Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia, PA - June 11, 2024 © Jini Sachse (SweetVirginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Beggars Banquet, song by song discussion thread (Read 4,393 times)
Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Re: Beggars Banquet, song by song discussion threa
Reply #50 - Jul 5th, 2009 at 11:01am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

"Jigsaw Puzzle," sometimes spelled "Jig-Saw Puzzle" is a song by rock and roll band the Rolling Stones found on their 1968 album Beggars Banquet.
Written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, "Jigsaw Puzzle" is one of the longer songs on the album. It comes in just ten seconds shorter than "Sympathy for the Devil" to which it is stylistically similar.
Recording began at Olympic Sound Studios on March 25, 1968. Parts of the recording sessions are available on the bootleg market, and on these recordings Mick Jagger is on acoustic guitar, Keith Richards on electric slide guitar, Charlie Watts on drums, Bill Wyman on bass and Nicky Hopkins on piano. Brian Jones is not present on these sessions. The released version has Richards on overdubbed acoustic guitar, and Brian Jones added the distinctive "whine" at the end of the song with the mellotron. "Jigsaw Puzzle" has never been performed live by the Rolling Stones.

Musical opinions have diverged widely on the merits of "Jigsaw Puzzle". Music journalist Steve Knopper quoted on Amazon considers it inexplicable that it never became a hit in its own right. However, journalist Richie Unterberger describes it unenthusiastically as a mere "album filler".
Unterberger draws comparisons to the mid-to-late 1960s work of Bob Dylan saying "...the similarity to some of Dylan's long, wordy surreal songs of the mid-'60s is close enough that it's a little surprising 'Jigsaw Puzzle' hasn't been singled out by more listeners as being a Dylan imitation, particularly since it frankly sounds a little hackneyed in its approximation of Dylanesque weirdness." The lyrics depict the observations of the singer who finds himself surrounded by "misfits and weirdos";
“      There's a tramp sittin' on my doorstep, Tryin' to waste his time; With his methylated sandwich, He's a walking clothesline; And here comes the bishop's daughter, On the other side; She looks a trifle jealous, She's been an outcast all her life      ”
“      Me, I'm waiting so patiently, Lying on the floor; I'm just trying to do my jig-saw puzzle, Before it rains anymore      ”
Of the song, Unterberger concludes, " Like many of the tracks on that album, it drew on country blues for musical inspiration... The lyrics, however, are not the sort that would be heard on actual rural Delta blues records... More of a drawback to the song, however, is its lack of melodic development, just keeping on the same basic monotonous stock blues tune for a good six minutes or so. For album filler such as this, some other creative touches were needed to make it stand out more."

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #51 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 6:33am
okay, you should be over your holiday beer and food comas. let's keep this thread going....

IP Logged

HardKnoxDurtySox
I'm new!!

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #52 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 7:18pm
Pdog wrote on Jul 4th, 2009 at 6:35am:
...for many, i think this would be a least liked track or one you didn't like right away...

I used to feel this way but it has grown on me through the years.  As simple as it is, I think this has one of my favorite Stones bass lines ever.

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #53 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 7:47pm
for me jig saw puzzle is a bit of a curiosity - very long with lots of words - as the article you quote suggests it is mick having a stab at Dylan a la Memphis Blues Again - but while Bob's nether-world is full of overt and covert violence - its all punched cigarettes , burning eyelids, strangled minds, texas medicine and fires on main street the most violent mick's world gets is grandmas waving hankies -  in contrast to Bob's Mick's version of a night mare world is one of boredom... the atmosphere is all longueur and ennui -like Prufrock measuring out his life in coffee spoons Mick's is measured by the pieces of his puzzle that he puts together

again - as has been noted with No Expectations - it is about one of the stones perennial topics:time - its passing (me, I'm waiting so patiently...) and the distance it can put between us

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #54 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 4:24pm
"Street Fighting Man" is a song by English rock and roll band the Rolling Stones featured on their 1968 album Beggars Banquet. Called the Stones' "most political song", Rolling Stone ranked the song #295 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
Inspiration

