Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Memo From Turner (Read 1,038 times)
StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Memo From Turner
May 12th, 2009 at 7:13am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Great song, but question for you.  I knew there were 2 different versions, one on Metamorphosis and one on The Singles Collection. However on Metamorphosis (the copy I have) the track is 7 minutes long and is two versions in one track.  The second version has the same vocal as the Singles Collection version but different backing track...

Does anyone have any info on these?

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

fuman
Ex Member

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: Memo From Turner
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2009 at 8:50am
I prefer the Ry Cooder version myself.

The non-Cooder versions are rough on my ears . . .

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2009 at 8:53am
fuman wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 8:50am:
I prefer the Ry Cooder version myself.

The non-Cooder versions are rough on my ears . . .

The Ry Cooder one is the slower, less distorted one, yes? Who plays on that one, is it Steve Winwood?

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #3 - May 12th, 2009 at 9:01am
Stones Fanatic:  A word to the wise.  You are posting a bit much for a newbie.  I'd ease into it a bit more.   Especially with starting threads.

Memo from Turner
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Single by Mick Jagger
from the album Performance
B-side      "Natural Magic"
Released      23 October 1970
Format      7", 45rpm
Recorded      September 1968, Olympic Studios, London
Genre      Rock
Length      4 min 09 s
Label      Decca Records
Writer(s)      Mick Jagger, Keith Richards
Producer      Jack Nitzsche
“Memo from Turner”
Song by The Rolling Stones
Album      Metamorphosis
Released      6 June 1975
Recorded      August 1968, Olympic Studios, London
Length      2:45
Writer      Jagger/Richards
Producer      Jimmy Miller

"Memo from Turner" is a song by the English rock and roll band The Rolling Stones. It was re-released in October 2007 on a seventeen-song retrospective compilation album The Very Best of Mick Jagger, making a re-appearance as a Jagger solo effort. After its original release in 1970, it had been included on Rolling Stones compilations, such as Singles Collection: The London Years as a track credited to Jagger/Richards songwriters.

Versions

There are two distinct versions of "Memo from Turner" in existence. The first released version of the song was the one recorded for the soundtrack to the movie Performance, starring Mick Jagger as the song title's "Turner". This is the more well-known version of the song, as it was released as a solo single by Jagger in England in 1970 and is featured on the later Singles Collection: The London Years. Jagger was contractually obligated to write the soundtrack song for the film he was also starring in. While Keith Richards was preparing material for what would be Let It Bleed, and ushering his then girlfriend and Performance co-star, Anita Pallenberg, to the film set, Jagger was unable to write a new song for the soundtrack.[1] Under a deadline to deliver a song to producers, he likely re-recorded a demo track from 1968, which was credited as a Jagger/Richards song, typical of all Rolling Stones collaborations. However, Richards neither played on nor co-wrote the song. [2] Ry Cooder is the guitarist playing on the soundtrack version.

The second version, released on Metamorphosis in 1975 on the Allen Klein Decca/London pre-existing legacy contracts of the Stones 1960s recordings, was the original demo recorded in November 1968. This version probably featured Brian Jones and Stevie Winwood of Traffic, or even Al Kooper, who also likely plays the song's keyboards. Either Charlie Watts or Jim Capaldi (also of Traffic) plays drums on this recording.

Besides the differing lineup between the two versions, there are also changes to the lyrics. The track was reviewed as Jagger:

...puts on his best drawling speak-sing voice for the lyrics, spinning bizarre mini-snapshots of decadent, cruel gangster behavior... The music isn't grim, though; it's more in a sly, ironic happy-go-lucky vein, as if to illustrate the callous, carefree glee gangsters take in such antics. It's not a celebration of the gangster mentality, though, so much as a subtle, mocking look at its decadence, with hints of repressed homosexuality and almost gruesome imagery of dog-eat-dog behavior." [3]

Ronnie Wood performed "Memo from Turner" live at various club gigs in 1987-88, including some of his shows with Bo Diddley. Martin Scorsese uses the track in a scene from Goodfellas where Ray Liotta's character Henry emerges from the house during the daylight on a cocaine binge.

