Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 / Pic © Jini Sachse (Sweet Virginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pix of Hollywood Bowl (1966) - 43 years after! (Read 2,499 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Pix of Hollywood Bowl (1966) - 43 years after!
Jul 24th, 2009 at 11:36pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
PHOTOGRAPHER SUE MICHELSON RELEASES UNIQUE PORTFOLIO OF UNRELEASED CLASSIC 1966 ROLLING STONES CONCERT PHOTOGRAPHS

Images from July 25th, 1966 Hollywood Bowl Live Show Now Available For Online Viewing and Select Sales

BURBANK, Calif. – July 20, 2009 – Classic photographs of the Rolling Stones -- images that have never before been seen or published -- will become available to the public for the first time on Saturday, July 25th, 2009, when Studio City, California-based photographer Sue Michelson formally launches her Soul Gallery web site at http://www.rollingstones1966photos.com to coincide with the forty-third anniversary of the legendary Hollywood concert at which they were taken. Interestingly, the following day, Sunday, July 26th, will be Sir Michael Jagger’s 66th birthday.

The collection of black & white and color photographs was selected from Michelson’s personal archives, culled from a storied career which included stints as the staff photographer for the nationally syndicated radio show Rockline, as well as the Rock ’n’ Roll Tonight television series that was filmed at Hollywood’s famed Palace [now Avalon], while she worked for KLOS-FM.

Michelson’s work has been published in Billboard, Radio & Records, The KLOS-FM Concert Guide, and other print outlets over the decades.

These unique and inspiring Hollywood Bowl images were captured at a legendary concert that featured the Rolling Stones along with the McCoys, Buffalo Springfield, and the Standells.  The initial exhibit and offering at the Soul Gallery site will combine these long-hidden Rolling Stones photographs from that summer evening in 1966 with equally unknown black & white pictures of Buffalo Springfield and the Standells, taken on the same evening in the same venue.

Concert Stats and Rare Guitars

Sue Michelson’s photos document the Rolling Stones’ performance at a KHJ radio-sponsored Hollywood Bowl concert that included appearances by the station’s promotional mascot, The Big Kahuna.

The Rolling Stones’ sixth (non-compilation) U.S. album, Aftermath, released earlier in 1966, had been produced by Andrew Loog Oldham and engineered by Dave Hassinger at RCA recording studios on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood, just a couple of miles from the Bowl. Aftermath was the first Rolling Stones album on which all songs were written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.    

The set list from the Stones’ performance at the famed Hollywood Bowl concert was as follows:
  •  Not Fade Away
  • The Last Time
  • Paint It Black
  • Lady Jane
  • Mother’s Little Helper
  • Get Off of My Cloud
  • 19th Nervous Breakdown
  • (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction  
Sue Michelson’s photos of the Rolling Stones in Hollywood include shots of Brian Jones playing the dulcimer on “Lady Jane,” and onstage close-ups of Mick Jagger during the performance.  

These images from the Bowl also show Keith Richards backstage, holding a rare 1950s-era Gibson Les Paul “Gold Top” guitar with the PAF (Patent Applied For) pickups. This was the guitar Keith used on Aftermath, and on the Rolling Stones’ next album, Between the Buttons.

A mere six weeks after the Hollywood Bowl gig, Keith can be seen playing the same Les Paul guitar on the Ed Sullivan television show during the song, "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?” and he later played it throughout the subsequent album, Their Satanic Majesties Request, as well.

Michelson’s glimpses of Keith and this specific Gibson guitar are very rare, owing to the fact that Richards then switched to a black custom Les Paul for the Beggars Banquet album and used that guitar on the Rolling Stones’ 1969 and 1970 European tours.

None of these photographs have ever been shown or reprinted before. Sue Michelson is offering limited, numbered, silver-gelatin prints of these images for sale, either individually or as a suite, in print sizes 12 x 16, 16 x 20, or 20 x 24 (all in inches). Web previews are located on the Gallery page of the web site, at www.rollingstones1966photos.com.

Interested parties may contact Sue Michelson directly for inquiries, prices and terms of sale, either by phone at (818) 377-4561, or by emailing her at [email protected].

For any additional information about Sue Michelson and the Soul Gallery website, please send us an email at [email protected], or contact our office at the KubRo Group number shown below.

#  #  #
David Carr Music & Media /
The KubRo Group
105  S. Sparks St.
Burbank, CA  91506
[email protected]
[email protected]
(818) 840-9145 direct
(818) 632-6463 cell
(888) 324-1634 (fax)
www.davidcarrmusic.com
www.myspace.com/davidcarrmusic
www.twitter.com/davidcarrmusic
www.facebook.com/davidcarrmusic
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2009 at 2:25pm by Unholy Trinity »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Re: Pix of Hollywood Bowl 43 years after!
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2009 at 11:47pm
WOW!  Grin As a Brian fan {especially}, there are some WONDERFUL gems in that slide show!! I would love to save those images on my computer, but can't figure out if it's possible or not. If anyone could re-produce them here.... Wink Smiley Kiss

Thanks Voo! Grin Cool

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

zooeyglass
Rocks Off Regular

Seeker of truth and, regrettably,
finder of truth

USA
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2009 at 2:22am
Thanks, Voodoo  Smiley

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2009 at 6:40am
What a flashback! these are headers I like, Buffalo Springfield, Standells & McCoys also on bill, those were the fantastic 60's, Thanks Voodoo for this.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2009 at 6:54am by Heart Of Stone »  

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2009 at 8:53am
Nice find Voodoo! Brian looks cool in his Ganster suit!

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2009 at 11:52am
it is always refreshing to see oldie b and w photos i have never seen before.  thanks for the photos voodoo or sue michelson rather

:funny

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2009 at 12:18pm
It really IS amazing....we've all seen hundreds and hundreds--maybe thousands of pix from the 60's. Hard to believe there are any left to discover! But....ahhhh, what a find when they DO turn up.  Smiley Cool Wow!

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

detroitken
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

royal oak,mich.usa
Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2009 at 2:25pm
Great pic's.....Thanx for posting....I wonder how much the book is ???

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Re: Pix of Hollywood Bowl (1966) - 43 years after!
Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2009 at 3:50pm
One line that's a error:Keith can be seen playing the same Les Paul guitar on the Ed Sullivan television show during the song, "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?”
Keith played piano during that song, but he did play it on "Paint It Black"

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 3:04am
Keith used his Gibson les paul custom on that particular ed sullivan show when they mimed Paint It Black.

Going by the available pics and footage, I don't recall much if any signs of the goldtop being used during Btb's or TSMR.

I think the first pic is from mid 66, not sure about the 2nd one, seems more late aftermath era!? Both RCA Studio sessions anyway.

The les paul custom seems to have been his favourite guitar from September 1966 till circa 1971 seeing a lot of use on Btb's and TSMR as well as Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed.

Btb's

TSMR

Back to the Hollywood Bowl!

These two are from the same gig, are they by the same photographer?

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2009 at 3:06am by Philip »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 5:52am
Love the look on Keith's face here. I wonder if they were talking about changing the song to Sullivan's liking?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Reply #11 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 6:36am
''Hey guys, can you change it to Paint it, Hey?'' 

Huh

IP Logged

StPeteStone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Madeira Beach, Florida
Reply #12 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 7:36am
Technically I could have gone to that historic show because I was living in LA at the time, but I was in the hospital due to being born the day prior.  I think my parents dropped the ball on that one. Dude is old.

Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if ma money's no good. Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest, But they should never have taken the very best.
&&...&&...&&...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)