Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Book-signing for Under Their Thumb by Bill German! (Read 2,241 times)
MarthaMyDear
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Book-signing for Under Their Thumb by Bill German!
Mar 26th, 2009 at 6:13pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
LONG FRICKING TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll talk later, you lollygaggers!!! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy I just wanted to let people KNOW in case anyone can go (you have to call RIGHT now, phone number at the bottom of this post, to get on the guest list!!!!!!!!!!!)... It's in San Francisco... I'm going so please post a reply if you can go!!! Smiley I'd love to hang-out!!! Smiley MORE SOON!!! Smiley I miss the Stonesly lollygaggers!!! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!! Smiley Love and more!!! Smiley

*** Martha ***
Former owner of the TheRolling-Stones.com
(lol........ Smiley Another site is possibly in the works but I'll have to see if I'd actually be able to get any sleep... HA!!! HA!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!! More soon!!! Smiley)

When        April 4, 2009 2:00 - 5:00 pm
Where        San Francisco Art Exchange
Directions
You are cordially invited to a special book-signing event for the new release about the Rolling Stones at the San Francisco Art Exchange. The gallery will be filled with Stones photographs for sale!

"Under Their Thumb is an up-close & extremely personal dispatch from the amazing, exclusive world of the Rolling Stones, by someone who was lucky enough to live it - & sober enough to remember it all.”

“If you enjoyed the film Almost Famous, then you’ll love Bill German’s new book.”

The event is on April 4th from 2:00 - 5:00 pm in our downtown gallery located at 458 Geary Street.

Don’t miss this chance to meet Bill German, hear his stories about the Stones, & purchase an autographed book - all in a gallery full of original Stones photography!

Call 1-800-344-9633 or email [email protected] to get on the guest list today.

If you live outside the Bay Area area and cannot attend, you can also order a hand-signed book through our web site, via email, or at the phone number above.

Credits: Photo © Ethan Russell

germanVR.jpg (271 KB | )
germanVR.jpg

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: Book-signing for Under Their Thumb by Bill Ger
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 6:18pm
Martha my Dearest is that you? LOL (I have no doubts  Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry )

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 6:37pm
Who the fuck else could it be?  Ouch!

Hey fartknocker, how are ya?

You up in San Francisco now? Tell Bill I said hi.

(there's more stuff on Bill's book here , btw- http://rocksoff.org/messageboard/YaBB.pl?num=1233679642/0#0 )

Hope all's well....welcome back.

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2009 at 6:49pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 6:47pm
WOW! Martha My Dear, you are missed! You rock! You rock! You rock! You rock!

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 6:50pm
Yessirreee, you have definitely been missed, Martha My DEAR. Smiley I remember that you were one of the first ones to welcome me to this lunatic asylum, a few years back. Hope you can stick around this time!  Grin

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 10:00am
Doesn't look like it'll happen...

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 2:57pm
I know there is one in LA, I might hit that if there are no conflicting events and I can sneak in my already purchased copy (which I finally finished last night).

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 4:41pm
bill presents himself well.  i enjoyed his signing in brooklyn.  his book is enjoyable.  it made me feel like i was back in the '80's for a week.  i got a copy of the works for a birthday presant which i expect to start reading any day now.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 4:43pm
He was very annoyed in his book about the mess that the publishers made of the final version of "The Works" after all the effort he put into it - and basically how Woody was so blasé about it.

... ... ...
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 5:23pm
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx grade coke might make one feel blase.  i am looking forward to reading this book.  feel free not to tell me about it.  i like suprizes.  just thumbing thru it i like the photos of ron woods art work.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 8:59pm
I dont think I've actually read "the Works" actually - may have glanced at someone else's copy. I dont own it.

... ... ...
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 9:20pm
I'm going to try and make the SF signing. Although it's on the same day I come back from Phoenix from Springsteen. But I might be able to get down there in time hopefully.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 10:57pm
Here is another excerpt from the book that was in todays SF Chronicle:

Here's a 25-year-old memory etched into the mind of author Bill German: standing over Mick Jagger as the wiry singer, on hands and knees, dabs at spilled juice with a towel to prevent it from staining a precious Persian rug.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And German? All of 21 years old, a nervous fan-boy who'd been granted an interview with his idol inside Jagger's New York City apartment. German promptly broke the ice by knocking a glass of OJ to the floor.

"He was kind and gracious as could be at that moment," German recalls. "But that was the thing with Mick - you never knew what you'd get."

That's one of the darker takeaways from German's "Under Their Thumb: How a Nice Boy From Brooklyn Got Mixed Up With the Rolling Stones (and Lived to Tell About It)."

German was 17 when he was taken in by the Stones for publishing the fanzine Beggars Banquet. Back then, as German noted, it took some real elbow grease and unbridled passion to be a superfan - none of this two-click "cut and paste" MySpace breed of fandom.

"It was the real cut and paste," German said. "I had to find a typewriter to borrow, type up an article, cut the article out with scissors and glue it to the pages. And then run off copies."

His obsessiveness paid off. Even though loving the Stones at the height of the disco era was no easy task - and perhaps why the band opened the door to German - the Stones hired the youngster to turn his fanzine into the band's official newsletter. For the next 17 years, German covered Mick and the gang, going on tour and wiggling his way into their inner circle. Yet he viewed himself as an impartial observer: As he writes, German was to the Stones as Sam Donaldson is to the White House.

But unlike Donaldson, German's paycheck was tied to the beast he covered. And over the years, German became distanced as he watched the Stones transform from blokes to bankers.

German developed a friendship with Keith Richards, and says he was close to Ron Wood. But ultimately, Jagger left him cold. If Richards was all musician, Jagger was pure businessman.

