Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Townes Van Zandt Appreciation Thread (Read 722 times)
Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Townes Van Zandt Appreciation Thread
Feb 10th, 2009 at 7:49pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
You read it right.  This man's voice is awesome.  His songs are awesome.   No Townes means no Jay Farrar, Steve Earle, Ryan Adams....one of the best writers we've seen.  Too bad he died (relatively) young.  Would love to hear Keith cover "No Place To Fall."

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Re: Townes Van Zandt Appreciation Thread
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 9:03pm
Glad to see you are still "discovering" great music, Throwaway!! Cool Cool

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 9:08pm

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 9:11pm
Plant and Krause did him a good turn....

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 9:13pm

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 9:25pm
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 at 9:03pm:

For sure.  How was Jackie with Phil + Friends?

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 5:00am
Throwaway wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 at 9:25pm:
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 at 9:03pm:

For sure.  How was Jackie with Phil + Friends?

I'm not a "Dead" lover, don't even know the songs, but Jackie adds another dimension to those jam band songs.  You got a little taste of it at his concert when he does his " Rusty Nails" medley.  I wouldn't miss them if Jackie does go out again with Phil. Believe he is working on a new album right now though.

Thanks, Bucky

Guess I'll just have to give Townes a spin or two today! Cool

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 7:57am
Just heard that Steve Earle is releasing an album of TVZ covers in May. Here's some more info in a recent Rolling Stone interview :

Steve Earle wasn't out of his teens when he introduced himself to Townes Van Zandt. Although Van Zandt was 11 years older than Earle, he agreed to mentor the younger musician, and the two became lifelong friends. These days, on paper at least, they don't appear to have too much in common aside from a history of substance abuse. Earle is an outlaw country roots-rocker who emerged in the 1980s a rabble-rousing iconoclast. He's inched into mainstream consciousness through his music as well as acting gigs, political commentary and his fiction. Van Zandt, the drifter son of a Texas oil baron, was a songwriter's songwriter who actively eschewed the mainstream (he turned down overtures to write with Dylan, who he dismissed as too much of a celebrity). He was as comfortable with a country-folk song as he was with a driving blues stomp, and he died in 1997 at 52, a cult hero broken by addiction.

Earle was so affected by his relationship with Van Zandt that he named a son after him. Now he's putting the finishing touches on a tribute album to Van Zandt, recorded in both Nashville and New York. Rolling Stone called Earle in Nashville to discuss the album, listening to the Kings of Leon, recording with Rage Against the Machine's Tom Morello and his unique relationship with the late, great Townes Van Zandt:

So these are all Townes' songs you're doing?

The idea was to try to record these songs as close to the way that I remember Townes performing them as possible.

How was that?

It's how I learned to play; it's how I learned to perform. I arrive at it slightly differently than he did. I technically execute my guitar style differently than he did, in that he used metal finger picks and I don't, but I finger pick like he did. He was sitting right in front of me when I was really learning to play.

What do you mean he was sitting right in front of you?

This was a real live apprenticeship. I met him when I was 16. Townes was a stunning solo performer. I've only seen a handful of people that were as good as he was. Loudon Wainwright is in that class as a solo performer. It's a really rare thing. The way Townes did it, he could literally just stand there and close his eyes ‹ sometimes not open them for an entire set ‹ and you were mesmerized. By the time more people knew about him, his skills were somewhat diminished as a performer and as a guitar player and as a singer. I barely got there in time to see him when it wasn't.

Do you have a favorite vocal or song or lyric of his? A favorite moment or slice of a song?

My favorite record overall is probably the one they called The Nashville Sessions. The people that released it were not authorized to release it. It was his last studio record before a long break. It was made in the mid-'70s and it's got some really really, really great songs. It's got "The Spider Song" on it, and it's got "Buckskin Stallion" on it. So I like that record overall. I think my favorite songs are probably "Colorado Girl," on an album called Townes Van Zandt, 'cause nobody fucks with that at all. It's a solo vocal performance.

Have you sort of apprenticed any aspiring Steve Earles?

I had the benefit of a real, live, hands-on apprenticeship, so I know the value of that. Even more with Guy [Clark] than Townes. With Guy, I could ask him a question, he could answer it. He could show me how he did something. With Townes it was more like he'd give me a copy of War and Peace, and then I'd find out later, after I'd read it, that he never fuckin' read War and Peace. They were both hugely influential but they approached it differently. There's been a lot of people I've run into over the years that are younger than I was, and because I benefited from that type of learning environment I try to provide it for other people.

You're in Nashville now, but you're also recording some of this album in New York?

To tell you the truth I still haven't found a pool of players [in New York] anywhere close to what I have here. This record, 75 percent of it was recorded in New York, but all the stuff with musicians has been done here, 'cause I overdubbed all the bass and I overdubbed all the drums and then I'm doing these three tracks live with the bluegrass band. So, this record's really kind of a hybrid. I have a novel I need to finish anyway, and I've wanted to do this Townes record for a long time. I'll do it now and I can record it and deliver it, and then I can spend the winter finishing my novel.

You're recording a track with Tom Morello, though, who doesn't exactly suck.

