Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Holly's legacy beats on (Read 4,817 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Holly's legacy beats on
Jan 25th, 2009 at 6:46am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Holly's legacy beats on

By KYLE MUNSON
January 23, 2009
DesMoines Register

Fifty years ago, Graham Nash stood on a street corner in his hometown of Salford, England, with his best friend, Alan Clarke, and wept.

The source of their sadness was news from 4,000 miles away and across the Atlantic Ocean - a frozen field north of Clear Lake, where the airplane carrying Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. "the Big Bopper" Richardson crashed on Feb. 3, 1959, killing the three rock stars from the Winter Dance Party tour as well as their local pilot, Roger Peterson.

"It was very traumatic for me," said Nash, who was only 17 years old that day. He went on to form the Hollies with Clarke in 1962. They found themselves among a rising tide of '60s rock musicians on both sides of the pond who owed a huge musical debt to the innovations of the Winter Dance Party artists.

Today it might be tempting to sum up the musical legacies of Holly, Valens and the Bopper in terms of Don McLean's landmark 1971 tune "American Pie" (that forever dubbed the tragedy the Day the Music Died), the biopics (1978's "The Buddy Holly Story" and 1987's "La Bamba") and the annual "oldies" rock tribute concerts at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, site of the trio's final performance on Feb. 2, 1959.

But today's musicians still continually claim Holly as a primary songwriting influence; celebrated indie singer-songwriter M. Ward, for instance, releases a new album Feb. 17 that includes a cover of Holly's "Not Fade Away." And younger music fans are discovering classic rock in greater numbers as the songs flow freely from iTunes and other online, digital sources.

Valens is revered for his guitar technique and as the prototypical Latino rocker who anticipated the careers of everybody from Santana to Los Lobos and Los Lonely Boys.

The Bopper wrote country music hits for other artists and is credited with creating the first distinct music video.

"They are all different but of the same era - pioneers, artists that really did catch the ear of the world, not just America," said Terry Stewart, president of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. The Bopper has yet to join Holly and Valens as an official Rock Hall inductee, but the museum is co-producing a series of events Wednesday, Feb. 2 at the Surf to commemorate the enduring influence of all three artists.

Back in 1959 the Winter Dance Party served first and foremost as a teen dance that left the adult world unmoved - much in the same way that today's Disney heartthrob chart-toppers, the Jonas Brothers, while not poised for artistic impact on par with Holly, play to a predominantly teen fanbase.

Now that the teens of 1950s rock have long since grown up and are retiring, the likes of Buddy and the Beatles have in a way become canonized as classics. And it's no great stretch to imagine that Bruce Springsteen might even cover a Holly song during his halftime performance next weekend at the Super Bowl.

Musicians young and old now trace the musical thread of rock history back to the Day the Music Died.

"Buddy Holly totally was the model for the Beatles and everything that came after," said Dion DiMucci, the Bronx-born rock troubadour with blues roots and a doo-wop streak who remains the sole surviving headliner from the 1959 tour. "He was self-contained, he wrote, he had two guitars, bass and drums. He was the whole model of that."

"(Holly) was the essence of the first real rock 'n' roll band," agreed John Mueller, who today performs as Holly on his own Winter Dance Party tribute tour. "And when that went away with this tragic event, I think it left a huge hole. It didn't really start comin' back until ... the Beatles basically were doing Buddy Holly songs ... but in a little more aggressive, little more '60s kind of way."

The fledgling Beatles, as the Quarry Men, recorded Holly's "That'll Be the Day" as their first official tune before renaming themselves with a nod to Holly's band, the Crickets.

The Rolling Stones introduced themselves to America in 1964 with a cover of Holly's "Not Fade Away."

A decade after the death of his hero, Graham Nash found wider fame and became an emblem of the Woodstock generation with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. On Feb. 2 he will finally make his first pilgrimage to the Surf and Clear Lake when he headlines the capstone concert of the commemorative "50 Winters Later" events there. The star-studded musical lineup includes the Crickets, Los Lobos and a house band featuring key Rolling Stones sidemen (Chuck Leavell, Bobby Keys).

“To be invited to go and play on the 50th anniversary, I just couldn’t refuse,” said Nash, who also will mark his 67th birthday on Feb. 2.

The notion seems almost silly today, but 50 years ago not even the musical pioneers themselves were certain that rock ’n’ roll would survive much into the 1960s, whether before or after the Day the Music Died.

George Lucas’ 1973 cinematic love letter to teen car culture of the early 1960s, “American Graffiti,” includes the memorable line: “Rock ’n’ roll’s been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died.”

Today it’s taken for granted that Holly, Valens, the Bopper and their peers — Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, etc. — helped create a global youth movement that drove a wedge between mature adults and their restless kids. The post-war baby boom, teens’ disposable income, the spread of television, mass-produced vinyl 45s and LPs — many trends converged to enable the rise of rock in the ’50s, but the insistent beat of the music itself has sustained it most of all.

Dion bristles at the thought that the innovations of the ’50s were overshadowed by wilder experimentation in the ’60s; to him they’re both foundations of guitar rock.

“There’s two eras when guitar giants walked the earth: the ’50s and the ’60s,” he said. “It was like the Chuck Berry era, and the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix era.”

How Holly, Valens and the Bopper might have figured into the evolution of rock in the ’60s and beyond can provide endless speculation. Holly’s widow, Maria Elena Holly, said that her late husband longed to collaborate with soul “genius” Ray Charles.

“To me, he was a sort of a visionary even though he was 22 years old,” she said. “I always call him the old soul, because he came with ideas at that time that are happening now.”

To Graham Nash’s ears, any songwriter today who crafts a catchy pop tune has something in common with the 1959 Winter Dance Party.

“To me, the art of song writing is simplicity, and Buddy’s songs were incredibly simple, incredibly melodic,” said Nash, who hears much of Buddy in the songs of, say, modern troubadour Beck.

More examples of Holly’s enduring sound:

• The 1994 song and music video “Buddy Holly” remains a signature hit for rock band Weezer.

• Billy McGuigan, a veteran performer in the title role of the musical “Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story” and his own “Rave On” touring revue of Holly songs, hears Holly in the punk-pop of Green Day and the bluesy indie rock of the White Stripes.

• Like the Hollies and the Beatles, bands continue to name themselves after the 1950s pioneers: Witness Danish rock duo the Raveonettes.

Terry Stewart of the Rock Hall traces the Winter Dance Party’s musical heritage back to African drumbeats and brings it back around to the present.

“As it goes on it mutates into everything that we celebrate today, everything up to hip-hop, which is hard for a lot of people to understand,” he said. “But hip-hop is nothing more than R&B 50 years later, being done with different instrumentation and a different feel.”

Whether classic rock is defined as Buddy Holly, James Brown, the Beatles, the Clash or Nirvana, young rock fans have increasingly adopted a “broad definition of this music that occurred over a long period of time that their parents grew up with, and … it shows you that they are listening more than ever to the music that came ahead of whatever’s on the radio.”

In other words, the very technology that has been largely blamed for the decline of the music industry’s business model — digital recordings freely shared online — also is helping to preserve and promote the roots of rock ’n’ roll among its newest fans.

Compared to 1972, when Don McLean’s “American Pie” hit No. 1 on the pop charts, or 1978, when Gary Busey starred in “The Buddy Holly Story,” the music of the Winter Dance Party artists is more widely available than ever before.

Rock ’n’ roll’s history and future will meet later this month in Clear Lake.

“Going back to play in that very ballroom on the 50th anniversary — that’s kind of scary to me,” Nash said. “I love it.”

Tracing their roots: The Beatles and beyond
"One of the main things about the Beatles is that we started out writing our own material. People these days take it for granted that you do, but nobody used to then. John and I started to write because of Buddy Holly. It was like, 'Wow! He writes and is a musician.' ... In our imaginations back then, John was Buddy and I was Little Richard or Elvis."
- Paul McCartney of the Beatles, "The Beatles Anthology," 2000

"To guys of my age at the time, if you were the least bit interested in music, Buddy was the one, because he sang and was very self-contained. Elvis was fantastic, but because Buddy had glasses and looked a bit like a bank clerk, you could say to yourself, 'Well, it's not just for guys who look like Elvis,' because otherwise it was sort of unattainable."
- Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones, "According to the Rolling Stones," 2003

"When I was 16 or 17 years old I went to see Buddy Holly play in Duluth, National Guard Armory. And I was three feet away from him, and he looked at me. And I just have some kind of feeling that he was - I don't know how or why - I know he was with us all the time we were making this record in some kind of way."
- Bob Dylan, Album of the Year acceptance speech at the Grammys for "Time Out of Mind," February 1998

"When I think of Buddy Holly I think of the ... purest form of rock 'n' roll. ... And if we want to change things, if anybody wants to change anything in this business ... let's get back to that."
- Shawn Crahan of Slipknot, interview with Des Moines Register reporter Joe Lawler, 2009

"Bo (Diddley)'s rhythm was first borrowed by Buddy Holly, later by me for 'Magic Bus.'"
- Pete Townshend of the Who, Entertainment Weekly, June 2008

"As a musician and singer (Holly) had a style of singing that we all try to at some point emulate. If you don't do it exactly the way he did it, at least it's a thing always in the back of your head."
- Billy Bob Thornton, interview with Des Moines Register reporter Joe Lawler, 2008

"The great thing about Buddy Holly is his songs had a rhythm and bluesey kind of feel, super catchy with really strong vocal melodies. That's what I really liked. Later on I really appreciated that he played a Strat while other guys played hollow body. Part of his sound was the way he played that Fender, and I really appreciated it."
- Kirk Hammett of Metallica, interview with Des Moines Register reporter Joe Lawler,
----------------------------------------------------------

New Holly collections in stores
Jan. 27 — “Down the Line: The Rarities”: Two CDs, 59 songs, from a raw 1949 home recording in Lubbock, Texas, to the undubbed “apartment tapes” recorded in December 1958 and January 1959 in the New York flat Buddy Holly shared with wife Maria Elena. Also heard are Holly’s 1952 rockabilly recordings as Buddy & Bob (with Bob Montgomery) and the early garage rock tapes of the Crickets.

Feb. 10 — “Memorial Collection”: Three CDs, 60 songs, a sampling from Buddy & Bob to the “apartment tapes,” with all the essential hits between.

http://cmsimg.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bildeSite=D2&Date=20090123&Ca...
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2009 at 6:56am by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Holly's legacy beats on
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 6:19pm

Thanks for posting, MM.

Best Buy's got a two week exclusive on 'Memorial Collection'.
Comes out Tuesday.

My local indie record store's hosting "Buddy Holly Lives" next Saturday.

Looking forward to it...
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2009 at 6:38pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 2:41am
get the Purple Chick 10- cd set "THe Complete Buddy Holly"

it's exceptional.  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

it can be found all over the web, to download, as a torrent.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 4:37am
amazing photos from the Winter Dance Party 1959,
that are in the public domain, can be viewed here:-

http://www.buddyhollyonline.com/mainwdp.html

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 8:18am

Waylon Jennings, Buddy Holly, Tommy Allsup

Fiesta Ballroom,
Montevideo, MN

27th Jan 1959

Ade & Tommy Allsup,

The Half Moon, Putney, London

June 2008

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 9:12am
Bob Dylan - "Buddy Holly looked at me"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ms8I2QIoczc

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 11:56am
Buddy Holly was one of the true greats, I remember my older Sister playing his music when I used to go over for supper, she loved B.H., I think my fav. of his is "Rave On" with the way that he stutters in the beginning, a-well-a well a-well the way you, etc.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 6:53pm
Ade wrote on Jan 26th, 2009 at 4:37am:
amazing photos from the Winter Dance Party 1959,
that are in the public domain, can be viewed here:-

http://www.buddyhollyonline.com/mainwdp.html

Some amazing pix on that site! Love the ones with the girls and the Big Bopper---and then, 40 years later, with BB Jr....

