Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 © Michael Chow/The Republic

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
N.S.C  - Stooges Ron Asheton found dead (Read 2,626 times)
Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
N.S.C  - Stooges Ron Asheton found dead
Jan 6th, 2009 at 9:12am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
http://www.nme.com/news/the-stooges/41900

Guitarist's body undiscovered at home 'for several days' say police

Ron Asheton, the guitarist and bassist with The Stooges, has been found dead today (January 6). He was 60.

Asheton was found at his home in Ann Arbor this morning, according to police.

A cause of death is yet to be confirmed, although initial reports suggest that Asheton died of a heart attack.

Detective Sgt Jim Stephenson told local paper Ann Arbor News that foul play is not suspected. He added that Asheton's body was found on a living-room sofa, and that he appeared to have been dead for at least several days.

Autopsy and toxicology results are pending.

Asheton was a founder member of The Stooges, along with his brother (and drummer) Scott Asheton, Dave Alexander (bass) and frontman Iggy Pop.

Ranked as Number 29 on Rolling Stone's '100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time', Asheton played the seminal riffs on Stooges' classics including 'No Fun', 'Down On The Street', and 'I Wanna Be Your Dog'. He switched to the bass guitar for The Stooges third album, 'Raw Power' (1973).

After the commercial failure of 'Raw Power', Asheton left The Stooges and played in a series of bands including The New Order (not to be confused with the UK band of the same name), and Destroy All Monsters.

He later recorded a number of tracks for 1998's cinematic paean to glam rock, 'Velvet Goldmine', along with Mudhoney's Mark Arm, The Minutemen's Mike Watt, Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore and Steve Shelley.

In 2000, Asheton, along with his brother Scott and the aforementioned Mike Watt, began playing shows together. The band were dubbed 'The New Stooges' by fans, and after Iggy Pop saw them perform, the four decided to reform The Stooges properly.

The Stooges played their first reunited show in 2003, and went on to release an album of new material ('The Weirdness') in 2007, with Asheton restored to lead guitar duties.

Touring heavily, including a The Stooges played a memorable set at the 2007 Glastonbury Festival which ended with a mass stage invasion, they also played last year's Isle Of Wight Festival.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Re: N.S.C  - Stooges Ron Asheton found dead
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 9:25am
Wow.  That is really too bad.  Man was a total badass racketmaker.   Destroy All Monsters, the New Race, and of course the first two Stooges records.  His guitar tone WAS Detroit.

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 9:36am
Christ. Didn't see this one coming. What a shame, and what a loss. Rest in peace, Ron. You were one of the good ones.

Article from NME.com:

Breaking news: Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton found dead
The Stooges' Legendary guitarist reportedly suffers a heart attack at his home
Jan 6, 2009
NME.com - U.K.

Ron Asheton, the guitarist and bassist with The Stooges, has been found dead at his home today (January 6). He was 60.

Initial reports suggest that Asheton died of a heart attack, although the cause of death is yet to be officially confirmed.

Asheton was a founding member of The Stooges, along with his brother (and drummer) Scott Asheton, Dave Alexander (bass), and frontman Iggy Pop.

Ranked as Number 29 on Rolling Stone's '100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time', Asheton played the seminal riffs on Stooges' classics including 'No Fun', 'Down On The Street', and 'I Wanna Be Your Dog'. He switched to the bass guitar for The Stooges third album, 'Raw Power' (1973).

After the commercial failure of 'Raw Power', Asheton left The Stooges and played in a series of bands including The New Order (not to be confused with the UK band of the same name), and Destroy All Monsters.

He later recorded a number of tracks for 1998's cinematic paean to glam rock, 'Velvet Goldmine', along with Mudhoney's Mark Arm, The Minutemen's Mike Watt, Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore and Steve Shelley.

In 2000, Asheton, along with his brother Scott and the aforementioned Mike Watt, began playing shows together. The band were dubbed 'The New Stooges' by fans, and after Iggy Pop saw them perform, the four decided to reform The Stooges properly.

The Stooges played their first reunited show in 2003, and went on to release an album of new material ('The Weirdness') in 2007, with Asheton restored to lead guitar duties.

Keep checking NME.COM for more information on Ron Asheton, as well as tributes paid to the guitarist.

Link: http://www.nme.com/news/the-stooges/41900

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2009 at 7:16pm by GotToRollMe »  

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 9:44am
Damn. Now I REALLY wish I'd gone to see them last June.

Sad way to go. RIP Ron.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 9:54am
bummer. the man rocked. thanks for the music. rest in peace

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 10:42am
RIP Ron...

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 11:11am
Holy Fucking Jesus!!!  What a fucking shame.    He was a great, RAW FUCKING POWER guitarist.  Very ahead of his time. 

I am very very sad.  Rest in Peace, Ron Ashton. I am a HUGE fan.   I'm sorry I never saw the Stooges, but have seen your boy Iggy plenty.

Damn it.   Rest in Peace and Thank you.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 3:07pm
shit...I just saw him a couple of years ago...he was awesome, RIP

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

polytoxic
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 3:57pm
Gazza wrote on Jan 6th, 2009 at 9:44am:
Damn. Now I REALLY wish I'd gone to see them last June.

Sad way to go. RIP Ron.

My thoughts exactly. Absolutely gutted.

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 3:59pm
sad indeed

as Nasty indicates the article  is wrong -  - the band was New Race (with Tek and Younger from Birdman). I saw them here in Adelaide in 1981.

vale Ron - you rocked like a mutherfucka

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 5:07pm
From http://www.iggypop.com/news.aspx :

A message from Iggy & The Stooges on the death of Ron Asheton [1/6/2009]

Ronald Frank Asheton July 17, 1948 - January 6, 2009

We are shocked and shaken by the news of Ron’s death. He was a great friend, brother, musician, trooper. Irreplaceable. He will be missed.

