Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Happy Birthday Abraham Lincoln! (Read 1,502 times)
Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Happy Birthday Abraham Lincoln!
Feb 12th, 2009 at 3:40pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
200 years old today. God bless this stove pipe hatted married to a loonie crusader for freedom! he gave us us grant. he gave us the emancipation proclamation! most importanly, he gave us the day off on monday. and man, could he put out a sexy daguerreotype.

lincoln or "kramer" from seinfeld? you be the judge!

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: Happy Birthday Abraham Lincoln!
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 3:58pm
is mccain older than lincoln?

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 4:03pm
I do believe that photo had a little "doctorin"

Ohhhhh

maybe not.....

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 4:05pm
he gave us integrity,
he gave us the weight, the moral center our founding fathers only fathomed in theory.
he gave this country a sense that it really can be what we say we can be.
he wasn't a saint, he was moody, manic-depressive, married to a raving lunatic....and there are those who argue that his feelings about slavery were cloudy, but he was the real shit, a real leader that i don't the likes of this world will see again..
and he does looks cool in that daguerreotype. 
he was epic.
the first time i visited the lincoln memorial, i felt like i was in church, a feeling i've never gotten in church.
bless this thread...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 4:11pm
Happy Happy Birthday !!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 4:13pm
Dead Presidents-Willie Dixon

Them dead presidents
Them dead presidents
Well I ain't broke but I'm bad bent
Everybody loves them dead presidents

A little bit of Lincoln can't park the car
Washington he can't go too far
Jefferson is good, played the track
If you think you're gonna bring some big bitch back

Them dead presidents
Them dead presidents
Well I ain't broke but I'm bad bent

Hamilton on a ten can get you straight
But Jackson on a twenty is really great
And if you're talkin' about a poor man's friend
Grant will get you out of whatever you're in

Them dead presidents
Them dead presidents
Them dead presidents
Well I ain't broke but I'm badly bent

A hundred dollar Franklin is really sweet
A five hundred McKinley is the one for me
If I get a Cleveland, I'm really set
A thousand dollar Cleveland is hard to get

Them dead presidents
Them dead presidents
Well I ain't broke but I'm badly bent

http://www.jgeils.com/jgeilshistory.html

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 5:17pm
On the "Lincoln Ghost"....

President Theodore Roosevelt, Herbert Hoover and Harry Truman have all claimed to have heard unexplained rappings on their bedroom doors. What made them think it was Lincoln is unknown.

Calvin Coolidge's wife reported seeing on several occasions the ghost of Lincoln standing with his hands clasped behind his back, at a window in the Oval Office, staring out in deep contemplation toward the bloody battlefields across the Potomac. Carl Sandburg, Lincoln's biographer, said he did not see the ghost but "strongly felt his presence" when he stood at this same window during a tour of the White House.

Lincoln's ghost made many apparitions during the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration. Roosevelt was (coincidentally like Lincoln) president during war time.

Eleanor Roosevelt never claimed to have seen Lincoln's spirit, but sometimes spoke of the sense of someone watching her as she worked in the former Lincoln bedroom, which she used as a study. One of her maids claimed to have seen the ghost sitting on a bed and pulling off his shoes. While Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands spent a night in the White House she was awakened by a knock on the bedroom door. When she answered it, she saw Lincoln's ghost staring at her from the hallway. The queen recalled that she fainted upon seeing the ghost. When she woke up lying on the floor of her room, the ghost had gone.

Winston Churchill also claimed to have seen the ghost while spending a night in the White House during World War II. After taking a bath he walked naked into the adjoining bedroom. There he saw Lincoln standing by the fireplace in the room. Churchill remarked wittingly: "Good evening, Mr. President. You seem to have me at a disadvantage." Lincoln smiled softly and disappeared.

Since the Truman administration there haven't been many sightings. Some theorize that this is due to the extensive remodeling that was done to the White House during the Truman years.