LOVE your pic with Allsup, Ade! Really cool... Smiley

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 4:00am
thanks Sioux  Smiley

Chuck Leavell & Bobby Keys are confirmed, to play
as members of the 'House Band' at the Surf Ballroom on Feb 2nd

http://www.50winterslater.com/events.html#jan28

MONDAY, February 2nd, 2009*

SURF BALLROOM/GIFT SHOP:
Hours: 6:00pm - close

EXHIBIT/DISPLAY: “SPECIAL TRIBUTE COLLECTION”:
Time: 6:00pm - close
Event Description: Tom Fontaine's Rock and Roll Investments will present a special tribute collection exhibit featuring personal items, contracts, lyrics, autographs, etc. belonging to Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. “The Big Bopper Richardson.” Bonus items from The Beatles (celebrating the 45th Anniversary of first arrival in the US), Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison etc. will also be on display during this time. Event open to ticketed 50 Winters Later concert-goers only.

CONCERT: 50 Winters Later Commemorative Concert
Artists Scheduled to Appear:
Tommy Allsup
Big Bopper JR
The Crickets
Pat DiNizio of the Smithereens
Joe Ely
Wanda Jackson
Los Lobos
Los Lonely Boys
Delbert McClinton
Chris Montez
Cousin Brucie Morrow
Graham Nash
Peter & Gordon
Sir Tim Rice
Bobby Vee
and special guests TBA
House Band:
Kenny Aronoff
Chuck Leavell
Bobby Keys
   Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?
Hutch Hutchinson
Doors Open: 6:00pm
Concert: 7:00pm
Tickets: $85

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 6:31pm
Wow, that is QUITE a line up! Grin Cool

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 2:27am
Rock fans head to Iowa to recall day music died

By MARCO SANTANA –

CLEAR LAKE, Iowa (AP) — It's been 50 years since a single-engine plane crashed into a snow-covered Iowa field, instantly killing three men whose names would become enshrined in the history of rock 'n' roll.

The passing decades haven't diminished fascination with that night on Feb. 2, 1959, when 22-year-old Buddy Holly, 28-year-old J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson and 17-year-old Ritchie Valens performed in Clear Lake and then boarded the plane for a planned 300-mile flight that lasted only minutes.

"It was really like the first rock 'n' roll landmark; the first death," said rock historian Jim Dawson, who has written several books about music of that era. "They say these things come in threes. Well, all three happened at the same time."

Starting Wednesday, thousands of people are expected to gather in the small northern Iowa town where the rock pioneers gave their last performance. They'll come to the Surf Ballroom for symposiums with the three musicians' relatives, sold-out concerts and a ceremony as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame designates the building as its ninth national landmark.

And they'll discuss why after so many years, so many people still care about what songwriter Don McLean so famously called "the day the music died."

"It was the locus point for that last performance by these great artists," said Terry Stewart, president and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. "It warrants being fixed in time."

Clear Lake is an unlikely spot for a rock 'n' roll pilgrimage — especially in winter. The resort town of about 8,000 borders its namesake lake, and on winter days the cold and wind make the community 100 miles north of Des Moines anything but a tourist destination.

The crash site is on private property, a five-mile drive from Clear Lake and half-mile walk off the road. Corn grows high in adjacent fields during the summer, but in winter the fields are covered with snow and a path to the small memorial is often thick with ice. The memorial features a small cross and thin metal guitar and records, all of which are draped in flowers during the summer.

"It's a much nicer trip in the summer," said Jeff Nicholas, a longtime Clear Lake resident who heads the Surf Ballroom's board of directors. "But in the winter, you get more of a feel of what it was like."

No one tracks the number of visitors, but fans stop by throughout the year and on some summer days visitors to the crash site can create the oddity of a corn field traffic jam.

Stewart said the deaths still resonate because they occurred at a time when rock 'n' roll was going through a transition, of sorts. The sound of Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Holly was making way for the British Invasion of the mid-1960s.

"The music was shifting and changing at that point," he said. "The crash put a punctuation point on the change."

All three musicians influenced rock and roll in their own way.

Holly's career was short, but his hiccup-vocal style, guitar play and songwriting talents had tremendous influence on later performers. The Beatles, who formed about the time of the crash, were among his early fans and fashioned their name after Holly's band, The Crickets. Holly's hit songs include "That'll Be The Day," "Peggy Sue" and "Maybe Baby."

Richardson, "The Big Bopper," is often credited with creating the first music video with his recorded performance of "Chantilly Lace" in 1958, decades before MTV.

And Valens was one of the first musicians to apply a Mexican influence to rock 'n' roll. He recorded his huge hit "La Bamba" only months before the accident.

The plane left the airport in nearby Mason City about 1 a.m., headed for Moorhead, Minn., with the musicians looking for a break from a tiring, cold bus trip through the Upper Midwest.

It wasn't until hours later that the demolished plane was found, crumpled against a wire fence. Investigators believe the pilot, who also died, became confused amid the dark, snowy conditions and rammed the plane into the ground.

The crash set off a wave of mourning among their passionate, mostly young fans across the country. Then 12 years later the crash was immortalized as "the day the music died" in McLean's 1971 song, "American Pie."

Vonnie Amosson, who manages the Veterans of Foreign Wars hall in Clear Lake, said that ever since the plane crash, the community has embraced the tragedy. It's a continues stream of tourism dollars, and the town's chamber of commerce estimates that this year's events, dubbed "50s in February," will generate more than $4 million for Clear Lake's economy.

"It's kind of sad that that is what we are known for," Amosson said. "But on the other part of it, I think the whole '50's in February' weekend is a huge memorial and it's an honor to them."

In part because of its role in rock history, the Surf Ballroom has retained its vintage look, with a 6,000-square-foot dance floor, ceiling painted to resemble a sky, and original cloud machines on either side of the room. Ten Buddy Holly banners line the wall opposite the stage. The 2,100-capacity ballroom still hosts many national and regional performers, most of whom add their names to a backstage wall that is now crowded with drawings and signatures.

"It's quite a special place," said Nicholas, the Surf board member. "This place looks just like it did in 1959."

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 8:31am
Crying, Waiting, Hoping: The Story of Buddy Holly's Last Tour

Saturday 31 January 2009
1900-2000

Steve Harley tells the story of the 'Winter Dance Party', an ill-advised bus tour of the Midwest, which ended tragically with the deaths of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper.

The sound of Buddy Holly And The Crickets prefigured the coming wave of rock 'n' rollers in the Sixties, influencing musicians like The Hollies and The Beatles. In the aftermath of his death, Holly's legend has grown in books, on stage, and on screen.

This programme looks at the personal and business circumstances which led Buddy Holly to embark on this relatively second-division tour, and the seemingly unrelated incidents that conspired to bring about his death.

It also covers the legal issues which have affected Buddy Holly's legacy and re-assesses the often-overlooked talents of Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper.

The programme features new interviews with the two surviving members of Holly`s touring band, guitarist Tommy Allsup and drummer Carl Bunch, as well as contributions from Crickets' drummer Jerry `J.I` Allison and guitarist Sonny Curtis.

There are also memories and thoughts from Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Keith Richards, Don Everly, Hank Marvin, Carl Perkins, Bobby Vee, Little Richard, Los Lobos, Tony Hicks of The Hollies, Mike Pender of the Searchers, Maria Elena Holly and Don Mclean.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/documentaries/50s_buddy.shtml

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

zooeyglass
Rocks Off Regular

Seeker of truth and, regrettably,
finder of truth

USA
Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 9:46am
Ade, thanks so much for all this info!  My mom was a huge Holly fan so I grew up listening to him -- it's great to see him being remembered this way, his influence was tremendous.

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #13 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 10:20am
you're very welcome.

get hold of a copy of Rolling Stone magazine, for a look at
the first ever published photo, from the Surf Ballroom , 2/2/59
...the holy (or should that be holly?) grail , for us Buddy fans.

http://rocksoff.org/messageboard/YaBB.pl?num=1233067917

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 2:35am
Holly fans come from near and far

http://www.globegazette.com/articles/2009/01/28/news/latest/doc498109e90dcd65560...

CLEAR LAKE —

British Buddy Holly fans make the pilgrimage to Clear Lake every year for the annual tribute concerts at the Surf Ballroom.

But this is the first time Roger Johnson of Leeds, England, and his family have made the trip.

Johnson said one reason they came is that it’s the 50th anniversary of the Winter Dance Party at the Surf. Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens were killed in a plane crash after the concert.

“There will never be another 50th,” Johnson said. “It’s awesome to be a part of it.”

Johnson, who came to a 50 Winters Later reception at the Clear Lake Arts Center Wednesday with his wife, Rita, and their grown children, Richard and Ruth, said they are big Holly fans, but even bigger fans of Bobby Vee, one of the performers this year.

They have met him in person a number of times.

“Bobby tells us we are his Yorkshire VIPs. That’s spelled V-E-E-I-P-S,” Roger said.

The Johnsons have seen Vee perform in England. Just before coming to Clear Lake for 50 Winters Later, they were on a Caribbean cruise where Vee was one of the performers.

Roger said he is looking forward to seeing The Crickets perform at the Surf, in addition to Vee.

“Everyone who has been here has told us we are going to love it,” he said.

Another visitor from across the Atlantic is Torbjorn Lorentsen, who is from northern Norway.

Lorentsen came to the Surf five years ago to see Merle Haggard perform.

“It’s an interesting place,” he said.

Lorentsen was 15 when Holly died, but he didn’t know anything about him at the time because his town had only one radio station and it didn’t play his music.

He said he learned about Holly from reading a biography of Waylon Jennings, who performed with him that night.

Among the North Iowa fans attending Wednesday’s reception was Dennis Tierney of Charles City.

Tierney came with his son, Brad Tierney, a 1991 Charles City High School graduate now living in North Liberty.

The younger Tierney, who has a pair of Buddy Holly-style glasses he wears just for the annual celebration at the Surf, said he inherited his love for Holly and other early rock ’n’ roll performers from his Baby Boomer parents.

He has several ’50s-related drawings he did on display in the current exhibit at the Clear Lake Arts Center, including a portrait of Elvis.

He said he is looking forward to this year’s celebration because he thinks the 50th anniversary will attract people who don’t normally attend.

“The atmosphere should be great,” he said.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #15 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 2:54am
rumours are circulating, amongst us Holly fans,
that Paul McCartney, will be putting in an appearance,
at The Surf show, on monday.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #16 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 5:31am
everything you need to know, regarding the Purple Chick 10-cd set, can
be viewed here (incl. downloadable artwork)

http://www.bigozine2.com/features06/BHcomplete.html

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #17 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 6:40am
BBC-4 are showing a Buddy documentary (incl. Keith interview)
and the Gary Busey movie, on wednesday 4th February.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/programmes/schedules/2009/02/04

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #18 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 2:12am
Why Buddy Holly is still pop’s hero

Chas Hodges

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article5...

I enjoyed John Gribben’s piece on Buddy Holly, who died 50 years ago on Tuesday, (The Times, January 16), but I don’t think his reasoning as to why Buddy is still so popular today is good enough. So how? He was the first man to mix original melody with rock’n’roll.

I’ve become a friend of Jerry Allison, who was the drummer and wrote a lot of songs with Buddy: That’ll Be the Day, Think It Over. I stayed with him in Nashville and said to him one night: “Do you realise it was you and Buddy Holly who actually put melody into rock’n’roll?” The Beatles wouldn’t have been the Beatles without Buddy Holly: he showed them the way forward.

I first heard Buddy Holly in 1957, singing That’ll Be the Day on a programme called Six Five Special on the BBC. They used to play records — they didn’t have videos in those days — and they’d get the kids to dance. I became an immediate fan. I had enough money for one record at the music stall in Edmonton Market and I had to choose between Buddy’s Listen to Me and Breathless by Jerry Lee Lewis. I chose Listen to Me. He’d overdubbed his own voice — it gave off an eerie, haunting sound that I’d never heard on record before.

When Buddy’s new records came out, unlike Lewis or Little Richard, they always sounded different. Not too different, but enough to make you think a bit. The only band since then who have give me the same feeling have been the Beatles.