For all that knew him behind the façade of Mr. Cool & Quirky, he was a kind-hearted, genuine, warm person who always believed that people meant well even if they did not.

As a musician Ron was The Guitar God, idol to follow and inspire others. That is how he will be remembered by people who had a great pleasure to work with him, learn from him and share good and bad times with him.

Iggy, Scott, Steve, Mike and Crew

-----------------------------------------

I am in shock. He was my best friend.

Iggy Pop

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2009 at 5:11pm by GotToRollMe »  

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 5:51pm

RIP Ron.

And thanks for the noise...

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 5:59pm
Just watched Iggy and the Stooges "Live in Detroit' dvd.  Fucking damn.   

RIP Ron Asheton, and Thank you again.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 6:03pm

The Stooges' Ron Asheton - His 5 Greatest Riffs
By Alan Woodhouse
Posted on 06/01/09 at 03:20:55 pm

Farewell, then, to another rock legend. Ron Asheton, guitarist in proto-punk US rock legends The Stooges, has passed away aged 60 at his home in Ann Arbor.

In terms of influence, Asheton has to take his place in the hall of fame, his style being adopted (and adapted) by legions of future heroes. Meanwhile, his best work sounds a fresh as it did when the band came kicking and screaming out of Michigan at the end of the '60s.

To pay tribute, here are five of Asheton's finest moments, and why they still matter. RIP big man.

1. I Wanna Be Your Dog
After kicking The Stooges' best-loved song off with a flurry of explosive feedback, this gloriously dumb three-note descending riff encapsulates Asheton's 'less is more' style, which without question helped define punk's early sonic blueprint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjmLsSs0xDY

2. No Fun
Sex Pistols liked this tune so much they covered it regularly in their heyday – and continue to do so. Evolving from a stoned jam where frontman Iggy Pop was improvising lyrics based on Johnny Cash's 'I Walk The Line', Asheton again cranks out another hi-energy rock 'n' roll riff so dumb the Ramones are though to have learned how to play by strumming along to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y80cFgDqSog

3. 1969
Evolved like many of the songs on the Stooges' self-titled debut album – there would be roughly two minutes of 'conventional' songwriting followed by wild improvisation. Here, Asheton's choppy style dovetails perfectly with Iggy Pop's tale of impending apocalypse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZXPOzeo8Yk

4. Down On The Street
Come the chorus, as Iggy howls 'NO WALL!!!!', Asheton conjures up a nerve-shredding, lurching riff. And then about two minutes in, we have what seems like two separate solos competing with each other, adding to the song's almost claustrophobic intensity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmxVe3ux_jw

5. T.V. Eye
Another wild, unrelenting blues-based riff (albeit hugely distorted), its raw, emotive power prefigured heavy metal. Combined with Iggy's vocal and the four on the floor drumbeat later favoured by disco divas, the results are almost impossibly exciting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN7qDlwQ7Bs

Link: http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=10&p=5508

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2009 at 6:04pm by GotToRollMe »  

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 6:23pm
my apologies - it seems he was not only in New Race (also featuring Denis Thompson of MC5) but he did indeed have an outfit called New Order

Ouch!

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #15 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 6:36pm
Down on the Street is a favorite, as is the record "Funhouse."  Have mercy....so raw, so brutal, so sexy.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #16 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 7:08pm

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #17 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 8:07pm
From The Stooges, Management and Crew
We are shocked and shaken by the news of Ron’s death.
He was a great friend, brother, musician, trooper. Irreplaceable.
He will be missed.
For all that knew Him behind the façade of Mr Cool & Quirky was a kind-hearted,
genuine, warm person who always believed that people meant well even if they did not.
As a musician Ron was The Guitar God, idol to follow and inspire others. That is how He will be remembered by people who had a great pleasure to work with Him, learn from Him and share good and bad times with Him.
Iggy, Scott, Steve, Mike and Crew
Personal statement from Iggy "I am in shock. He was my best friend.“ Iggy Pop
Ron Asheton RIP
July 17, 1948 to January 6, 2009

http://www.iggypop.org/

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #18 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 8:38pm

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #19 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 8:53pm
Very interesting clip here, although Ron is mostly heard & not seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAs7zzVkHxI

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #20 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 9:05pm

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #21 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 9:16pm

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #22 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 4:11am
Sadness... I had seen the Stooges and Iggy a few years back and they were unbelievably good.

RIP Ron  Cry

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #23 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 4:32am
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Ron Asheton: 1948-2009
Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton generated raw power
Susan Whitall and Adam Graham / The Detroit News
Ron Asheton's hypnotizing, droning guitar sound helped make classics out of Iggy and the Stooges songs like "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and "1969." Asheton was found dead early Tuesday morning at his Ann Arbor home, according to police. No cause of death has been released, although initial reports suggest that it was a heart attack. Asheton, a founding member of the iconic '60s band, was 60.
Asheton's death comes just days before an announcement is expected from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on whether the Stooges will make it into this year's class of inductees. The Stooges -- who inducted fellow Michiganian Madonna into the Rock Hall of Fame in 2008 with a pair of gutter-punk renditions of her hits "Burning Up" and "Ray of Light" -- are nominated along with Metallica, Run-D.M.C., Jeff Beck, Chic, Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, War and Bobby Womack.
In a statement released Tuesday, Stooges singer Iggy Pop said, "I am in shock. He was my best friend."
Advertisement

