Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia, PA - June 11, 2024 © Jini Sachse (SweetVirginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Beggars Banquet, song by song discussion thread (Read 4,380 times)
Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Re: Beggars Banquet, song by song discussion threa
Reply #25 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 4:55pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Zack wrote on Jun 30th, 2009 at 4:48pm:
Love the song.  

Perhaps the most genuine Delta blues the Stones ever pulled off.  The tone of Keith's guitar and his touch playing is spine-tingling.  Jagger's opening homage to Robert Johnson is just enough to set the tone for the songs, and later he hits the ball out of the park lyrically with the "never in my sweet, short life . . ." bit.  

People may jump all over me, but I think Brian's solo is nice, but nothing all that special musically (this from the world's third-worst musician!).  What was really special is that they could have one last successful recording session with Brian as a functioning member of the band making a meaningful contribution, which the song obviously represents.  Something his fans can point to.

One of my good friends used the opening couplet as his senior quote in his high school yearbook.  Cheeky bastard.

I have to plus one that Zack... it is an amazing solo Brian plays, and maybe his Stones swan song... everything about this song is simple, to the point, and yet so powerful in that simplicity. It's a song about having nothing, yet somehow even with its blues drenched hoplessness, it still amkes me happy... it might be that guitar tone you mentioned... something in it, that reaches inside me.

IP Logged

Boomy
Rocks Off Regular

Indiana
Reply #26 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 5:31pm
"No Expectations"--simply beautiful.

"Beggars Banquet" is the shit. I give this one copious spins!!

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #27 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 6:26pm
You know, I just watched the Rock and Roll Circus again last night.   (The wife and kids are away.)  Despite what I just posted, Brian's solo there is somehow heartbreaking.  A metaphor for his tragedy in 22 seconds.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #28 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 6:45pm
A superb song. Sublime. Melancholic. Brian's solo is so beautiful and effective. And, no matter what condition he was in during the R&R Circus, his solo there was spot on as well.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Reply #29 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 9:53am
Pdog wrote on Jun 30th, 2009 at 4:45pm:
I like the mono version on the singles collection SACD... which I have to check, and make sure it is a true mono, and not a fold down... still really like it alot...

It's a fold down and a bad one at that as(if I remember right) it only has one side of the previous stereo mix, thus Brians slide is very quiet and muffled.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #30 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 10:16am
The 'SCUE is flashing its bright lights to remind this thread to drive over into the slow lane.

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #31 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 9:03pm
sorry to be slow but just to return to Sympathy it is ,of course, widely referred to that the song was, at least partly, based upon this book

...*

thanks to the stonesian connection i made the efort to read it and am glad i did so - it is a great piece of work that deserves its reputation as a classic (imho)

you  can clearly see the similaries between the opening chapter and jagger's narrative position

interestingly the cover shown above is a russian painting entitled "An Englishman in Moscow"
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2009 at 9:05pm by stonedinaustralia »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #32 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 11:22am
SIA, feel free to go back if you are coming in late... at least you're on topic and talking Stones and rock n' roll...

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #33 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 11:23am
Next up:
Dear Doctor
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Dear Doctor"

"Dear Doctor" cover
Song by The Rolling Stones
Album      Beggars Banquet
Released      6 December 1968
Recorded      May 13-21, 1968