We lost a driving force with Buddy Holly

I was in a skiffle group at the time and I learnt a lot of Buddy’s guitar chords: the quick changes in Peggy Sue were quite nifty at the time and I was really pleased with myself when I pulled them off. My playing improved enormously after listening to his records, and we used to play his songs on stage.

I was 15 when he died. I remember the kid next door but one knocking at the door and saying: “Guess what, Buddy Holly’s been killed in a plane crash!” My stupid response was: “Just as long as it isn’t Jerry Lee Lewis.” Why did I say that?

I remember the papers saying what crap music rock’n’roll was, but when he died they were saying: “What a talent, a contender for the throne of Elvis.”

I joined a band called Mike Berry and the Outlaws and we did a tribute to Buddy Holly, which was in the charts in 1961. We recorded it with the producer Joe Meek, who was obsessed by Buddy Holly. He used to have seances and say, “I spoke to Buddy Holly last night,” and he committed suicide on the anniversary of his death.

If Buddy were alive today, he would have loved the Beatles saying it was him that influenced them but I don’t think he would really have been fully aware of it. He wouldn’t realise quite how important he was.

Chas & Dave: All About Us, by Chas Hodges, is published by John Blake

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #19 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 2:54am
Local couple remembers 'The Day The Music Died'

http://www.timesrepublican.com/page/content.detail/id/514203.html?nav=5002

The rock 'n' roll craze: When teenage boys wore pompadours and girls taped dreamy pictures of Elvis onto their bedroom walls.

It was 1959 and wrapping up in Green Bay, Wisc., some musicians piled inside of a bus and drove to the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake where they began setting up for another gig on their 24-day tour.

At the same time, Ron Barth and his wife Charlene were anticipating the Feb. 2 show, entitled "Winter Dance Party," purchasing two tickets almost four months in advance. He was 23 years old and she 22. The pair lived in Mason City and only 9 miles away from the venue where they danced nearly every Saturday night.

"We saw Johnny Cash, Jimmy Dean and Loretta Lynn," Ron said. "Whenever they'd bring in a new star, we'd always go to the Surf."

And knowing Dion & The Belmonts, Buddy Holly & The Crickets, Jiles "Big Bopper" Richardson and Ritchie Valens would be together at the same venue, the pair was going - no matter what.

The show came and went and with a fun-filled evening at an end, the Barth's left for home, only to confront blowing snow and a car ride atop ice-covered roads. Approaching two hours, they had yet to reach the city limits.

"Why we or anyone else were even out that night was stupid," Ron said.

Meanwhile, the bands were packing up gear with dread. Barely half-way through the tour, rigors were taking an irritable toll. The bus had a broken heating system which caused Carl Bunch, Holly's drummer, to leave the day before with frost-bitten feet. Richardson had the flu.

Reaching limits of his own, Holly told band mates Tommy Allsup and Waylon Jennings that after the show, they would ride to the Mason City Municipal Airport where he had charted a flight to Fargo, N.D., then on to their next stop in Minnesota.

After debating on the airfield as to whom would be in tow, the "Big Bopper", Valens and Holly prevailed; each entered the four-passenger plane - oblivious to a pilot and his ignorance of the instrument panel or weather advisories.

At 1:05 a.m. and regardless of the blizzard, the entourage left the runway.

Relieved to be almost home, the Barth's happened ironically upon a police officer who informed them a plane had gone down near the airport. A sinking feeling overtook them and "we just knew right away what that was about."

Amid the brisk hours of the morning, headlines revealed a gruesome tragedy - all aboard the airplane had perished. Barth and his wife were literally stunned.

"It was like losing someone in the family because we followed them since they started out. We were there the night they died," Ron said, then paused. "Awful."

Now residents of Marshalltown, the Barth's sometimes wonder where the promising entertainers would have gone in their careers. Ron claimed Holly and his music were something different which placed him 30 years ahead of his time.

"He was just tremendous, playing his own guitar leads 99 percent of the time - just unbelievable, and Valens was the same way for his age. He was so young; it was a shame," he added.

Though Don McLean's 1971 song "American Pie" refers to Feb. 2 as "the day the music died," fans world wide have kept the Winter Dance Party very alive. With this year marking the 50th anniversary of the accident, thousands are expected to walk Iowa's frozen fields and visit the memorialized crash site.

Starting off a week-long celebration Jan. 28, The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame & Museum will dedicate the Surf Ballroom as a historic landmark.

The commemoration will offer symposiums, educational programs and concerts, along with special appearances from Maria Elena Holly, Tommy Allsup, Big Bopper Jr., Carl Bunch, Los Lobos, The Crickets, Bob Hale, Graham Nash, Delbert McClinton and others. A musical tribute will occur on the Surf stage Feb. 2 featuring an all-star lineup performing where they played five decades ago. The concert is slated to air nationally during the 2009 PBS television season.

As for the Barth's, they have never attended a dance party since that night and are not sure why.

"We're very fortunate. That is national history and we were a part of it," Ron said. "Not everybody can say that ... yeah, it was quite an evening."

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #20 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 4:33am
Tyrades! Rave On, Buddy Holly Fans

Friday, January 30, 2009
By Danny Tyree
February 3, 2009: that'll be the day.
That's the 50th anniversary of the tragic plane crash that claimed the lives of rock and roll stars J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson, Ritchie Valens, and Buddy Holly.

There are a number of ways to mark the anniversary of "the day the music died."

Holly hometown Lubbock, Texas, plans tours, panel discussions, and other events on Feb. 2 and 3.

The Smithereens will perform a tribute to Holly at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa (the last place Holly performed) on Feb. 2.

You could reminisce over ways Holly's music has touched your life. I was born the year after Holly died, but during my one-weekend career as a DJ at WJJM (1982), I proudly opened my first show with "Oh Boy!"

You can play Linda Ronstadt's 1977 cover version of "It's So Easy" over and over, watch Gary Busey in 1978's "The Buddy Holly Story" (mindful of the standard biopic inaccuracies, shortcuts and distortions), or lock yourself in your room and listen to the 3-CD "Memorial Collection" or 2-CD "Down The Line: Rarities" (both to be released Jan. 28).

Imitate one of the aforementioned Lubbock panels and speculate on where Holly would be now if not for the plane crash. Would he be an elder statesman of music, like Tony Bennett? (Even though Holly's national fame lasted only 18 months, and he was only 22 when he died, "Rolling Stone Magazine" in 2004 ranked him #13 on its list of 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.) Would he be a reclusive retiree? Would he have reinvented himself a dozen times over the decades?

Marvel at just how much the music industry has changed since Holly's time. We now have stereo FM radio, satellite radio, MTV, and VH1 -- but no "American Bandstand." Digital downloads, CDs, iPods and ring tones have changed our relationship with music. Radio station consolidation has tightened playlists and reduced DJ flexibility.

Debate the cryptic references in 1971's "American Pie" (some observers see Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, and Janis Joplin hidden in the lyrics, but give it your own spin) and briefly share Don McLean's longing for a simpler era, before overt sexuality, drug abuse, and social protest took over rock.

Encourage an "oldies" radio station to give more airtime to Holly and his contemporaries. Many of today's oldies programmers think rock and roll history started with the British Invasion or even Woodstock. Next, it'll be starting with Milli Vanilli.

On the other hand, refrain from hypocrisy. It's easy to snicker at the rigid establishment figures who banned Holly's innovations as "jungle music," but some fans of Holly's music have become locked into one sliver of musical history. Come out of your comfort zone for at least one day. It's hard to celebrate the rebelliousness of Holly by turning a deaf ear to a new artist or new genre. Give a chance to someone else who hears the music in his head and wants to share it.

Holly deserves to be more than a fleeting glimpse of a young guy with geeky eyeglasses surrounded by coonskin caps, Hula Hoops, and "I Like Ike" buttons. Do your part this February and guarantee that the legacy of Buddy Holly and the other pioneers of rock and roll will "Not Fade Away."

Note: Danny Tyree welcomes e-mail at [email protected].

http://www.marshalltribune.com/story/1497546.html

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #21 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 9:43am

http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bildeNewTbl=1&Avis=C4&Dato=20090130&Kateg...

A Don McLean autographed copy of the lyrics for the song "American Pie" are seen on a wall in the green room at the Surf Ballroom

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

zooeyglass
Rocks Off Regular

finder of truth

USA
Reply #22 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 5:25pm
Thanks again, Ade  Smiley

Ade, when you met Tommy Allsup were you able to talk with him about Buddy at all?

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #23 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 11:15am
Why Buddy Holly will never fade away

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandjazzmusic/4402149/Why-Buddy-Holl...

Fifty years after Buddy Holly's death, a leading critic argues that the influence of the man who created rock music is as great as ever

By Philip Norman

American idol: Buddy Holly was the model that countless stars followed
On the basis of simply counting heads, rock music surpasses even film as the 20th century's most influential art form. By that reckoning, there is a case for calling Buddy Holly, who died in a plane crash 50 years ago next Tuesday, the century's most influential musician.

Holly and Elvis Presley are the two seminal figures of 1950s rock 'n' roll, the place where modern rock culture began. Virtually everything we hear on CD or see on film or the concert stage can be traced back to those twin towering icons – Elvis with his drape jacket and swivelling hips and Buddy in big black glasses, brooding over the fretboard of his Fender Stratocaster guitar.

But Presley's contribution to original, visceral rock 'n' roll was little more than that of a gorgeous transient; having unleashed the world-shaking new sound, he soon forsook it for slow ballads, schlock movie musicals and Las Vegas cabarets. Holly, by contrast, was a pioneer and a revolutionary. His was a multidimensional talent which seemed to arrive fully formed in a medium still largely populated by fumbling amateurs. The songs he co-wrote and performed with his backing band the Crickets remain as fresh and potent today as when recorded on primitive equipment in New Mexico half a century ago: That'll Be The Day, Peggy Sue, Oh Boy, Not Fade Away.

To call someone who died at 22 "the father of rock" is not as fanciful as it seems. As a songwriter, performer and musician, Holly is the progenitor of virtually every world-class talent to emerge in the Sixties and Seventies. The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, the Byrds, Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend and Bruce Springsteen all freely admit they began to play only after Buddy taught them how. Though normal-sighted as a teenager, Elton John donned spectacles in imitation of the famous Holly horn-rims and ruined his eyesight as a result.

Holly's voice is the most imitated, and inimitable, in rock. Hundreds of singers have borrowed its eccentric pronunciation and phrasing. None (except perhaps John Lennon) has exactly caught the curious lustre of its tone, its erratic swings from dark to light, from exuberant snarl to tender sigh, nor brought off the "Holly hiccough" which could fracture even the word "well" into eight syllables.

Unlike Presley and other guitar-toting idols of the mid-Fifties, Holly was a gifted instrumentalist who had grown up playing country music in his native West Texas. His playing style became as influential as his voice – the moody drama he could conjure from a shifting sequence of four basic chords, his incisive downstrokes and echoey descants. The deification of the rock guitarist, the sex appeal of the solid-body guitar, the glamour of the Fender brand: all were set in train by Buddy and his sunburst Strat.

Pop music has become an endless recycling, each new generation believing they are the first to discover its repertoire of "cool" and limited palette of sentiments and chords. In the genes of almost every band, Buddy Holly has been there, either by conscious assimilation or via his disciples. "Listen to any new release," says Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones, whose first killer riff was on the 1964 cover of Not Fade Away. "Buddy will be in it somewhere. His stuff just works."

Holly's time on the world stage was pitifully short, lasting only from September 1957, when That'll Be The Day became an international hit, to February 3, 1959, when he and two fellow performers, Ritchie Valens and J P "The Big Bopper" Richardson, fatally decided to fly from Clear Lake, Iowa, to Fargo, North Dakota, to avoid a freezing night on a tour bus. The crash of their chartered aircraft into a snowy stubble-field has become rock's most famous tragedy, enshrined by Don McLean's American Pie as ''the day the music died''.