A joint statement released by the Stooges called Asheton "irreplaceable. He was a great friend, brother, musician, trouper. He will be missed.
"For all that knew him behind the façade of Mr. Cool & Quirky, he was a kind-hearted, genuine, warm person who always believed that people meant well even if they did not. As a musician, Ron was the Guitar God, idol to follow and inspire others. That is how he will be remembered by people who had a great pleasure to work with him, learn from him and share good and bad times with him."
The Stooges -- vocalist Iggy Pop (born James Osterberg), guitarist Asheton, drummer (and Ron's little brother) Scott Asheton and bassist Dave Alexander -- formed in Ann Arbor in 1967. The band's raw sound helped lay the template for what would later become punk rock and influenced several generations of do-it-yourself bands.
Iconic music
The group released "The Stooges" in 1969, followed by "Fun House" in 1970 and "Raw Power" in 1973. The Stooges disbanded a year later, and though their music never found much commercial success, it continued to be discovered by up-and-coming rockers.
In subsequent years, the Stooges were name-checked as an influence by figures ranging from Kurt Cobain (who cited "Raw Power" as his favorite album of all time in lists published in his book "Journals") to Guns N' Roses (which covered the song "Raw Power" on 1993's "The Spaghetti Incident?") to the White Stripes' Jack White (who in the liner notes for the reissue of "Fun House" called the album "by proxy the definitive rock album of America"). Both "Raw Power" and "Fun House" were included on Rolling Stone's list of 500 Greatest Albums of All-Time.
In 2003, after nearly 30 years of inactivity, the Stooges reunited for a series of live shows, including a summertime performance at DTE Energy Music Theatre. Memorably delayed by that summer's blackout, the performance was rescheduled and captured on a live DVD, "Live in Detroit."
The momentum and reception from those live shows resulted in the band yet again becoming a fully functional touring outfit. Several tours and high-profile festival gigs followed, including shows at Meadow Brook Music Festival and the Fox Theatre in Detroit, as well as a 2007 studio album, "The Weirdness."
'He kept it simple'
During the Stooges' 30-year hiatus, Asheton kept busy in a number of bands, including Destroy All Monsters, Dark Carnival and The New Order, which he formed in Los Angeles with longtime friend, drummer Dennis Thompson of the MC5.
Thompson recalls heading over to the Fun House, the Stooges' Ann Arbor hangout during the late '60s and early '70s, when things would get a little heavy at the MC5 house.
"I would hang out with those guys, watch TV, smoke a joint and relax," Thompson said Tuesday. "We'd laugh, we'd crack jokes. They weren't so serious. They were aware of the revolution, they were aware of the times, but they just liked to have fun. Their outlook on life was a little less serious."
Thompson said Asheton's gift was the simplicity of his playing.
"He could appreciate jazz music and he could appreciate other forms of music, but he kept it simple," Thompson said. "He was a minimalist. The Stooges sound, and the reason they were popular, is because rock and roll should be simple and it should be pure. It was wild excitement crammed into three minutes."
Despite the fact his playing was often seen as rudimentary, Rolling Stone named Asheton the No. 29 guitarist of all-time in its 2003 list of the 100 best guitar players ever. "Asheton was the Detroit punk who made the Stooges' music reek like a puddle of week-old biker sweat," the magazine wrote. "He favored black leather and German iron crosses onstage, and he never let not really knowing how to play get in the way of a big, ugly feedback solo."
An inspiration
Photographer Leni Sinclair, ex-wife of MC5 manager John Sinclair, was on the scene in the 1960s when Asheton and the Stooges were thrilling teenagers and outraging parents with their loud shenanigans in the dank rock halls of Detroit and Ann Arbor.
"It was mesmerizing to hear them play 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' at the Grande Ballroom," Sinclair remembers. "Ron was not a very flamboyant showman on stage, but the sound just got under your skin, if you let yourself go. I saw him again four years ago, and it sounded just like it did back then. He had something special going, a hypnotizing sound."
Ann Arbor promoter Peter Andrews was there in 1967, in Ann Arbor, when Jim Osterberg of Iggy and the Iguanas formed his new band, Iggy and the Stooges.
"When Iggy formed the Stooges, it didn't matter that nobody could play an instrument," Andrews remembers. "After all, the MC5 weren't the best musicians. But the MC5 and the Stooges had their Detroit sound, and Ron was the trouper of that Stooges sound.
"Ron was a sort of a gentle soul in a very ungentle situation," Andrews said. "The Stooges gave him direction. He wasn't a fake. And he brought a certain swagger and cool to the band."
Not all bands from Detroit's acclaimed rock scene of the '60s endured to inspire younger generations, but the Stooges' proto-punk sound was popular with younger musicians like producer Jim Diamond of Ghetto Recorders in Detroit.
"'I Wanna Be Your Dog' was my fuzz-wah guitar bible as a kid," Diamond said. "I learned a lot about how to really play the guitar listening to Ron Asheton growing up. That guy showed you that wild and loose was the way to go."
Detroit News staffer Melody Baetens contributed to this report. You can reach Susan Whitall at (313) 222-2156 or swhitall @detnews.com.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090107/ENT04/901070359

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #24 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 4:32am
Thanks for all the good times and memories.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #25 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 6:59am
Musicians share memories of and tributes to Stooges guitarist
Compiled by Brett Callwood • Free Press special writer • January 7, 2009

http://www.freep.com/article/20090107/ENT04/901070404

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #26 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 9:32am

Ron Asheton dead at 60: 'No Fun' indeed

Remembering the great Stooges guitarist

Interview.
One of the men responsible for inventing punk rock was found dead yesterday. Ron Asheton, who made the curtain of guitar fuzz behind Iggy Pop’s primal howl in The Stooges, was 60.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Asheton in April of 2007, as the reunited Stooges were promoting their first new album in 30 years.

