Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Beggars Banquet, song by song discussion thread (Read 4,370 times)
Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Beggars Banquet, song by song discussion thread
Jun 29th, 2009 at 9:32am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
So, do you know how to do this? Are we capable of doing this? Probably not, but we'll try anyway.

We go in order, for a day or two, so everyone can chime in on songs... In this case we discuss singles too, since there's a few non LP tracks, but let's just do tthe album first.

First up SFTD.

from wikipedia:
"Sympathy for the Devil" was written by singer Mick Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards, though the song was largely a Jagger composition. In a 1995 interview with Rolling Stone, Jagger said, "I think that was taken from an old idea of Baudelaire's, I think, but I could be wrong. Sometimes when I look at my Baudelaire books, I can't see it in there. But it was an idea I got from French writing. And I just took a couple of lines and expanded on it. I wrote it as sort of like a Bob Dylan song." In actuality at certain points the lyrics bear a striking resemblance to Mikhail Bulgakov's novel The Master and Margarita (see below). It was Richards who suggested changing the tempo and using additional percussion, turning the folk song into a samba.
The working title of the song was "The Devil Is My Name", and it is sung by Jagger as a first-person narrative from the point of view of Lucifer.

...One of the greatest song I can think of, if someone asked me what the greatest songs ever written were. I never get sick of it, like I do with other songs that make those crappy greatest songs ever written lists. I've had many versions of this song, live dif. releases, and my fave is the 2002 SACD version. The redbook layer is fine, but the SACD really brings out some sublime stuff and the music never wears  on me, like some remasterings of songs can do.
I'm a big fan of the lyrics of this song, it's kinda deep... the story is pretty clear... I always took the song about being as much about good as evil, and as much about god as the devil.

I hope this topic catches on, I think it would be nice to see some threads dedicated to Stones, and even any other rock bands, since the political thread going, as fun as it is, IMO, shouldn't be the most viewed and discussed here. We can give it a run for it's money.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2009 at 9:34am by Pdog »  

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Re: Beggars Banquet, song by song discussion threa
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 11:14am
OK, I'll play.  My first comment is to note the audacity of the very idea of starting an album with a song titled Sympathy for the Devil in the tight-lipped UK in 1968. . . .

The lyrics are a jumble of images that somehow hang together incredibly well through the universal truth of the coexistence of good and evil in all of us. . . .  

Credit must be given to the graceful piano of Nicky Hopkins, which is really the lead instrument on the song. . . .

Keith's bass playing is also sublime.  I've never heard the circumstance of how he and why he bumped Bill to the side.  Maybe Bill heard it and, like Charlie with Jimmy Miller on YCAGWYW, said to himself I can't improve on that.  . . .

Keith's solo if of course also one for the ages:  funny how two quite different solos on two quite different versions of the songs (studio and Ya Ya's) are both widely seen as among the greatest guitar solos ever.  That says a lot about our man Keith Richards. . .

I suspect Miller had a lot to do with the opening percussion-backing vox arrangement, which is distinctly different from anything the Stones had done before.  His production also gives the music an asthetic beauty which, with a few exceptions (I'm thinking Ruby Tuesday) didn't exist in the Stones music previously. . . .
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2009 at 11:15am by Zack »  

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:32pm
this will never be as big as the 'SCUE thread.

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

CS
Rocks Off Regular

Hell
Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:38pm
Great read about the album http://www.timeisonourside.com/lpBanquet.html and about SFTD http://www.timeisonourside.com/SOSympathy.html

TrackTalk

I think that was taken from an old idea of Baudelaire's, I think, but I could be wrong. Sometimes when I look at my Baudelaire books, I can't see it in there. But it was an idea I got from French writing*. And I just took a couple of lines and expanded on it. I wrote it as sort of like a Bob Dylan song. And you can see it in this movie Godard shot called Sympathy for the Devil, which is very fortuitous, because Godard wanted to do a film of us in the studio. I mean, it would never happen now, to get someone as interesting as Godard. And stuffy. We just happened to be recording that song. We could have been recording My Obsession. But it was Sympathy for the Devil, and it became the track that we used.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

[*Note: The principal inspiration for the song was actually the novel The Master and Margarita by Soviet writer Mikhail Bulgakov. Many lines from the song have direct references in that book. In his 1981 book The Last Twenty Years, David Dalton lists it as one of the books Mick purchased in 1968.]

