Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Faces Forward: Ian McLagan (Read 3,344 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Faces Forward: Ian McLagan
Feb 24th, 2009 at 8:34am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Faces Forward: Ian McLagan

Written by Express contributor Tony Sclafani
Photos by Theresa DiMenno
Posted By Express at 8:00 AM on February 24, 2009

IAN MCLAGAN MIGHT not have the name recognition of Mick Jagger, but he's no less a British rock legend.

Back in the mid-1960s, his atmospheric keyboards helped define the sound of the beloved mod band the Small Faces on songs like "Lazy Sunday" and "Itchycoo Park." When Small Faces frontman Steve Marriott left the fold to start Humble Pie, he tapped McLagan for keyboards.

Mac (as he's known colloquially), didn't stay long with Humble Pie, although he did contribute the song "Growing Closer" to their first album. Instead, he hooked back up with Small Faces drummer Kenney Jones and bassist Ronnie Lane and they brought in two new members: Rod Stewart and Ron Wood. Thus was born that ultimate '70s party band, the Faces.

As all good students of rock know, the Faces proved influential and gave the then-struggling Stewart a launching pad for his solo career. Stewart may have gotten the fame, but Mac's stuttering electric piano riff helped drive their biggest hit, the raunch-rock classic "Stay With Me."

When the Faces imploded and Wood split for the Rolling Stones, Wood called on Mac to tickle ivories on and off stage for the self-proclaimed World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band. He arrived just in time to play on the group's No. 1 1978 hit "Miss You," a song largely powered by (you guessed it) his funky opening electric piano riff.

After a pair of solid-but-unheard solo albums around this period, McLagan settled into a role as a sideman of choice for powerhouse musicians. For over a decade he was Billy Bragg's resident keyboardist, but he could also be found playing with Bob Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, Frank Black and many others. In 2000, he penned a well-received autobiography, "All the Rage," which mixed insight with dish about Mick Jagger (a penny-pincher) and the late Keith Moon (surprisingly dark and violent).

In August of 2006, McLagan was back in the news, but not for a good reason. Kim, his wife of nearly three decades, was killed in an auto accident. His response to the tragedy can be found on his newest record, "Never Say Never" (out March 3), much of which is a passionate tribute to his late wife.

McLagan is also embarking on his biggest solo tour in decades. He'll stop at Jammin' Java with his Bump Band, named after his second album, "Bump in the Night."

Express caught up with Mac by phone just as he was "pulling a pint" in his Austin, Texas, home.

» EXPRESS: Was it difficult to write and record after the death of your wife?

» MAC: No, actually. It was the opposite. She died on a Wednesday and Friday I started playing piano. I knew that I didn't know whether I was gonna make another record. In other words, I didn't know what I was gonna do. I was in a state of shock. But it wasn't difficult once I realized that's what I wanted to do. I just didn't know or care about doing anything except spending my days feeling miserable, grieving.

What happened was I had written "Where Angels Hide" seven or eight years ago. Ben Mandelson, who is one of Billy Bragg's [musicians], his wife died. I felt for him so badly that I wrote this song but it was just too tender — I could never play it for him. A couple of days after Kim died, I sat at the piano and played that song for me. And I played it over and over and over. And I played it everyday for ages. So I knew I was gonna put that on the record, somehow. And that gave me confidence. I wanted to play. I wanted to write. "Never Say Never" came out of the blue and songs just started happening, really.

» EXPRESS: You found writing sort of therapeutic, then?

» MAC: Yeah. I wrote "When the Crying is Over" at some point. I was spending a lot of time crying. I think that's what happens in a situation like that. And I'm driving in my van on a freeway and I just thought, "Oh, fuck, when is it gonna end?" I couldn't see the end of it. And I was just horrified for that moment. And I thought, "Well, the end is maybe when Kim and I are together." And I just wrote the words to that song: "When the crying is over / When my tears have run dry / I'll be an old man / Ready to die / I'll see you in heaven ...." A friend of mine told me he likes that song better than anything on the album. In fact, a close friend of his had died and he played it at the funeral. That's a good use of the song, you know?