For somebody who helped create such an aggressive style of music, he was generous with information and gracious for the opportunity to talk about his band, all with a sense of dry Midwestern humor. He spoke candidly about all things sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll, of which he packed a lot into his short life. Here is the full discussion.

Hi Ron, how’s it going?

Pretty good. I’m just getting ready to get out of here. Headed out on the road. Tying up some loose ends. Headed out tomorrow to D.C., and then tomorrow up to see you guys.

How’s it been?

Good. We’ve been kicking some butt. We did all of our French TV shows, then we did a gig in Switzerland that was cool, and SXSW and L.A., mostly just promotional stuff, so it’s gonna be good just to get back on the road and do normal jobs.

Yeah, I saw the SXSW show. It was awesome.

Oh, you were there?

Yeah, it was great. And I’ve seen some of the stuff on YouTube, and I was impressed by how it’s still just as wild as the shows from the ’60s. But what, if anything, has changed for you?

Well, we’ve been at it now for almost four years. We started [up again] in 2003, so it’s been really great. It was fun back then, but it was limited audiences. We played some pop festivals to big people, and we played our little club circuit. … We went to L.A. once and San Francisco, but we were mostly east of the Mississippi. We were mostly a Midwest and East Coast band. But I remember one of my favorite stories in the old days was when we opened for Ten Years After at the Boston Tea Party. So imagine that crowd, the Ten Years After crowd, with that kind of speed-induced boogie beat, you know, that kind of up-tempo stuff. After we did a couple songs, there were four people that applauded. And those four people were our fan club presidents, and their friends from Philadelphia. So now the difference is that we go out to a greater audience that is more accepting. I always say that the world’s finally caught up with us, or something. People really appreciate it and I like when they sing along, when Iggy goes, “Now I wanna…” [and the crowd responds,] “… be your dog!” So I love that. It’s been great playing now, to finally have a good audience, and to be able to travel all over the world and now to be able to play in the United States.

I have a few dumb questions for you now. I figure you’ve been talking about the band so much that it might be nice to talk about some other stuff. This is for a feature we call “Reviews the News,” where each week, we ask somebody whom we admire what they think about the latest news. I promise not to make the questions too insulting.

That’s OK.

So you know who P. Diddy is, right?

Yeah.

So this week, as an April Fool’s joke one of the girls from the band he put together, Danity Kane, tricked the gossip Web sites that she was carrying Diddy’s baby.

[Laughs].

I imagine being in a band called The Stooges, you’ve pulled quite a few April Fool’s jokes.

There was a lot of goofy stuff, and funny things, but we weren’t really practical jokers. When Iggy got married, his wife moved in – he was only married for one month, and I told him that was how long it was going to last. So, she moved into the band house, and we were like, “there’s gonna be trouble.”  So they had this little room upstairs in the house we lived in, which was called the Fun House. So he lived up in the attic in this really nice space with pine walls and this really great view from the top. So then she tried to set up a little housekeeping and they got a little refrigerator, and my brother knew that it was stocked with lots of good things to eat, so every time they left, we would go in and take the food we wanted. And she would get more and more infuriated, and that was the end of the wedding. … And in a weird way, Iggy thought it was kind of funny.

Do you watch “American Idol” at all?

No.

Well, there’s this one contestant, Sanjaya Malakar, who wears his hair in this big, ridiculous fake Mohawk.

Oh, I saw him in the paper.

OK, so he was reportedly offered a lifetime supply of Kentucky Fried Chicken if he styled his hair like their buckets. What’s the weirdest opportunity to sell out you’ve received?

No one wanted to be commercially associated with The Stooges, but one thing we did enjoy was when we were on our way to a gig one day, and we clicked on the radio station we always listened to and here comes our song out of the blue. It’s “Real Cool Time,” and it’s just that riff looped, and then comes the voice, “Saturday Detroit Dragstrip Funny Car Extravaganza!” And we were just going ballistic because they used that song unbeknownst to us to advertise the Saturday drag races, and that was the coolest thing. Also, I got a big kick out of this, because I love animals. I have dogs and cats. Iggy told me The Westminster Dog Show is gonna use “I Wanna Be Your Dog” as an advertisement for the show. So for me, that was a great thrill. Finally, “I Wanna Be Your Dog” gets a true home, advertising the dog show. I didn’t get to hear it, because I’m not gonna just sit there all day. … They’re putting our songs on video games, and that’s cool.

Jennifer Lopez and Beyonce are releasing songs in Spanish to broaden their markets. Can we expect to hear “Yo Quiero a Estar tu Perro” any time soon?

Probably not. But Iggy can actually speak enough French to get by, some Spanish, some Italian, some German, so it’s really cool when we go there. I think France is one of the places where we’re the biggest. They’re gonna make “I Wanna Be Your Dog” the French national anthem, that’s always been my story. When Iggy gets onstage and speaks to the audience in their language, they really appreciate that. … But what I want to do, Iggy still has one record with Virgin that he owes them, so he’s trying to think of things to do, so I’m going, “Christmas record!” So that’s what I wanna do. I’m still serious, Pat.

Well this is interesting. You’ll get a kick out of this. In Boston we have a few bands who have a long-standing tradition of doing holiday shows as the MC5, but it stands for the Merry Christmas 5, and The Scrooges.