Maureen Reagan, daughter of Ronald Reagan and her husband claimed to have seen the ghost several times in the Lincoln bedroom. She described the ghost as "a transparent figure" (prompting a Democratic senator to remark, "Sounds more to me like she's been in the Cabinet Room.") Reagan's dog reportedly refused to enter the Lincoln bedroom and often stood outside the room barking.

Lyndon B. Johnson is supposed to have spoken with the ghost of Mr. Lincoln. Johnson, standing in the second floor room that had been Lincoln's office (Lincoln had used the Oval Office as a library), asked "You had a war, you had a Civil Rights movement, you had protesters and critics, what can I do?" And the story goes, the response was "Don't go to the theater."

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 6:37pm
Happy 200th to my favorite President!  Grin

I spent my best years {the mid 60's Wink} in Springfield, Ill., LAND of Lincoln. So, I DO appreciate him, for sure.

Then I moved to the Capital of the Confederacy.... Roll Eyes Sad Not my best move......they, er, didn't exactly like Lincoln here.

BUT.....things are slowly changing. And, believe it or not, we have a small STATUE of Lincoln in this city! With Confederate Generals galore on our Monument Avenue, we now have a statue of Lincoln in a city park---Lincoln and his favorite son, Tad......never, EVER thought I would see this. And there is starting to be some begrudging respect for him among the citizens of central Virginia. Smiley

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 7:10pm
Dude don't look a day over 199 :funny

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 7:23pm
DUDES OLD!!!

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 7:43pm
I'm currently reading Lincoln:  President-Elect by Harold Holzer.  Good stuff.  Man, if you think Barack had some haters against him, you should read the stuff some people were saying about Old Abe.  I haven't gotten to Team of Rivals yet.  The Lincoln Bicentennial seems to be another of those historical link-ups with the Obama presidency, along with nomination on the 45th anniversary of the "I Have a Dream" speech and inauguration the day after MLK Day.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 8:30pm
Brainbell Jangler wrote on Feb 12th, 2009 at 7:43pm:
I'm currently reading Lincoln:  President-Elect by Harold Holzer.  Good stuff.  Man, if you think Barack had some haters against him, you should read the stuff some people were saying about Old Abe.  I haven't gotten to Team of Rivals yet.  The Lincoln Bicentennial seems to be another of those historical link-ups with the Obama presidency, along with nomination on the 45th anniversary of the "I Have a Dream" speech and inauguration the day after MLK Day.

I'm reading "Team of Rivals"-it's slow going as I have a problem staying awake when I sit down to read at night.  A book of that length is very daunting, considering I manage to get maybe 10 pages read before my head drops to my chest.  May have it finished before the end of the year... Wink

Actually though,  it is very good...
(if I could just keep all those rivals straight)

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 8:37pm
Quote:
I'm reading "Team of Rivals"-it's slow going as I have a problem staying awake when I sit down to read at night.  A book of that length is very daunting, considering I manage to get maybe 10 pages read before my head drops to my chest.  May have it finished before the end of the year... Wink

Actually though,  it is very good...
(if I could just keep all those rivals straight)

me too, and at the same pace..lol
i started a few months ago, and i start about midnight, so i fall asleep within a few pages...
but a book like this is so epic, there is no hurry...
another on of interest: lincoln's meloncholy, an essay into how lincoln's his struglle with depression impacted his presidency...
he was fascinating man.

IP Logged

Glimmer Twin
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 8:41pm
Lincoln and Washington were the greatest.  Love them both.  I wish we either of them in right now.  Wink

IP Logged

TomL
Rocks Off Regular

Change the Fucking sets

Sweet Virginia
Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 8:56pm
Me and Abe tag teamed Paris one night.

...Her love is ecstasy When her arms enfold me I hear her tender rhapsody But in reality, she doesn't Fucking know me...JMI once again..... running away with me...........

IP Logged

parmeda
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Reply #15 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 9:09pm
Leave Abe outta this, T!

The only way he would have tagged her would have been to a fucking stake and had her burned  Wink

I am fluent in three languages... English, Sarcasm, and Profanity

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)