Morello's one of the few real guitar gods that his generation produced. He's one of the few guys who did something else that nobody else had ever done on electric guitar before. In a long time. And of course we're both pinkos so we get along just fine. The track is a song called "Lungs," which is a really great Townes song. Lyle Lovett recorded it several years ago on the record of covers he did. It's one of the scariest songs ever written. Towne's always said that it should be screamed rather than sung.

Were there any records that you've been listening to this year that have caught your ear?

I love the Kings of Leon's record and I'm really glad to see them grow up as a band. And they're local and I've been bumping into them as long as I can remember. My tendency is to pull for them. You're listening to one of the best singers that rock & roll's ever produced I think.

That's high praise. Have you worked with them or are you going to try to work with them at any point?

No. Oh, I'd kill to work with them. I have to accept the fact that I'm 53 years old and my audience is getting older too and its one of those things. Sometime in my 40s I had a new girlfriend that saw me make the bluegrass record and she thought that's what I did I guess. Then we were put in a rock band together and making transcendental blues and the first gig we played at for not playing together for a year and a half was farm aid and it was a Crazy Horse year for Neil and we were really ridiculously loud and she goes, "Why do you play that loud?" and I go, "Because it makes my dick hard." And I still have that in me. I'm a lot of times too loud for my own audience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/2

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 11:28am
Thanks for posting that Gazza.

Thats a great read.

I love that he digs KOL

I finally recently got to meet him and he was so great and so kind. And I never get freaked out meeting people but he is so huge to me - he's right next to Keith & Bob. But whatever jitters I had were instantly gone because he was so cool and nice. Just genuinely cool. Which was refreshing because you always fear that meeting your idols will ruin it for you. And I had certainly always had reservations of one day meeting him because I had heard that he could surly. But he was great and we talked about everything from his recent album, to steel guitar, to mandolin, to songs for my wedding, to our dogs, to Waits, to Dylan (he wants Campbell & Sexton back). My girl and I spent the rest of the night going over and over "Holy shit that was cool!!"... "Holy Shit!"

Literally and figuratively BUMPED into him again a few weeks later and he was even cooler and kinder. If even possible.

cant wait for his TVZ album!!
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2009 at 11:40am by Saint Sway »  

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 6:56pm
Saint Sway wrote on Mar 6th, 2009 at 11:28am:
Thanks for posting that Gazza.

Thats a great read.

I love that he digs KOL

I finally recently got to meet him and he was so great and so kind. And I never get freaked out meeting people but he is so huge to me - he's right next to Keith & Bob. But whatever jitters I had were instantly gone because he was so cool and nice. Just genuinely cool. Which was refreshing because you always fear that meeting your idols will ruin it for you. And I had certainly always had reservations of one day meeting him because I had heard that he could surly. But he was great and we talked about everything from his recent album, to steel guitar, to mandolin, to songs for my wedding, to our dogs, to Waits, to Dylan (he wants Campbell & Sexton back). My girl and I spent the rest of the night going over and over "Holy shit that was cool!!"... "Holy Shit!"

Literally and figuratively BUMPED into him again a few weeks later and he was even cooler and kinder. If even possible.

cant wait for his TVZ album!!

he's a really nice guy to chat with. Funny you mentioned about him having a surly reputation, because I've never heard that. I met him about four years ago and we compared skull rings ("Mine's bigger than yours" he taunted. The bastard). His wife Allison Moorer (Mrs Earle #7) is a real gem though. He even uses her as a decoy. When we were chatting to her outside a gig a year ago, we were so busy leching when getting a pic taken with her, we didnt notice Steve slip past and get onto the tour bus.

His sentiments for Dylan match my own. The best of all the NET line ups.

You literally bumped into him after? He and Allison now live on Jones Street (see the cover of 'Freewheelin'),as you probably know.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2009 at 7:04pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 11:41am
Makes sense that he lives on that street since I've also seen him at Matt Umanov's and at Washington Square dog run. And when I "bumped" into him it was about a block from there as I was running across the street to make the light.  
My girl and I have tried replicated the album cover many on Jones St and it never comes out right.

I saw Larry Campbell playing with Levon Helm's Band on the same bill with Dylan - and Earle - this summer. They were the best of the bill.

btw, Larry Campbell and Levon sat in with the Black Crowes this weekend on Mellow Down Easy and Keep A Knockin

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 9:58am
Saint Sway wrote on Mar 9th, 2009 at 11:41am:
Makes sense that he lives on that street since I've also seen him at Matt Umanov's and at Washington Square dog run. And when I "bumped" into him it was about a block from there as I was running across the street to make the light.  
My girl and I have tried replicated the album cover many on Jones St and it never comes out right.

Too many fuckin' trees in the background now!

Voodoo and I drank in the "Slaughtered Lamb" on the corner of Jones/W4th on the day after the Stones MSG show in 2002. Great little pub. I went back there in 2006. Bob & Suze's first New York apartment was above 161 West 4th Street which is literally just across the street from where the two streets intersect.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #12 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 11:08am
The Slaughtered Lamb is still going strong and pouring well.
Receiving some nice competition on Bleeker and Jones now from my friends bar called "Blind Tiger Ale House" - best rotating beer selection in NYC - but is constantly far too over packed.

You shall be greeted.

Justin Townes Earle has a new album out....
http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/artist/justin-townes-earle

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)