In 16 crowded months, Holly had created a blueprint for enlightened rock stardom that every newcomer with any pretence at self-respect still aspires to follow. He was the first rock 'n' roller both talented and strong-minded enough to insist on the artistic control his musical heirs now take for granted. He was the first not only to write his own songs but also to arrange them, directing his backup musicians to his own exacting standards. He was the first to understand and experiment with studio technology, achieving effects with echo, double-tracking and overdubbing on primitive Ampex recorders which have never been bettered.

He was the first rock 'n' roller not to be a scowling pretty boy like Elvis – to be, in fact, angular and geeky-looking, with bad skin, discoloured teeth and glasses that did not acquire their stylish black frames until the last months of his life. He was the first to make it on sheer ability, energy and personality, appealing to a male audience as much as a female one, redefining the perception of good looks and style much as John Lennon and Mick Jagger would in the next decade.

The years since 1959 have seen many other great talents prematurely snuffed out. But Holly's death has a special poignancy. This was no rock 'n' roll roughneck, hell-bent on self-annihilation, but an amiable (and deeply religious) young Texan whose life had not the least taint of scandal, discredit or unkindness; who had recently married and was about to become a father; who went on tour through the snowy Midwest only because his ex-manager, Norman Petty, refused to pay his royalties; who took that fatal flight with his two colleagues only to snatch a few hours sleep in a hotel and get his laundry done.

His fans are numbered in the millions, and grow in number with each passing year. And dying so young, and so pure, as he did, he left them an extra gift. They can never be disillusioned.

'Buddy: the Definitive Biography of Buddy Holly' by Philip Norman has just been reissued in paperback by Macmillan at Ł7.99. See Tuesday's Daily Telegraph for details of how to claim a free Buddy Holly CD, with 22 tracks by Holly, The Big Bopper and Richie Valens

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #24 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 11:35am
zooeyglass wrote on Jan 30th, 2009 at 5:25pm:
Thanks again, Ade  Smiley

Ade, when you met Tommy Allsup were you able to talk with him about Buddy at all?  

Tommy has toured the UK the last 2 years, with Kevin Montgomery and his band (son of Bob).

They play small clubs and would you believe it, backrooms of pubs?  Huh

Kevin (who has a cult following and is a brilliant singer songwriter, in his own regard), starts the show, intoroducing Tommy onto stage. Between songs by Buddy, Bill Wills (Tommy has been a member of the Texas Playboys, as well as being a session musician, for just about every 20th century act, you can think of...i'm serious...the list of records, he features on his unbelievable).  Shocked

Inbetween songs, Kevin chats with Tommy, about Buddy, the songs, his career, the events of The Winter Dance Party, and of course, the coin-flip with Ritchie Valens.
You can hear a pin drop, when he speaks of these pivotal events, and he still chokes up, when he recalls, that he gave Buddy his wallet, to Buddy for i.d , to get his laundry cleaned.
When the plane crashed, and the bodies were recovered, Tomy's wallet was found in the debris, and the authorities, rang Tommy's mother, to tell her, Tommy was dead...it's so emotional to here him tell these stories, and to play the riffs on the records, that mean so much to so many people.

The 2nd half of the show, is opened up to the audience, with a relaxed Q&A session, and afterwards, Tommy is happy to pose for photos and sign memorabilia.
The man is a true gent, and i look forward to him (hopefully) touring the UK, again, this coming summer.
He's apparently working on his autobiography.... what a lifestory to tell. Smiley

Buddy Holly is my music hero, so to meet Tommy, who played such a pivotal role, in 20th century music history, is, for me, an amazing thing.  Smiley
...apologies for rambling on !
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2009 at 11:37am by Ade »  

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #25 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 3:17pm
Great articles, history and personal observations, Ade. Thanks so much! Smiley

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #26 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 4:03pm
Ade wrote on Jan 28th, 2009 at 8:31am:
Crying, Waiting, Hoping: The Story of Buddy Holly's Last Tour

Saturday 31 January 2009
1900-2000

Steve Harley tells the story of the 'Winter Dance Party', an ill-advised bus tour of the Midwest, which ended tragically with the deaths of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper.

The sound of Buddy Holly And The Crickets prefigured the coming wave of rock 'n' rollers in the Sixties, influencing musicians like The Hollies and The Beatles. In the aftermath of his death, Holly's legend has grown in books, on stage, and on screen.

This programme looks at the personal and business circumstances which led Buddy Holly to embark on this relatively second-division tour, and the seemingly unrelated incidents that conspired to bring about his death.

It also covers the legal issues which have affected Buddy Holly's legacy and re-assesses the often-overlooked talents of Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper.

The programme features new interviews with the two surviving members of Holly`s touring band, guitarist Tommy Allsup and drummer Carl Bunch, as well as contributions from Crickets' drummer Jerry `J.I` Allison and guitarist Sonny Curtis.

There are also memories and thoughts from Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Keith Richards, Don Everly, Hank Marvin, Carl Perkins, Bobby Vee, Little Richard, Los Lobos, Tony Hicks of The Hollies, Mike Pender of the Searchers, Maria Elena Holly and Don Mclean.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/documentaries/50s_buddy.shtml

this brilliant radio documentary, aired earlier this evening in the UK,
is now available for download, at Hungercity

http://www.hungercity.org/details.php?id=4597&viewcomm=26073#comm26073

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #27 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 6:03pm
Caught Vintage Vinyl's "Buddy Holly Lives" in store concert today featuring The Grip Weeds, McCarthy Trenching, Locksley, Nicole Atkins, The Kennedys, Willie Nile and Pat DiNizio.

Great stuff...

Pat DiNizio's also playing at the "50 Winters Later" event, and he let slip that Paul McCartney will be appearing on Monday night.

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2009 at 6:09pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #28 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 10:57pm
The Grip Weeds! The Grip Weeds!  Grin Love 'em.....met them after an intimate gig with a friend of mine....

IP Logged

zooeyglass
Rocks Off Regular

finder of truth

USA
Reply #29 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 10:56am
I just listened to the BBC program, excellent.  It's hard to believe now that the tour just continued. That Buddy was far more revered in the UK than in the US partly sums up why it took UK groups to initially push forward rock music in the 1960s.

Thanks again and again, Ade, for all you've shared  Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2009 at 11:47am by zooeyglass »  

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #30 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 1:36pm
zooeyglass wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 10:56am:
I just listened to the BBC program, excellent.  It's hard to believe now that the tour just continued. That Buddy was far more revered in the UK than in the US partly sums up why it took UK groups to initially push forward rock music in the 1960s.

he still is revered more in the UK, than his native US.  Wink

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #31 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 1:44pm
Maria Elena speaks

Buddy Holly's wife tells how she'll pay tribute with fans 50 years after tragedy

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/tv-showbiz-news/music-news/2009/02/01/buddy-holly-s-...

Feb 1 2009 By Billy Sloan Showbiz Editor

FEBRUARY 3, 1959 was the day the music died...when a plane crash claimed the lives of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper.

The tiny aircraft Holly hired to fly them to a gig plummeted to earth at 170mph in an Iowa snowstorm. Buddy was 22, The Big Bopper 27 and Ritchie just 17.

On the eve of the 50th anniversary of their deaths, Holly's widow told the Sunday Mail he only signed up for the fateful tour to earn money to prepare for the birth of their first child.

On Tuesday, Maria Elena Holly, 73, will gather with fans at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa - the venue for his last ever performance - to celebrate his life.

She was ill in bed with morning sickness when she heard the awful news.

Maria said: "I got a telephone call from a friend saying, 'Maria Elena, stay in bed and don't put the TV on'.

"Of course, I got up, turned it on and saw a news report saying Buddy, The Big Bopper and Ritchie had been killed.

"I collapsed crying my heart out and within minutes the house was besieged by newspaper men. I was devastated and the shock was so traumatic I later miscarried and lost our child."

One of the first telephone calls of condolence Maria Elena received was from a young American serviceman posted in Germany.

She said: "Elvis Presley called to say how sorry he was. Buddy had opened for Elvis in his home town of Lubbock, Texas, and they became good friends. They used to hang out." Maria Elena - from San Juan, Puerto Rico,

And it was love at first sight at least for the singer who had classic hits with songs such as That'll Be The Day, Not Fade Away and Peggy Sue. Maria Elena said: "I had never been out on a date with a guy in my life.

"I lived with my aunt who was very strict and didn't want me to hang around with musicians.

It wasn't that she didn't trust me - she just didn't want me to go out with every Tom, Dick and Harry and at that time rock'n'rollers had a very bad reputation.

"I used to mail Buddy's records out to radio disc jockeys but when he walked through the door I had no idea who he was.

"He asked me out on the spot and we went out for dinner that night."

Maria Elena and Buddy went on a date to PJB Arthur's Restaurant and she almost fell off her chair when he proposed, just five hours after first setting eyes on her.

She said: "He excused himself and left the table.

When he came back he had one arm behind his back.

Buddy pulled out a red rose and said, 'Will you marry me?' "I thought he was kidding.

But I think I'd fallen in love with him the minute he walked through the door."

The couple married two months later on August 15, 1958 in Lubbock.

Maria became pregnant and they moved into their own appartment.

But Holly was going through a bitter and costly legal dispute with record producer Norman Petty and the newlyweds struggled to pay bills.

Maria Elena said: "My aunt got us an apartment on 11th Street and she paid the bills because we had no money.

"Buddy wasn't very comfortable with that. His money was tied up in the difficult break up with Norman and he said, 'I need to do something.

I can't have your aunt pay for everything.

I'm supposed to take care of you.' "He decided to try to get a gig to earn some money."

Buddy agreed to top the bill of a two-week tour with The Big Bopper - DJ turned singer JP Richardson - who was promoting his now classic song Chantilly Lace - and heart-throb singer Ritchie Valens, who was launching his single Donna.

As they hit the road on the badly organised tour - in the grip of a sub-zero winter - conditions were spartan.

When the heating on the bus broke down Ritchie's drummer was taken to hospital suffering from frostbite After playing the Surf Ballroom, Buddy paid
108 to hire a Beechcraft Bonanza plane to transport him to the next show in Minnesota.

But he didn't tell Maria Elena he would be travelling by air instead of road.

She said: "Buddy called me every night from each gig but in Iowa he never mentioned a plane to me. He knew I didn't like those small aircraft.

"He'd get one of the guys to hold the telephone up while he was on stage singing his closing number True Love Ways - the song he wrote for me.

"He told me everybody had flu and as there was no road manager he took it upon himself to organise alternative transport.

"There were only three seats on the plane, one for Buddy and his guitarists Waylon Jennings and Tommy Allsup."

Then fate defined one of the most iconic moments in pop history.

The Big Bopper had flu and asked Buddy if he could take Waylon's seat. Ritchie pleaded with Tommy to swap places with him. The friends tossed a coin and when Valens called correctly he boarded the doomed flight.

"I hope your ol' bus freezes up again," joked Holly as they set off.

Waylon replied: "Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes." As news of the crash spread around the world fans mourned the death of the iconic Holly.

One teenage admirer was so moved he wrote a song about the incident years later when he became a musician himself.

His name was Don McLean and the song he wrote was the classic American Pie which includes the famous lyric, I can't remember if I cried/When I read about his widowed bride/But something touched me deep inside/The day the music died.

Holly's body lies in the City of Lubbock Cemetery beneath a headstone which carries the correct spelling of his surname - Holley - carved in the shape of his beloved Fender Stratocaster guitar.

Maria Elena, who eventually remarried and had three children, has never visited his graveside.

She divorced and is now a grandmother living in Dallas.

She admits Tuesday's commemorative celebrations will be very emotional.

But the devotion of fans has helped her over the years.

She said: "Fifty years after Buddy passed on his music is still alive.

His fans have stayed loyal and he'll always be remembered.

"That's something I take great comfort from.

Losing him was heartbreaking.

I'm thrilled his music is still played and enjoyed all over the world.

It means Buddy didn't die in vain."