» EXPRESS: Sure, music to set a certain mood ...

» MAC: I made a selection of songs to play at my wife's funeral — I called it a celebration — it wasn't a funeral. "True Love Ways" by Buddy Holly was one of the songs. But anyway, all the songs were relevant to her. She would have loved it. She would have come back from the dead to hear that combination.

» EXPRESS: How come you decided to stage such a big tour this year?

» MAC: Well, I love to play and I've got a great album to promote. I've finally got a really good agent too, a New York agent. I've had a couple of agents in Austin over the years and they did OK, but this guy, he's fighting for me. That's all I've wanted all the time is to actually work and tour, you know? It's hard to find an agent. It's hard to find the right musicians but I got lucky 15 years ago. The missing link was the agent.

» EXPRESS: Speaking of musicians, I wanted to get you to confirm if you've played with as many people as Wikipedia says. Bonnie Raitt?

» MAC: Yeah, I was with her for four and a half years. She's a dear friend, a remarkable lady.

» EXPRESS: Bob Dylan?

» MAC: Yeah. On "Real Live," which is a live album. I actually recorded with him in Ireland with Ronnie Wood, but I don't think nay of that came out.

» EXPRESS: Melissa Etheridge?

» MAC: Yeah. I always say she's the only person who ever fired me! She was getting ready to cut her first album. I thought she was really great. We did pre-production and we rehearsed. Her manager called me up and said, "We're gonna go for a different sound. We won't be using piano and Hammond B3." I went, "OK." Years later her manager called me up and I did more work and then more work and I said to her, "You're the only person who ever fired me." She said, "I didn't fire you! We just were going for a different musical thing."

» EXPRESS: How did the recent rehearsal reunion of the Faces come about?

» MAC: Because I've been working for it for 30 years or more! We had a rehearsal in London in November and it was great. It was just as much fun as it should have been — and as much fun as it always was. And we left with the idea that we would play a gig in London sometime this year. And if it went down well — which I'm sure it would — we would do a short tour. Well, nothing happened and I've never heard from Rod since then. Ronnie, Kenney and I had lunch in London on Wednesday, and Ronnie told me Rod is still keen to do something, but [Rod] really doesn't want to tour. But that may change. If we do one gig or two gigs, then he might get the buzz. He certainly had the buzz when we were rehearsing. He was in great spirits. And if the Faces aren't fun, the faces are fucked!

» Jammin' Java, 227 Maple Avenue E., Vienna; with The Crowd Scene, Wed., Feb. 25, 7:30 p.m., $17, 703-255-1566.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2009 at 8:37am by moy »  

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Re: Faces Forward: Ian McLagan
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 9:40am
Anyone whom is able to see Mac should.
He puts on a rollicking good show.
He has soul, his band is great.
Wicked Pissah, as someone once said.

Mac, please come to Bahston for the springtime!

Thanks for the article...

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 11:29am
He's lookin' good too. Smiley

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 5:59pm
never seen him with his own band, but he passed by here a couple of weeks ago, playing in James McMurtry's band. Really top geezer, and a terrific guy to have a chat with.

I was surprised that he thought the "Ron Wood & Fiends" gig at Drury Lane four years ago (the one that Jagger guested at) was dreadful!
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2009 at 6:02pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 6:08pm

Good read.
Thanks for posting.

Gonna see Mac and The Bumps Friday night.

C'mon down, Nellie!

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 7:55pm
How cool would this be!
I got momentarily juiced, however, realized
sadly, I'm booked for the weekend...

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 8:05pm
moy wrote on Feb 24th, 2009 at 8:34am:
Back in the mid-1960s, his atmospheric keyboards helped define the sound of the beloved mod band the Small Faces on songs like "Lazy Sunday" and "Itchycoo Park." When Small Faces frontman Steve Marriott left the fold to start Humble Pie, he tapped McLagan for keyboards.

