Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why the Rolling Stones ruled the Seventies (Read 1,621 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Why the Rolling Stones ruled the Seventies
May 12th, 2009 at 4:08am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Why the Rolling Stones ruled the Seventies

It was in the Sixties that the Rolling Stones first found global fame – but a magnificent new clutch of re-releases from the Seventies confirms it was then that Mick, Keef and the boys struck artistic gold.

By Neil McCormick
3:20PM BST 11 May 2009
Telegraph.co.uk

Universal Music recently announced the imminent release of "14 remastered classic albums" from the Rolling Stones. It is a laughable claim. They may well be The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World (a title they conferred upon themselves when introducing live shows in the late Sixties), but I don't know if anyone but the most rabid fan could name more than a handful of Stones albums still worth listening to in their entirety, particularly when the list of the latest reissues excludes their Sixties heyday.

Yet, the imminent first batch of re-releases from the Seventies (Sticky Fingers, Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock N Roll and Black and Blue) serve as a potent reminder of exactly why the Stones have endured. For a golden period, they released a series of albums almost untouchable in the pop pantheon as examples of free-flowing, high-spirited, elegantly extemporised blues, country and rock and roll. And, it was the replacement of the increasingly dysfunctional multi-instrumentalist Brian Jones with lyrical, technically audacious, young guitarist Mick Taylor (19 when he joined) that resulted in that golden period.

Keith Richards is an economical guitarist, who squeezes out a lot of non-standard tunings and unusual chord voicings. In Taylor, he suddenly had a guitarist foil who was technically far superior, providing subtle licks and fluid lead solos, so that the tracks are always moving, shifting into new places.

With Bill Wyman's slippery, funky bass and Charlie Watts's spare, syncopated drumming, the Seventies Stones stopped trying to be pop stars and just started enjoying the freedom to express themselves. These are albums where the feel is more important than the songs. There is no real sense of artifice, it is as if the producer (Jimmy Miller on the best of them) has found a way to eavesdrop, catching the spirit of live, improvised sessions.

On these albums, the Stones are buoyed by a supporting cast of top session musicians, including jazzy keyboard player Billy Preston and virtuoso saxophonist Bobby Keys, all of whom are given licence to step to the fore, the supporting players turning tracks like Can't You Hear Me Knocking (from Sticky Fingers) and Fingerprints File (from the less cohesive It's Only Rock N Roll) into wildly exciting blowouts.

These are clever musicians who can groove on one chord without it ever becoming dull. And, as if inspired by the sense of freedom, Jagger proves himself an extremely brave singer, bending his voice in Van Morrisson-esque flights of extemporisation.

Everything he tries seems to come off, from squeaky soul falsettos to baritone country croons. On a series of gorgeous ballads (including Wild Horses, Angie and the unsurpassed Fool to Cry) the Stones conjure a kind of mournful, tender arrangement of electric pianos, silvery guitar notes and dirty, half-cocked vocal harmonising between Mick and Keith. The run of albums from Sticky Fingers (1971), Exile on Main Street (the pick of the bunch from 1972, although its re-release is being delayed until later this year) and Goats Head Soup (1973) are scintillating.

It's Only Rock N Roll is more uneven, while Black and Blue (on which they auditioned new guitarists following the departure of Taylor) is a last hurrah, more groove based, with disco overtones and a thickly layered production that points towards a less live, more technical studio approach.

After this, the decline is marked. For a few years, Stones albums still turn up great songs (although many were leftovers from prodigious early-Seventies sessions) but the Stones never recorded with this kind of freedom and near telepathic cohesiveness again. Even the album graphics get steadily worse, the band photos more awkward.

So what went wrong? It would be unfair to blame the decline of the Stones on Ronnie Wood (who only features on three tracks of Black And Blue, but is ever-present thereafter), though he must surely shoulder some blame. By the standards of really great musicians, Wood is pedestrian. Brought in essentially because he was Keith's mate, he is a guitarist very much in the mould of Richards, and the two have a tendency to mirror each other's licks rather than drawing each other out. It's a subtle thing. People don't necessarily listen to Stones albums for the guitar solos but the grooves of those classic records are kept alive by a sheer quality of musical interplay that is sadly absent from latter-day performances.

In truth, the decline of the Stones probably reflects the shift in power from Richards to Jagger, as the former effectively abdicated creative responsibility through his increasingly debilitating drug and alcohol abuse and the attendant lifestyle distractions, a litany of arrests, court cases, accidents and deaths. Before he left in 1991, Bill Wyman characterised the problem with later Stones records as "Mick wanted hits, Keith couldn't give a ----".

Jagger has kept the band going as a moneymaking enterprise with his energy, intelligence and showmanship, but musically, the Stones need some inspiration. If their superstar egos could cope, it would be interesting to see them in a studio with a strong, old fashioned producer like Rick Rubin, who focuses on performances, perhaps with an inspirational younger guitarist like Jack White as a creative springboard. Perhaps, the Stones are too old, too rich, and don't really care anymore.

And perhaps it doesn't matter. Because, as these re-releases attest, they have already done their bit. When you put the best of these records on, loud and proud, they sound as fresh and spirited as if they were recorded yesterday

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: Why the Rolling Stones ruled the Seventies
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2009 at 10:21am
So..has this guy heard these new remasters as he "alludes" to at the end?...if so wish he would have critiqued any actual remastering done....somehow I doubt it as this whole piece has a cut and paste feel to it.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2009 at 1:23pm
An interesting read...agree with some, not with other bits, and I agree, it seems very cut-and-paste...some info on the remasters would be nice.

