Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mick Jagger - Britannia Rules the Airwaves (Sun) (Read 1,075 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Mick Jagger - Britannia Rules the Airwaves (Sun)
Feb 16th, 2009 at 6:33am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

MICK JAGGER knows a bit about British invasions.

The ROLLING STONES stormed the American charts in the Sixties when the term was first coined to describe UK music dominating in the States.

And with the Brit Awards just days away, the rock legend has paid tribute to our triumphant musicians after our domination of the Grammys a week ago, where we scooped 16 top gongs.

Mick thinks this is one of the best EVER times for British music — and he ruled rock for five decades.

He told me: “With British acts doing so well at the Grammys last week it’s proving to be a great period for home-grown talent right now.

“And what is so refreshing is the different styles that have been recognised — COLDPLAY, DUFFY, ADELE and RADIOHEAD make up an eclectic bunch, proving there’s a lot of fresh British talent out there.

“I like that these acts have paid their dues in the way we had to. There is certainly an upsurge of diverse Brit acts breaking through in the US and overseas — good to see it. Long may it continue.”

I’ve got a good feeling about Wednesday’s Brits.

It has come at a perfect time to celebrate a fantastic era in British music.

After our Grammys domination we should be proud of our bands’ success at home and abroad.

And there can be no doubt that we are witnessing the third British invasion of America.

The first wave was led by rock ’n’ roll acts such as THE BEATLES and Mick’s Stones in the Sixties.

The next was the new wave and electro acts such as DURAN DURAN, CULTURE CLUB and PET SHOP BOYS — the Outstanding Contribution winners at this year’s Brits.

But this time our successes are from a wide range of musical genres.

And I can’t wait to toast them all at Wednesday’s bash.

- Gordon Smart
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article2239949.ece

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Re: Mick Jagger - Britannia Rules the Airwaves (Su
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:11pm
mick has a point, but its not like he is passing the torch just yet.  i really do not like any of the bands he mentioned.  i could hardly watch cold play at the grammys....to me they are just plain boring and a bad excuse for music.   radohead was ok...were they the band with all the extra drummers?

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:31pm
I really wish Mick didnt follow current music trends so closely.

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:43pm
How can Mick make this claim when the States have Nickelback?! Oh wait, they're Canadians! Gee thanks Canada!

Wink

Riffy

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:57pm
Paid their dues? What they had to wait an extra 30 minutes for a video shoot?...Mick can hype with the best of them.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 3:34pm
“And what is so refreshing is the different styles that have been recognised — COLDPLAY, DUFFY, ADELE and RADIOHEAD make up an eclectic bunch, proving there’s a lot of fresh British talent out there."

Opening acts for the next Tour......he's already planning.

LJ.

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 9:49pm
Gazza wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 6:33am:
[img]“And what is so refreshing is the different styles that have been recognised — COLDPLAY, DUFFY, ADELE and RADIOHEAD make up an eclectic bunch, proving there’s a lot of fresh British talent out there.

The next was the new wave and electro acts such as DURAN DURAN, CULTURE CLUB and PET SHOP BOYS — the Outstanding Contribution winners at this year’s Brits.

Puke all over me (wait that is BLEED)

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Prodigal Son
Rocks Off Regular

That'll be the way to
get along...

Calgary, AB, Canada
Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 11:26pm
Riffhard wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:43pm:
How can Mick make this claim when the States have Nickelback?! Oh wait, they're Canadians! Gee thanks Canada!

Wink

Riffy

Believe me, we're not thankful for them either. The Grammys at least nominated some decent artists. With a vibrant indie scene and acts like Feist, Arcade Fire and so on the idiots who run our stupid national awards (Junos) saturated nomination slots with the same old tired loser acts that give the execs pockets lined with cash; Nickelback, Bryan Adams (what for? Another hollow reminder of why he sucked in the first place?), Celine Dion? What a disgrace. I don't mind those UK acts that bad. Duffy and Adele are mildly interesting, Radiohead an ambitious bunch. I guess I only dislike Coldplay who no matter how they try always end up sounding pretentious, flaky and soppy to me. I hope Chris Martin holds true to his assertion that bands together into their 40s and 50s are wasting their time because that means Coldplay's got barely 5 years left to assault our senses.

WWW Prodigal Son Prodigal Son ICQ-ball - -  
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 5:02pm
the tragically hip are a good canadian band.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 10:51pm
Mick Jagger!

That will always feel good.  No matter where you go in life,
Mick Jagger!

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 11:15pm
Ya know, Moonie, yer dead right! It DOES feel good!

Mick Jagger!

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 6:57pm
MICK the 'Pillar of society' knows what's going on with the British bands ~ it's his duty to critique the music scene so if MICK likes them I will give a listen. I've heard Adele shes not bad.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:00pm
I like Adele. She's an "old soul". She has a good feel for music.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)