German paints the singer as a mercurial megastar, effusive with praise for the young man one moment, and the next, a screaming lunatic upset by the selection of a picture.

Or sometimes Jagger was the guy who'd drop to his knees to blot orange juice, and assure you it was nothing to worry over.

"Before you know it, you know more about your favorite rock stars than you ever wanted," German says. "Seventeen years - and all I wanted to do was give them my newsletter."

2 p.m., Sat. San Francisco Art Exchange, 458 Geary St., S.F. (415) 441-8840. www.billgerman.com.

Justin Berton, [email protected]

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Criss Cross Mind
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 3:51pm
Bil rocks ... Like a Rolling Stone ...  That was clever

IP Logged

MarthaMyDear
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 6:49am
Ok.... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am here... HE!!! HE!!! lol........ LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy Smiley Wink Cheesy Wink Cheesy Smiley Wink Cheesy Wink Cheesy Smiley Wink Cheesy Wink Cheesy Smiley Wink Cheesy Wink Cheesy Smiley Wink Cheesy Wink Cheesy Smiley Wink I MISS YOU GUYS and I am REALLY, really sorry it took me so long to reply... Sad((((((( Here's what's been going on lately and you'll know why... Smiley Anyways, I can check in now and then but, to be honest, you guys, some heavy and shitty things happened just recently making me not able to be online a lot right now... It's just a long story but basically a little over two weeks ago, my old boss from this coffeehouse I used to work at (and I knew him pretty well, also) committed suicide... Sad((((((( You can read about it here: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2009/03/john-leech-foun.html

I'm doing ok. now dealing with it, etc., but it took until, actually, getting off my ass and going to the BOOK SIGNING (YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! lol............... HA!!! HA!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nevermind... basically I think just driving somewhere and getting AWAY helped... LOL!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!) to start feeling ok.!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which was over two weeks, I think... Smiley THEN, my fricking car almost doesn't make it to the book signing (it's literally stalling in heavy traffic)... I live in Sacramento and drove to San Francisco for the book signing, etc., and the stupid-ass traffic is jammed for the toll on the bridge and then in the area of the book signing, etc., so I'm stressed-out (to put it mildly)... LOL!!!!!!!!!! But, I made it there and it was fun!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There weren't a LOT of people but a good number for the size of the gallery, etc.... Smiley I was late so I got there in the middle of Bill German talking, etc., and then I bought two books (one for a friend of mine) and I got them signed and I talked to Bill German for a little bit... Smiley He was nice (very nice, actually) and I told him about my Stones site and that Gary and Gerardo said hi!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basically, it was very cool... Smiley I LOVE that gallery... Smiley But, I was so tired that I just left to go home pretty early so I drove back home (luckily... ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways, to make a long story short... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really like this book!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways... LOL!!!!!!!!!!! I have been up all night reading it... lol...... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It really does remind me of you guys and everything... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm quieter now-a-days in my love for the Stones but it's ALWAYS THERE, you know!!! lol.............. Smiley

Anyways, I'm fading fast 'cause I'm tired!!! LOL!!!!!!!!! Smiley Anyways, I miss you guys and I love you, Gerardo, and you (FART FACE!!! HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and I'll talk to you soon!!! Smiley I hope that Ron Wood or Gered Mankowitz will have another exhibition there 'cause it's not that far of a drive, actually, so if they do, I'll post the news here, etc.... Smiley I think there are some Stones things going on there soon (a photography exhibition, etc.) so I'll post that here soon, ok.??? Smiley And, I'd love to meet some other Stones fans there, also!!! Smiley Anyways, take care and I'll talk to you soon!!! Smiley Anyways, MORE SOON!!! Cheesy Smiley Wink Cheesy Wink PEACE!!! Cheesy Smiley Wink Cheesy Wink Cheesy Smiley Wink Cheesy Wink Cheesy Smiley Wink Cheesy Wink

*** Martha ***
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2009 at 7:00am by MarthaMyDear »  

IP Logged

MarthaMyDear
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 6:56am
And, I see that I'm STILL addicted to the smileys and LOL's, etc.... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It never ends... ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways, this is a great book... Smiley Buy it and enjoy... Smiley ROCK ON!!! Cheesy

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #16 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 7:27am
good to hear from you. Smiley

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #17 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 6:24pm
So sad about your friend, Martha...Sad But I'm really glad you got to go to the book signing. Smiley Good to see you here! Cool

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 2:53pm
Martha, get a new car!

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 3:01pm
I'm a third of the way through the old Beggar's Banquets I bought & even though I know the ending already, it's still fascinating!

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 5:49pm
Quote:
I'm a third of the way through the old Beggar's Banquets I bought & even though I know the ending already, it's still fascinating!

you're only 1/3 through???

dude, each one takes about 4 minutes to read.

do I need to send you one of these brother??

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 5:53pm
LOL I read every line. And I only read them at work. Interesting stuff, Ronnie!

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #22 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 5:58pm
Quote:
LOL I read every line. And I only read them at work. Interesting stuff, Ronnie!

yeah but they were all done in large typewriter print... maybe a few hundred words on a page with large pictures. About only 6 pages an issue. LOL!!

How long can this possibly take??

you should of been 1/3 of the way thru after 25 minutes!!

do spend the entire week reading the Sunday Times??

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #23 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 6:49pm
Hey....gotta make the good stuff LAST.... Wink

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #24 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 9:08pm
MarthaMyDear wrote on Apr 6th, 2009 at 6:49am:
and I love you, Gerardo, and you (FART FACE!!! HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Smiley Cheesy Wink Angrylove  Roll Eyes Shocked Sad Grin Grin Wink Smileyyou  Cry Kiss Lips Sealed Embarrassed Tongue Roll Eyes Angry Sad Shocked Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley too!  Cool Angry Sad

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)