Mac (as he's known colloquially), didn't stay long with Humble Pie, although he did contribute the song "Growing Closer" to their first album. Instead, he hooked back up with Small Faces drummer Kenney Jones and bassist Ronnie Lane and they brought in two new members: Rod Stewart and Ron Wood. Thus was born that ultimate '70s party band, the Faces.

According to Steve Marriott the other Small Faces members (Ronnie, Kenny and Mac) didn't want Peter Frampton as a member so Steve decided to quit the band, then the other members of Small Faces invited Peter to join the Small Faces.  Roll Eyes  Blank Frigging Stare

Mac never was a member of the Pie but he rehearsed in January 1969... He finally opted for his old band (Small Faces) but not before telling Marriott that maybe the band had lost a member "but they gained a friend"

Other theory is thet Greg Ridley was having an affair with Mac's wife Sandie  Shit!

Brian Jones was a candidate for Humble Pie but passed away the week they had the reherasals with Brian  :necrophillicpost
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2009 at 10:30am by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

StreetsofLover
Rocks Off Regular

SF Bay Area
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 8:33pm
he's great. will be seeing him again soon and he'll probably want to have his pic taken with me again.

oh, and was right about the fiends show. blech.

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 3:52pm
Gazza wrote on Feb 24th, 2009 at 5:59pm:
never seen him with his own band, but he passed by here a couple of weeks ago, playing in James McMurtry's band. Really top geezer, and a terrific guy to have a chat with.

I was surprised that he thought the "Ron Wood & Fiends" gig at Drury Lane four years ago (the one that Jagger guested at) was dreadful!

Mac's gettin' to look a bit like Dustin Hoffman! He's aged really well. Of course, he can't hold a candle to that handsome guy he's with...lol

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 3:37am
You got a real good hold on him there, Gazza!

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 10:42am
I got a ticket for Tuesday March 3, 2009
BB Kings Blues Club/Grill
8 PM doors open at 6
Ian 'Mac' McLagan + Bump Band
$27.00 + $tax
First come first served seating

BB Kings is in Times Square and there's no problem finding the place. Anyone else from RO going to this gig?

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 1:15pm
Good manager, they are touring clubs and the news

Jeff Miers’ Soundcheck: The Faces of the ’70s

One member of former supergroup making a Buffalo stop
http://www.buffalonews.com/494/story/591885.html

Sometimes, the notes on the staff tell the whole story. A composition can be so beautifully conceived and well-written that, really, it wouldn’t matter who played it. Just put the sheet of music in front of a good, solid, trained musician; hit record; and let the notes work their magic, as written. This works in classical music most often, obviously. It might work for certain nonimprovisation- based sections of jazz pieces, too, and it certainly has been tried in pop music, mostly with cold, dead, dreadful results.

Rock ’n’ roll is not this type of animal, though. Particularly not the strain of it that first erupted in the ’60s, as a Caucasian interpretation of African- American blues and R&B. In England, the sturdy tradition of music-hall ditties, pub-crawl sing-alongs, Celtic melodic fragments and Elizabethan folk, when added to the above recipe, produced some of the most gloriously shambolic music of the era that began with the invention of the electric guitar and ended with the ominous arrival of the digital sampler.

Yes, that red-headed stepchild, back-of-the-classroom prankster (“Would you let your daughter go on a date with one of these ruffians?”), eminently lovable outcast that is rock doesn’t so much lean against the Doric column of composition as it slouches against the cash-only bar of camaraderie and collective good will.

There can never be any doubt that the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts in this particular sub-idiom. How else could one explain Keith Richards tolerating Mick Jagger for all these years? This is where the concept we understand as the “band ethic” comes from. It’s a model that stands in opposition to the more formal idea of songwriters and studio musicians crafting something they believe is guaranteed to simulate genuine emotion and generate excitement in the listener. (Of course, sometimes the latter model produces wonderful results, but go along with me here for a little while, just for the sake of argument.)