Originally titled and recorded as "Did Everyone Pay Their Dues?", containing the same music but very different lyrics, "Street Fighting Man" is known as one of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards' most politically inclined works to date. Jagger allegedly wrote it about Tariq Ali after Jagger attended a March 1968 anti-war rally at London's U.S. embassy, during which mounted police attempted to control a crowd of 25,000. He also found inspiration in the rising violence among student rioters on Paris's Left Bank, the precursor to May 1968.
On the writing, Jagger said in a 1995 interview with Jann Wenner in Rolling Stone,
"Yeah, it was a direct inspiration, because by contrast, London was very quiet...It was a very strange time in France. But not only in France but also in America, because of the Vietnam War and these endless disruptions. ...I thought it was a very good thing at the time. There was all this violence going on. I mean, they almost toppled the government in France; DeGaulle went into this complete funk, as he had in the past, and he went and sort of locked himself in his house in the country. And so the government was almost inactive. And the French riot police were amazing."
The song opens with a strummed acoustic riff. In his review, Richie Unterberger says of the song, "...it's a great track, gripping the listener immediately with its sudden, springy guitar chords and thundering, offbeat drums. That unsettling, urgent guitar rhythm is the mainstay of the verses. Mick Jagger's typically half-buried lyrics seem at casual listening like a call to revolution."
“      Everywhere I hear the sound of marching, charging feet, boy,
'Cause summer's here and the time is right for fighting in the street, boy      ”
“      Hey, said my name is called Disturbance;
I'll shout and scream, I'll kill the King, I'll rail at all his servants      ”
“      Well now what can a poor boy do, Except to sing for a rock & roll band?
Cause in sleepy London Town there's just no place for a street fighting man, no      ”
Unterberger continues, "Perhaps they were saying they wished they could be on the front lines, but were not in the right place at the right time; perhaps they were saying, as John Lennon did in the Beatles' "Revolution," that they didn't want to be involved in violent confrontation. Or perhaps they were even declaring indifference to the tumult." Other writers' interpretations varied. In 1976, Roy Carr assessed it as a "great summer street-corner rock anthem on the same echelon as 'Summer in the City', 'Summertime Blues', and 'Dancing in the Street'." In 1979, Dave Marsh wrote that it was the keynote of Beggar's Banquet, "with its teasing admonition to do something and its refusal to admit that doing it will make any difference; as usual, the Stones were more correct, if also more faithless, philosophers than any of their peers."
Recording

Recording on "Street Fighting Man" began at Olympic Sound Studios in March of 1968 and continued into May and June later that year. With Jagger on lead vocals and both he and Richards on backing, Brian Jones performs the song's distincitve sitar and also tamboura. Richards plays the song's acoustic guitars as well as bass, the latter being the only electric instrument on the track. Charlie Watts performs drums while Nicky Hopkins performs the song's piano which is most distinctly heard during the outro. Shehani is performed on the track by Dave Mason. On the earlier, unreleased "Did Everybody Pay Their Dues" version, Rick Grech played a very prominent electric viola.
Watts said in 2003,
"'Street Fighting Man' was recorded on Keith's cassette with a 1930s toy drum kit called a London Jazz Kit Set, which I bought in an antiques shop, and which I've still got at home. It came in a little suitcase, and there were wire brackets you put the drums in; they were like small tambourines with no jangles... The snare drum was fantastic because it had a really thin skin with a snare right underneath, but only two strands of gut... Keith loved playing with the early cassette machines because they would overload, and when they overload they sounded fantastic, although you weren't meant to do that. We usually played in one of the bedrooms on tour. Keith would be sitting on a cushion playing a guitar and the tiny kit was a way of getting close to him. The drums were really loud compared to the acoustic guitar and the pitch of them would go right through the sound. You'd always have a great backbeat."
On the recording process itself, Richards remembered,
"The basic track of that was done on a mono cassette with very distorted overrecording, on a Phillips with no limiters. Brian is playing sitar, it twangs away. He's holding notes that wouldn't come through if you had a board, you wouldn't be able to fit it in. But on a cassette if you just move the people, it does. Cut in the studio and then put on a tape. Started putting percussion and bass on it. That was really an electronic track, up in the realms."
Bruce Springsteen would comment in 1985, after including "Street Fighting Man" in the encores of some of his Born in the U.S.A. Tour shows: "That one line, 'What can a poor boy do but sing in a rock and roll band?' is one of the greatest rock and roll lines of all time. ... [The song] has that edge-of-the-cliff thing when you hit it. And it's funny; it's got humor to it."
Jagger continues in the Rolling Stone interview when asked about the song's resonance thirty years on; "I don't know if it [has any]. I don't know whether we should really play it. I was persuaded to put it [on Voodoo Lounge Tour] because it seemed to fit in, but I'm not sure if it really has any resonance for the present day. I don't really like it that much." Despite this, the song has been performed on a majority of the Stones' tours since its introduction to their canon of work.[8]
On the song, Richards said, only a few years after recording the track in a famous 1971 Rolling Stone interview with Robert Greenfield, that the song had been "interpreted thousands of different ways". He mentioned how Jagger went to the Grosvenor Square demonstrations in London and was even charged by the police, yet he ultimately claims, "it really is ambiguous as a song."
Release