Holly inspired a host of superstars including The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. John, Paul, George and Ringo named their group as a homage to his backing band The Crickets while Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts chalked up their first Top 10 hit with a cover of his song Not Fade Away in 1964.

Maria Elena says her husband would be amazed at his current status as a pop icon.

She said: "Buddy was not the kind of person to boast about his success.

"He never saw himself as a superstar.

He was just happy he was so prolific with his songwriting and that he was being accepted.

"He knew exactly what he wanted to do and in which direction he wanted his career to go.

He was a very modest man, it was never a case of look who I am.

"If he were alive today I think he would still have been writing songs and making music.

He wanted to get involved in all facets of the industry."

And what is Maria Elena's favourite Holly classic?

She said: "I love all of his songs because no two are like.

But I'd have to choose True Love Ways because it was our song.

"When he wrote it he said, 'This is for you'.

In every tour he did he played it last in the set.

"It's difficult for me to listen to True Love Ways if it comes on the radio.

I still get tears in my eyes and I have to stop and compose myself."

THE Very Best of Buddy Holly and The Crickets double CD and The Music of Buddy Holly: The Definitive Story DVD are released through Universal Records tomorrow.

Stage musical The Buddy Holly Story is at the King's Theatre, Glasgow from February 2-7 and Inverness Eden Court Theatre from April 13-18.

MAILFILE

HE was born Charles Hardin Holley in Lubbock, Texas, on September 7, 1936. His career lasted just 18 months yet he was hailed the most creative force in rock 'n' roll.

BUDDY'S first recording was a cover of Hank Snow's country song My Two Timin' Woman done on a borrowed tape machine. He turned to rock 'n' roll after Elvis Presley played in Lubbock.

HE signed a record deal with Decca in 1956 and recorded That'll Be The Day...his classic song inspired by a line spoken by John Wayne in the Western epic The Searchers.

WHEN Buddy first toured the UK in 1957 he appeared on top TV variety show Sunday Night At The London Palladium. Teenage viewers John Lennon and Paul McCartney became instant fans.

ROLLING Stone Keith Richards saw Holly play Not Fade Away and suggested his own group cover it. The Hollies were named to honour Buddy.

ANOTHER famous Holly fan was Bob Dylan. He saw him play just three nights before the plane crash.

HOLLY made it cool for pop singers to wear glasses. Look at Hank Marvin, Elvis Costello, Kurt Cobain, Jarvis Cocker and The Proclaimers.

PAUL McCARTNEY bought publishing rights to Holly's back catalogue and dressed as him in his 1980 Coming Up video.

IN 1987, Gary Busey was nominated for an Oscar for best actor when he starred in the The Buddy Holly Story.

HOLLY has influenced The Ramones, Run DMC and The Strokes. Blink 182 wrote Peggy Sue in his honour and Weezer have a song called Buddy Holly.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN plays Holly hits before every gig to help vibe him up. The Boss said: "That keeps me honest." - was a receptionist for Peer-Southern Music Publishing in New York when she first met Buddy in 1958.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #32 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 7:06am
Buddy Holly: the 50th anniversary of an unlikely legend

On the 50th anniversary of his death, we trace Buddy Holly's posthumous ascent from boy next door to rock and roll's first real artist.

By Neil McCormick

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturecritics/neilmccormick/4433091/Buddy-Ho...

An ordinary boy: Buddy Holly backstage in 1958 Photo: DICK COLE

He was the first of the dead rock stars. Buddy Holly's swift rise and tragic end set a template for a certain kind of posthumous rock idolatry. I wasn't even born when Holly was killed in a plane crash 50 years ago tomorrow, yet here we are still talking about him 50 years later, speculating on why he was so important to pop culture, wondering what would have become of him had he lived.

Yet, in so many ways, Holly seems an unlikely candidate for posthumous deification. Rock's death cults usually form around self-destructive rebels: Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Sid Vicious, Kurt Cobain (and, in rap, Tupac Shakur and The Notorious B.I.G.), characters who correspond to that melodramatic part of the teenage psyche that is ready to destroy the world and damn the consequences. Fresh faced, geeky, bespectacled, smiling and sweet voiced, Holly certainly doesn't conform to the cliché of living fast, dying young and leaving a beautiful corpse.

Had it been Elvis Presley in that plane, the pop world would have been shaken to its core, but would it have been so surprised? Elvis had an other-worldly quality, his greaseball surliness so threatening to America's vision of itself that they drafted him into the army and cut off his quiff. Holly had the demeanour of the boy next door, which is, perhaps, what made his death so truly shocking.

"That'll be the day-hay-hay when I die," he sang, but it was throwaway teen bravura, effective precisely because he couldn't imagine such a circumstance. There was no brooding foreboding in his music, which breathed with lightness and life, rhythmic zing, melodic air. He was innocence crushed, potential stamped out. Holly is such a compelling figure of tragedy because he embodies the terrible truth that death comes to everyone.

Two other rock and rollers died in that plane crash, but it is Holly we remember because his music was pitched at the highest level, with a quality and originality that has resonated throughout pop culture. At a time when most pop stars were still musical vehicles for songwriters and producers, Holly was the first complete artist in the modern way.

He was a singer-songwriter and self-producer who did about as much with four chords (at least one more than most rock and rollers of the era used) as it was possible to do. His Fender Stratocaster guitar licks are prototypes for rock's obsession with riffing, which Holly weaves through seamlessly structured, melodically expansive songs. The rhythm tracks are sprightly and inventive: listen to Cricket drummer Jerry Allison's rolling tom tom's on Peggy Sue, or the cardboard-box beat of Not Fade Away.

The lyrics are witty and conversational (full of flip teen phrases such as "maybe, baby" and "Oh, boy!", with the spoken vitality of real life and undercurrents of emotional depth: What To Do tackles heartbreak with gentle reflection rather than melodramatic angst. And Holly was a bold vocal stylist, who could split a syllable eight different ways at once. There is almost nothing to the lyric of Peggy Sue, yet his variations are like a comedic dare, constantly returning to the core phrase to invest it with another level of desire.

Holly came out of the country music tradition, which is reflected in the economy and wit of his writing. He played with the Crickets at high school but had his head turned after opening for Elvis Presley in 1955. It is reported that Holly changed the band's musical direction almost overnight. Yet he was almost the anti-Elvis. He cut records with guitar-twisting grooves that teenagers wanted to dance to, but there was simply nothing about Holly that evoked the revolutionary, sexually liberated spirit that made this youth movement so threatening to an older generation.

Indeed, Paul Anka (who toured on the same bill as Holly and wrote It Doesn't Matter Anymore for his friend) has claimed that Holly envied Anka's career as a mainstream pop idol and wanted to move his music in a more old-fashioned, romantic direction (as evinced on his posthumously released orchestral sessions, that gave us such Holly classics True Love Ways and the definitive cover of Raining In My Heart). Had he lived, I wonder would we even think of him now as a rock idol?

Yet Holly had a huge impact in his time, precisely because his apparent ordinariness made young musicians everywhere feel they could do what he was doing. "With Elvis, you thought, 'God, he's good looking.' With Buddy, it was like, 'God, he's the boy next door'," Paul McCartney recently acknowledged. "It was a particular bonus for John, who had horn-rimmed glasses but whipped them off whenever girls came near. Now he wore them proudly."

There was a real liberation in the unapologetic plainness of Holly's image. Frank Allen of the Searchers called it "the revenge of the nerd". But it was the undeniable quality of the music that made the revenge complete.

McCartney and Lennon were suitably enamoured to name their band after an insect in homage to the Crickets. The Beatles' mix of rock drive and pop melody, lashed together with harmonies, owes much to Holly's inspiration. The Rolling Stones chose a Buddy Holly track for their second single, Not Fade Away, investing it with a dark, sexy swagger that gave them their first hit. Bob Dylan was hugely inspired by Holly, catching a glimpse of his own possible future in this small-town geek who wrote and sang his own songs. That is a trio of artists who could be said to have shaped modern popular music. Holly may have played a greater part in all of that had he lived.

When he died, he was just 22 and had released only three albums. But he left a lot of music behind, songs that would subsequently be finished off by his collaborators, with new Holly recordings being released throughout the Sixties. In that sense, he really was a prototype for the necrophilia of rock culture.

It Doesn't Matter Anymore went to number one in Britain the week after the plane crash. The compilation The Buddy Holly Story remained in the charts for three years. In American Pie, Don McLean characterised the plane crash as the day the music died, but really, it is what has kept the music alive. Eternally fixed in his first surge of creative brilliance, Buddy Holly raves on for ever.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #33 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 7:08am

The Last Days Of Buddy Holly - Jonathan Cott - Rolling Stone Feb 2009

(thanks to Rockman @ IORR)

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

zooeyglass
Rocks Off Regular

finder of truth

USA
Reply #34 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 7:02pm
Ade wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 1:36pm:
zooeyglass wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 10:56am:

he still is revered more in the UK, than his native US.  Wink

I guess I agree and disagree -- yes from a musician's standpoint, but no from a fan's...

The last line of this article is probably one of the best ever written about Buddy Holly -- and courtesy of an American no less Smiley

What is Buddy Holly's legacy?
Texas singer died 50 years ago after creating music that has influenced generations of bands; exactly what his music means is still being questioned
By Joe Gross

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, February 02, 2009

Almost all brief careers in the public eye come with question marks next to them.

Would President Kennedy have kept us out of Vietnam in a second term? Would James Dean have turned into an indelible screen icon like Paul Newman or a fading character actor like Joseph Cotten?

And what would Buddy Holly, a 22-year-old kid from Lubbock, have done with the rest of his life had he not gone down in a small plane 50 years ago on Tuesday, in a freezing Iowa cornfield with a Texas radio DJ who had a fluke hit and a Latino rocker too young to vote ?

Holly's question mark is the largest in American popular music because it reflects two separate issues: What might he have done had he lived past 22, and what does the music he actually made mean?

Between early 1957 and early 1959, Holly did everything before anyone else, or better and more creatively than anyone else, so many things that his importance is both weirdly diluted and perhaps expanded beyond reason.

Holly was the guy who inspired the guys who got superhumanly famous. His career, all of 18 months, really, is reflective of a saying that's always stuck with me: It's not the first person who does something, it's the second.

Defining rock bands

Holly has never had the charisma-bomb resonance of Elvis Presley, about whom you can discuss issues of race and class and appropriation pretty much forever. After all, Holly's single most important innovation was the possibility of rock as team sport.

The Crickets (Buddy Holly on vocals and lead guitar; Niki Sullivan on rhythm guitar; Joe B. Mauldin on bass, Jerry Allison on drums) was a band. Holly's first album was credited to the Chirping Crickets.

They invented the rock band as most everyone on the planet thinks of it. The rock band is not guitar, drums, bass, piano. It is not three guitars, sax, bass, drums. The rock band is two guitars, bass, drums.

See also: the Beatles. Then see the Rolling Stones. The Kinks, etc. It's not the first person who does something, it's the second — especially if that second person is a Beatle. A far more vigorous chart presence in the U.K. than the U.S., Holly was adored by John Lennon, who was in turn adored by the whole planet.

And after Sullivan left, citing the rigors of touring, the Crickets headed to Britain as a trio, the first rock power trio. (They were also, by this point, billed as Buddy Holly and the Crickets.) They might not have had the volume but see also Cream, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, etc.

In contrast to the country music he grew up with, Holly wrote much of his own material and was lucky enough to team up with a brilliant producer (Norman Petty) to get it from his head to tape to audiences. Les Paul might have invented multitrack recording, but Holly used it as well or better than anyone. His music grew up in public, fast, in a matter of months.

In fact, every one of Holly's hits has something sonically interesting on it, from the cardboard box Bo Diddley beat on "Not Fade Away" to the cymbals-only drum part on "Well . . . All Right" to the thigh slaps on "Everyday." "Words of Love" and the weirdly underrated "Listen to Me" overdubs jangly guitars and a slightly woozy vocals in a way that essentially invents the Byrds' folk-rock.