The Beatles had a lot of this magical “band of merry men” quality, at least in the beginning. The Stones did, too, although theirs was quickly supplanted by a weary acceptance of the fact that they were indeed stuck with each other, like a cranky old married couple. But in truth, no other ensemble encapsulates this ethic with more clarity and consistency than the wonderful, wacky, whiskey-sodden Faces.

In retrospect, the early-’70s formation of this beloved band can be interpreted as the founding of a supergroup. If you threw the Small Faces and the Jeff Beck Group in a blender, added some plentiful proportions of booze and served it over ice, you’d have the cocktail equivalent of Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood, Ian McLagan, Ronnie Lane and Kenny Jones. This was no cynical, management-induced birth, however. These five lads genuinely loved one another and took endless delight in the loose but incendiary racket they could so effortlessly collectively summon.

On stage, the Faces appeared more like an English football team on a bender, as if they just happened to stumble upon the concert hall in between stops on a pub crawl, and they played like they couldn’t believe they were getting away with the whole thing, naughty little schoolboys, all. It was too good to last forever, naturally, particularly with the allure of a promising solo career being consistently dangled like a golden carrot in front of Rod Stewart’s face. Rod’s best solo work was really the Faces in all but name, and his tenure fronting the band proved him to be, for a good while at least, one of the five best singers in rock.

All the Faces landed on their feet, pretty much, although Ronnie Lane never quite got the credit he deserved as both songwriter and bassist/ guitarist. He succumbed to a battle with multiple sclerosis in 1997; only then, it seemed, did the full measure of the man’s musical worth become apparent to the masses. We all know how Stewart fared. Ronnie Wood became a Rolling Stone and continued to play some of the most brilliantly scrappy guitar the genre has ever known. Kenny Jones became drummer with the Who after Keith Moon took his final curtain call. And keyboardist supreme Ian “Mac” McLagan?

Well, Mac has had what might be the most interesting, and is certainly the most variegated, post-Faces career of the lot. As a solo artist, he has come the closest to capturing his former band’s eminently soulful R&B, particularly the strain that emanated from Lane’s input. He has played with the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen, Taj Mahal, John Hiatt, David Lindley, Paul Westerberg, Billy Bragg and Patty Griffin, among many others. And now, he has released “Never Say Never,” a record with his Bump Band that positively drips soul and moves along with the fearless sense of groove of the Neville Brothers at their best. Believe it or not, McLagan — since 1994, a denizen of the incredibly fertile Austin, Texas, music scene — has made Buffalo one of the stops on his all-too-brief “Never Say Never” tour. He’ll play the Tralf on Thursday.

You can hear the Faces’ influence everywhere, still. Among Buffalo-born musicians, the work of Terry Sullivan, Gurf Morlix, Jim Whitford as well as the younger breed of rockers like the (sadly defunct?) Roadhouse Gypsies, Handsome Jack and Chylde is redolent of the great Faces songbook. If you like, say, the Raconteurs, Jet, the Strokes and their ilk, you’d be well-served by forging a relationship with Rhino’s wonderful Faces retrospective, “Five Guys Walk Into a Bar. . .,” which was in fact overseen and produced by McLagan himself. (Sadly, the recently promised 2009 Faces reunion appears to be a bust.)

And if you want to hear what Thursday’s show might sound like, by all means, check out www.myspace.com/ianmclaganandthebumpband . It’ll do you good.•

Ian McLagan and the Bump Band play the Tralf (622 Main St.) at 8 p. m. Thursday. [email protected]

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 6:47pm
Faces Reunion Plans Still Awaiting Rod's Nod
Rod Stewart may still reunite with The Faces this year.
March 02, 2009 11:06 AM ET
Gary Graff, Detroit
A Faces reunion may still be in the offing this year -- but probably not a full-scale tour or recording project.

