Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roadkill Burgers Banned in Newfoundland (Read 289 times)
Wild Bill
Rocks Off Regular

Peace, love y abrazos

East Ozarks
Roadkill Burgers Banned in Newfoundland
Jul 2nd, 2009 at 6:17pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Roadkill burgers banned in Newfoundland

Posted on July 2, 2009 by Doug Powell

"I've been involved in getting moose for over 30 years from wildlife, and I have never
heard of
anyone ever getting sick from eating a moose burger."

So says Dave Barker, who works for the Knights of Columbus in Grand Falls-Windsor,
Newfoundland.

I hear similar sentiments all the time. It’s completely meaningless.

If someone got sick from a past practice, they would probably not accurately link it to a
specific food; if they died, they wouldn’t be around to complain.

But perhaps the bureaucrats in the Canadian province of Newfoundland have gone a bit
too …  bureaucratic.

The provincial government recently discontinued the donation of roadkill moose meat,
and charity groups say the decision strips them of a vital source of fundraising.

For decades, wildlife officers have offered charities moose killed in road collisions. The
charities had butchers mince the meat into burgers, a very popular treat in the province,
and held community barbecues and other events to raise money for their various causes.

"It depends on how much moose is actually destroyed in the accident, but normally you
get at least two moose burger sales out of one moose, so you're looking at anywhere
from $2,500 to $3,000," said Shane Budgell, president of the Lions Club in Grand Falls-Windsor.

The government's decision comes after the province's auditor general flagged problems
earlier this year about the department's donations of wild game meat.

"The department did not always track where all of the meat from a particular animal was
sent," John Noseworthy wrote in his annual report.

After a review, the government decided to stop donating roadkill moose meat, saying the
practice would expose them to liability if any health or safety risks arose.

Moose are ruminants, and there have been outbreaks of E. coli O157:H7 associated with
moose meat (it’s not just corn-fed feedlot cattle; I'm talking to you, Michael Pollan and
Food Inc.).

But rather than ban the use of roadkill, why not have better training for butchers and
food service types and teach them how to not cross-contaminate and use tip-sensitive
thermometers to ensure the meat is prepared safely?

http://barfblog.foodsafety.ksu.edu/
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2009 at 6:19pm by Wild Bill »  

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Re: Roadkill Burgers Banned in Newfoundland
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 6:45pm
i tell you what people.  i would much rather eat a fresh road killed moose than a big mac or whopper anyday.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 8:01pm

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 9:25pm
In This Economy, people will eat when they can...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)