Writer      Jagger/Richards
Producer      Jimmy Miller

"Dear Doctor" is a song by English rock and roll band the Rolling Stones featured on their 1968 album Beggars Banquet.
Written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, "Dear Doctor" is country song with blues inflections. It is a good example of the acoustic guitar-based compostions that has earned Beggars Banquet its reputation as the Stones' "return to form". Bill Janovitz says in his review of the song, "With all acoustic instruments — guitar, tack piano, 12-string, harmonica, tambourine, and upright bass — ...the band manages to sound authentically old-time and primitive, with Mick Jagger employing the fake-American hick accent that he would continue to mine in future blues and country numbers throughout the Stones' career."
On the Stones' experiments with country, Jagger said in 2003, "The country songs, like 'Factory Girl' or 'Dear Doctor', on Beggars Banquet were really pastiche. There's a sense of humour in country music anyway, a way of looking at life in a humorous kind of way - and I think we were just acknowledging that element of the music."
The song tells the story of a young man discovering his fiancee has abandoned him on the day they are to be wed, to his relief;
“      I was tremblin, as I put on my jacket, It had creases as sharp as a knife; I put the ring in my pocket, But there was a note, And my heart it jumped into my mouth      ”
“      It read, 'Darlin', I'm sorry to hurt you. But I have no courage to speak to your face. But I'm down in Virginia with your cousin Lou, There be no wedding today'      ”
Janovitz concludes, "Jagger may be poking fun a little, but he could not nail the parlance of the characters so precisely if he had not studied it closely as a fan of the music... In a sense, they have been musicologists, interpreting musical forms that were in danger of dying out. The raw quality of 'Dear Doctor' and the rest of the album was a welcoming sound to the ears of most Stones fans losing patience with their experimentation on Their Satanic Majesties Request."[1]
"Dear Doctor" was recorded at London's Olympic Sound Studios between May 13 and 21 1968. With Jagger on lead vocals, Richards supports on backing harmony. Richards performs all guitars for the track, with Bill Wyman performing bass and Charlie Watts performing drums. Brian Jones plays harmonica and Nicky Hopkins performs piano.
Despite its appearance on one of the Stones' more well-known albums, "Dear Doctor" has never been performed live by the band. It also appears on no compilation albums.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #34 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 11:26am
I love... love, love... this song. what a great song about getting dumped and let off the hook at the same time. The Stones def. hit the country music nail on the head here... If you played this song seperate for a country fan, who didn't know The stones, you know they'd love it, and jaw drop when you told them it was those faggy brit popster Rolling Stones... 1968...truly amazing.
I don't know for sure, but I don't think this was ever played live!!!

IP Logged

Jesus Christ
Rocks Off Regular

Let he who is without
sin cast the first stone.

Heaven
Reply #35 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 2:32pm
stonedinaustralia wrote on Jul 1st, 2009 at 9:03pm:
sorry to be slow but just to return to Sympathy it is ,of course, widely referred to that the song was, at least partly, based upon this book

...*

thanks to the stonesian connection i made the efort to read it and am glad i did so - it is a great piece of work that deserves its reputation as a classic (imho)

you  can clearly see the similaries between the opening chapter and jagger's narrative position

interestingly the cover shown above is a russian painting entitled "An Englishman in Moscow"

It is indeed a great novel, and you'd think it would make a fantastic movie  (I believe there have
been several less-than-fantastic attempts at it). My favorite character is Yeshua Ha-Nozri.

'No Expectations":

I love this one, too. (Actually I love the whole album. It might be my favorite Stones album, if I had to pick one.)
A big thumbs up for the Biblical reference, one of many on the record:

Your love is like a diamond / you throw your pearls at swine
And as I watch you leaving me / you pass my peace of mind

which recalls:

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your
pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet,
and turn again and rend you.
    - Matthew 7:6

It's funny that for several years Keith insisted that Brian
played nothing on Beggar's Banquet - yet when R&R Circus
was finally released, suddenly everyone remembered that
he played slide on this.  

"Dear Doctor"  is an absolute hoot. Every line is hilarious,
and Jagger's delivery would be at home on Hee Haw.  
However, the instrumental backing isn't funny at all - it's
just great.

« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2009 at 2:36pm by Jesus Christ »  

...&&&&"Hey, JC go fuck yourself you little bitch!" - Riffhard&&&&"...Jesus was...a tranny. " - Nankerphelge&&&&&&&&

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #36 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 3:02pm
Tell me Jesus, why didn't you whisper into Mick's ear to put that pic you just posted on the cover and the toilet the gatefold sleeve.  Would have been the best cover ever.  Being all-knowing, You should, er,  know that!

Dear Doctor gets derided as the weakest track on BB.  I disagree (if I had to pick one I'd say Parachute Woman).

