Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
THE WHO - Melbourne 29th March 09 (Read 478 times)
corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
THE WHO - Melbourne 29th March 09
Mar 30th, 2009 at 5:26am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Yesterday, the Sun God smiled. Lovely, still day. F1 Grand Prix was on. Big whoopy you may ask. Ah, dont be so quick to dismiss. It's when the high rollers get together. Perhaps for the last time, as some of our billionaires are now only millionaires and our millionaires may soon be delivering pizza to make ends meet. Crowds were down. Not that i gave a shit. I was there only for the Who. And, judging by the amount of t-shirts, so were alot of other people. The race was boring. Very, very fucking loud, but boring. Better viewing was the amazing amount of short skirts and shorts the sheila's were wearing. It was like a competition to see who could show the most. Great viewing, i must say.

Wifey and i met up with some mates. Mick, who is the bass player in my band, was (as usual) well prepared. He has brought a full bladder of scotch. The bladder looked like a enema bag, but he said it was a camping bladder or somethiing. Anyway, he had pre-filled coke bottles with scotch and the bladder was for me. Potent too! The good thing about the show was it was outdoors. That meant we could drink and smoke and stand. NO chairs. We upgraded our tix last week and it was well worth it. The fenced in area's were actually fairly small. The night was pleasant and still. At 7.44pm the Who blasted onstage with "Cant explain". The sound was beautiful. Perfect mix.

They had been doing 2 hour shows in Oz, but they had to cut this one a bit shorter. Thankfullly, they cut the crap, and ditched Sister Disco & Eminence Front. It made the show tighter and punchier. The band was firing. Pete was amazing. I could watch him attack his guitar all night. Roger's voice was  bit husky, but it was very dusty (which he moaned about later). Pete's on-stage banter was funny as hell. He could be a stand up comedian. The highlights are obvious and everyone knows what they play. And they played it all superb. The crowd was going off after about the 5th song (Which may have been Who are you - A massive fave here in Oz sinc 1978 - oddly, i hate it!).

There was a lot of youngies in the crowd, and they were really diggin the power. Bloody great to see some pimply 17th year old punk stand in awe as Pete wind mills his power chords. I noticed they used the LP/CD ending of "Love reign o'er me". I thought that odd. I know it well, as legend is that the ending is Keith Moon walking through his drum kit. Still, no one seemed to notice. "The Seeker" was a treat. I love the songs they did as fillers in the early 70's like that track, Let's see action and join together.

Roger looked really tired though. His voice was fucked, and the primal scream is gone. Pete was full of energy as usual, and in fact, seemed to pick up juice as he went along. HE was astounded at the size of the crowd (The ticketed section was about 10,000, but up to 70,000 were watching. He was very touched and said he regretted not coming back to Oz sooner. He also is very self depreciative. There's footage of him on youtube and it's worth watching. Particularly when he was quoting members of the crowd (or what he "imagined" they were saying).
"Get on with it, ya old git".
"Play Magic Bus"
And the howler..."Smash ya guitar, ya cunt".

Brought the hosue down! He didnt smash his guitar, though after "tea and theatre" he raised it up mockingly.

And, speaking of "Tea and theatre" - Ok, it's an alright song. But to end a show with it???? Bizarre. A real let-down. Roger and Pete embraced after wards, and Pete said something to Rog that didnt look nice. Roger replied something too, then Pete lifted his arm from Rogers shoulder and held it in the air. Their is animosity for sure!

All in all, a great show. Age is catching up, but they do superbly. I noticed since their 2004 tour that Pino & Simon are more prominent onstage. At their last Melbourne show, Simon was more or less behind Zak!! Zak was superb too. This guy is their best drummer since Keith. ANd, lets face it, they've got the ammo to fire the crowd up, and they did it well. People were really buzzed about seeing them. Townshend seemed to pick on that and was in a happy mood, but Daltrey seemed down. he might be sick, or just sick of Pete. As i said, it WAS pretty dusty.

I bought my wife and i a t-shirt to celebrate. So did my mate for his girl friend (who flashed her tits at me, which i thought was nice).

I do recommend this band of young men to anyone who gets a chance to catch them. The are called The Who.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

cabledogg2
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Maryland , USA
Re: THE WHO - Melbourne 29th March 09
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 6:16am
Very nice read corgi..........i caught them last november in the states, and am sorry that it took me 43 years to see a who show. They must have been UNBELIEVABLE in their heyday!

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 7:18am
Thanks for the review Corgi, what about the Bassist, does he come close to Entwistle? Zack Starkey sounds better then Kenny Jones.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 9:07am
Pleased you had such a great day

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 9:32am
Roger's voice isn't husky. It's SHOT!!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 9:33am
" Yesterday, the Sun God smiled. Lovely, still day. F1 Grand Prix was on. Big whoopy you may ask. Ah, dont be so quick to dismiss. It's when the high rollers get together. Perhaps for the last time, as some of our billionaires are now only millionaires and our millionaires may soon be delivering pizza to make ends meet. Crowds were down. Not that i gave a shit. I was there only for the Who. And, judging by the amount of t-shirts, so were alot of other people. The race was boring. Very, very fucking loud, but boring. Better viewing was the amazing amount of short skirts and shorts the sheila's were wearing. It was like a competition to see who could show the most. Great viewing, i must say.