Released as Beggars Banquet's lead single on August 31, 1968, "Street Fighting Man" was popular on release but was kept out of the Top 40 (reaching number 48) of the U.S. charts in response to many radio stations refusal to play the song based on what were perceived as subversive lyrics. This attitude would be enforced as the song was released within a week of the riots at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago. The B-side was album-mate "No Expectations". "Street Fighting Man" would not be released in the United Kingdom until 1970.
It has been included on the compilations albums Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2), Hot Rocks 1964-1971, Singles Collection: The London Years (in its 45 RPM single mix, in mono with an additional vocal overdub on the chorus) and Forty Licks. A staple at Stones live shows since the band's American Tour of 1969, concert recordings of the song have been captured and released for the live albums Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!, Stripped, and Live Licks.

Legacy

"Street Fighting Man" has been covered by many artists. Rod Stewart covered it on the debut solo album An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down. Oasis recorded a version that was released as the B-side to their 1998 single "All Around the World". The song can be found on the fourth and last studio album by Rage Against the Machine entitled Renegades. It appears on Mötley Crüe's Red, White and Crüe album as well as the Ramones' 2002 re-release of Too Tough to Die. The band Prima Donna performed a live cover early in their career. The band Tesla also covered this song on their cover's album Real to Reel which can be found on the rare disk 2 track number 5. (You needed to attend a concert during the Reel to Reel tour to obtain this disk.)
Guitarist Pete Townshend of the Who has claimed that the staccato beat/rhythm structure of "Street Fighting Man" is the inspiration for "I'm Free" on Tommy. From a musical perspective it is interesting that it is produced entirely on acoustic instruments apart from the electric bass.
In 2009, the Australian rock band Sick Puppies used the first 15 seconds of Rage Against The Machine's version for their single "Street Fighter (War)".
Radio Personalities Opie and Anthony use Rage Against the Machine's version as part of the opening theme for their show.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #55 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 4:27pm
maybe the rock song to use only acoustics and still really rock the fuck out!!! love the imagery and biting attack on politicians and govt.
i really love that even all the millions of dollars, adoring fans and old age, The Stones still got some angst in them, even it was to rael against Bush... bbut SFM... that's the shit!!!

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #56 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 8:41am
Jesus Christ wrote on Jul 4th, 2009 at 11:13am:
It's worth mentioning that Beggar's Banquet owes a lot to Keith's first big return to the woodshed, guitar-wise.  
On the 1966 American tour Keith went on a record-buying spree, sending dozens of rare blues and country albums
home to England where he could study them at length and absorb them as he once had Chuck Berry and Muddy
Waters records. At the same time, he began experimenting with the open tunings those records were built around.  
Although he hadn't yet arrived (via Ry Cooder) at the classic open G, much of Beggar's Banquet uses open D and
open E tunings, which give the songs a different feel at the very foundation.  Trying to play any of these songs in
straight "concert" tuning results in a lot of head scratching - "how the HELL do they get that sound?" - and in those
pre-internet days, very few people were in on the secret.