Keyboardist Ian McLagan tells Billboard.com that the latest idea, proffered by guitarist Ron Wood at a lunch in London with McLagan and drummer Kenney Jones, is "we do a couple shows and film it. Whether Rod (Stewart) wants to do that...I'm hoping he'll be into that 'cause it'll be such a lot of fun. It's what the three of us would like Rod to agree to."

The Faces, with Stewart's touring bassist, got together during November in London to play for three days in various configurations. McLagan -- who's currently touring to promote his latest solo album, "Never Say Never," which comes out March 3 -- says the sessions were "really, really great." The following month word leaked that the group would indeed tour, with the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea on bass, and that there would also be a new Faces album -- the first since 1973's "Ooh La La." In January both Flea and Stewart denied there would be a Faces tour.

McLagan says that Wood is currently in Los Angeles and plans to talk to Stewart about the latest idea. "I'll get a call eventually, and maybe we'll do something in June or July," McLagan says, " 'cause I don't want to do anything next year. I'm not gonna wait again. It's either gonna be this year...It's now or never! I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm not going to waste energy trying to make it happen. I've worked for 30 years trying to make it happen. It's now in the lap of the gods -- or the hands of Rod, maybe."

The keyboardist adds that despite other press reports, Wood is "in great shape...and good spirits" and is not currently drinking. "He slips but he stops. He's finding his grace, and it's a struggle," McLagan says. "He's trying really hard."

While he waits for word on the Faces' plans, McLagan plans a full year of touring with his Bump Band for "Never Say Never" -- which is dedicated to his late wife, Kim, who died in a 2006 auto accident, and features some songs inspired by the tragedy.

"Music is the healer -- I know it as an absolute, stone cold fact," McLagan says. "I wouldn't be here today without the music and my band members, my musician friends. They kept me going. I'm doing much better. I'm fine now. But the tough times, I couldn't have done it on my own."

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/faces-reunion-plans-still-awaiting-rod-s-100...

IP Logged

macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 8:35pm
did that woman that was a contact person for mac make the migration to the new board..? i cant remember her screenname. i wanna say she was the manager/booking agent...

i would love to get in touch her; mac and his band are playing around here in the near future...
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2009 at 8:36pm by macdaddy »  

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 9:11pm
Yes, she made the transition (to the new board) her user name is RAGS

http://rocksoff.org/messageboard/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=Rags

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - Mar 3rd, 2009 at 11:34am

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #16 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 12:39am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOGwSLN9GkY
Cindy Incidently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1tu3ZV8crw
Get Yourself Together

From the BB King show March 3rd ~ Ian was such a sweet guy, after the show he sat down and signed autographs and took pics with the fans. Really down to earth nice guy!
... setlist
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2009 at 10:19pm by Bitch »  

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #17 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 7:57am
Hey Gazza..did Mac ask for your autograph?..or at least tell you to fuck off will ya?.....

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #18 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 9:34pm

dont know if this was posted somewhere, but it bears repeating:

ian mcLagen/bump band
WEST COAST TOUR:

April 28 - Rhythm Room, Phoenix, AZ
April 29 - Anthology, San Diego, CA
April 30 & May 1 – The Mint, Los Angeles, CA
May 2 - Arcadia Blues Club, Arcadia, CA
May 3 - Powerhouse Pub, Folsom, CA (Sacramento)
May 5 - Red Devil Lounge, San Francisco, CA
May 7 – Music Millennium, Portland, OR (instore)
May 7 - White Eagle Saloon, Portland, OR
May 8 - The Triple Door, Seattle, WA

May 17 - Continental Club Gallery, Austin, TX  - Sunday Night Acoustic Residency with Jon Dee Graham & Ian McLagan. 

June 16 – Late Show with David Letterman, CBS (featuring special musical guest, Ian McLagan & the Bump Band!)

June 19 – Continental Club, Austin, TX - 'after-Letterman' party!

July 2 – La Zona Rosa, Austin, TX (Austin Child Guidance Center benefit featuring Alejandro Escovedo and Ian McLagan & the Bump Band).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)