Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 © Michael Chow/The Republic

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Charlie is My Darling," (Read 608 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

"Charlie is My Darling,"
Dec 13th, 2008 at 11:01pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Film catches the early Stones

Peter Whitehead's rarely seen documentary will be shown at 21c
By Jeffrey Lee Puckett • [email protected] • December 12, 2008
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20081212/SCENE04/812120359/1011/SCENE

In 1965, director Peter Whitehead accompanied the Rolling Stones on a three-day tour of Ireland, shooting entirely in the cinema verite style, which perfectly captured the young band's rawness and vitality.

Whitehead, D.A. Pennebaker and the Maysles brothers, Albert and David, were busy developing the language of the rock 'n' roll documentary at the time. The Maysles had filmed The Beatles on a 1964 swing through America ("What's Happening! The Beatles in America") and Pennebaker traveled with Bob Dylan through England in '65, making "Don't Look Back."

Where Pennebaker's take on cinema verite perfectly combined the style's naturalistic approach with a more or less linear narrative, Whitehead was more of a purist intent on communicating energy, feeling and emotion while staying out of the way -- or at least appearing to.

The resulting documentary, "Charlie is My Darling," is a kinetic, almost free-form experience. There isn't a story except the one revealed by the images and personalities: a not-yet-sophisticated Mick Jagger reveling in the chaos he creates at performances; Brian Jones vacillating between fragile and egotistical; a candid Charlie Watts simultaneously charming and melancholic.

After "Charlie is My Darling" debuted on the BBC in 1966, it virtually disappeared except when resurrected by groups such as the Louisville Film Society, which is showing a 16mm print of the movie Tuesday in Gallery 2 at 21c Museum Hotel, 700 W. Main St. (7 and 9 p.m., free). The film is fascinating, although it can challenge your attention span, but that isn't the reason it's so rarely seen.

"It just never had a theatrical release because of rights issues," said Tracy Heightchew of the LFS. "I don't think the band's lawyers signed off on it, hence the poor bootleg VHS (tapes) that were being circulated in the '80s.

"The film is also interesting for its depiction of Ireland at that time as well as the insight into the Stones."

The film's interviews are its heart. Watts is especially riveting. When he's asked "Why did you take up music?" a pained look transforms his normally tranquil expression. "Well, this is it, you see, I didn't really take up … I didn't look upon it as music. I just took up the drums."

The conflicts between what he was and what he wanted to be seem to run so deep that it's a wonder he has survived more than 40 years with the band. He sounds as if he's ready to quit. Jagger and Keith Richards, on the other hand, are total goofs while imitating Elvis and riffing on English poets, hormonal lads poised to take on the world.
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2008 at 11:03pm by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Re: "Charlie is My Darling,"
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 11:41pm
Wow, I love "Charlie". How cool that it's actually being shown somewhere! You'd think that it would pop up in some obscure film festivals, or in college classes occasionally.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 11:48pm
Years ago I saw "A Hard Day's Night" in this old retro theatre and they played "Charlie Is My Darling" before it.

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 2:23pm
Gimme Shelter wrote on Dec 13th, 2008 at 11:48pm:
Years ago I saw "A Hard Day's Night" in this old retro theatre and they played "Charlie Is My Darling" before it.

Really??? That is quite brilliant, actually. And seriously COOL. Smiley Cool

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 7:12am
I got a copy of this years ago on VHS, very poor quality, but one of the first films of The Stones being interviewed in dept, & one of the few of Brian being interviewed, what got me when I first saw it, was the riots in Ireland, when the fans took over the stage while The Stones were playing, being attacked by all these guys, I guess that was normal back then, except for the poor quality I got, a good film.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 8:45am
Some of those Irish concerts in the mid 60's were the wildest, most violent the boys ever encountered....and there was one in Blackpool, I believe it was, that was legendary also. The German shows were usually crazy too! The thing about the Stones concerts back then......most of the audience members were guys, not girls. Hence,  the thrown bottles, smashed pianos and instruments and amps, the theatre chairs torn out and tossed on stage,....in the Beatles concerts, you mostly just had to worry about being able to hear again after all the female screaming!!

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 12:54pm
As Keith once said, if you Gerry & The pacemakers on the same bill, the screaming would be unbelieveable, so The Stones had their chair of screaming, but a great topic to being up sioux.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Marty
Rocks Off Regular

Time is on my side

paris, france
Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 4:14am
Here's a torrent link to download "Charlie is my Darling" if anyone's interested :
http://www.mininova.org/get/1478804
There's just enough seeders to get it in a few hours

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)