Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carla Rhodes Gets Interviewed W/out Moving Her Lip (Read 778 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Carla Rhodes Gets Interviewed W/out Moving Her Lip
Jun 22nd, 2009 at 10:04am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I remember Carla posting here on the board long time ago, I found this interview today, be sire to go to her website to see some hilarious videos of Carla and Keith Richards

Carla Rhodes Gets Interviewed Without Moving Her Lips

Jun 22nd 2009 8:58AM
By Corn Mo

I only have one ventriloquist friend. I should have more but there aren't enough of them in the New York variety scene. Having a puppet is cool but seeing someone talk without moving her lips is even cooler.

I can't remember when I met Carla Rhodes. I just remember being excited that there is someone still doing ventriloquism. She had a Keith Richards dummy and a Mick Jagger dummy. The Keith Richards dummy had a bag of cocaine sewed to his hand. She's performing June 25 in "JOY: The Show" hosted by Gabe Pacheco at Sal Anthony's Movement Salon.

What or who inspired you to be a ventriloquist?
When I was 9 years old, I saw Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop on television. I was instantly hooked!

Did you use a book or an audio set?
I went to my local library (this was one of the few things to do out in the sticks) and checked out the 1950's gem "Fun With Ventriloquism." I read this book obsessively and watched Shari Lewis obsessively - and viola! A ventriloquial prodigy was born.

When did you start doing comedy shows?
I started performing professionally when I was 13 (1995ish) in a local magic shop. They had a fancy stage and put on a magic show every weekend. I also got to watch from the side of the stage, which was pretty fascinating. I could decipher a lot of the magic tricks. I'd also help a lot of the magicians setup... My favorite thing to do was help a guy load doves into his coat! When I was 15, the local comedy club let me perform there every week. Fun times!

How many dummies do you have?
Counting my boyfriend? Hey-o! I've got quite a few but my act mainly focuses on Cecil Sinclaire, a cantankerous 1920's gentleman. I perform a lot of times with doppelgangers of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, too.

Has Keith Richards met Keith Richards?
Yup! It was one of the grooviest things. I got to meet him a few times. He was so sweet! Meeting Mick Jagger was pretty rad, too! There are photos on my Website, www.carlarhodes.net

You're in a documentary about ventriloquism?
I've appeared in a few documentaries. When I was 16, an English production company followed me around for a week or so. They showed my mundane life in the Southern Indiana/Kentucky area (including a scene of myself working in a candy store) and followed me to a shindig in Las Vegas. It aired on the Learning Channel and all over the world. Some guy from Paris wrote me and wanted to marry me! More recently I've appeared in a documentary about artists interesting living situations (I used to live in a ridiculously tiny East Village studio), which aired on Canal + in France. Some cool dudes are currently making a documentary on puppeteers. Cecil and I are featured in it. It'll hopefully be out later this year.

How do other ventriloquists feel about you?
I'm sure they think I'm totally radical and innovative. Don't 'cha agree?

When you watch other ventriloquists do you immediately become critical or do you abandon everything and watch the magic?
I love anything to do with puppets. I think it's such a great art form. I mainly judge ventriloquists on their material... I like clever and surreal stuff.

Can you throw your voice?
Yes! I learned to do this from a dusty copy of Edgar Bergen's vinyl LP.

How does an argument with two ventriloquist play out?
If I was arguing with Cecil it probably wouldn't end too pretty. He'd most likely pummel me with licorice or feed me to an alligator.

Have you ever had a heckler?
Yes! I love when people heckle Cecil because I enjoy ad libbing. It keeps ya on your toes. Ok, I only adore a little heckling... It can get distracting.

Do you embrace animatronics?
Animatronics are to ventriloquism to what moving pictures were to vaudeville!
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2009 at 10:06am by moy »  

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Re: Carla Rhodes Gets Interviewed W/out Moving Her
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 10:08am

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 4:42pm
I LOVE those puppets! She does ventriltoquism too, huh? French kissing a puppet, now that's LOVE! KEEF"s puppet is holding a tray of coke, now that's funny! She is very cool! Thanks for posting!

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 3:45pm
Funny stuff!

IP Logged

vox12string
Rocks Off Regular

Australia
Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 6:43am
Ventriloquism's fine but what's she doing with that Brian Jones' Gretsch?

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 1:57pm
WTF

that is some freaky shit

she definitely posts here

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 3:14pm
moy wrote on Jun 22nd, 2009 at 10:04am:
I remember Carla posting here on the board long time ago

I think she posted a few times and it was looooong time ago. She is a real talent, a very nice person and a cool fan, just see Beggars Banquet Magazines in her pictures.

She deserves a header  smoking more weed is good for your health

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 4:06pm
todays header is great.  i have never heard this girl before....she's funny.  i like the baggie with the white stuff in it.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 4:07pm
YEAH!

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 12:05pm
Ventriloquist Carla Rhodes manipulates pop culture

By Tamara Ikenberg • [email protected]
June 28, 2009
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090628/SCENE05/906280304

Keith Richards is hanging from the chandelier, and Mick Jagger is throwing money everywhere in a tiny New York apartment. Enter their roommate: Carla Rhodes, a petite woman with wild, red curly hair. She scolds them for their lack of control — and for making her computer freeze on the American Association of Retired Persons Web site.

It's a scene from the new Web show "Positively 5th Street," starring Rhodes, 27, a rising star and rock 'n' roll ventriloquist, along with two very convincing Mick and Keith puppets.