Like with Far Away eyes, Jagger knew that he could never pull off earnest country, and his instinct told him -- and correctly I think -- to yuck it up with the exaggerated accent and funny lyrics, rendering it a Stones-country hybrid rather than an attempt at the real deal.  Keith's playing again is superb, and the track works on the whole.  Thumbs up.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #37 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 4:06pm
Zack wrote on Jul 2nd, 2009 at 3:02pm:
Tell me Jesus, why didn't you whisper into Mick's ear to put that pic you just posted on the cover and the toilet the gatefold sleeve.  Would have been the best cover ever.  Being all-knowing, You should, er,  know that!

Dear Doctor gets derided as the weakest track on BB.  I disagree (if I had to pick one I'd say Parachute Woman).

Like with Far Away eyes, Jagger knew that he could never pull off earnest country, and his instinct told him -- and correctly I think -- to yuck it up with the exaggerated accent and funny lyrics, rendering it a Stones-country hybrid rather than an attempt at the real deal.  Keith's playing again is superb, and the track works on the whole.  Thumbs up.

he def. goes over the top on the falsetto, reading the lines from the letter. despite Jaggers over the top lyrics, the music is 100% pure country...imo.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #38 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 4:09pm
"You kids are really going to get once Emotional Rescue gets home!!"

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #39 - Jul 3rd, 2009 at 6:50am
Saint Sway wrote on Jul 2nd, 2009 at 4:09pm:
"You kids are really going to get once Emotional Rescue gets home!!"

We should get to ER, in a bout 6 months or so, can you hold it in til then....

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #40 - Jul 3rd, 2009 at 7:41am
I feel that "Dear Doctor" is a legit 'underrated' song - among Stones fans as a whole, and even on the sites we whackos visit, it gets little attention, and that includes hearing it on the radio.  Add in the fact that it's from what is regarded as one of the Stones top 5 albums by most, and you can see it deserves better.  It's like "Far Away Eyes" but more musically interesting, more bluesy.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #41 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 6:28am
Parachute Woman
"Parachute Woman" is a song by the Rolling Stones featured on their 1968 album Beggars Banquet.
inspiration and recording

Written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, "Parachute Woman" is a slow blues song and is one of the famous Beggars Banquet songs recorded on a cassette player and double-tracked for effect. Bill Janovitz says in his review of the song, "The result is a raw and murky but atmosphere-filled blues track that spotlights Mick Jagger's mumbled sexual boasts and intense harmonica playing. With barely veiled innuendo — just enough to make it comical — Jagger makes like a modern-day Muddy Waters."
“      Parachute woman, will you blow me out? Parachute woman, will you blow me out? Well, my heavy throbbers itchin', Just to lay a solid rhythm down      ”
Recording began at Olympic Sound Studios on March 25, 1968. With Jagger on lead vocals, Richards performs the song's acoustic rhythm and electric guitars, Harmonica performed by Jagger and Charlie Watts provides drums. Bill Wyman is featured on the upright bass, a rare occurrence for him.
[edit]Aftermath

"Parachute Woman" was performed by the Stones during the 1968 Rock and Roll Circus and appears on the subsequent album. It would also be performed during the 2002 Licks Tour.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #42 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 6:35am
for many, i think this would be a least liked track or one you didn't like right away. i don't know what the metaphor really is. i went more literal, and imagined a woman floating into my room while i was pining away for sex and a tortured teen. music is for the listener to interpret... took this one about as superficial as you can get. over the years the music has grown on me. love the choppy playing, to the point, kinda blues almost berry-esque rhythm. the harmonica, is great... i fel like a train is coming, somebody just sitting in some muggy hot southern porch late at night, howling away on the harp. almost haunting, bt it carries something else into the music, desperation, maybe. which probably ties back to what i get out of the lyrics... much better song for me now, then when i was 13 and just wanted to hear fast rocking tunes...

IP Logged

Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Reply #43 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 7:32am
It seems most likely that Brian plays the harmonica throughout the song with Mick overdubbing the end part, with Brian's harmonica still going on underneath.