(I wrote that song alone). I mean, Keith suggested that we do it in another rhythm, so that's how bands help you... I knew it was something good, 'cause I would just keep banging away at it until the fucking band recorded it... But I knew it was a good song. You just have this feeling. It had its poetic beginning, and then it had historic references and then philosophical jottings and so on. It's all very well to write that in verse, but to make it into a pop song is something different. Especially in England - you're skewered on the altar of pop culture if you become pretentious.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

It started out as a folky thing like Jigsaw Puzzle, but that didn't make it so we kept going over it and changing it until finally it comes out as a samba.

- Mick Jagger, 1968

Sympathy for the Devil started out as a Bob Dylan song and ended up as a samba.

- Keith Richards, 2002

Sympathy for the Devil started as sort of a folk song with acoustics, and ended up as a kind of mad samba, with me playing bass and overdubbing the guitar later. That's why I don't like to go into the studio with all the songs worked out and planned beforehand.

- Keith Richards, 1977

Sympathy for the Devil was tried six different ways. I don't mean at once. It was all night doing it one way, then another full night trying it another way, and we just could not get it right. It would never fit a regular rhythm. I first heard Mick play that one on the steps of my house on an acoustic guitar. The first time I heard it, it was really light and had a kind of Brazilian sound. Then when we got in the studio we poured things on it, and it was something different. I could never get a rhythm for it, except this one, which is like a samba on the snare drum. It was always a bit like a dance band until we got Rocky Dijon in, playing the congas. By messing about with that, we got the thing done.

- Charlie Watts, 1982

Sympathy was one of those songs where we tried everything. The first time I ever heard the song was when Mick was playing it at the front door of a house I lived in in Sussex. It was at dinner; he played it entirely on his own, the sun was going down - and it was fantastic. We had a go at loads of different ways of playing it; in the end I just played a jazz Latin feel in the style that Kenny Clarke would have played on A Night In Tunisia - not the actual rhythm he played, but the same styling. Fortunately it worked, because it was a sod to get together... Good song, though.

- Charlie Watts, 2003

But if you've got a good song, it could become anything. Which is the mark of a good song, I think. That one is a good song.

- Mick Jagger, 2003

We've done about three nights of this kind of (film) shooting. We shot a number called The Devil Is My Name which is on the LP. The first run-through was a disaster and then the second take everything went perfect. It could well be the feature track on the album.

- Keith Richards, June 1968

Anita (Pallenberg) was the epitome of what was happening at the time. She was very Chelsea. She'd arrive with the elite film crowd. During Sympathy for the Devil when I started going whoo, whoo in the control room, so did they. I had the engineer set up a mike so they could go out in the studio and whoo, whoo.

- Jimmy Miller, 1979

My whole thing of this song was not black magic and all this nonsense - like Megadeth or whatever else came afterward. It was different than that.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

It has a very hypnotic groove, a samba, which has a tremendous hypnotic power, rather like good dance music. It doesn't speed up or down. It keeps this constant groove. Plus, the actual samba rhythm is a great one to sing on, but it's also got some other suggestions in it, an undercurrent of being primitive - because it is a primitive African, South American, Afro-whatever-you-call-that rhythm. So to white people, it has a very sinister thing about it. But forgetting the cultural colors, it is a very good vehicle for producing a powerful piece. It becomes less pretentious because it's a very unpretentious groove. If it had been done as a ballad, it wouldn't have been as good.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

Vaguely, (the line about the Kennedys) means you can't pin their deaths on anyone, because there were so many people who would have liked to see them dead. It is our responsibility because crime in our society is our responsibility.

- Mick Jagger, 1969

(We took the subject of the devil seriously) for the duration of the song. That's what those things are about. It's like acting in a movie: you try to act out the scene as believably as possible, whether you believe it or not. That's called GOOD ACTING. You have to remember, when somebody writes a song, it's not entirely autobiographical... Sympathy for the Devil was pretty... ah, well, it's just one song, as I said. Hell, you know, I neve really did the subject to death. But I DID have to back off a little, because I could see what was happening. It's an easily exploitable image, and people really went for it in a big way.