That's exactly right — and it reminds me why I think the idea that Keith ripped off Cooder is wildy overstated. Was he inspired? Sure. But the germ of Keith's style was present here on BB, and even earlier on "19th Nervous Breakdown." Not to knock his genius, but there's a reason Ry Cooder didn't write "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" or "All Down the Line" or "Happy," etc.: Because he is not Keith Richards.

Hell, Mick's own extensions of Keith ("Brown Sugar," "Sway") are classics, too.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #57 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 10:21am
We’re going to travel back in time today … all the way back to 1968 and the release of the album “Beggars Banquet” by The Rolling Stones.

Why? To understand a little bit more about sales and marketing. You see, when something like a song becomes a classic, there’s a very good reason why. It’s because it strikes a chord with us. It tells a story. Imparts great knowledge.

It contains ideas that fit neatly into the collective consciousness.

Finding Success in Success

The formula goes like this: It takes a certain mindset to be successful (and The Rolling Stones have been very successful). And so, anything that comes out of a successful person’s mind has the great potential to create more success.

Knowing that, I’m going to take the first four lines of the song “Sympathy for the Devil”, and apply them to sales and marketing …

1. Please allow me to introduce myself

Okay, pretty straight forward. If you don’t network, if you don’t get out there and knock on doors, you can’t make any sales. Sitting and waiting for customers to magically appear just doesn’t work. You have to go out, introduce yourself, and create the opportunities for others to buy from you.

2. I’m a man of wealth and taste

And when you’re introducing yourself, you want to put your best foot forward. The old “pity pitch” never built a million dollar business. People want to be associated with success and they want to do business with other successful people … sort of like “birds of a feather, flock together”.

3. I’ve been around for a long, long year

When you’re marketing yourself, your products, your services; you need to have answers. Potential customers will have questions. It’s your experience, your preparation, and your creativity that’s going to get you through smoothly. Trying to make a pitch and getting bombarded with questions you can’t answer can quickly turn into a sweating session that makes you look like you just got water-boarded.

4. Stole many a man’s soul and faith

Knowing your competition and what they have to offer is essential. Because, you’re basically competing with them and everything your customer knows about them. You’re competing against another brand, another deal, pricing, extras … and your job is to find the sticking points that bring the customer closer to you, and the deal-breakers that move them further away from your competition.

So there you have it. You can find successful strategies in many instances of success. The more examples you find in the world, the more overlapping patterns you’ll find that just always seem to hold true.

And just for the record. No, I’ve never been to St. Petersberg.

IP Logged

StPeteStone
Rocks Off Regular

Madeira Beach, Florida
Reply #58 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 11:27am
Some Guy wrote on Jul 9th, 2009 at 10:21am:

You should come on down!! The beaches are awesome, we have a good baseball team and best of all your good friend Tampy lives here.

Oh yeah, awsome album!

Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if ma money's no good. Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest, But they should never have taken the very best.
&&...&&...&&...

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #59 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 11:57am
Hey guys, I just spoke with THE 'SCUE... he said for you to take your time with this thread.... he's keeping himself busy with your wives at his suite in Vegas.

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #60 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 12:17pm
Saint Sway wrote on Jul 9th, 2009 at 11:57am:
Hey guys, I just spoke with THE 'SCUE... he said for you to take your time with this thread.... he's keeping himself busy with your wives at his suite in Vegas.

lemme break it down Cohl style- If the other Stones albums are unsold seats, Emotional Rescue is the tarp.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #61 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 12:17pm
StPeteStone wrote on Jul 9th, 2009 at 11:27am:
Some Guy wrote on Jul 9th, 2009 at 10:21am:

You should come on down!! The beaches are awesome, we have a good baseball team and best of all your good friend Tampy lives here.

Oh yeah, awsome album!

I'm afraid of sharks.

