Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rate Bob Marley's catalog (NSC) (Read 435 times)
Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Rate Bob Marley's catalog (NSC)
May 1st, 2009 at 6:38am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Had a Bob Marley Night last night and was astonished at how well they stand up.  So I propose to do a buying guide like in Mojo magazine, let me know if you agree:  

Essential-Indispensable:

Survival.  I put this first because it's by far Marley's most underrated album, astonishing from start to finish but strangely overlooked.  This is the most political album that takes on the black man's plight around the world, not just in Jamaica.  Not one song on Legend, but the song Zimbabwe inspired a revolution for goodness sake.  Record company made him remove "Black" from the title.

Burnin'.  Second, and stronger of just two albums by the original Wailers.  Beautiful remakes of pre-Island tracks provide insight into Jamaican culture, Bunny's two excellent contributions make this the most spiritual album in the catalog, Tosh's One Foundation is my favorite song of his ever.  Rastaman Chant is what reggae is all about in three minutes.  I Shot the Sheriff important launch pad by not the strongest track by far.

Natty Dread.  Incredible recovery from loss of Bunny and Peter, a virtual greatest hits on one album.  One of the supposed fillers, Bend Down Low is my favorite Marley song of all time.

Uprising.  Though in much physical pain, this is Marley's most mature effort, and reflects influences of his celebrity and worldliness.   Best sounding album in the catalog, Redemption Song among the most poignant ever.  

Very good, worth having

Catch a Fire.  Brilliant debut even without overdubs (didn't Wayne Perkins play guitar?).  Opening tracks an amazing statement of purpose and unprecedented cry from what most of the album's audience thought was a happy place where tourists went to drink rum punches on the beach.  Sex, violence, and revolution all seamlessly woven together into one astonishing package.  

Confrontation.  Possibly the greatest posthumous album of leftovers from a dead artist ever.  Opening track originally wanted to "burn down" Babylon but had to be toned down.  Album worth having for the "we've got the herb" chorus in Jump Nyabinghi alone.  I Know gave a hint of where Bob might have gone had he lived.  I-Threes' strongest contribution here.

Exodus.  One of the greatest albums to make love to ever.  One Love is among the greatest songs of any genre.  Bob was long due for an international breakthrough, and while not his strongest album, was worthy of the adulation.

Good, but not great.

Rastaman Vibration.  Strangely dry sounding, and lacking in truly inspirational songs.  War a little too militant for my taste.

Kaya.  Aside from the monumental Is This Love, is just a little too mellow to be great, though still a good listen on a Sunday morning.  

Albums to avoid.

None

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2009 at 6:40am by Zack »  

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Rate Bob Marley's catalog (NSC)
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2009 at 6:56am
Good summary, Zack.

All of the albums he made for Island /Tuff Gong for that period from 1972 on are worth getting.

I'd put the first 3 - Catch A Fire, Burnin' and Natty Dread - in the indispensable category, along with Exodus.

Throw in the "Live!" album from 1975 as well. One of the greatest live releases by anyone.

Would have crawled across cut glass to have seen him perform had he still been around. Hard to believe its 28 years ago next week that he died. A towering figure in the history of music. Cant really think of anyone since whose impact on spreading a particular form of music to a worldwide audience has been as huge.

After Dylan and De Niro, he's my favourite 'Bob'.....

Bob, Mick, Peter Tosh - New York June 1978
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2009 at 6:59am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2009 at 10:55am
some of marleys early early stuf isn't that good.  babylon by bus is a must have..it is just full of great tunes.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2009 at 12:09pm
Quote:
some of marleys early early stuf isn't that good.  

Like what?

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2009 at 12:23pm
Zack wrote on May 2nd, 2009 at 12:09pm:
Quote:
some of marleys early early stuf isn't that good.  

Like what?  

the early early 2- 2 1/2 minute songs he did before he became a superstar.  i don't remember the names of them.  there's a whole bunch tho.

IP Logged

Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

New York
Reply #5 - May 4th, 2009 at 1:07am
Agree re Survival being underrated. I like most everything BMW put out, even the early ska/r&b/doo-woppy Studio One stuff, but my favorite would the late '60s - early '70s pre-Island material: Soul Rebel, Caution, Lick Samba, Hammer, Feel Alright, Jah Is Mighty, Hypocrites...

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2009 at 9:35am
Natty Dread
Catch A Fire
Burnin'

One of the wisest things I've ever done was celebrate my birthday a day early on May 1, 1976 by seeing him at the Beacon. Love that Bob!

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #7 - May 4th, 2009 at 11:15am
Zack wrote on May 1st, 2009 at 6:38am:
Though in much physical pain, this is Marley's most mature effort

Nice comma splice!  Every time I picked up the record, it said "Ow mon, dat fe hurt I, yunno?"

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2009 at 1:53pm
GotToRollMe wrote on May 4th, 2009 at 9:35am:
Natty Dread
Catch A Fire
Burnin'

One of the wisest things I've ever done was celebrate my birthday a day early on May 1, 1976 by seeing him at the Beacon. Love that Bob!

Gonna have to change em to:

Natty Dread,
Catch A Fire, and
Exodus - "Waiting In Vain" alone is worth the price of the record
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2009 at 1:55pm by GotToRollMe »  

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #9 - May 11th, 2009 at 1:10pm
Today marks 28 years since we lost Bob.

RIP, good Sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd1CQEtrQMY

smoking more weed is good for your health

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)