- Mick Jagger, 1987

Sympathy is quite an uplifting song. It's just a matter of looking (the Devil) in the face. He's there all the time. I've had very close contact with Lucifer - I've met him several times. Evil - people tend to bury it and hope it sorts itself out and doesn't rear its ugly head. Sympathy for the Devil is just as appropriate now, with 9/11. There it is again, big time. When that song was written, it was a time of turmoil. It was the first sort of international chaos since World War II. And confusion is not the ally of peace and love. You want to think the world is perfect. Everybody gets sucked into that. And as America has found out to its dismay, you can't hide. You might as well accept the fact that evil is there and deal with it any way you can. Sympathy for the Devil is a song that says, Don't forget him. If you confront him, then he's out of a job.

- Keith Richards, 2002

http://www.timeisonourside.com
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:44pm by CS »  

IP Logged

CS
Rocks Off Regular

Hell
Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:46pm
CS wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:38pm:
I've had very close contact with Lucifer - I've met him several times.

- Keith Richards, 2002

Ouch! :necrophillicpost

IP Logged

Jesus Christ
Rocks Off Regular

Let he who is without
sin cast the first stone.

Heaven
Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 3:11pm
Wait...are WE supposed to write what WE think about the songs on Beggar's Banquet, or are we supposed to post what other people think about them?

The  recording of this song is the subject of a nearly unwatchable film by Jean Luc Godard. The footage of the sessions, which is fascinating to Stones obsessives but not necessarily others, is intercut with  "revolutionary" footage of Black Panthers and Marxist dogma even Comrade Obama wouldn't sit still for.  We see the girlfriends sing the "hooo hooo" parts.  We see Brian bum cigarettes and disintegrate. We hear the lyrics change from "Who killed Kennedy" to "Who killed the Kennedys" as RFK was assassinated between the main sessions (June 4-5, 1968) and the overdub sessions (June 8, 9 and 10, 1968).

The sessions took place in Olympic Sound Studios
in London, which caught on fire during the recording
of Sympathy.  Godard filmed the fire but didn't use
the footage in the finished movie, perhaps because
it would've made too much sense.

Keith played the fantastic solo on a black 1957 Les Paul Custom
with three humbucking pickups and a custom paint job. I believe
it was one of the priceless guitars stolen from Nellcote circa 1972.
Photographic evidence suggests it was played through a Vox AC30.

This is one of my favorite Stones songs because I'm name-checked in it.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2009 at 3:17pm by Jesus Christ »  

...&&&&"Hey, JC go fuck yourself you little bitch!" - Riffhard&&&&"...Jesus was...a tranny. " - Nankerphelge&&&&&&&&

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 4:03pm

i listen to sympathy on occasion.  i prefer the version from get yer ya ya's out.

No Expectations....man that song just makes me want to just GO HOME.  what a beauty of a tune.

Are you fucking serious?
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2009 at 4:05pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

axl79
Rocks Off Regular

Stockholm, Sweden
Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 4:18pm
This is a great song and proof is that it's still going strong after 40 years !
I like the new video that was released for a couple of yaers ago (Neptunes Remix Video)
and also the version played at the Isle Of Wight Festival was outstanding !

Stoned in Sweden

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 4:20pm
axl79 wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 4:18pm:
I like the new video that was released for a couple of yaers ago (Neptunes Remix Video)

is it possibe for you to post these videos?  i have not seen either one of them.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 5:28pm
Beggars Banquet gives Emotional Rescue its lunch money because it fears the beat down.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2009 at 5:31pm by Saint Sway »  

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 5:50pm
Saint Sway wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 5:28pm:
Beggars Banquet gives Emotional Rescue its lunch money because it fears the beat down.

funny!

IP Logged

mmdog
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:10pm

Not to correct you Sway, but did you ever see Tony Soprano collect money on the Sopranos?  Emotional Rescue has Exile On Main Street collect the money while it sits back in the hottub with supermodels.

IP Logged

mmdog
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:13pm
mmdog wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:10pm:

Not to correct you Sway, but did you ever see Tony Soprano collect money on the Sopranos?  Emotional Rescue has Exile On Main Street collect the money while it sits back in the hottub with supermodels.

