Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
War flicks (nsc) (Read 3,160 times)
Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
War flicks (nsc)
Dec 29th, 2008 at 10:52am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
any war movie fans out there?

i was able to see "passchendaele" this weekend, the canadian WWI flick written and directed by the mountie from "due south". an interesting flick...the love story was the main plot line, but it had some of the best combat scenes i've seen since "band of brothers"; it was by far the most realistic depiction of WWI that i have ever seen, so i'll give it kudos for that. anyone seen it yet? sean? i can't quite figure out the ending....

anyone interested can watch it at this link. the combat stuff starts at about 1:03. the rat bit is worth the price of admission!

http://www.watch-movies.net/movies/passchendaele/

FYI...there is only one surviving combat veteran of world war I left alive, harry patch of england.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2008 at 10:55am by Starbuck »  

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
Re: War flicks (nsc)
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 11:09am
'Stalingrad' and 'Cross Of Iron' have some of the best ground combat movie footage you'll ever see(youtube has clips from both)....for air combat, it's tough to top the 'Battle Of Britain' ('Memphis Belle' was propagandistic bubblegum)...'das Boot' for the naval enthusiasts (the German version ONLY)

for plot, gotta love 'Apocalypse Now' and 'The Patriot' (the latter being one of the few movies with the courage to show the Brits in battle for what they are)

the two Gettysburg movies (including 'Gods and Generals') could have been good, but no blood.....in combat, there is blood...

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 11:20am
never seen "cross of iron", but "stalingrad" is arguably the best war movie i've ever seen.  kraut flick made by krauts that lets the world know that they were actually human too. you can feel the coldness of the russian winters by just watching that flick.

"gods and generals" was one of the worst war flicks in the history of bad war flicks. "gettysburg" didn't even mention the 1st minnesota...

sean, if you get a chance, check out passchendaele...i can't figure out the crucifixion scene. wtf? a shell blast did that?

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 12:35pm
tom and jerry have some real intense battle scenes

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 12:53pm
Quote:
tom and jerry have some real intense battle scenes

so do glenny and pdog...fpm and nazi pigs....not to mention myself and feej when we go into the studio.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 12:55pm
at least tom & jerry resolved their issues like men instead of like huge massive pussies who rely on women's earnings. just saying...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 12:56pm
I rented Man on a wire today.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 12:59pm
Joyeux Noel is a great war/peace flick...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #8 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 1:07pm
Saving Private Ryan

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 1:26pm
only the first half hour...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #10 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 1:32pm
Patton- I remember seeing it at a drive in when it first came out- sitting on top of my dad's car being scared of the man in front of the flag.

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #11 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 1:37pm
Quote:
at least tom & jerry resolved their issues like men instead of like huge massive pussies who rely on women's earnings. just saying...

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 1:51pm
Some Guy wrote on Dec 29th, 2008 at 1:32pm:
Patton- I remember seeing it at a drive in when it first came out- sitting on top of my dad's car being scared of the man in front of the flag.

Patton was great. Too bad we've fallen so far...

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #13 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 1:57pm
I blame the Republicans really?

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 1:59pm
My favorite war movie of all time is Patton. Hands down and it's not even close. The fact that they did not use authentic German panzers notwithstanding. George C. Scott just really nailed the essence of Patton so well. Though the voice was a far cry from what Patton really sounded like.

For Christmas I got the entire The World At War series! I am pumped because as a kid I watched all 26 episodes when they ran on TV back in 1975. Lawrence Olivier did an incredible job on the narration and to my mind it is the best documentary look at the second world war. The footage is incredible as well.

Riffy
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2008 at 6:05pm by Riffhard »  

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 2:12pm
I saw that years ago...Excellent.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #16 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 2:14pm
Will future generations watch Iraq/ Afghanistan war movies?

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #17 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 2:17pm
In reality, Patton sounded very girlish.  The movie's failure to use panzers was a big drawback...in fact the whole El Guetar sequence was its weakest point.

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #18 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 2:18pm
'Breaker Morant' is another excellent movie with the courage to show the Brits at war for what they are.  The 'World At War' TV series was decent in its time but is now VERY vadly dated and full of misonformation.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 2:25pm
Some Guy wrote on Dec 29th, 2008 at 2:14pm:

All the ones from Desert Strom seem fairly to deeply negative about America's role there & that war was popular. The flicks that have already been made about this war have all been massive bombs.

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 4:32pm
platoon has always been one of my favorites .  i also like full metal jacket, saving private ryan and apocolypse now, but not the extended version.  i think it drags on way to long and its pretty boring.  all are classics.  i saw hamburger hill the other week and thought that was pretty good.
a little off topic, but forrest gump i thought was tremendous.  it has war references tho.

is flags of our fathers any good?  anyone?

...thats spelled dear not deer.  oh thats ok she don't speak no good english no how....

Shit!
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2008 at 4:37pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #21 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 7:19pm
Das Boot
Full Metal Jacket
The Killing Fields
Spartacus
Alexander Nevsky
Downfall
Laurence of Arabia
A Bridge too Far

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #22 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 11:28pm
My favorites are Paths Of Glory and Full Metal Jacket. (Maybe Dr. Strangelove should be #1; it's nuclear war, after all. ) FMJ's soundtrack contains "Surfin' Bird" and "Paint It Black". Enough said!: Buy Full Metal Jacket. WARNING: chances are that you won't like it, if you don't like war.

Patton is alright. George C. Scott is a genius (he was in Dr. Strangelove). He's a sore Oscar winner, though. But that's fine.

Apocalypse Now is, sometimes, visually striking; an "opera"; but it's a bit puffed up, IMHO (even for an "opera" - yeah: I hate operas that last ten hours). I prefer Platoon, if only because it's more plausible (being a personal work from the filmmaker). And maybe The Deer Hunter isn't the most accurate representation of war (especially for the Vietnamese), but, it does have some terrific performances.

The Thin Red Line is extraordinarily well made. Honestly, it is possibly the best anti-war film I've ever seen. A bit long, perhaps, but, unlike Apocalypse, it deals not with the chaos of war but with the ability of men to appreciate the beauty of life, despite the war. (That's a tough thing to put on the screen.) If I were a pothead, I'd love it more than I do now.

I've a soft spot for Coming Home (not a war movie really, but a very well acted soap opera). Mainly beacuse it allowed me to listen "Out Of Time" for the first time.

Godard's Les Carabiniers is fine for its cynicism. When it opened, it was blasted for its deliberate ugliness. (One critic derided the use of real stock footage of war, within the "fiction". But that was the point: Godard would insert the image of a dead soldier, without emphasizing it, letting the footage speak for itself.) Plus, it's short and does not evade humor. Bergman's Shame, on the other hand, is suffocating and humorless. And, in that way, it's a success.

I haven't watched Come And See (from Russia) yet; apparently, one of the most disturbing war movies ever made; more so, since it's captured from the view of a child. (It's in youtube, pero en español.)

Saving Private Ryan has some very good special effects. And that was it.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2008 at 4:07pm by MrPleasant »  

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #23 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 12:19am
Quote:
Some Guy wrote on Dec 29th, 2008 at 2:14pm:

All the ones from Desert Strom seem fairly to deeply negative about America's role there & that war was popular.

Desert Strom?  That's what Trent Lott should have done.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #24 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 12:38am
"come and see" was the weirdest film i've ever seen. very freaky. i think i made it through half of it before i turned it off out of sheer confusion.

i take it no one has seen "passchendaele"?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)