[Laughter] The Scrooges. I love it! I really do wanna make a Christmas record for fun. It would be seriously doing some of the traditional songs, in our way of playing, and even writing. I know it sounds corny, but I love it when it’s Christmastime and I like hearing the songs on the radio. I’m always into the Christmas songs, the traditional songs, and things like “Feliz Navidad,” and all the comedy songs. And Paul McCartney’s got that sappy Christmas song.

Oh boy. That’s horrible.

Yeah, it’s so bad, I like it. [sings] Simply having…

Martin Sheen does an even worse version of it.

[Laughs] And then you’ve got John Lennon’s great Christmas dirge. That’s one depressing Christmas song, man. But it would be fun to do “A Stooges Christmas.” But Scrooges already jumped on that one.

And the Merry Christmas 5 too.

MC5. That is too cool, man.

So Iggy turns 60 this month, and you’re not too far behind, right?

Yeah, a couple years behind.

So what are you guys doing to celebrate his birthday?

Well, knowing him, probably nothing. I did get him a gift, but I didn’t bring it on the road because he travels lightly. Literally, he’s going out for three weeks, so he’ll have what I call his pilot’s bag. It’s a duffle bag that’s a little bigger than a doctor’s case. It’s a beautiful old beat up thing. Pilots used to carry it in the ’30s when they were traveling overnight. He puts the bare minimum of stuff in there. He never likes to get stuff on the road, so I got a lot of stuff that he was given, because he didn’t wanna schlep it around or have room for it. I got a gift from the prime minister of Macedonia that was given to him. He didn’t have any room for it, so I got it. So I got some stuff for him, and a guy that lives right here in my neighborhood who is in a couple bands, and his friend made a marionette of Iggy. And he’s always been trying to give it to him for years, even before we were together. So when he comes home, I’ll be able to send him that. Probably, when we’re on the road he keeps to himself. He’ll be in San Francisco, so we’ll try to coax him down for a fine bottle of wine, or something. That’s probably what we’ll do for him. He didn’t wanna be in L.A. on his birthday, so he’s gonna be in San Francisco.

That’s interesting that you mention a bottle of wine. I feel like every time I read about you guys lately, it’s mentioned that a bottle of wine is the strongest drug any of you use.

Oh, it’s been years. I was never into heroin. I haven’t even smoked marijuana in so many years. I did that in the past. No, it’s just that I don’t care anymore. I’ve been there, done that, and I’m not really interested. No one does any kind of drugs. And our big deal is, after the show, it’s true, there’s a couple bottles of wine and some beer, and probably our biggest vice is that after the show and enjoying a couple beers. No one is a big-time partier, and it’s not, “let’s really get fucked up and pick up some girls!” No one does that. It’s more like a business we enjoy. Our own company and what guests we might see after the show, and pretty much, we stick around for an hour and after it’s back to the hotel to go to sleep, or read. A lot of reading. I went to the bookstore yesterday to stock up on books for the road.

What kind of stuff?

I got some good stuff. A Beatles story “Shout!” [by Phillip Norman]. I got a book about D-Day. They had a great sale on big, coffee table stuff. I can’t bring that, but I’ve also got, I love sea battles, so I got the story of the battle for the Philippines from the view of three of the destroyers that were with Taffy 3, which is how the Japanese tricked the American fleet and Admiral Halsey to go north and then they attacked this little escort carrier fleet and started wiping everyone out, and how these three or four destroyers stood up against Japanese battle ships. So I like that kind of stuff. Biographies about music or actors or anything historical or World War II. I got a couple paperbacks I’m gonna stick in my carry-on about long range patrols, the guys who go deep in the jungle and sabotage and assassinate, so I’m getting stocked up on that. And that’s what we do. Iggy doesn’t smoke. He’s quit smoking, probably over 10 years ago. That’s one vice though. Everyone does still enjoy cigarettes after the show. It’s so funny, because before and after, everyone’s a little nervous, and I don’t smoke as much as the others. Usually at home I’ll just have cigarettes when I have a drink. Drinking and cigarettes go together. Otherwise I won’t have cigarettes for a couple days, because I didn’t have a drink for a couple days. So iggy sticks his head in our dressing room and you don’t realize when you’re in there that it’s a blue haze, that it’s a blue cloud. So he looks in, and he’s just like, “oh man!”

Sounds pretty mellow. Tell me a little about what it was like back in the day.

Probably in those days it was the peace deal. Everyone was non-violent. Probably one of the weirdest after-the-show stories is we played this little town in upper Michigan in the thumb. Maybe it was Caseville. So we would do our show, and Iggy has someone make him a pair of brown vinyl pants, and he wore those brown vinyl pants until that night, when they split. So I didn’t notice what had happened, so I’m like, “He’s not onstage.” So then he comes back out with a towel on, and he finishes the set with a towel. So we’re leaving the show, and we leave the stage, and the security guard was a retired policeman. He was probably in his late 60s or early 70s. He was the grandfather type guy, and he stops me and he goes, “you know, I really like you guys.” And I’m like, “Well, wow, that’s cool.” And he says, “I wanna warn you that a girl here came to me. Her father’s a state trooper, and the state trooper post is right on the corner. She went to get her father, because that Iggy, he exposed his penis.” And I never noticed anything, but I imagine it probably happened if his pants split, or whatever, because you know he didn’t wear any underwear under his pants. At that time no one wore underwear. So I go, “Oh, cool.” And I went and told Iggy. I told the management. So they’re getting him out of there, and I’m like, “That’s so cool that guy did that.” So we’re sitting in the dressing room, relaxing, and the next thing you know the door bursts open, and there’s six big state troopers. A couple guys actually got their guns out. They’re not pointing their guns at us, but they’ve got their guns in hand, and we’re “Wooooahhh!” and the big seargent, who must have been the father says, “Where’s that Iggy guy?” and what we really wanted to do, if we weren’t so frightened, was start laughing. “That Iggy guy!” and everyone’s mouth was opened, and we couldn’t talk, but someone says, “He’s not here, sir.” And he goes, “You are all under arrest until we catch that Iggy.” And we’re like, “ohhhh no. He made his escape and we’re going to jail.” So the next thing I know our manager comes in and goes, “Well, they got him.” … What happened was he was hiding in the trunk of a car while another car that was headed back here to Ann Arbor was gonna take him and give him a ride home. And they caught him just as he was coming out of the trunk. So he spent the night in jail. The weirdest part was having to call his father at like 3:30 in the morning by the time we got home, “Well, your son’s in jail.” So he had to go and bail him out, which is already a couple hours away. And Iggy told me how he was thrown in the drunk tank wearing his skin-tight Levis, and whatever shirt he was wearing, and just all the hassle he got from these super redneck dudes in the three hours he was there before he was bailed out by his dad. So I was lucky that day. I never got arrested.