[edit] Notes

1. ^ Hotchner, A.E. Blown Away: The Rolling Stones and the Death of the Sixties. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1990
   2. ^ "Memo from Turner. songfacts. 2007 (accessed 16 June 2007)
   3. ^ Unterberger, Richie. The Rolling Stones "Memo from Turner". allmusic. 2007 (accessed 16 June 2007

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

fuman
Ex Member

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2009 at 9:02am
I didn't know of a Winwood connection.

The Ry Cooder version has that amazing screechy slide guitar.
Not sure if it is on The Singles Collection, as I never bought it.

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #5 - May 12th, 2009 at 9:27am
Thanks for the info, Zack.  I should not post much since I'm new? There are rules for this??

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #6 - May 12th, 2009 at 10:20am
StonesFanatic wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 9:27am:
Thanks for the info, Zack.  I should not post much since I'm new? There are rules for this??

Certainly not! ask Ten Thousand Motels, or is it Two Thousand? (Just Kidding)
No, there's no rule on how many posts, but usually if it's a subject that can be brought up in a similar post already on here, that's what most do, but if it's original, that's different, I'm not the moderator, but I'm sure they go along with this.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2009 at 10:24am by Heart Of Stone »  

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #7 - May 12th, 2009 at 10:24am
StonesFanatic wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 9:27am:
Thanks for the info, Zack.  I should not post much since I'm new? There are rules for this??

No formal rules for posting etiquette, but I've seen lots of new members get carried away and start to piss people off by posting in every thread and starting a new thread for every thought that pops into their minds, then THEY get insulted and bugger off for good.  Less is more, you know.  Personally, but after seven years on this board, I've always tried not to post more than once or twice a day (the post counts all went back to zero with a change of site address in April 08).   Not that you've started a lot of threads; I'm just sayin' . . . Cool

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #8 - May 12th, 2009 at 11:10am
Gotcha.  I'm active on a lot of messageboards so I know some manners! I'll try to behave here!  Cool

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #9 - May 12th, 2009 at 11:42am
Zack is spot on. Please refer to chapter 16, Section 8, Paragraph 3.5, Subsection Zebra Aught Two of your "Rocks Off Posting" Manual, which reads:

"Newbie posters are confined to starting approximately no more two threads per week, and should not exceed a daily post count of 15, until that time at which they are officially hazed and accepted by the old guard. Said hazing should include, but not be limited to, the following:

-listening to the entire "hotel california" album whilst being locked in a small, confined space.
-kicking in $20 to help pay off pug's "hogs n honies" bill.
-run through the ROCC "spanking line".
-attend two classes at the howe military academy.
-being forced to read the entire politics thread.

Then...and only then...a jedi will you be.

oh yes....and you must removed that "stones ruled until 1974" tag unter your avatar. how ghey is that?
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2009 at 11:43am by Starbuck »  

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #10 - May 12th, 2009 at 11:54am
Starbuck wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 11:42am:
Zack is spot on. Please refer to chapter 16, Section 8, Paragraph 3.5, Subsection Zebra Aught Two of your "Rocks Off Posting" Manual, which reads:

"Newbie posters are confined to starting approximately no more two threads per week, and should not exceed a daily post count of 15, until that time at which they are officially hazed and accepted by the old guard. Said hazing should include, but not be limited to, the following:

-listening to the entire "hotel california" album whilst being locked in a small, confined space.

oh yes....and you must removed that "stones ruled until 1974" tag unter your avatar. how ghey is that?

What a post Ronnie!!!!!

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2009 at 12:57pm
>Certainly not! ask Ten Thousand Motels, or is it Two Thousand? (Just Kidding)<

Don't ask me....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2_p1pfpLWQ&feature=related

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #12 - May 12th, 2009 at 6:52pm
Lazy Bones wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 11:54am:
Starbuck wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 11:42am:

What a post Ronnie!!!!!

QUESTION: Has She/He been GREETED?!?

It is certainly not MY place to GREET him/her...but I will say welcome to the psycho ward!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)