Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Supposedly dry Rolling Stones abide (Read 502 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Supposedly dry Rolling Stones abide
Apr 10th, 2009 at 8:13am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Supposedly dry Rolling Stones abide
By Rod Filbrandt
Straight.com
April 9, 2009

It would have made a great reality show: The Rolling Stones Go for a Physical. Unfortunately, or perhaps mercifully, we'll never really know what that trip to the doctor's office would have looked like, but I'll give you a moment to shudder in horror at the mental picture anyway.

There you go.

After starting with a February 2009 news report that Ronnie Wood has been warned to stop boozing by the band, the show goes something like this. To get tour insurance, the Stones have to pass a medical exam. They don't think Ronnie Wood is going to cut it. He failed in 2002, quit the sauce, then passed. As fate would have it, the seven-time rehab veteran has since relapsed hard and repeatedly, to the point that his stretches of sobriety probably look a lot like what most people would call sleep.

Keith Richards has been the one to give the 61-year-old wet-brain the ultimatum: quit drinking or you're out of the band. Then Keith goes drinking. Just the mention of quitting something is enough to require the immediate topping-up of his irony tank. Actually, what's surprising is that the word “quit” is even in his vocabulary, or, given his legendary gibbering Keith-speak, the word “vocabulary”, for that matter.

Wood passes the physical and ends up in the “not currently drinking” file. And that's just shaky enough to restore my faith in rock 'n' roll—if not the Stones.

With Sir Mick hanging out at garden parties, admiring the ice sculptures with Elton John, and Charlie Watts no longer piggybacking a junk monkey, it seems that only Richards still has a solid grip on being an unrepentant fuck-up. Wood might not quite have the party chops to keep up, but come on—at least he's trying.

That's all we can ask. Though long since irrelevant musically, these crusty old reptile delinquents are nevertheless making everybody else look bad, rock 'n' rollers decades their junior bobbing about in their greasy wake like so many empty lite-beer cans. A glance at today's big-league rockers finds little more than a shameful roster of poseurs, quitters, and unabashed yoga enthusiasts. And I bet that not one of them has snorted his dad.

Is the out-of-control rock star a vanishing archetype? Is Pete Doherty the best we have? Am I going to have to look him up one of these days and find out who the hell he is? He certainly looks like shit on those tabloid covers. At least Shane McGowan kicked plenty of musical buttock before turning into a puddle of puke. Next to the old pros, Doherty looks like a naughty kid who got into daddy's liquor cabinet and his mom's cocaine hutch.

Historically, most hard-partying bands seem more an example of protracted adolescence than anything. Why not? You're in a band, you're young, famous, and probably stupid. It's a great combination. Go nuts. But don't let us down. Don't get all Mötley Crüe on us and make a career out of bragging about your shenanigans. Besides, who says you need to be in a band to go the Peter Pan route? I could do that. Ahem.

Of course, there's always death, the true measure of whether you can cut it or not. Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Brian Jones, Johnny Thunders, Kurt Cobain—lightweights. The trick, really, is to somehow look dead while not actually being dead. Kind of like the Stones, or at least the two Stones who are still out there stumbling about like crazy rock stars. Richards and Wood remain the standard-bearers, the textbook-writers, and with every year survived, with every freaky new face crease and every inevitable relapse, they are boldly charting wild and untamed territory. Somebody's gotta do it—and I bet it's thirsty work. Not to mention what would inarguably be must-see TV.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Re: Supposedly dry Rolling Stones abide
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 8:21am
Meet the Claw: U2’s Massive New Stage Set
Toward the end of U2’s last tour, in November 2006, longtime show director Willie Williams presented the band with sketches of a four-legged monster — a massive structure with speakers mounted on each side that would allow the group to play stadium shows in the round. On the new U2 360° Tour, which hits the U.S. beginning September 12th, in Chicago (and kicks off in Barcelona, on June 30th), Williams’ vision will finally come to life. “The band is just sitting in the palm of the audience’s hand,” says Williams. “It really works.” Adds Bono, “It creates this real physical proximity to the crowd.”

The U.S. dates (13 cities this fall, and then another leg in spring 2010) will be U2’s first stadium shows here since their troubled PopMart Tour — and in a nod to the economic crisis, tickets will be priced as low as $30. “Once the engineering had been devised, it obviously has the effect of expanding the capacity of the stadiums,” says U2 manager Paul McGuinness. “And it enables us to subsidize lower-priced tickets with higher-priced tickets.” Adds drummer Larry Mullen Jr., “Will we sell it out? Who knows? Will the economic situation have an impact? Probably. But that’s not going to stop us.” With 120 trucks needed just to cart the stage around, the tour will be U2’s most expensive ever — the band will defray costs in part by taking on a corporate sponsor for the first time, BlackBerry. (Conscious of its environmental impact, the group will be purchasing carbon offsets.)

U2 have already had a chance to play live versions of several songs from No Line on the Horizon, which came out on March 3rd — their promotional blitz included an entire week on the David Letterman show, as well as a March 11th theater gig just outside of Boston. The band is also shooting a video for the album’s second single, “Magnificent” — among the candidates for future singles are “Breathe” and “Moment of Surrender.”

Bono hopes the tour will be more than just a spectacle. “We want to play for each other as much as we want to play for the crowd this time,” he says. “You just don’t know how long you are going to be doing this. When we walk out onstage, the hairs on people’s necks go up — but what people don’t know is that the hairs on our necks go up too.”

Meet the Claw: U2’s Massive New Stage Set

Inspiration: U2 show director Willie Williams got the idea for the in-the-round set (nicknamed “the Claw”) from the futuristic, Disney-style Theme Building at LAX: It looks like a spaceship on four legs.

Structure: At 164 feet tall, the Claw, Williams says, is twice as high as the previous largest stadium stage set, from the Rolling Stones’ A Bigger Bang tour. “Theirs would fit underneath this one,” he says.

Sound System: Each of the Claw’s four sides will have its own full-size sound system — each powerful enough for an entire arena. There will also be 72 separate subwoofers.

Logistics: Currently being assembled in pieces around the world, the set will be made of solid steel — 120 trucks will cart it from show to show.

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 8:26am
Stay on topic Some Guy. .... at least for awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhHODhTIvgo

Let's go get drunk You rock! Better seen on weed!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 9:15am
what was the topic again?

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 9:21am
Some Guy wrote on Apr 10th, 2009 at 9:15am:
what was the topic again?

What is this? A mental excerise to help increase my concentration span?

Beer Empty Fill it Up. I can concentrate.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 10:10am
"his stretches of sobriety probably look a lot like what most people would call sleep."

^ HA!  I like that!

I'm gonna steal that line

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 12:37pm
the dude abides...............

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 10:53pm
I THINK KEITH JUST HAS A FEW NOW AND AGAIN...RONNIE IS A FULL BLOWN LUSH WHEN ACTIVE.

IP Logged

Child of the Moon
Rocks Off Regular

Plug in, flush out, and
fire the fuckin' feed...

In the timbers of Fennario
Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2009 at 11:22pm
We need a fucking tour.

"[What does God look like?] Probably a very insignificant little creature. Probably invisible. I don't think he needs a look. And I tell you , if he has one, he'd probably look like me."&&&&"[What fantasy do I still have to fulfill?] Fucking God! Ha, ha!"&&&&-Keith Richards&&&&...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)