That reminds me of that scene in “Velvet Goldmine” where Curt Wild flashes the crowd. I always wondered what you guys thought of that movie. I mean, you might be a little biased since you played on the soundtrack, but…

Well, I was invited to play and I wrote some songs. They did “TV Eye,” and I wrote “My Unclean,” which is used in that one piece where the Iggy guy just goes ballistic in the control room and busting things up when he got fired. That little piece with Mark Arm singing. But they didn’t even use Mark Arm. They just used my little snippet of the tune. So it was fun to be able to do something. So, while I was doing it, I went out and did some interviews with Todd Haynes, the director. And they asked me about the movie, and I’m going, “well, you know, I didn’t see it.” And everyone’s like, “What?!!!” So Todd Haynes set it up and we got to go to the Tribeca Theatre, which is Scorsese and De Niro’s little private screening room. It’s an awesome little theater, right there in Little Italy. … So I watched the picture, and I liked it. Everything went on the screen. They didn’t have much of a budget. I think they had $5 million or $7 million. But he was offered by Miramax, if he took the heavy-handed homosexual overtones, they would be really willing to go the whole nine yards for him. But being that the director is gay, that was his thing. You don’t ask Iggy to cut swearing out of his songs. But I did enjoy the picture, and it was kind of ponderous, and I went with Thurston Moore, and he had seen it before and he goes, “you know, I liked it the second time around.” And visually, it’s attractive. But Iggy never saw it, and he’ll never see it, he says. If you bring it up, he bristles like Sergeant Carter or Gomer Pyle, with the teeth clenched.

So how about other ways people have portrayed your experiences? Have you read the Paul Trynka book “Iggy: Open Up and Bleed”?

No, I’ve just seen the excerpts on the Internet.

What do you think?

Well, I’m surprised at a lot of the pictures. I’ve known Paul for a long time. He’s actually come to this house three times from England and spoken from me for articles. I didn’t know he was actually working on a book. But it’s gotta be cool. He quit his job as the editor of MOJO magazine to write this book, so I’ll try to get him to send me one. But I’d even buy it to look at the pictures.

What are your favorite Stooges cover versions?

There were so many of them. Well, of course I like Sex Pistols’ “No Fun.” That was probably my favorite. And Joan Jett’s “Now I Wanna Be Your Dog” is good. I never did get to hear Depeche Mode’s “Down on the Street” or “Dirt.”

Did you ever hear Uncle Tupelo’s countrified version of “Now I Wanna Be Your Dog”?

No. There’s so many. I’m just finding out stuff from Iggy as we do these interviews where we’re all sitting together, and things are brought up and I’m like, “I didn’t know that.” People always send them to him, so he pretty much has everything that he knows of and he says, “When I get some time I’m gonna have my assistant put them all together.” So that’ll be cool.

It sounds like you guys don’t hang the way you did when you all lived in the Fun House.

Well, we’re so far apart now. But it’s still that feeling, and that’s a great thing. In those days it was our decision and that was kinda the way it went back then. Bands that wanna be really serious and be real bands, they live together. They get a house. They get their equipment and go and get a bunch of egg cartons and staple them to the wall, and that’s your deadening effect, so it won’t be so ringy. We did the same thing. We found an old farm house for 200 bucks a month, got those egg crates in the living room, and it was a beautiful living room. We were like, “It sure is a shame to cover up that beautiful field stone fireplace.” But it got covered. And we did everything together. We got up at the same time, went to bed at the same time. So we pretty much still have that vibe. When it was the “Raw Power” era, that’s when we started going out on our own. I had a certain bunch of friends. I liked to go to the museums. Iggy had other things he liked to do. Scotty, James Williamson and I would get together, sit around, shoot the shit and drink some wine, smoke some cigarettes. …But everything comes easy because of all that time we spent together. We’ve got that bond.

Forgive me, I have to go back to the ridiculous Reviews the News thing. There’s one question I notice I didn’t ask. With all of these news items of questionable paternity, like Mel B insisting her baby daddy is Eddie Murphy and all of the Anna Nicole Smith stuff, are there a lot of illegitimate Stooges running around?

I know a lot of Stooges that were vacuumed out. Iggy has his child though. Well, he’s not a kid anymore. He’s probably 35 or something. I’ve heard rumors for myself that there’s someone. I know this guy that introduced me to this woman and he said she had my kid, and got married and never told her husband.
In those days with all the free love, those were great and interesting times. I feel bad about it now, but back then I didn’t think about it but there were a lot of vacuumed-out Stooges. I’m sorry, God!