And to stay on topic, I find Sympathy to be the song that non hardcore Stones fans like the most. 

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #13 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 12:04am
Yes One the greatest crafted song I know, the  words, the drums, put you in a different feel or moody right from the beginning. From the opening Lines, Jagger is able to set you deep, in the story.I love songs that have dual type meaning, one you think you know, but than again is that really what it's about. Or are they spoofing us........ It made me think and that's what a great song should do. Blank Frigging Stare  
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2009 at 12:07am by Kilroy »  

13th_Beggars_Banquet68.jpg (Attachment deleted)

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

axl79
Rocks Off Regular

Stockholm, Sweden
Reply #14 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 1:16am
Quote:
axl79 wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 4:18pm:

is it possibe for you to post these videos?  i have not seen either one of them.

Are you fucking serious?

Yes, I will as soon as find them, everything is packed as i'm moving into a new place.

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2009 at 1:17am by axl79 »  

Stoned in Sweden

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #15 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 7:19am
I don't need a thread that tells me what to do. Better seen on weed!

IP Logged

Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Reply #16 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 8:16am
Jesus Christ wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 3:11pm:

The first photo in your post is from 1967.  Also, it's more likely that he used the Vox Supreme for the solo rather than the AC30.

IP Logged

Jesus Christ
Rocks Off Regular

Let he who is without
sin cast the first stone.

Heaven
Reply #17 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 9:54am
Philip wrote on Jun 30th, 2009 at 8:16am:

The first photo in your post is from 1967.  Also, it's more likely that he used the Vox Supreme for the solo rather than the AC30.

Thou shalt not nit-pick the Lord!

That first photo's great, innit? Although the caption says 1967, I thought the elaborate disarray of Keith's hair suggested it was taken relatively close to the inside gatefold photo of Beggar's Banquet.  His clothes and jewelry do look more like Satanic (hiccup) Majesties era.  However, the notes from photographer Eddie Kramer make it seem like maybe he's confused about the date:

Keith Richards at Olympic Studios, London, England 1967
© Eddie Kramer, 1967
I engineered the Stones recording of the Beggars Banquet album, with Jimmy Miller producing. Since I had worked with them previously on Satanic Majesties, Between The Buttons, and the Flowers albums, they felt fairly relaxed about me being around them with a camera.

During these recordings the famed French film maker Jean-Luc Godard was making “Sympathy for the Devil” (known as “One Plus One” in the UK) a documentary  on the Stones. –EK

Beggar's Banquet was recorded entirely in 1968, so something - either the photos provenance or the caption - is out of whack about Kramer's recollection. Whatever - it's a great photo.

Although I am omipresent and omniscient, I will bow to your opinion on which Vox amp Keith played through.  It certainly could have been a Vox Supreme.

...&&&&"Hey, JC go fuck yourself you little bitch!" - Riffhard&&&&"...Jesus was...a tranny. " - Nankerphelge&&&&&&&&

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #18 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 10:33am
It's just a matter of looking (the Devil) in the face. He's there all the time. I've had very close contact with Lucifer - I've met him several times. 

- Keith Richards, 2002

"You called, Keith?"

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #19 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 12:06pm
Wait...are WE supposed to write what WE think about the songs on Beggar's Banquet, or are we supposed to post what other people think about them?

Our lord and savior should NOT have to cut and paste.  Jesus Chr . . .  oops, sorry your omnipotentness.

Pdog, you need to moderate this discussion if it's going to work.  Where are you? 

Perhaps you should move us to the next track.

IP Logged

Moonisup
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 2:48pm
Gazza wrote on Jun 30th, 2009 at 10:33am:
It's just a matter of looking (the Devil) in the face. He's there all the time. I've had very close contact with Lucifer - I've met him several times.  

- Keith Richards, 2002

"You called, Keith?"