His everydude persona and black glasses revised the idea of the rock star even as it was being invented — every one of his hits has something lyrically interesting on it, from the deceptively simple "everyday it's a gettin' faster/ everyone said go ahead and ask her" to that scream of joy on "Oh Boy!"

It's almost punk rock — if that guy who looks like me can do it, I can do it.

No rock hero

The flip side is that the people who formed bands after seeing Holly changed the world and have obscured him.

For example, for a guy who inspired so many to rock so much, his discography is baffling and neglected.

Crickets tracks were issued under Holly's name alone. Demos (some of them up there with his best work) were posthumously released covered with overdubs, sometimes multiple times with completely different music. Endless compilations and re-packagings have appeared in the past 50 years, not one of them deemed definitive.

Is this how you treat a guy who many think had as much to do with defining the parameters of American music as Elvis, Sinatra and Francis Scott Key?

Joe Carducci, whose brilliant and controversial 1990 book "Rock and the Pop Narcotic" might be the most important monograph in the last 20 years on a definition of "rock music," devotes a sentence to Holly: "The Crickets did some minor rocking, but Buddy Holly split for New York, leaving his band behind."

Ouch. According to Carducci's ultra-orthodox definitions of rock, leaving your band behind is something real rockers don't do. Plenty of people agree with him.

Holly's move to New York in 1958, along with his use of strings in songs such as "Raining In My Heart" and "It Doesn't Matter Any More" has long been seen as sign he was scrapping rock 'n' roll for Tin Pan Alley.

Let's say this one more time: We have absolutely no idea what Holly would have done. His recording career lasted about 18 months. He was 22 when he died.

We have no idea.

We can barely agree on what he did do.

Writer to the core

Holly might have looked like everyman. He might have rocked like everyman. But most people couldn't have done what he did. Most people don't have the songs to pull it off.

Holly's music was some of the first rock 'n' roll I ever heard, which I always thought was kind of cool because Holly's music was some of the first rock 'n' roll that anyone on the planet ever heard.

My dad was a big fan, and checked out of the library a two-LP set packed with hits. I've been humming the astounding, hiccuping "Rave On," been thinking about the distant, echoed paradiddles on "Peggy Sue," since I was about 6.

Which is perhaps part of the reason that the best moment for me of the 2006 Rolling Stones show at Zilker Park came when Keith Richards sang a Buddy Holly song. He didn't sing "Not Fade Away," an early Stones single, but, of all things, "Learning the Game." It's a fairly obscure Holly song, a mere demo when Holly died that producer Norman Petty gave a country-pop backing track (another version, overdubbed in New York, sounds like an ad jingle).

"Hearts that are broken and love that's untrue/ These go with learning the game," Richards croaked, completely at odds with his tough guy persona. Yet it worked.

This is why Holly resonates, for the simplest and most complicated reason: the songs.

There might have been something interesting on every one of Holly's hits, but it was always, always, ALWAYS in service to the song.

"When you love her and she doesn't love you/ You're only learning the game."

He found his own sound, his own look, his own everyman persona that inspired thousands who inspired millions. But as a songwriter, he had IT, whatever IT is. Simple and complicated, clear and true.

"When she says that you're the only one she'll ever love/ Then you find that you are not the one she's thinking of."

Songwriter Don McLean famously declared Feb. 3 "The Day The Music Died" in "American Pie." I understand the sentiment, I get the loss of innocence thing. But it's just not true. (And America was never, ever innocent — just ask an Apache.)

In no way did the music die 50 years ago Feb. 3. It couldn't have. Buddy Holly had already lived.

http://www.austin360.com/music/content/music/stories/2009/02//0201holly.html

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #35 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 3:24am
thanks for posting that fantastic article, Zooeyglass.  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #36 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 3:44am
10 Underrated Buddy Holly Songs:-

Everyone with ears knows 'That'll Be The Day,' 'Oh Boy!,' 'Everyday' and my personal all-time favorite 'Rave On.' Here are 10 worth another spin or 10.

1. 'Learning the Game' -- One of the apartment tape demos. A delicate melody, a sophisticated lyric, a perfect ditty in 1:35 (expanded after Holly's death to about two minutes; still amazing)

2. 'Love Me' -- This early B-side might be the most orthodox rockabilly-qua-rockabilly song Holly ever produced.

3. 'Holly Hop' -- An instrumental from 1956 originally recorded in the Holly family garage, it shows off how Holly's economical lead guitar style was already well-developed.

4. 'Tell Me How' -- One of those songs you think the Beatles must have listened to about a million times.

5. 'I'm Looking For Someone To Love' -- Manages to pack two perfectly realized guitar solos into 1:59. To this day, I have no idea what 'drunk man/ street car/ foot slip/ there you are' means in the context of the song. Not a clue.

6. 'Listen to Me' -- Not obscure, but better and better the more you listen to its craftmanship. Very slightly lower-fi sounding than some of the less complicated hits, I keep coming back to the weird, almost surging harmonies.

7. 'I'm Gonna Love You Too' -- Another one the Beatles must have listened to 2 million times, especially the guitars.

8. 'Reminiscing' -- Buddy Holly, soul man. King Curtis' sax subs in for guitars and the rhythm section swings hard.

9. 'Little Baby' -- You can't figure out why the piano is throwing you off a little until you realize it sounds like Bob Dylan, like a retro B-side from 'Blonde on Blonde.'

10. 'Peggy Sue Got Married' -- Another apartment demo fleshed out after Holly died. A happy ending. Or is it?

http://www.austin360.com/music/content/music/stories/2009/02//0201holly.html

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #37 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 5:27am
kevin Montgomery blogging from the Surf, last night, adding fuel
to the Keith/Ron rumours...

http://www.kevinmontgomery.com/?p=138

I’m standing on the side of the stage watching Pat Dinizio from The Smithereens soundcheck with one of my old pals and favorite drummers, Kenny Aronoff.
Had a funny thing happen the other night here at the Surf……a stately looking English fellar came to the merch desk after my part of the show. He asked if he could buy a cd. We made small talk…….with me asking him where he was from……somewhere around London he said……..i signed the cd, and then asked him if he’d ever been to the Surf before…..usual small talk……..turns out it was Sir Tim Rice!!! I discovered that today after the symposium i did at Clear Lake Middle School…..he showed up to do his seminar! Crazy. I felt like an oaf.
Ha. More later.
********************************************************************************
It is the morning of January 2nd, 2009. Last night was pretty surreal. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame hosted a Super Bowl Party at the Holiday Inn in Mason City. I spent most of the afternoon at The Surf Ballroom soundchecking for tonight’s show. The house band includes Hutch Hutchinson and Kenny Aronoff (Mellencamp,Fogerty)…….and Chuck Leavall from The Rolling Stones……amazing band. I’ve known Kenny for years…..he played on my un-released second record on A&M…..great guy.
At soundcheck i learned i would be singing tonight with Dave Mason on “Cryin’, Waitin’, Hopin’”, and possibly with Pat DiNizio of The Smithereens on “Words of Love”…….so, i’m lying here listening to both songs to brush up. I’ll be opening the show with a lonely version of “Wishing”. I’m really excited about it……..it is an honor to open the show, and i expect they will light it pretty dramatically………alot of pressure, but i’m going to try not to think about the 2,500 people out there and just play it like i always do.
Anyway, i was a little late getting to the Holiday Inn bar……i was the last person out of the Surf actually…..behind all the tired crew members that were looking forward to a night off. I got there and sat down in a booth with Shelby Morrison from the Rock Hall…..she was partly responsible for me coming to Clear Lake, and has been a good friend for the past few years. Sir Tim Rice was seated in the next booth and we waved hello…..i got up to say hello, and just to be polite i introduced myself to the guy sitting in the booth across from him………..older, English guy with long grey hair. He hardly looked up and didn’t offer his name…….so, i made a point to ask him his name again……..i find it very rude and arrogant when people don’t say their name when introduced. I sat down and talked with Sir Tim……..and soon after the “old grey” guy got up and went to the bar…….i asked Sir Tim who it was…..he said, “Peter Gordon from bla, bla , bla”……ok, i just google “Peter Gordon” and he is actually the Gordon of Peter and Gordon. The Peter……oh, that sounded bad because he is actually a nice guy……is Peter Asher, whom i met at Conway Recording studio when i was doing my first record…….he produced alot of the great Linda Rondstadt records…..here they are together (

Anyway, Sir Tim apologized for him and we carried on………sometime later he came to the bar and we got a drink……..i really like that guy………….i spied Johnny Rogers speaking with the guys from Black Sabbath, and being an Ozzy fan and former metalhead of sorts….i wanted to say hello………they pretty much blew me off, but that was cool. There is a pecking order sometimes at these “industry” do’s, and i guess they were doing the peckering.
I ended up hanging with Jerry Allison from The Crickets. I’m very fond of J.I., and his wife Joannie. They’ve always been very sweet to me. He was saying he has known me since i was a baby……he was my dad’s best man at his wedding, and they are kind to me as only you can be when you’ve know someone since they were a child……i hope my son will have people like that in his life someday. J.I. is always up for a laugh, and we sought out as many laughs as possible until he retired.
Well, that is it for now………i’m going to the Surf now to rehearse with Pat, and i reckon Dave Mason. I’ve be videologging tonight, and am really excited about the evening. It is rumored that Keith Richards and Ron Wood are coming…….apparently, Sir Tim Rice has been giving them a hard time and telling them not to miss this special night. I also hear that Paul McCartney is going to show…..i would find it hard to believe that he wouldn’t. Stay tuned…..i’ll try to post a videologue when i come in.
********************************************************************************
I’m at the Surf…….Chuck Leavall from The Stones just finished singing a spirited version of “Honky Tonk Women”……….and here is a little video of what was happening when i first got here.
Looks like i’m singing “It Doesn’t Matter Anymore” and “Listen to Me” with Pat from The Smithereens…….that is what happens when you hang around and Graham Nash doesn’t show up!!!! Ha! Ha!

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #38 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 5:50am

Big night at Surf's Buddy Holly concert, minus superstars

By KYLE MUNSON • [email protected] • February 3, 2009

Clear Lake, Ia. — The big surprise here Monday night at the Surf Ballroom turned out to be no surprise at all.

Speculation swirled for months in advance: Would Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton or another superstar put in an appearance to pay his respects to rock 'n' roll icon Buddy Holly in a "50 Winters Later" commemorative concert?

In the end, none did.

Yet the final tune of the night, Holly's "Not Fade Away," featured a sing-along by a stage full of A-list musicians and an embrace between Maria Elena Holly, Buddy's widow, and Graham Nash, the enthusiastic Holly disciple who co-founded the Hollies and Crosby, Stills & Nash.

Kathy Snyder of Clear Lake, who owns the Surf with her husband, Dale, said that efforts were made as late as Sunday to entice Springsteen to perform in the Surf concert; an emissary left a note in the Boss' guitar case during the Super Bowl halftime show saying that a private jet was available to whisk him away to Iowa on Monday.

The 1959 Winter Dance Party at the Surf marked the final performances by landmark early rockers Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. "the Big Bopper" Richardson, who died Feb. 3, 1959, in a plane crash north of town.

Fifty years ago, the $1.25 concert tickets were snapped up by local teenagers who wanted to dance. This time, fans from Britain, Switzerland, Canada and other far-flung locales purchased $85 tickets online.

Monday’s star-studded concert was a full-blown Rock and Roll Hall of Fame production with a rotating cast that included Holly's former band, the Crickets, as well as Nash, Los Lobos, Los Lonely Boys, Peter and Gordon, Joe Ely and Bobby Vee.

The same emcee who stood on the Surf stage in 1959 and introduced the Winter Dance Party musicians grabbed the microphone in front of an audience of 1,800 fans at the start of Monday's “50 Winters Later” concert.

“This has been a poignant week for all of us,” Bob Hale said.

The ballroom’s 2,000-person capacity was reduced by about 200 to accommodate six high-definition cameras, two cranes and all the cables, barricades and operators that come with it .