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #44 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 8:01am
i love this one and for me, Zack, is more delta blues than No Expectations...man there is no metaphor it is so blatant ...land on me tonight cos my heavy throbber;s itchin'...what;s to metamorphize? yet another track from BB where keith shows an acoustic guitar carries as much whack as an electric...esp. in the right hands and right in time with that snare drumand a sound to which pro tools can only aspire
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2009 at 10:50am by stonedinaustralia »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Jesus Christ
Rocks Off Regular

Let he who is without
sin cast the first stone.

Heaven
Reply #45 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 11:13am
This often-overlooked song has always been one of my favorites. In terms of songwriting, Parachute Woman might
be overshadowed by some of the other songs on BB, but as far as the FEEL of the track goes, it's perfect. As in
many of the Stones' most enduring recordings, the lyrics are mumbled and buried - leaving the listener free to draw
their own conclusions of exactly what's on Mick's mind. Meanwhile, the rhythm leaves little doubt about the underlying
subject matter. (Psst - it's about S-E-X.) Keith's overdubbed electric guitar is positively deranged, and its addition to
what would otherwise be a fairly straightforward country blues format is in line with the overall feel of the whole album.

It's worth mentioning that Beggar's Banquet owes a lot to Keith's first big return to the woodshed, guitar-wise.  
On the 1966 American tour Keith went on a record-buying spree, sending dozens of rare blues and country albums
home to England where he could study them at length and absorb them as he once had Chuck Berry and Muddy
Waters records. At the same time, he began experimenting with the open tunings those records were built around.  
Although he hadn't yet arrived (via Ry Cooder) at the classic open G, much of Beggar's Banquet uses open D and
open E tunings, which give the songs a different feel at the very foundation.  Trying to play any of these songs in
straight "concert" tuning results in a lot of head scratching - "how the HELL do they get that sound?" - and in those
pre-internet days, very few people were in on the secret.

...&&&&"Hey, JC go fuck yourself you little bitch!" - Riffhard&&&&"...Jesus was...a tranny. " - Nankerphelge&&&&&&&&

IP Logged

real wild child
Rocks Off Regular

Mexico City
Reply #46 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 10:56pm
Do we have to discuss about it???  Shit!
To me is a masterpiece period.
A great comeback and it was their first album with a defined sound
I can hear No Expectations over and over again... What the fuck?

I don't do as much as everyone thinks but I probably do a bit more than they imagine – Keith Richards, 2006

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #47 - Jul 5th, 2009 at 1:12am
I prefer the original "R.S.V.P." album cover and the original 10-song platter, even now.

To see them play "No Expectations" live, even though I would have preferred it "pure" and without a guest star, was still a thrill for me. It remains one of my top favorite Stones songs and is timeless.

"Take me to the station
And put me on a train
I've got no expectations
To pass through here again

Once I was a rich man and
Now I am so poor
But never in my sweet short life
Have I felt like this before

You heart is like a diamond
You throw your pearls at swine
And as I watch you leaving me
You pack my peace of mind

Our love was like the water
That splashes on a stone
Our love is like our music
It's here, and then it's gone

So take me to the airport
And put me on a plane
I got no expectations
To pass through here again "

Yet another Stones paeon to time, how precious it is, and how fast it flashes by.

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2009 at 3:15pm by GotToRollMe »  

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #48 - Jul 5th, 2009 at 8:46am
seeing that cover reminds me of all the bootlegs from this era... my fave being Sister Morphines one, some real gems. If vaults were ever opened just for Beggars Banquet release alone... we could see an official release of Two Trains... oooh... if only!!! and others...

IP Logged

fuman
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Jul 5th, 2009 at 10:45am
Boomy wrote on Jun 30th, 2009 at 5:31pm:
"No Expectations"--simply beautiful.

"Beggars Banquet" is the shit. I give this one copious spins!!

No Expectations was the first song I learned on guitar, way back in the early '70's.

Bought a chord book and practiced it again and again until I could make the changes.

Best hobby I ever picked up, as it has given me many years of entertainment, and continues to do so . . .

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)