Woah. OK. After all of these years, what is your favorite song to play?

I like them all. I enjoyed playing the set Iggy came up with that we had been doing for four years, and I’m kinda sad it’s going away now because we’re doing six of seven new songs. I enjoy playing the new stuff, but I never get sick of the old ones. And people go, “Don’t you get tired of ‘Now I Wanna Be Your Dog,’ and I’m like, “Hell, no, man!” It’s fun to play and the audience response is there, so I’ve gotta say if my life depended on picking one song I would have to pick “Now I Wanna Be Your Dog.”

Link: http://www.metrobostonnews.com/us/article/2009/01/06/23/1738-66/index.xml

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2009 at 3:13pm by GotToRollMe »  

IP Logged

Rocks Off Regular

New York
Reply #27 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 12:22pm
Ron was one of the unheralded greats. Here's another interview from a while back:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/ronasheton.html

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #28 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 12:49pm
didn't SS sing and play lead tambourine at an Iggy show a few years back? seems he had the hastily snapped cell phone pics to prove it too.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #29 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 4:42am
The news keeps getting worse:

Dispute at rock star's home
Sister of Stooges' deceased guitarist says his belongings were being removed
George Hunter / The Detroit News
ANN ARBOR -- The sister of Ron Asheton, the late guitar player for legendary rock band Iggy and the Stooges, has changed the locks on the doors of his home and hired a private security firm to watch the house after an acquaintance of Asheton was discovered trying to remove guitars and other memorabilia from the residence, police said.
Asheton's sister called police after she arrived at her deceased brother's home about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday and discovered several people loading his belongings into a van, Ann Arbor Police Lt. Angella Abrams said.
When police arrived, one of them told them that Asheton's sister had assaulted her, Abrams said.

"An acquaintance of Mr. Asheton felt she had full access to his belongings," Abrams said. "That was not the case; the surviving siblings have access to the home and property.
"When the sister walked up while (an acquaintance) of Mr. Asheton was removing property from the home, she called us. This wasn't a very complex matter: The family has the right to the property right now."
Police informed the person she was not allowed on the property without permission from Asheton's relatives, Abrams said. She added that the alleged assault by the sister is under investigation.
Asheton, who was ranked by Rolling Stone magazine 29th on its "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" list, helped form The Stooges with legendary rocker Iggy Pop in 1967.
Asheton's body was discovered by police shortly after midnight Tuesday; a cause of death has not yet been determined.
You can reach George Hunter at (313) 222-2134 or [email protected].

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090108/METRO/901080374

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #30 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 8:43am
01/08/2009 07:21:54 AM
SEX PISTOLS' MATLOCK AND GILLESPIE ADD TO ASHETON TRIBUTES

SEX PISTOLS guitarist GLEN MATLOCK and PRIMAL SCREAM frontman BOBBY GILLESPIE are the latest rockers to pay tribute to THE STOOGES star RON ASHETON, who died on Tuesday (06 Jan 09).

The 60-year-old's body was discovered by police in the living room of his Michigan home after his personal assistant raised the alarm about his whereabouts when she couldn't reach the star.

Cops believe the rocker suffered a heart attack a few days previously, although the official cause of death has yet to be determined.

And musicians have been honouring Asheton with heartfelt tributes - with Gillespie branding the rocker "one of the greats".

He tells NME.com, "I just loved The Stooges. Ron's was a totally original style: really fucking sexy and wild and reckless and free.

"He was a free rock 'n' roll guitarist. He made up his own style - there's nobody else who sounded like Ron Asheton. As soon as you hear the first chords of any Stooges song you knew it was him playing.

"He had killer riffs. 'No Fun', 'Down On The Street', 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' - all those songs you identify with a guitar riff even before Iggy (Pop) starts singing. He's one of the greats, I think."

And punk legend Matlock insists Asheton is deserving of icon status, due to his groundbreaking musical roots.

He adds, "He's certainly a punk forerunner, but he's also part of a tradition of people like Dave Davies from The Kinks, and John Lee Hooker, Link Wray, all those people. The Stooges were a continuation of that line.

"Ron's worthy of his status because of his simplicity. He just knew what was right for those songs."

Iggy Pop and the remaining members of The Stooges made an emotional statement just hours after Asheton's death, with Pop branding the star his "best friend".

Link: http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/matlock%20and%20gillespie%20add%20t...

« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2009 at 8:46am by GotToRollMe »  

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #31 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 12:56pm
R.I.P. Ron, I bought The Stooges First album in around 1970, at the time they toured a lot with Alice Cooper, & The MC5, thanks to all those that posted those great video's & interviews & articles, it brought back to life a great simple guitarist that didn't need to know a hundred notes at once, but played from the heart.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #32 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 7:46pm
Musical memorial planned for the Stooges' Ron Asheton
Susan Whitall / The Detroit News
Ron Asheton of the Stooges will be honored in a gathering of his friends dubbed "Ronnie ...Thanks a Million: An Elegant Farewell to a Beloved Friend" to be held at 9 p.m. Saturday at the Music Hall Center for the Performing Arts.
Asheton, 60, was found dead Jan. 6 in his Ann Arbor home.
The guitarist played with the reconstituted Stooges, one of the most celebrated and notorious bands from the fertile '60s Detroit rock scene. Asheton did not survive to see if the band finally will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, class of 2009.
Advertisement