Yet it turned out to be a festive, relaxed atmosphere dominated by those who could remember the ’50s. The audience even sang an impromptu “Happy Birthday” to Nash, who turned 67 during this, his first pilgrimage to the Surf.

“This is what we’ve all been waiting for,” Tommy Allsup, Holly’s guitarist from the original 1959 tour, said of the evening.

The song “Wishing” began the night, sung by Kevin Montgomery, whose father, Bob, formed the Buddy & Bob rockabilly duo with Holly and co-wrote the tune.

Wanda Jackson belted out “Brown-Eyed Handsome Man,” the Chuck Berry song that Holly performed on tour in 1959. Texas troubadour Joe Ely tore through “Oh Boy,” complete with a screaming sax solo.

Delbert McClinton cranked out a bluesy cover of “Chantilly Lace,” the Bopper’s signature hit. Later, the Bopper's son, Jay P. "Big Bopper Jr." Richardson, performed his own rendition of the same tune.

Two of the night’s highlights came courtesy of songwriters performing their own tunes with guests: Dave Mason of Traffic cranked out “Feelin’ Alright” with help from McClinton and Montgomery, while Ely tore through “Are You Listening Lucky?” with Los Lobos as his backing band.

Los Lobos also was joined on stage by the extended Valens family – decked out in matching “La Bamba Boys” and “La Bamba Ladies” T-shirts – as well as Maria Elena Holly, for the anticipated “La Bamba” sing-along.

Des Moines City Councilwoman Christine Hensley and her husband, Steve, have attended Winter Dance Party reunions at the Surf for 20 years. On Monday, Hensley was decked out in a ’50s waitress costume, complete with order notepad.

“I’m totally out of character!” she laughed.

Christopher and Ing-Mari Vock, who live in the mountains of Switzerland, attended Monday’s show.

“In 1957, I was in school in Worcester, Massachusetts, and New York,” said Christopher, 66. “That was the first time I heard American music.”

The house band included Chuck Leavell, veteran keyboardist for the Rolling Stones. The man on drums was Kenny Aronoff, who rose to fame in John Mellencamp’s band .

Despite a bone-chilling temperature of -4 degrees and a wind chill that dipped to 27 degrees below zero, a diehard gaggle of about 30 fans and reporters later made a post-show pilgrimage to the crash site north of town for a 1 a.m. observance - about the time of the 1959 crash. The Surf's president, Jeff Nicholas, built a bonfire near the site to help keep fans warm. They gathered around the stainless steel memorial while Nicholas said a prayer and a plane flew overhead. One fan passed around his bottle of rum. There was a sing-along of Don McLean's Holly tribute, "American Pie."

At the end of Monday's concert at the Surf, Nicholson choked back tears as he arranged for a moment of silence with the house lights down as three stars were projected on the ballroom's ceiling.

"We've had a blast putting this together, and we hope you feel we have done it with respect," he said.

Fans seemed to agree. Even without McCartney, Springsteen or another big name to cap the concert, many fans stayed past midnight while the camera crew packed up and Holly's "True Love Ways" and the Bopper's "Chantilly Lace" reverberated through the ballroom.

They ended the night doing the same thing that teens loved to do at the Surf in the '50s: They danced.

www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090203/BUDDYHOLLY/302030006/-1/SPORTS09
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2009 at 5:52am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #39 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 7:48am
Glasvegas' James Allan: 'Buddy Holly was a real rebel, a real punk'Buddy Holly taught me how to write songs, believe in myself … and make my sister laugh

When I was younger, I always knew there were two things that could make my sister Denise laugh. One of them was an impression of Goofy, and the other was to sing like Buddy Holly. I'd do it in the almost hiccuping style that Buddy used: "Love like yours will surely come my way … a-hey, a-hey, a-hey." And no matter how upset she was or how much she'd been crying because she never got the right shoes or whatever, I could always cheer her up with that.

I knew the song Everyday from watching the film Stand By Me. We watched it all the time and could recite it word for word. At the time I just loved the movie and the music, I didn't even know it was Buddy Holly singing. But years later, it was that song that led me to find out more about him. I think I actually bought my first Buddy Holly record in Asda! But that's often where you find a lot of music like that. And once I started to delve even deeper, I just fell in love with the songs.

I don't mind admitting that Buddy was a direct influence on our work. I just love the sound when you play G, C and D, and a lot of his songs use those chords. It's pretty simple but it's also sincere, soulful and electrifying.

In fact, when I wrote Flowers and Football Tops it came from me sitting in the living room singing Love is Strange with a guitar. I don't know why, but I started singing "Baby, why you not home yet?" and the song came from there. Now that I've said that they'll probably try and sue me. But there you go, I need to be honest.

Buddy Holly has inspired me in other ways, not just musical ones. When we made our early demos, I wanted good things for the others in the band. And sometimes I felt when I wrote something like Daddy's Gone that I might be holding them back. I thought, "Who would want to listen to these songs? With these kind of lyrics?" But when I found out more about Buddy Holly, through books and films, I realised how courageous he was. He stuck to his guns and stood his ground. That takes courage and that's why a lot of people really connected with him.

A song like Maybe Baby has a timeless sound. You've got the sound and the voice – that was all he needed. A lot of his songs might sound sweet and sugary now, but at that time for an artist to write his own songs and have the charm and vision to be able to execute all the moves and sing on all those records … that was pretty revolutionary.

It's the same with his glasses, they just look great. He was an originator there. I don't know if it was quite geeky at the time or he was just blind as a bat, but those frames are a classic. I'm going to get a pair because I'm blind as a bat too, and I've had enough of waking up and having to put on sunglasses to see. It's nice to let some light into your life.

For a lot of the youth today, with 50 years of popular music behind them, it's sometimes hard to understand Buddy Holly's music. But at the time, it pinned a lot of people against the wall. It was unique. He was a real rebel, a real punk. And because of him I gained the courage to stick to my guns and be myself. And I think, if you're true to yourself, it can only really end with blue skies and angels.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2009/feb/03/buddy-holly-glasvegas-jame...

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #40 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 8:42am

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #41 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 9:12am
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7861891.stm

Buddy Holly died 50 years ago, but his music lives on, including his hit Peggy Sue. But who was it about and what's it like to be immortalised in a popular song? Caroline Frost meets the real Peggy Sue.

Fifty years ago today the music died, according to Don McLean at least - the day when Buddy Holly was killed in an aeroplane crash at the peak of his talents and passed into rock 'n' roll legend.

In the half-century since, as well as inspiring McLean's thumping standard American Pie, Holly has been recognised as one of popular music's great pioneers, his influence felt by everyone from Bob Dylan to the Beatles and Run-DMC. For one woman in particular, though, he's remained especially close. WHO WAS PEGGY SUE FOR?

It's widely claimed Holly originally wrote song as Cindy Lou, and...
Jerry Allison (pictured above with Peggy Sue Gerron on their wedding day)asked Holly to change it to Peggy Sue, says John Gribbin
Allison had split up with Peggy Sue Gerron and thought the move would help him win her back, it's claimed
However, Ms Gerron denies the claim

Peggy Sue Gerron, a sweet-faced woman of 68, is an unlikely piece of walking rock 'n' roll memorabilia. But in 1957, she was the girlfriend of Holly's best pal, Jerry Allison, and so became the inspiration for the singer's jiving classic.

Today, Ms Gerron smiles and plays down her role of musical muse, when asked.

"I think he decided he was going to write a girl's song, and sometime during the middle of the night he got Norman Petty, the producer, and he told him, 'I've written this song and I've named it after Jerry's girlfriend, Peggy Sue'."

Holly was already a radio star when she first encountered him. In a scene that could have come straight from a movie, Holly was rushing to a high school gig in Sacramento, California, when he sent a young Ms Gerron flying on the steps.

"He ran over to me, guitar in one hand, amp in the other, and said, 'I don't have time to pick you up, but you sure are pretty', before he ran off. So another girl came and helped me pick up my books and she said, 'Do you know who that was? That was Buddy Holly.'

Three weeks later, Ms Gerron was on a date with her future husband Jerry Allison - a drummer in Holly's group The Crickets - who introduced her to his friend Buddy, "and he started laughing, Jerry asked him what was so funny, and he said 'I've already overwhelmed your Peggy Sue.'"

Still a teenager, Peggy Sue first heard the song written for her in a packed school auditorium in the company of hundreds of screaming teenagers, and Holly hadn't let her down.

Deceptively simple

"I was just delighted, I thought it was a fascinating song. It's really hard to stand still when you're listening to Peggy Sue." PEGGY SUE LYRICS
Peggy Sue
Peggy Sue, Peggy Sue
Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, Peggy Sue
Oh, my Peggy, my Peggy Sue
Oh, well, I love you gal and I need you, Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue, by Buddy Holly, Jerry Allison and Norman Petty

The song stands as one of Holly's classics - "right up at the top" according to John Gribbin, author of the recent book Not Fade Away: The Life and Music of Buddy Holly.

"It's like most Buddy Holly songs," he says of the two-minute, 30-second classic. "They are deceptively simple. He wrote songs that are easy to play, easy to listen to and to dance to. He knew that would spread the word about his music."

But Holly's huge success came to an abrupt end on 3 February 1959, when he died, aged 22, in a plane crash while on tour. The news of the accident that killed Holly and fellow musicians Richie Valens and the Big Bopper only 18 months later was as shocking to the Allisons - Peggy Sue had married Jerry in 1958 - as to everyone else. Jerry Allison had quit the band before Holly's last tour and the couple were staying with Holly's parents.

"Somebody called the house and told us the Crickets were dead, so Jerry made some calls," remembers Ms Gerron. "It turned out Mr and Mrs Holly didn't know, they actually heard about it on the radio."

Holly's premature death did nothing to stem his popularity, with songs such as Peggy Sue, Not Fade Away, Maybe Baby and That'll Be the Day becoming enduring classics. Ms Gerron has long been used to hearing her name sung in the car, the supermarket, the lift. She's also adept at dealing with the question left dangling in the air whenever she meets someone new.

Prom dress

"I'm introduced, and there's a pause, and they say, 'Oh, are you...?' and I say 'Yes, I'm Peggy Sue.'"
When you are raising children you want them to be secure and normal and you don't want the entertainment industry in their lives

Peggy Sue Gerron, pictured today

Despite the kick it evidently still gives her, she is not blind to the preconceptions that can come with such a celebrated moniker.

"People have their own image of who you are and what you are. I think certain people expect things of me, that no one else would be called upon to do. They look at me and go, well she can afford to do that, and that's not always accurate."

They also sometimes are wrong-footed by the sight of a grandmother in her late 60s - somehow expecting the subject of this half-century-old teenage love song to be preserved in a polka-dot prom dress.

"I think they have me frozen in time, I think when most people think of me, it's as a young woman frozen in an era that has long passed. But it hasn't limited me. You have to be you, and I couldn't stand up and say, well, no, that's not me."

The song has certainly afforded Ms Gerron rare opportunities in life.

"Yeah, it's allowed me to meet people and do things I wouldn't otherwise. Dick Clark [the US TV chat show host] calls for me to come over and do the show... that doesn't happen to Jane Doe."

Yet there was a big part of her life when she didn't play up to the reputation as Buddy Holly's Peggy Sue - as wife to her second husband (her first marriage, to Allison, broke up), mother to their two children and business partner in the couple's small plumbing business in California. For a long time the children knew little of their mother's past. WHAT MAKES IT UNUSUAL?
The song features Holly's combined rhythm/lead guitar style
Holly had someone stand by to flick a switch on his Fender Stratocaster mid-way through when the guitar tone changes
"Normally a guitarist would do that himself," says John Gribbin. "But this is played so fast Holly hadn't the time to reach down."

"I didn't want them to think that we were different, that we had an edge. When you are raising children you want them to be secure and normal and you don't want the entertainment industry in their lives."