Grin

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #21 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 3:46pm
next up:

No Expectations
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"No Expectations"

"No Expectations" cover
Song by The Rolling Stones
Album      Beggars Banquet
Released      6 December 1968
Recorded      May-June, 1968

"No Expectations" is a song by the British rock and roll band the Rolling Stones featured on their 1968 album Beggars Banquet. It was first released as the B-side of the "Street Fighting Man" single in August 1968.
Contents

The song was written by singer Mick Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards. The song is a slow, country-tinged blues ballad. "No Expectations" was one of the famed Beggars Banquet songs recorded with open microphones set between the band members and was recorded live. In his review of the song, Bill Janovitz says, "The loneliness expressed in the song is palpable; all about being left behind, the song is certainly a tribute in musical and lyrical tone to such Robert Johnson blues songs as "Love in Vain" — a favourite cover of the Stones — referencing such images as a train leaving the station."[1]
“      Take me to the station, And put me on a train; I've got no expectations, To pass through here again      ”
“      Once I was a rich man and, Now I am so poor; But never in my sweet short life, Have I felt like this before      ”
"No Expectations" also features an acoustic slide guitar performance by Brian Jones. One of his most famous contributions to a Stones song, Jagger said in a 1995 interview in Rolling Stone, "That's Brian playing [the solo]. We were sitting around in a circle on the floor, singing and playing, recording with open mikes. That was the last time I remember Brian really being totally involved in something that was really worth doing. He was there with everyone else. It's funny how you remember - but that was the last moment I remember him doing that, because he had just lost interest in everything." [2] Accompanying Jones is Richards on acoustic rhythm guitar, with Janovitz remarking that Richards, "play[s] the same open-tuned rhythm he would later use on 'You Can't Always Get What You Want', also contributing to that lonely ambience." The song is also noted for its simple claves-kept beat by Charlie Watts and Nicky Hopkins' "building single-chord organ" and low piano trills.
[edit]Aftermath

The first live performance was captured during the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus and is featured on the accompanying live album and DVD. This performance was to be Jones's last live performance with the Rolling Stones. Like Brian Jones' performance on the Beggar's Banquet album, that live performance is also Brian's last substantial contribution on stage, as many of the Stones songs from that filming have little to no audible contribution from him. The song has since rarely been played live. The second, and most notable performance, was at the Hyde Park free concert, July 5, 1969, which was held as a memorial to Jones who died three days before. The third live performance was at the January 18, 1973 benefit concert at the Los Angeles Forum for victims of the recent 23 December 1972 earthquake in Nicaragua. It would take another 21 years until August 28th, 1994 in Cleveland, OH, USA, that the song was performed again. On the 2002/2003 Licks tour No Expectations was played eleven times in total, and hasn't been performed since.
"No Expectations" has also proven to be a popular cover song for other artists. Johnny Cash recorded a bluegrass-inspired version, available on his album Gone Girl and the collection Essential Johnny Cash 1953-83. Waylon Jennings recorded a version for his 1998 album Closing in on the Fire. Soulsavers recorded a brooding, piano-and-voice version accompanied with Screaming Trees singer Mark Lanegan on their album It's Not How Far You Fall, It's The Way You Land. Joan Baez also performed a cover on her 1970 album One Day at a Time. Beck also started playing this song in his concerts just after the release of Sea Change. Jam-grass acts Yonder Mountain String Band and Flatlander also often cover this song at their shows.
It is also included on the 1972 Stones compilation album More Hot Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies). The single version is available on Singles Collection: The London Years.

IP Logged

Moonisup
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #22 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 4:15pm
lovely song. love the stripped companion version, and the 03 live versions I've seen

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #23 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 4:45pm
Moonisup wrote on Jun 30th, 2009 at 4:15pm:
lovely song. love the stripped companion version, and the 03 live versions I've seen

I like the mono version on the singles collection SACD... which I have to check, and make sure it is a true mono, and not a fold down... still really like it alot...

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #24 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 4:48pm
Love the song.  

Perhaps the most genuine Delta blues the Stones ever pulled off.  The tone of Keith's guitar and his touch playing is spine-tingling.  Jagger's opening homage to Robert Johnson is just enough to set the tone for the songs, and later he hits the ball out of the park lyrically with the "never in my sweet, short life . . ." bit.  

People may jump all over me, but I think Brian's solo is nice, but nothing all that special musically (this from the world's third-worst musician!).  What was really special is that they could have one last successful recording session with Brian as a functioning member of the band making a meaningful contribution, which the song obviously represents.  Something his fans can point to.

One of my good friends used the opening couplet as his senior quote in his high school yearbook.  Cheeky bastard.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2009 at 4:50pm by Zack »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)