Saturday's tribute is being hosted by Asheton's former muse and bandmate in the group Destroy All Monsters, the artist Niagara, along with her partner Colonel Galaxy.
There is no admission charge, but Asheton's friends and fans are asked to donate whatever they can to cover the night's expenses, as well as the guitarist's favorite charity, the Michigan Humane Society.
There will be tributes to Asheton by friends and those influenced by him, a film retrospective by Tim Caldwell, and Asheton's own music will be played.
At 11 p.m., there will be a special performance in the Music Hall's Jazz Café by Asheton's former Dark Carnival bandmates, led by Bootsey X & the Lovemasters, and some "very special friends will play in honor of their late band mate and friend."
Asheton is best known for his grinding, proto-punk guitar sound on such Stooges songs as "1969," "No Fun" and "I Wanna Be Your Dog." After Iggy and the Stooges split, he stayed in Michigan to lead the groups Destroy All Monsters and then Dark Carnival.
In a statement, Niagara and the Colonel said: "Ron Asheton was more than an innovative guitarist, he was an easygoing, subtly hilarious guy who, simply and effectively, created a sound and aesthetic which will forever reverberate as long as there are guitar players. Ron maximized his early work into postmodern art of the highest order. In retrospect, Ron's influence cannot be overstated, only imitated. Ronnie used to like to say, 'Thanks a million,' in mock gratitude when joking with friends. Now here's our last chance to say, 'Ronnie... Thanks a Million.' "
For more information on the Ron Asheton tribute, go to www.myspace.com/niagaradetroit. There will be a cash bar in the Hall as well as in the Jazz Café. The Music Hall Center for the Performing Arts is located at 350 Madison in Detroit. Call (313) 887-8500 or go to www.musichall.org.
You can reach Susan Whitall at (313) 222-2156 or at [email protected]

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090111/ENT04/901110310/1424/ENT0...

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #33 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 1:59pm
IGGY POP's First Interview About Death Of THE STOOGES Guitarist RON ASHETON

January 12, 2009

Iggy Pop gave his first interview today (Monday, January 11) about the passing of his longtime friend and THE STOOGES guitarist Ron Asheton who was found dead in his Ann Arbor, Michigan home on January 6. A few excerpts from the chat, which aired on the "Deminski & Doyle" morning show (hosted by Jeff Deminski and Bill Doyle) on 94.7 WCSX in Detroit, follow below.

On what Ron meant to him:

"As long as I don't think about it, I'm OK. And then when I think about it, I'm not OK… He had a beautiful touch as a musician. He developed such a unique sound and approach to his instrument and writing that I don't think that everybody got it at first, but over the years other generations caught on. I think a lot of good musicians were influenced by what Ron pioneered. As far as the personal side of it, for some reason my mind keeps going back to little clubs and bars in Ann Arbor… high school dances, armory dances that we would play, and, of course, the Grand Ballroom."

His first memories of Ron:

"I knew Ron in high school vaguely because we were two of the first guys to let our hair grow over our ears. We used to get hassled for that from time to time. I was a little straighter than him and he knew a crowd of people that I would loosely term the beatniks. They would probably be called the stoners today. We were playing in these little bands around Southern Michigan and even into Central Michigan somewhere between the years '64, '65 and '66. We finally put together a blues band called THE PRIME MOVERS. I was the drummer. I always thought immediately that he would've fit in with one of those dirty, scruffy English rock bands that have been parodied recently by the 'Austin Powers' movie… I'm happy for him that he became well heard and that he was on a high in his career and in his music when he passed away."

On Ron's guitar style and his use of the amp:

"We were the first group, with our little minds, to open up at about the age of 18 or 19. It was the psychedelic era and we were psychedlicized. We were listening to a lot of Eastern music and at the same time we would listen to rock. I had this little ritual when he started our group, I would walk about a mile to the bus stop and take the bus to Asheton's house. I would throw rocks at his window until he came down. He would sit in this rocking chair on the front porch and smoke a little hash in this pipe, while I would play him Eastern music, Lebanese music, belly dance music, jazz music, things to temper the influence of the day. The idea was that a lot of bands of the day sounded like cover bands, and weren't going to get anywhere. We looked at popular musicians of the time and I noticed what guys like Bob Dylan were doing was re-writing the lyrics to classic ancient folk songs. When you look at the first ROLLING STONES album and their influences like Buddy Holly, Muddy Waters and Bo Diddley… and so I thought, 'That's been done. How about our band goes further afield for our influences?' As that process took place… instead of hearing just a load of noise, we all started hearing different harmonics and dissonances and three or four chance melodies. He more than just played. He really did just let the amp talk."

On how he found out about Ron's death?

"I woke up and got a cell phone message last Tuesday morning from my U.K. manager for THE STOOGES (Henry McGroggin)… He just said, 'Call me, I really need to talk to you.' From the tone of his voice I knew something really big was up. So I called him in Europe. He said, 'I got some bad news for you.' From the tone of that, I had an immediate interior reaction. He then told me Ron had passed away."

On which bands Ron's influence can be heard in today:

"The most obvious would be SONIC YOUTH…bands that use dissonance and overdrive. I hear a little bit in SMASHING PUMPKINS…also in NIRVANA." (After the interview was completed, Iggy emailed "Deminski & Doyle" and wanted to add THE WHITE STRIPES to that list.)

THE STOOGES live in New York City (2007):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e00KLFyqYM

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2009 at 8:16am by GotToRollMe »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #34 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 10:13am
Starbuck wrote on Jan 7th, 2009 at 12:49pm:
didn't SS sing and play lead tambourine at an Iggy show a few years back? seems he had the hastily snapped cell phone pics to prove it too.

this ain't bringing Sir Stonesalot back.........

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)