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #62 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 12:29pm
Pdog wrote on Jul 8th, 2009 at 4:24pm:

Anytime I see this one I remember how expensive it is, according to Jerry Osborne's Guide this picture sleeve in good condition is $12,000 USD!! Apparently there's less than 10 now, when this was recovered from the stores only 12 copies were sold... Even as a millionaire I wouldn't pay that much for it, in fact the 7" record inside is the same that was released later.

back to topic, is a good song but I don't like it live nowadays

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #63 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 12:53pm
when I was in college I worked part time in a factory. the friend of a co-worker played a superb Dr. Doctor.

I can proudly say that (until that point) I was the only person who had ever known the lyrics to sing along with.

I hope my singing didn't discourage him from future public performances...

Shit!

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #64 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 2:20pm
Some Guy wrote on Jul 9th, 2009 at 12:17pm:
Saint Sway wrote on Jul 9th, 2009 at 11:57am:

lemme break it down Cohl style- If the other Stones albums are unsold seats, Emotional Rescue is the tarp.

^ You're that kid that dunked on Lebron at Basketball Camp, aint ya?

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #65 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 7:13am
Prodigal Son:

This song was written by Robert Wilkins, a reverend who recorded Delta Blues in the 1920s and 1930s. Keith Richards enjoyed Blues music and discovered the work of Wilkins in the '60s, which is how The Stones came across this song. (thanks, Bertrand - Paris, France)
The Prodigal Son is a story told in The Bible about a father who has 2 sons. The younger son asks for his inheritance early, and goes off to spend the money on hedonistic pursuits. After wasting all the money, he comes home repentant, and the father welcomes him with a feast in his honor. This doesn't go over well with the older son, who feels that he should be rewarded for good behavior, but the father stresses the value of forgiveness.
Robert Wilkins' original version was titled "That's No Way To Get Along." The Stones gave their version the title "Prodigal Son."
In 1928 Wilkins wrote another song called "Rollin' Stone."
This is the only cover song on Beggar's Banquet. The Rolling Stones wanted to be a Blues band when they started out, but they became more Pop-oriented soon after they formed.

Well a poor boy took his father's bread and started down the road
Started down the road
Took all he had and started down the road
Going out in this world, where God only knows
And that'll be the way to get along

Well poor boy spent all he had, famine come in the land
Famine come in the land
Spent all he had and famine come in the land
Said, "I believe I'll go and hire me to some man"
And that'll be the way I'll get along

Well, man said, "I'll give you a job for to feed my swine
For to feed my swine
I'll give you a job for to feed my swine"
Boy stood there and hung his head and cried
`Cause that is no way to get along

Said, "I believe I'll ride, believe I'll go back home
Believe I'll go back home
Believe I'll ride, believe I'll go back home
Or down the road as far as I can go"
And that'll be the way to get along

Well, father said, "See my son coming after me
Coming home to me"
Father ran and fell down on his knees
Said, "Sing and praise, Lord have mercy on me"
Mercy

Oh poor boy stood there, hung his head and cried
Hung his head and cried
Poor boy stood and hung his head and cried
Said, "Father will you look on me as a child?"
Yeah

Well father said, "Eldest son, kill the fatted calf,
Call the family round
Kill that calf and call the family round
My son was lost but now he is found
'Cause that's the way for us to get along"
Hey

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #66 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 3:54pm
Bueller!

Bueller!!

Bueller!!!

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #67 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 3:58pm
Pdog wrote on Jul 13th, 2009 at 3:54pm:
Bueller!

Bueller!!

Bueller!!!

you're gonna get it straight from the shoulder
can't you see the party's over?

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #68 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 6:00pm
This is a great album And you know I can'T get a handle on it. Blues, Rock, Soul, and Great Country Music. Thank you Pdog for a great reminder.
can't  commit oN each, song or add anything that's not been said already. I will say that I realize now  HOW much I love the People that are THE "Salt Of the Earth".
THIS IS WHAT THE SITE IS ABOUT NOW IS'NT IT.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2009 at 6:01pm by Kilroy »  

DSCN2522_001.JPG (Attachment deleted)

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)