Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shakey ......................................... (Read 740 times)
Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Shakey .........................................
Apr 30th, 2009 at 8:27am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

......................... ! ™

" Neil Young looked old when he took the stage. "

" Balding and chubby with long, gray hair, Young lumbered onto the stage Wednesday night in a purple flannel sweater, jeans and boots, with an ever-present grimace on his face.

But despite a curmudgeonly air, Young’s music sounded every bit as youthful as when he started his music career in the 1960s.

Fans at Qwest Center Omaha heard everything from that decade on, showing their approval by singing every word to "Cinnamon Girl" and "The Needle and the Damage Done."

In addition to those songs, Young played his hits during the two-hour set (with the notable exception of "Keep on Rockin’ In the Free World"). Fans got a taste of "Mother Earth," "Old Man," "Unknown Legend," "Heart of Gold" and "Are You Ready For the Country?"

Long guitar jams in between verses stretched songs like "Change Your Mind" and "Tonight’s the Night" past the 10-minute mark. The crowd reacted favorably, cheering after especially impressive guitar solos from Young and guitarist Ben Keith.

Keith, Young’s wife, Pegi, and three additional band members joined Young on stage. In addition the band, a man stood at the back of the stage and painted on canvas, starting and finishing paintings of a dragon, skulls and a pig during Young’s set.

The band played several songs from Young’s recently released album "Fork In The Road." The crowd didn’t know the words as well, but the songs sounded at home with his other material.

It was unfortunate only 6,000-plus people saw the legendary rocker.

The arena’s upper bowl was mostly curtained off and patches of empty seats dotted the lower bowl.

Among those in attendance: quite a few folks in their twenties and thirties that hadn’t been born when Young started making music. But others were lifelong fans, wearing T-shirts from long-past tours and sporting lengthy gray hair, beards and leather jackets. A few men in the crowd looked like Young, with sideburns and ponytails.

Also bearing some signs of age - but still sounding out with youthful vibrancy - was the band’s equipment. The stage was littered with beat up pianos, guitars and amplifiers that looked like Young’s band had used them his whole career, but the music didn’t suffer at all.

Wearing a scowl on his face most of the night, Young finally broke into a smile about a minute into "Heart of Gold," when he stopped the song, saying he "didn’t sing it right."

"I’m fired. I’m fired. I need a bailout," he said to laughter from the crowd. "Let’s do it right. We’re in Omaha, right?"

The concert originally had been scheduled for November 2008, but was postponed. Young, a political activist throughout his career, apologized for having to reschedule.

"How ya’ doin? Nice to see ya," Young said. "Sorry we couldn’t make it last time. I hope we didn’t put you through too much trouble. Some rocket scientists booked us on election night."

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2620&u_sid=10622670

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2009 at 8:28am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Re: Shakey .......................................
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 8:48am
Neil is one of our success stories from Canada here, even though he had to go to the States to get 'known sort of speak, I recently read Randy Bachman book "Taking Care Of Business" & mentions Neil & himself growing up in Winnipeg, when Neil had a band called The Squires, he came to Toronto & played in Yorkville (Toronto's answer to Haigh Ashbury) district in the late 60's.
I thought at first (Joey being a big Who fan) that it was going be MaryAnne with the shakey hands.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 9:12am
neil got tarped and omaha'd.................

you made a grown man cry

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 9:39am
Neil got tarped at MSG too. (I've discussed this Mojo offline) 400's were closed off. And the 300's werent at full capacity.

worst part was that all the old farts in the house sat the ENTIRE show. During Cinnamon Girl Neil circled the stage franticly waving, urging everyone to get up and no one even blinked. Everyone just remained arms folded, seated. It was sad.

I went back to MSG the very next night and Oasis had the entire place going nuts. Packed to the gills.

I think Neil's tix are too pricey and thats why his sales were down. And those that can afford them have already put their kids thru college and are approaching retirement. Doesnt make for a "lively" audience.

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 11:35am
Joey wrote on Apr 30th, 2009 at 9:41am:
" I went back to MSG the very next night and Oasis had the entire place going nuts. Packed to the gills.  "

This makes young Joey very sad .

Why would ANYONE see Oasis when they can attend a Rolling Stones , Macca or WHO gig ?!

Why ?!

WHY ?!

Joey,do not include The Who on that list....Roger Daltry CANNOT sing anymore. Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2009 at 11:36am by sweetcharmedlife »  

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 10:00pm
04-29-09: Omaha ; Neil Young & His Electric Band
unconfirmed

Mr. Soul / When You Dance I Can Really Love / Fuel Line / Are You Ready For The Country? / When Worlds Collide / Pocahontas / Spirit Road / Change Your Mind / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / The Needle And The Damage Done / Light A Candle / Unknown Legend / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Speakin' Out / Tonight's The Night / Down By The River / Get Behind The Wheel / Just Singing A Song // A Day In The Life

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2009 at 9:23am
Joey wrote on Apr 30th, 2009 at 10:00pm:
04-29-09: Omaha ; Neil Young & His Electric Band
unconfirmed

Mr. Soul / When You Dance I Can Really Love / Fuel Line / Are You Ready For The Country? / When Worlds Collide / Pocahontas / Spirit Road / Change Your Mind / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / The Needle And The Damage Done / Light A Candle / Unknown Legend / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Speakin' Out / Tonight's The Night / Down By The River / Get Behind The Wheel / Just Singing A Song // A Day In The Life

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

looks like neil delivered again!!!!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2009 at 1:32pm

" looks like neil delivered again !!! "

mojo ....................................

It was one of the greatest concerts that I have EVER seen !!!!!!!!!!!

Word .

O'kins

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2009 at 1:44pm
r Joey wrote on May 2nd, 2009 at 1:32pm:
" looks like neil delivered again !!! "

mojo ....................................

It was one of the greatest concerts that I have EVER seen !!!!!!!!!!!

Word .

O'kins

The Force will be with you, always

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)