Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scary Robert Johnson Video (Read 339 times)
Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Blackwater, Hampshire
Scary Robert Johnson Video
May 7th, 2009 at 3:16pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Scary Robert Johnson Video
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2009 at 4:18pm
Honey boy will tell you what happened to Robert Johnson he was around when he was poisoned. go to minute 4.0 where he starts telling the story. He was messing around with a man's wife.
She told him she was going to see her sister but she was going to see Robert at Greenwood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U1o4sHC6ug

I will transcribe the story he tells.  He was 22 at the time. (in his 80's now)

I know he got poisoned I know that. Because I was there the night that he got poisoned
Well me and Sonny Boy or Rice Willem #1(?) We was out there that night. We had been playing in town on Greenwood over there at the IC Depot.  We used to sit out there on the steps. Play out there and Robert had went on out there to Three Fork Cloudy at night then they'd blink their lights we had to get out of the street at 9 or 10 oclock at night Greenwood.  At that time,  and we went out there Robert was out there/  He was sitting in the corner withhis guitar he had started going with the man's wife been playing out there 6 months .. and this man had a sister lived in greenwood . His wife had a sister lived backin town. Robert got over to Baptistown died over that way

So every mondy morning she had to go out there to see her sister but she was going to see Robert. And a small town like Greenwood, ......  ....... you know I know Greenwood a
An old home place.

You say I saw Robert walking down the street with your wife,  Walking down Johnson street the go right by the country too  so he knowed it.

But he didn't want to kill Roberrt at the time because if you killed a person you was going to the state pentitentary ___ on the farm,  and he didn't want to go that way he wanted to get Robert out of the way easy you know. ... so this ___

Robert loved whiskey and womens I know that he was crazy about whiskey and women
and some womens you gotta leave alone now you know what I mean. Cause you got more women friends that got men friends and a lot of women pull with musicians but don't listen to them but your man might just want you for a friend, but you don't believe it sometimes SHE don't want you but he dont' believe that  so you gotta leave it alone b/c it hurts sometime cuz some men got a women they don't want to lose that's what this man he didn't want to lose, he had a a good little woman and he didn't want to loserher and Robert might have taken her from himhe didn't want to lose her.  So he gave the women ...His Waitress gave him a pint of corn whiskey that night sat it down near the chair where he sat there. when I got there, 1/2 of iwas gone sitting there, got about 1/2 drunk; he had drank 1/2 of it was gone people got there, Play the blues, play the blues, some poeople from out of town want to hear the blues

he said well I don't feel good
they thought that he dranked a lot of whiskey and he needed another drink
you need another drinktake another drink they kept on til they found out out that he WAS sick

I was 22 years.
I didn't go over there
I was running after those girls
I didn't go that monday, I went there Tuesday and Robert was really sick that Tuesday

I went over there Tuesday.  He died on a Wednesday on August 17, 1938.  August 17, 1938.

He was buried the same day that he died.  Cause he didn't have no insurance and the County put him in the ground the same day.  [Out there Mt. Zion?]  and the next day his sister come and dug him up and put him a casket and put him back down in the ground.  His sister came from from Chicago and she buried and put him back in the ground.  In that day you could get a good [one] for $200-300 but she had a job saved up a little money ....that depression    She dug him up and put him back in the ground.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2009 at 5:09pm by Tumbled »  

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Scary Robert Johnson Video
Reply #2 - May 7th, 2009 at 11:31pm
Robert Johnson’s Greatest Hits — By Cream, Zeppelin, the Stones & Fleetwood Mac
Ted Drozdowski | 05.07.2009
Gibson.com
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/robert-johnsons-hits-507/

Robert Johnson — who was born 98 years ago on May 8 — was tagged by Columbia Records as the “King of the Delta Blues Singers.” That’s debatable, with figures like Son House and Charley Patton also competing for that crown.

What’s certain is that Johnson is the godfather of rock and roll. It’s no surprise that virtually every prominent blues artist, as well as every bar band in the genre, has recorded or performed at least one Johnson song. But in rock, his influence has spanned styles and decades that the Mississippi master who was murdered at age 27 never lived to hear or imagine.

Eric Clapton, Rory Block and Peter Green have all made albums of Johnson songs, and Johnny Winter, Muddy Waters and a host of blues performers have put their mark on his catalog. But here’s a list of versions of Robert Johnson numbers that proves just how daring and wide-ranging the blues can be, and how strong and flexible the musical foundation he laid remains today:

“Malted Milk,” Some Girls, featuring Juliana Hatfield: Perhaps the least likely group to ever cover a Johnson tune, preppy alt-rock heroine Juliana Hatfield’s Some Girls band recorded this one for 2003’s Feel It. Asked how she related to the song, Hatfield deadpanned, “I beat my woman until I feel satisfied.”

“Crossroads,” Cream: Eric Clapton’s soaring adaptation of Johnson’s “Cross Road Blues” remains one of the cornerstones of the classic rock era, although by all rights perhaps Cream was actually the first jam band. The tune appeared on the group’s third release, 1968’s two-LP Wheels of Fire.

“Hellhound on My Trail,” Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac: Decades later Green recorded an entire album of Johnson covers with his Splinter Group, and he cut “Walking Blues” and “Cross Road Blues” down the line with the Mac, but on this eponymous 1968 debut he announced his intention to put his own mark on the classics by recording with his piano and voice — no guitar.

“Love in Vain,” the Rolling Stones: Jagger’s laconic singing, Keith Richards’ slide, the whole song’s dark molasses delivery — this key track from 1969’s Let It Bleed provides a glimpse into the soulful inspiration of one of the world’s greatest rock and roll bands.

“Come On In My Kitchen,” Steve Miller Band: This acoustic performance from Miller’s classic 1973 The Joker — a fairly direct translation of Johnson’s original — is a potent reminder of his blues roots, the springboard for his pop hit-making.

“Preaching the Blues,” the Gun Club: Son House’s song got filtered through Johnson to land in the repertoire of the Gun Club, progenitors of today’s punk-blues movement. This radical, whip-cracking remake with Tasering slide guitar from 1981’s Fire of Love may be the most intense, high-energy take on Johnson after Cream’s “Crossroads.”

“Traveling Riverside Blues,” Led Zeppelin: More a rambling pastiche of this title plus “Come On in My Kitchen” and “Kind Hearted Woman,” Zeppelin tore into this performance on the BBC in 1969. It finally appeared on 1990’s Led Zeppelin box, and features a ripping open G riff from Jimmy Page. And it’s a perfect example of how a great band expands blues themes while keeping the music’s spirit intact.

“They’re Red Hot,” Red Hot Chili Peppers: A punk-funk arrangement stretches Johnson’s ragtime number, which closes the Peppers’ 1991 classic Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Nuthin’ bluesy about it. It’s silly as Flea’s bright blue hair.

“Stop Breaking Down,” White Stripes: This Detroit duo bared its roots more on their 1999 eponymous debut. And this version of Johnson’s lament has a whinnying, shimmying clomp that splits the difference between CBGB and the Delta.

“Terraplane Blues,” Foghat: These Brits recorded “Sweet Home Chicago,” too, but when it comes to unrestrained blues-rock slide guitar swagger, it’s hard to beat this tune from 1975’s hit album Fool for the City.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2009 at 11:41pm by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)