I am curious as to why Exile is getting its own re-issue...sweet bonus material?
And whether the remasters will be worth shelling out $$ for based on the sound...

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #3 - May 12th, 2009 at 1:37pm
StonesFanatic wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 1:23pm:
An interesting read...agree with some, not with other bits, and I agree, it seems very cut-and-paste...some info on the remasters would be nice.

I am curious as to why Exile is getting its own re-issue...sweet bonus material?
And whether the remasters will be worth shelling out $$ for based on the sound...

Exile is being held back as 'part of wider plans' for it's reissue - as yet these are unspecified.

See this thread on the remasters - http://rocksoff.org/messageboard/YaBB.pl?num=1239852911

In their infinite wisdom, Universal have decided that the remastered GHS should include the 'censored' version of 'Star Star'.  Angry

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #4 - May 12th, 2009 at 1:40pm
Gazza wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 1:37pm:

Exile is being held back as 'part of wider plans' for it's reissue - as yet these are unspecified.

See this thread on the remasters - http://rocksoff.org/messageboard/YaBB.pl?num=1239852911

In their infinite wisdom, Universal have decided that the remastered GHS should include the 'censored' version of 'Star Star'.  Angry

I'd already read that thread...was just musing on what they (may) have up their sleeve with regards to Exile...

I also heard about the censored Starfucker....so I probably won't re-buy that one!

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2009 at 2:05pm
Gazza wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 1:37pm:

In their infinite wisdom, Universal have decided that the remastered GHS should include the 'censored' version of 'Star Star'.  Angry

This whole Star Fucker fiasco is the ultimate sign that the Stones just don't care as much about their legacy as some of their fans do. I mean I know that Mick is a "don't look back" kind of guy, but one would think that Keith would stand up and say, "Hell no you won't!" But alas, even Keith has become a fat rich man that could care less about actually standing up for the right to piss a few people off. As the famous Nigel Tufnell once said, "What's wrong with sexy?"

That they would allow such an ass kicking song like SF get neutered is pathetic beyond words!

Riffy

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2009 at 2:13pm
"But alas, even Keith has become a fat rich man that could care less about actually standing up for the right to piss a few people off."

Who knows what he's thinkg? Sometimes you just gotta choose your battles and come back to fight another day.

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #7 - May 12th, 2009 at 2:41pm
i have never heard this "censored" starfucker of which you speak.

is it an instrumental version?

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #8 - May 12th, 2009 at 2:46pm
Macca, get out your original GHS vinyl.
Turn the way back machine to Winter '73
Light up a fatty-play the music
You will wish you wrote this.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #9 - May 12th, 2009 at 2:51pm
nellie, is it me or are all the players in the majors juiced up except the guys that play for the twins?  (see: current standings)

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2009 at 3:14pm
Starbuck wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 2:51pm:
nellie, is it me or are all the players in the majors juiced up except the guys that play for the twins?  (see: current standings)

off topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtTNK5HZ84A&feature=related
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2009 at 3:57pm by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2009 at 3:50pm
Hell...........why DID the Rolling Stones rule the 70"s? I don't see how the guy answered the question.
you made a grown man cry

The Rolling Stones rule............period.

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2009 at 3:57pm by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #12 - May 12th, 2009 at 4:05pm
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 3:14pm:
Starbuck wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 2:51pm:
nellie, is it me or are all the players in the majors juiced up except the guys that play for the twins?  (see: current standings)

off topic

heh...dude...your whole life is off topic!

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - May 12th, 2009 at 4:16pm
be nice

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - May 12th, 2009 at 4:39pm
Tumbled wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 4:16pm:
be nice

God knows I've tried to be nice.....but they keep pushing....pushing....pushing...and pushing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F16BPH8PyH8

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #15 - May 12th, 2009 at 5:54pm
Tumbled wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 4:16pm:
be nice

come on...it's motels, fer chrissakes! dude walks around with a target on his back the size of tele's sluffed off bar bill.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #16 - May 12th, 2009 at 6:11pm
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 3:50pm:
The Rolling Stones rule............period.

Agree.

And the John Fogerty era Stones is my favorite.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #17 - May 13th, 2009 at 6:22am
Starbuck wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 2:41pm:
i have never heard this "censored" starfucker of which you speak.

is it an instrumental version?

Lol..the most absurd thing about the censorship was not the insistence by Atlantic that the Stones change the song title, but the fact that the original US version of the album left in the word 'starfucker' (which is repeated about 50 times), but the one reference to a 'pussy' got edited out.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #18 - May 13th, 2009 at 7:21am
The reference to John Wayne was edited out originally, too, wasn't it?

I cannot believe they are editing Starfucker in 2009, especially with all of the vulgar rap "music" that is out these days...who is it going to offend?

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #19 - May 13th, 2009 at 7:25am
StonesFanatic wrote on May 13th, 2009 at 7:21am:

I cannot believe they are editing Starfucker in 2009, especially with all of the vulgar rap "music" that is out these days...who is it going to offend?

it offends pussies.

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #20 - May 13th, 2009 at 7:26am
Some Guy wrote on May 13th, 2009 at 7:25am:
StonesFanatic wrote on May 13th, 2009 at 7:21am:

it offends pussies.

:smile

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)