Wifey and i met up with some mates. Mick, who is the bass player in my band, was (as usual) well prepared. He has brought a full bladder of scotch. The bladder looked like a enema bag, but he said it was a camping bladder or somethiing. Anyway, he had pre-filled coke bottles with scotch and the bladder was for me. Potent too! The good thing about the show was it was outdoors. That meant we could drink and smoke and stand. NO chairs. We upgraded our tix last week and it was well worth it. The fenced in area's were actually fairly small. The night was pleasant and still. At 7.44pm the Who blasted onstage with "Cant explain". The sound was beautiful. Perfect mix.

They had been doing 2 hour shows in Oz, but they had to cut this one a bit shorter. Thankfullly, they cut the crap, and ditched Sister Disco & Eminence Front. It made the show tighter and punchier. The band was firing. Pete was amazing. I could watch him attack his guitar all night. Roger's voice was  bit husky, but it was very dusty (which he moaned about later). Pete's on-stage banter was funny as hell. He could be a stand up comedian. The highlights are obvious and everyone knows what they play. And they played it all superb. The crowd was going off after about the 5th song (Which may have been Who are you - A massive fave here in Oz sinc 1978 - oddly, i hate it!).

There was a lot of youngies in the crowd, and they were really diggin the power. Bloody great to see some pimply 17th year old punk stand in awe as Pete wind mills his power chords. I noticed they used the LP/CD ending of "Love reign o'er me". I thought that odd. I know it well, as legend is that the ending is Keith Moon walking through his drum kit. Still, no one seemed to notice. "The Seeker" was a treat. I love the songs they did as fillers in the early 70's like that track, Let's see action and join together.

Roger looked really tired though. His voice was fucked, and the primal scream is gone. Pete was full of energy as usual, and in fact, seemed to pick up juice as he went along. HE was astounded at the size of the crowd (The ticketed section was about 10,000, but up to 70,000 were watching. He was very touched and said he regretted not coming back to Oz sooner. He also is very self depreciative. There's footage of him on youtube and it's worth watching. Particularly when he was quoting members of the crowd (or what he "imagined" they were saying).
"Get on with it, ya old git".
"Play Magic Bus"
And the howler..."Smash ya guitar, ya cunt".

Brought the hosue down! He didnt smash his guitar, though after "tea and theatre" he raised it up mockingly.

And, speaking of "Tea and theatre" - Ok, it's an alright song. But to end a show with it???? Bizarre. A real let-down. Roger and Pete embraced after wards, and Pete said something to Rog that didnt look nice. Roger replied something too, then Pete lifted his arm from Rogers shoulder and held it in the air. Their is animosity for sure!

All in all, a great show. Age is catching up, but they do superbly. I noticed since their 2004 tour that Pino & Simon are more prominent onstage. At their last Melbourne show, Simon was more or less behind Zak!! Zak was superb too. This guy is their best drummer since Keith. ANd, lets face it, they've got the ammo to fire the crowd up, and they did it well. People were really buzzed about seeing them. Townshend seemed to pick on that and was in a happy mood, but Daltrey seemed down. he might be sick, or just sick of Pete. As i said, it WAS pretty dusty.

I bought my wife and i a t-shirt to celebrate. So did my mate for his girl friend (who flashed her tits at me, which i thought was nice).

I do recommend this band of young men to anyone who gets a chance to catch them. The are called The Who. "

Outstanding Review Corgi !!!!!!

Pete & Rog. are  ' fighting ' again  --- what else is new ?! I like it when Pete and Roger fight because it makes for some really good and intense WHO !!!!!

You do not like " Who Are You ?! "  ... Why ?!

" I noticed they used the LP/CD ending of "Love reign o'er me". I thought that odd. I know it well, as legend is that the ending is Keith Moon walking through his drum kit. Still, no one seemed to notice "

Yes , Great Call !!!!

Corgi , when the band recorded " Love Reign O'er Me " in 1972 , Keith Moon was instructed to smash his drum kit to bits at the very end of the song . Word

CORGI IS THE KING !!!!!!

JJJJJJJacky !

« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2009 at 9:36am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 2:52pm
" Roger's voice isn't husky. It's SHOT !!!! "

WHAT ?! .. !!!!!

... !!!!!

Roger's voice is phenomenal this tour ( ...only eight or
nine concert dates helps )  .

A ' Nokia ' only happens one or twice a decade  . Not Bad !!!!!!!

O ' kins ! ™
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2009 at 3:06pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)