And serious Holly fans will know Ms Gerron's name appears in not one, but two, song titles by their idol - the other being, Peggy Sue Got Married. Striking a more melancholy note than its predecessor, it was recorded by Holly on a home tape recorder in 1958 and only heard after Holly's death.

Today Ms Gerron makes the most of her footnote role in pop history. Last year she published an autobiography, Whatever Happened to Peggy Sue?, and she will be marking the 50th anniversary of Holly's death as a guest of honour at the opening of the Buddy musical in Melbourne Australia.

So, inspiring one of the most famous songs by one of the century's most popular musicians - weighing it all up, is that a burden or a privilege?

Peggy Sue smiles again. "A privilege, always. I never get tired of it."

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #42 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 10:35am
http://www.voanews.com/english/Entertainment/2009-02-03-voa12.cfm

On February 3, 1959, a small plane crashed in a corn field in Iowa, killing three rock and roll stars - Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. Richardson, known as "The Big Bopper".

The 50th anniversary of that tragic event is being observed by rock fans around the world, but especially in Clear Lake, Iowa - the scene of their last performance, where a large concert is planned, and in Buddy Holly's hometown of Lubbock, Texas.

Charles Hardin Holly, known to his family and friends as Buddy, was only 22 years old when he died, but he had by that time created a guitar-driven rock and roll style that would live on among rock bands around the world.

In only a few years, the Lubbock native created hit songs that are still played today - classics like "That'll be the Day," inspired by a line John Wayne spoke in the western movie "The Searchers".

Holly rocked his fans with songs like "Peggy Sue" and "Maybe Baby" and then soothed them with ballads like "Everyday".

The song marked the first use in pop music of a celesta - an instrument mainly associated with classical music performances.

Fans say Holly's music still relevant

Holly's style and musical experimentation appealed to many up-and-coming musicians, especially in Britain, where he has many fans even among people born long after his death.

Phil and Caroline Jenkins
Among the British visitors to Lubbock for the 50th anniversary of Holly's death are Phil and Caroline Jenkins.

"The Beatles and the Rolling Stones - they all credit Buddy as being a major influence," Jenkins said. "It seems that you get more in England than you do here. He is bigger there than he is here. You know, he is bigger there than he is here. Lots of people here we talk to go, 'Who?' They don't know the name."

Jessica Camacho helps run the Buddy Holly Center in Lubbock, which is holding panel discussions and special events to commemorate Holly's death.

Jessica Camacho
Camacho is only 26 years old, but she says she recognizes the importance of Holly - not only to her hometown, but also to the world of music.

"I don't know how many younger people realize what kind of influence Buddy Holly had even on the music that they hear today that they love. I think his influence was far reaching," Camacho said.

Friend says Holly strove for recognition

There are still many people living here in Lubbock who knew Buddy Holly well. Among them is former musician and disc jockey Jack Neal, who was Buddy Holly's first musical partner on a local radio show. He sat in on jam sessions with Holly and a young rock singer from Memphis, Tennessee named Elvis Presley, just months before Elvis went on to become a legend himself.

Jack Neal
"I truly believe that if Buddy had still been living, he would have been as big as Elvis, if not bigger, because of the two different styles of people that they were," Neal said.

Neal knew Buddy Holly as a close friend as well as an artist, and he misses him still. He recalls one of his last conversations with him, not long before he died.

"He was in town and we were at one of the drive-ins and it was just before he left to go on that last tour and he said he wanted people to know Buddy Holly," Neal recalled. "He wanted them to know the name. He said the money was nice, but he wanted people to know the name. And so that was his goal and that is exactly what he did."

The fatal plane crash in Iowa was commemorated in 1973 by singer/songwriter Don McLean in his hit song, "American Pie," which spoke of "the day the music died." But most Buddy Holly fans say his music never died and that it lives on in the rock and roll he helped crea

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #43 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 12:56pm
Thanks for the great articles, truly a tragedy to be remembered, & especially 3 great rock & roll pioneers always to be remembered.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 12:58pm
Still, 50 years has gone by...

IP Logged

zooeyglass
Rocks Off Regular

finder of truth

USA
Reply #45 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 1:57pm

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #46 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 11:01pm
THANK YOU THIS WAS THE BEST  SO FAR!

wglasses.gif (146 KB | )
wglasses.gif

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #47 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 4:49pm
His Bobness recollects his memory of seeing Buddy at his Grammy speech in 1998 (its in the last part of the speech). The Winter Dance Party show at Duluth,MN  attended by a 17 year old Dylan, took place just 3 days before the plane crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms8I2QIoczc

Cool reference to Robert Johnson's "Stop Breakin Down" (also covered by the Stones) too.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #48 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 6:50pm
Quote:

But, in a way, it seems like yesterday.....

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #49 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 4:18am
50 years later MN woman reveals only known photos of Buddy Holly's last show

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28997344/

CLEAR LAKE, Iowa -- It's been 50 years between trips, but Monday night Mary Gerber of Walters, Minnesota was back at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa.

"I can remember that night standing here," says Mary from her spot on the dance floor about 30 feet from the stage.

Mary was 16, star struck and unaware that within hours Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and JP Richardson, the Big Bopper, would be dead in a plane crash just a few miles from the Surf.

The old ballroom still stands as a living monument to that night, but for 50 years no one has been able to produce a single photograph or piece of film the Surf's most significant event.

No one until Mary. "They're probably not the best pictures, but I didn't have a fancy camera back then."

The newly framed pictures now hang in the Surf's museum. Seven photos snapped by Mary that night at the concert - then tucked away. "You put them in a drawer. Your life goes on. You start raising a family."

The photos featuring multiple shots of Buddy Holly and Richie Valens on stage at the Surf are now public for the first time in 50 years after Mary saw an ad in the Albert Lea newspaper placed by a documentary film maker. "I didn't think they would ever be a big deal," she confesses. She couldn't have been more wrong.

"It's just incredible to have those," says Laurie Lietz, The Surf's executive director. "It gives us goose bumps, when we saw them it was unbelievable.

One shot of Dion and the Belmonts on stage is of particular interest to rock historians, though the uneducated will have to look close to see why. "Buddy Holly was playing drums," explains Mary, "because their drummer was on the bus, that froze his feet or something, so Buddy filled in for them as a drummer."

So why weren't there more cameras that night? At first Mary wondered that too. "And when I left the Surf that night I seen the sign, on the way out, it said 'no cameras allowed.'

Fifty years ago Monday night Mary Gerber broke the rules - and rock and roll history is richer because of it.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #50 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:24am
Wow, another good reason to break those "no cameras allowed" rules!

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:41am
Sioux wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 6:50pm:
Quote:

LOL I guess...

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #52 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:42am
Quote:
Sioux wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 6:50pm:
Quote:

LOL I guess...

Yeah, in the scheme of the history of the world, 50 years is but a moment... Wink

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:51am
In the history of the world, Buddy Holly ain't much.

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #54 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 12:03pm
Quote:
In the history of the world, Buddy Holly ain't much.

I disagree!

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Friday, February 6, 2009
Before the Beatles, there was Buddy
Scott Galupo (Contact)

Buddy Holly figures prominently in any potted history of rock music. He's characteristically included among that handful of late-'50s avatars who lit a spark that was all but extinguished until a bunch of shaggy-haired British boys crossed the Atlantic to remind Americans, and thence the world, of what they'd been missing.
As we remember the 50th anniversary of the untimely death of Mr. Holly - and Ritchie Valens and J.P. "the Big Bopper" Richardson Jr. - this week, it's perhaps a good time to make an even greater claim for Mr. Holly's legacy.
Think of it this way: There are two epochs of rock - Before Buddy and After Buddy.
In his book "Old Masters and Young Geniuses: The Two Life Cycles of Artistic Creativity," University of Chicago art historian David W. Galenson sets this bar for an artist's influence: Can anyone subsequently ignore his work?
In Mr. Holly's case, the answer is an emphatic no.
If Elvis Presley changed the face (and hair and hips) of pop music, Buddy Holly - himself influenced by Mr. Presley, to be sure - went on to alter its molecular structure.
As Marshall Crenshaw - the eclectic singer-songwriter who played Mr. Holly in the 1987 Valens biopic "La Bamba" - notes, Mr. Holly, along with quintessential rocker Chuck Berry, "invented '60s rock. It was really those two guys."
"His music was unique, original and distinctive," Mr. Crenshaw adds. "He influenced all the important stuff that came afterward."
More so than Mr. Berry, however, Mr. Holly became what Mick Jagger called the "archetypal singer-songwriter": a vessel for original musical ideas that did not necessarily obey a particular form or genre.
Mr. Holly and his backing band, the Crickets, were rock music's first self-sufficient writers and performers of their own material.
In this, he prefigured both the Beatles and Bob Dylan.
Of the nearly 100 songs he recorded in just three years, Mr. Holly wrote or co-wrote about 40. According to the Silver Spring-based musician and Holly fanatic J.P. McDermott, his creativity had been accelerating rapidly until the fatal plane crash.
Mr. Holly was the first rock artist who glimpsed a future that was open to exploration and experimentation. He toyed with the sonic possibilities of ancillary instruments such as the celesta. He recorded with a string section - rare for a rocker in those days. He seemed to grasp intuitively an insight that critic Terry Teachout credits to the Beatles and their producer, George Martin: that the recording studio itself could, in effect, become a kind of instrument.
What more would he have accomplished? One can only speculate - he died in 1959, at the age of 22. Rabid Holly fan John Lennon was certain his craft would have grown even more inventive and sophisticated.
Mr. McDermott, who earlier this week delivered a lecture on the singer at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, says that in the months before he died, Mr. Holly was keen on collaborating with R&B star Ray Charles.
Mr. Holly and wife Maria Santiago had moved to New York City's Greenwich Village. So perhaps, Mr. McDermott theorizes, he would have immersed himself in the folk scene there.
It's possible, too, that the Lubbock, Texas-born Mr. Holly might have beaten country-rock pioneers Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman to their discovery.
All of these are tantalizing what-ifs - but their plausibility does not extend to any of Mr. Holly's peers.
Mr. Holly's influence was important for other, subtler reasons. His association with the Fender Stratocaster guitar, for instance, was iconic and helped popularize the brand.
Furthermore, a 1958 appearance on "The Ed Sullivan Show" had made Mr. Holly a huge star in England. (The Beatles chose their name in part as an insectival homage to the Crickets.)
Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards said that the bespectacled Mr. Holly's resemblance to a "bank clerk" was an inspiration of sorts: Rock stardom "was not just for guys who looked like Elvis," he concluded.
Those less-than-conventional-good-looks proved a confidence booster to countless talented geeks, from Joey Ramone to Elvis Costello to Weezer's Rivers Cuomo.
Still, 50 years after the "day the music died," it's instructive to remember that Mr. Holly's greatness was far from universally acknowledged at the time. Rock then had yet to transcend its origins. With Mr. Presley shorn of hair in the Army, the music seemed like the fading novelty many older Americans had suspected it of being all along.
Manufactured teen idols such as Frankie Avalon and Fabian had begun to eclipse rock's first wave of stars.
Mr. McDermott says Mr. Holly's October 1958 recordings in New York City with an orchestra (known as the "String Sessions") was as much an effort to rebrand Mr. Holly as a traditional pop singer as it was a forward-thinking experiment.
By 1959, Mr. Holly's power as a hit maker was in decline, says Mr. Crenshaw, who points out that the Winter Dance Party tour on which he, Mr. Valens and Mr. Richardson had been performing was, for Mr. Holly, a "dismal" undertaking necessitated by the need for a paycheck. (His manager, Norman Petty, though indispensable to Mr. Holly's rise, was one of rock music's proverbial financial sharks.)
Mr. Holly's legacy was obvious only in hindsight.
With his No. 1 single "American Pie" (1971), singer-songwriter Don McLean paid nameless tribute to all three of the musicians who died in the Feb. 3, 1959, plane crash in Clear Lake, Iowa.
However, he sought to monumentalize the life and music of Mr. Holly in particular.
The man's importance probably came as news to most Americans.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)