paul Kosssoff, also Steve Miller who learned from Les paul directly at the age of 5, probably Peter Frampton and Robert Fripp as they made creative things with a Les Paul

Please suggest one more: Your choice, or Jimmy Page, Peter Green, Pete Townshend, Santana, Steve Marriott... fuck... the list is huge Ronnie!

Congratulations. I try and listen. The whole world is a fan!!!

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #50 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 9:48pm
The program was great!!

This is the link, download and play it LOUD...

This is the track list

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2009 at 10:29pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Les paul radio program uploaded!
Reply #51 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 10:28pm
Wild Bill wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 4:07pm:
Besides that, when I saw Les Paul in Chicago play with Slash, he absolutely kicked Slash's ass!    

I trust you!  Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint smoking more weed is good for your health

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2009 at 10:36pm by Unholy Trinity »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)