Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The METS pick a Putz (Read 311 times)
monkey_man
Rocks Off Regular

Fac ut vivas.

The METS pick a Putz
Dec 11th, 2008 at 11:27am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
The Mets acquired JJ Putz from the Mariners; NY POST sports writer's piddle themsleves in delight.  War for back page headline editing slot starts NOW!

12/11/08 1:43 AM EST

Mets acquire Putz to set up K-Rod
Heilman, Smith, Chavez, Carp dealt in three-team trade
By Anthony DiComo / MLB.com

LAS VEGAS -- Whatever celebration followed the Mets' signing of Francisco Rodriguez had already subsided by early Wednesday afternoon. General manager Omar Minaya was in his Bellagio suite, in fact, preparing to speak about his acquisition when the phone rang. He spoke softly into the receiver, hung up, then disappeared into a back room.
When he and his aides emerged from that suite roughly five hours later, they did so with three new players in their employ. The Mets announced soon after that they had acquired J.J. Putz in a 12-player deal with the Mariners and Indians, sending relievers Aaron Heilman and Joe Smith, outfielder Endy Chavez and four prospects out of New York in exchange for Putz, outfielder Jeremy Reed and right-handed reliever Sean Green.

"All I kept hearing in the streets of New York when you go to get bagels in the morning was, 'Please address the bullpen,'" Minaya said. "Well, to you Mets fans, we've addressed the bullpen by getting Mr. Putz."

Putz will serve as the setup man to Rodriguez, inserting two of the league's top relievers into the back end of Minaya's bullpen. Putz, 31, has served as the Mariners' closer for each of the past three seasons, saving 91 games over that run.

"It's not the ideal situation, but having the two of us at the back of the bullpen will be pretty strong," Putz said in a telephone interview on Wednesday night. "I will not change my approach at all. I will close the game in the eighth and give the ball to Frankie."

Putz battled injuries for most of last season, spending time on the disabled list with a rib-cage injury and a hyperextended right elbow. He also tore a fingernail on the middle finger of his pitching hand, and -- partially by consequence -- converted merely 15 saves in 23 chances.

Still, he is just a season removed from earning the American League's Fireman of the Year Award in 2007, converting his first 27 save chances and 40 of 42 overall. Instead of closing with the Mets, Putz will step into the setup role once occupied by Heilman.

Minaya said he spoke with Putz earlier on Wednesday, and didn't foresee him having a problem assuming a role as a setup reliever.

"It's about winning championships," Minaya said. "To win a ring, you've got to sacrifice yourself. If you look at teams that win championships, they have closers and they have setup guys. But a lot of times the setup guys can be closers."

"The Mets organization is built to win right now and that's new for me," Putz said. "We will have a very strong ballclub. It will be fun."

...&&&&.........&&&&"In other words shut the hell up about what others believe. It only makes you look like a small minded snob. "&&&&Riffy

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: The METS pick a Putz
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 1:24pm
monkey_man ...........................................

Is Shae Stadium going to be imploded soon ?!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

monkey_man
Rocks Off Regular

Fac ut vivas.

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 1:42pm

...&&&&.........&&&&"In other words shut the hell up about what others believe. It only makes you look like a small minded snob. "&&&&Riffy

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 1:54pm
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2008 at 4:50pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)