The Charlestown, Ind., native who wowed Louisville crowds as a teenager was recently named one of New York magazine's 10 comics to watch in 2009. With a full schedule of gigs, Rhodes races around New York's alternative comedy scene toting suspicious-looking suitcases holding Mick, Keith and her other character, Cecil, a deranged 1920s chauvinist.

Rhodes may be young, but she's been perfecting her technique for 19 years. The self-taught artist's first performance was at Jonathan Jennings Elementary School in Charlestown. By 15, she was cracking up crowds at Comedy Caravan. And now she's the puppet-toting toast of New York.

"I think it's cool to manipulate pop culture through puppets and I love rock 'n' roll," said Rhodes, calling from the patio of her Brooklyn, N.Y., apartment. She's enjoying some time alone: "The puppets are probably still sleeping from their long night," she quipped. Her parrot, Colonel Mustard, who surprisingly can't muster a single intelligible word, perches nearby. "It's just like my Keith Richards puppet," she joked. "It just mumbles."

Look who's talking

Ventriloquism may seem like a risky, retro niche for an edgy, young comic, but it just might be on the rise again. There's Comedy Central star Jeff Dunham and his dummy, Peanut, as well as ventriloquist Terry Fator, who won the second season of "America's Got Talent."

Nevertheless, when Shayni Rae and her friends witnessed Rhodes' act in New York, they were left speechless. "We were just like, 'Who is this girl?'" said Rae, who hosts a popular weekly variety show at the National Underground, a Lower East Side bar owned by the eclectic singer Gavin DeGraw. She became one of the first New York promoters to book Rhodes.

"The puppetry aspect is one part, the ventriloquism part is another, and then there's being able to be funny and be a comedian without being cheesy," Rae marveled. "It's a pretty difficult thing. I certainly wouldn't try it."

Perhaps it helps that Rhodes isn't on stage alone, but with her wild characters.

She was drawn to her main dummy, Cecil, about five years ago, at the Vent Haven Ventriloquism Convention in Fort Mitchell, Ky.
In a ventriloquist dealer's showroom, "I saw Cecil's hand sticking out from underneath a table. The character came to me because up close he's very scary and his face is all cracked. His cheeks are red, and it looks like he is permanently drunk."

She imbued Cecil with some unique qualities: He always has licorice in his pocket, he harbors an Eleanor Roosevelt fetish, and he has a psycho-killer streak. Cecil's voice is slightly British, and sometimes it drops to a menacing whisper, like an insane voice in your head, as he threatens to kill the audience or rants about women.

"The whole thing is he's been in a suitcase since the '20s, and his character is a statement on how bad men were back then," she said. "He criticizes the fact that I have a job and wear pants. He's just like this weird guy from another time who has no clue about what's going on now — and doesn't like what's going on now."

While Cecil comes completely from Rhodes' vivid imagination, the blokes behind her other puppet partners have honed their hedonistic images in front of the world for half a century. Mumbly Keith and haughty Mick have been with Rhodes since her sophomore year in high school, when "I got hit with the classic rock 'n' roll bug," she said.

Her Stones puppets have even caught the attention of the genuine articles. Rhodes has met them several times, and was once summoned backstage by Jagger for a personal puppet performance right before a Rolling Stones show in Nashville, Tenn.
"It was very surreal; it was just off the cuff," she said. "They were super-cool. I've got a picture of Keith with the Keith puppet, and I've got a picture of me kissing Mick Jagger."

Careful with your kid's hobby!

In the early stages of her career, which started at 8, Rhodes had a whole different puppet gallery. Fred The Duck was her main sidekick when, at 13, she used to entertain at a local magic shop.

"He was based on Groucho Marx," Rhodes said. "His big crowd pleaser was laying an egg — and his leg would fall off instead."
How exactly does a young girl get interested in ventriloquism? At the age of 8, armed with some library books and an uncommon commitment, Rhodes began educating herself.

"I thought it was a good hobby at the time," said her father, Stephen Rhodes, who resides in Charlestown. Rhodes' mother, Ellen Hobbs, lives in Louisville. "That's all she ever wanted to do. I figured she'd continue to do it. We'd take her to the ventriloquism convention in Florence every year and even Las Vegas a couple years. She wore us out."

Rhodes practiced and performed all through school. She took inspiration from Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop, the children's puppeteer and '60s TV mainstay, and even struck up a correspondence with Lewis. Lewis' daughter, Mallory, took over Lamb Chop after her mother died in 1998 and has remained good friends with Rhodes.

"When I inherited Lamb Chop, I inherited Carla," said Mallory Lewis, "and I consider myself very lucky."

Rhodes attended college at Middle Tennessee State University, where she was the only student in her graduating class who also performed as a ventriloquist in New York over vacations. She was so eager to head to the city that she skipped her graduation ceremony to pack.

"I had wanted to live in New York since I was 12 years old or something," she says. "It was all I thought about, and it was all I wanted to do."

But she credits her hometown for influencing her fierce devotion to ventriloquism.

"It really gave me lots and lots of time to think and to figure things out, because I was really far out in the country," she said. "We couldn't even get cable TV or anything. There was lots of time to dream and use your imagination."

Where will that imagination lead her next? She's busy shopping her "Positively 5th Street" pilot to different buyers. In the meantime, Carla, Keith, Mick and Cecil are doing just fine. Rhodes is even thinking about allowing Cecil to formally meet Keith and Mick.

"I haven't experimented with that yet," she says. "I'm sure they party together when I'm not home."
Reporter Tamara Ikenberg can be reached at (502) 582-4174.

bilde_001.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)