Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 / Pic © Jini Sachse (Sweet Virginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Charlie Watts coming to Crawley (Read 1,145 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Charlie Watts coming to Crawley
Jul 26th, 2009 at 6:18am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts coming to Crawley
Sunday, July 26, 2009, 08:00
crawley.co.uk

A MUSIC legend is coming to Crawley in September, it has been announced.

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts will be showcasing his passion for jazz for one night only at The Hawth.

Watts will be performing in The ABC of Boogie Woogie along with former concert pianist Axel Zwingenberger and Ben Waters, one of the world's leading boogie woogie piano players.

The drummer, 68, is best known for being part of The Rolling Stones, one of the most iconic rock groups of all time.

Four decades after they first hit the charts, The Stones are still touring, those Watts also finds time to pursue his great passion for jazz music, with various other projects.

Crawley is getting something of a reputation for hosting rock legends.

Last year, crowds at K2 were wowed by a gig from Paul Weller.

One of Crawley's most famous former residents is The Cure frontman, Robert Smith.

The ABC of Boogie Woogie comes to The Hawth on Thursday September 3, from 8pm.

Tickets priced £19.50 (discounts £18) are available from the box office on 01293 553636 or you can book online at www.hawth.co

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Charlie Watts coming to Crawley
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 6:21am
Where's Crawley?

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 6:25am
It is a town in the County of West Sussex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawley

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 6:55am
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Jul 26th, 2009 at 6:25am:
It is a town in the County of West Sussex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawley

OK. Thanks.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 9:23am
Yeah well thats too far for me to travel, but I really hope Honky Tonk Man and Stewed & Keefed and the other British RO posters go to the gig and take some pics to post and write a report! Come on guys, we need some Stones-connection excitement! One night only! Charlie is practicing for the next RS tour!  

War horses couldn't drag me away

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 9:31am
Bitch wrote on Jul 26th, 2009 at 9:23am:
Yeah well thats too far for me to travel, but I really hope Honky Tonk Man and Stewed & Keefed and the other British RO posters go to the gig and take some pics to post and write a report! Come on guys, we need some Stones-connection excitement! One night only! Charlie is practicing for the next RS tour!  

War horses couldn't drag me away

My dearest Bitch,

I had the pleasure of seeing our Charlie live in action at the 100 Club only a short while ago.

If you had any idea how tiresome the jazz and boogie-woogie I sat through was, you would understand that I really have done my bit for the Rock Off Crew!

The man is an absolute legend and it was a pleasure to see him so close up, but dear-oh-dear, the music: Arghhh!   War horses couldn't drag me away

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 9:53am
HTM I know what you mean, I've been to every Tim Reis gig possible. You get used to it after a while, but jazz is NOT my music of choice either. You should still go just to be a part of it! Hang out and try to get an autograph (Bring something for him to sign) then while he's signing, ask a question about a Stones tour ~ hey it's worth a try! Investigative reporting ~ or you can ask if Charlie has any other jazz gigs planned, so if he says yes you ask when and then we can know the Stones wont be touring during that time period!

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 1:36pm
Bitch wrote on Jul 26th, 2009 at 9:53am:
HTM I know what you mean, I've been to every Tim Reis gig possible.

may i ask why?  Shit!
courage beyond the call of duty.  you made a grown man cry

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 1:44pm
i am not much for jazz myself, but it is good to hear charlie watts is out and about playing.  as they say....good on him.

piss off

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 3:32pm
Charlie's primary love is jazz. Only makes sense that he plays as much as he can...Smiley

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 12:43am
It was more than clear that Charlie was in his absolute element amongst his fellow jazz musicians. It is fairly obvious that his heart lies with this kind of music, and it really does make you wonder how an earth he sits through some of the Stones stuff.

Is ‘You Got Me Rocking’ a Charlie Watts song???

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 1:30am
I think Charlie wanted to do "You Got Me Jazzin'"

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 11:34am
stonedinaustralia wrote on Jul 27th, 2009 at 1:30am:
I think Charlie wanted to do "You Got Me Jazzin'"

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 6:54pm
HTM,

I share your views on jazz.  Let's go get drunk

FG!

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 6:09pm
well  HTM & FG - there is jazz and there is jazz - it's not all bad - I agree a lot of it doesn't do much for me either - but this record is a real heavy weight which (if you'll pardon the mixed metaphors) pays big dividends on repeated listenings

and HTM while you have been a bit dismissive of charlie's gigs  i think in times to come you maybe very glad you took the opportunity to see it - musical tastes change over time and stuff you once loved you wonder why you bothered with and  other music that you dismissed as rubbish you one day "get "

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #15 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 7:20pm
I go to the Tim Reis shows to get a different twist on the RS songs and am developing appreciation for the versatility of jazz. Plus Tim always adds some exotic singers and dancers I may never have known about, so it's mind expanding. I've gotten to know Tim, Bernard, Blondie & Lisa in the hopes that someday at a RS gig they will wave me in to meet the big boys! Wishful thinking ~ hell yeah ~ but it doesnt hurt for them to recognize me in the front rows cheering them on. I think they appreciate the fans who come to all the shows!

HTM ~ you are young but Charlie is not so young, so your number of opportnuities to see him are limited. Get it while you can, as Janis sang! You will aprreciate it later on in life that you saw him in the later years of his career since you werent around in the early years!

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #16 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 6:38am
Jazzing up the Stones

July 28,2009
By Sarah Rodman
Boston Globe

Saxophonist Tim Ries has recorded with some serious jazz cats including Bob Belden and Maynard Ferguson. But he’s played to his biggest audiences as a member of the Rolling Stones’ touring band. Inspired by his bosses he released “The Rolling Stones Project’’ in 2005. On the most recent tour he corralled friends at virtually every stop to record “Stones World/The Rolling Stones Project II.’’ On the two-disc set he takes the Jagger-Richards catalog for a mesmerizing and expansive spin around the globe with musical stops that include South America, Africa, and the Middle East. Assists come from guests like Milton Nascimento, John Patitucci, Jack DeJohnette, and all of the Rolling Stones. We chatted with Ries, who plays the Regattabar Friday night, by phone from New Jersey.

At the Regattabar on Friday at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $22 at 617-395-7757 and www.regattabarjazz.com

Q.Keith Richards said lovely things about the first record. Do he and Mick Jagger ever question the arrangements in the studio, or are they hands off?

A. Pretty much. Even though they wrote the tunes, they weren’t like, this is sacred ground here. They were totally cool with going wherever I wanted to go. Keith came in and plugged in and sat there for three hours; he was like a session guitarist. One 10-minute break, that’s it. Other than that he was just playing and saying, “Let’s try another take.’’ It was just very open.

Q.Has anyone ever told you that they came into a show a Stones fan but left more interested in jazz?

A. Honestly, that’s one of the biggest reasons I did this. These gigs we did in Europe on the last tour you’d look out and there would be people with Stones T-shirts on that clearly are people who would not normally come to a jazz gig, but they come to this because, yes, their curiosity is piqued. They’re not necessarily my fans first, but they’re really interested in the music. I’m hoping this will open up a new fan base for people who would never really check out jazz.

Q.So what’s the biggest difference between touring with the Stones and touring solo?

A. Well, I’m not on a private jet, it may or may not be a five-star hotel, and the pay scale’s maybe a little lower. (Laughs). It’s definitely different, but I love them both.  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)