Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
25 YEARS AGO (Read 1,128 times)
BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
25 YEARS AGO
Dec 9th, 2008 at 10:50pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
THIS MONTH 25 YEARS AGO UNDERCOVER WAS RELEASED...
A GOOD ALBUM ,IT BRINGS BACK LOTS OF MEMORIES BUT NOT AS GOOD AS ANYTHING THEY HAVE DONE SINCE,IMO

DISCUSS....

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Re: 25 YEARS AGO
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 11:01pm
I can't believe it's been 25 years. I remember bringing home the record when I was in grade school. My favorite tracks are

Undercover of the Night 
She Was Hot 
Wanna Hold You 
Too Much Blood 
All the Way Down   

Kiss my undercover ass

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

marko
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Finland
Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 1:15am
Kiss my undercover ass

I would add Pretty beat up,to your list!

https://www.facebook.com/marko.kuusela.3  
IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 4:57am
Everybody asks about what is the best since "Tatoo You".  Undercover is it by far.  IMHO the last great Stones effort.  Ditch Too Much Blood though.  FUck the horns.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 5:48am
God, i remember buying it the day it came out in Oz and loving it as it spun on the turntable. A great album. Tough album. Experimental too - but in a good way. I loved the production on this album. One of the best, along with Black and blue (pity B&B is awful though).

I still have some old, old cassette tapes i taped off the radio promoting this album. I listened to them earlier this year. Australia only got one i/v for the album's release. Think about that now?? How arrogant were they? it's just a fucking record. THey'd be doing interviews with every journo and their cat these days. Those were the times, i guess. Anyway, as had every Oz interviewer asked since 1974, Jagger was asked if the Stones would tour Oz and he was really not interested at all. He was kinda very dismissive of ever touring Oz again. Keith seemed keen to tour it, but was full of shit as always. It was nice that he still had his English accent though. Ronnie said something like "Leave it to Uncle Ronnie, i'll get 'em there!"

And he did!

12 fucking years later!!

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 7:32am
Came out early November as I recall, not December.

GREAT choice of first single. Even the UK music press - who were usually quick to rip the piss out of anyone over the age of 25 at that stage - seemed to like it, with one paper (Melody Maker, I think) listing "Sir Keith Richards" as one of their men of the year for his solo on Undercover of the Night.

The album's pretty patchy in that there's a few throwaway rockers on it, but the attitude and sheer nastiness drips from every groove on the record.

Some of the songs on it that easily get dismissed are amongst my favourites on the record. 'Tie You Up" and especially the hugely underrated gem that is 'Feel On Baby' (The 12' dub version of which is superb as well. THAT should have been on 'Rarities' instead of some of those other wanky and unwanted remixes!). Count me as being in the pro- Too Much Blood camp as well.

They didnt tour behind it, but some of the interviews and promos they did on its release were superb. One highlight being Mick's acerbic interview on the UK music show "The Tube" when he appeared with Julien Temple to defend the banned 'Undercover' video against accusations of glorifying violence by that jumped up PC little turd Muriel Gray - and promptly made her squirm and look like a deer in the headlights as he ripped her 'argument' to shreds.  Great television. Also check out the BBC radio interviews that Andy Peebles did with Mick, Keith and Bill. Hilarious stuff - especially Keith's incredible impersonation of 1930's English music hall comic Max Miller.
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2008 at 7:34am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Child of the Moon
Rocks Off Regular

Plug in, flush out, and
fire the fuckin' feed...

In the timbers of Fennario
Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 1:47pm
Undercover, as I see it, was the last great, "real" Stones album. It's the sound of the five main Stones - with help from a friend here and there, just like the old days - simply tearing shit up and having a good time. This isn't to say I don't love Dirty Work or Voodoo Lounge or any of those, but they all suffer from a feeling of "too many cooks," and the Stones' sound itself is diluted somewhat. Dirty Work is essentially a preview of the '89-and-beyond Stones, where entertainment and putting on a big spectacle is the name of the game. Undercover, as I see it, is the last extension of the '81-'82 Stones - stripped-down, balls-out rock 'n' roll.

They've never rocked this hard (at least on record) since.

"[What does God look like?] Probably a very insignificant little creature. Probably invisible. I don't think he needs a look. And I tell you , if he has one, he'd probably look like me."&&&&"[What fantasy do I still have to fulfill?] Fucking God! Ha, ha!"&&&&-Keith Richards&&&&...

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 2:11pm
It's stood the test of time a lot better than later efforts which were easily accessible at first but got boring rather quick. Even if it's patchy it has some great songs and was a genuine effort at a genuine album rather than a contrived attempt to make something that supposed to sound stereotypical Stones-y

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 2:58pm
Gazza wrote on Dec 10th, 2008 at 7:32am:
Came out early November as I recall, not December.

You are correct sir! Figures I was wrong when i got my info from Joey!

Too Much Blood rocks

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 3:56pm
" You are correct sir! Figures I was wrong when i got my info from Joey!

Too Much Blood rocks "

WHAT .. ?!  ... !!!! :

... !!!!!!!!!

I would like to baste you in milk for 48 hours, hog-tie you and let hungry baby lambs skeletonize your quivering, quaking carcass.

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 4:38pm
Joey wrote on Dec 10th, 2008 at 3:56pm:
" You are correct sir! Figures I was wrong when i got my info from Joey!

Too Much Blood rocks "

WHAT .. ?!  ... !!!! :

... !!!!!!!!!

I would like to baste you in milk for 48 hours, hog-tie you and let hungry baby lambs skeletonize your quivering, quaking carcass.

JOEY
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN;MUCH ABIDES!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 4:40pm
" TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN;MUCH ABIDES! "

** ? **

...... SIGH !!!! .....

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 5:15pm
Joey wrote on Dec 10th, 2008 at 4:40pm:
" TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN;MUCH ABIDES! "

** ? **

...... SIGH !!!! .....

EMK,DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION NYC 1980!

JOEY,HAS PETEY FINISHED HIS PEDOPHILE ENCYCLOPEDIA (WHO HE?)YET?

IP Logged

Navin
Rocks Off Regular

Long Time Jerk

Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 6:12pm
HI AGAIN DR. PERKS,

ALWAYS LIKED THIS ALBUM, BUT KNOWN TO ME ONLY FROM THE PAST 20 YEARS AS I HAPPENED TO COME TO THE STONES KINGDOM A LITTLE LATER, AROUND THE TIME AFTER THAT MASTERPIECE KNOWN AS DIRTY WORK WAS RELEASED.

ALSO INTERESTINGLY, FOUND MYSELF GOING BACKWARDS FROM THERE ON IN TERMS OF DISCOVERING STONES RECORDS, AS ONLY THE NEWER STONES RECORDS WERE AVAILABLE AROUND THEN: REWIND, SUCKING, ER, YOU KNOW THE REST.

Anyway, my favourites from the record are as follows:

Undercover of the Night
She Was Hot
Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love)
Wanna Hold You
Feel On Baby
Too Much Blood
Pretty Beat Up
Too Tough
All The Way Down
It Must Be Hell

Of special note, liked that slur on Jagger's vocals on "She Was Hot" known to annoy anyone I knew around then, the title track also pissed off my brother who once said something like "Maybe I just got to keep that record OUT OF SIGHT" and "Pretty Beat Up" was one of the coolest raunch with......forget it, this thing is going to be too much for me to type.

A Stones fan since '87, more of a fan of the 80's/90's Era&&&&"Far too pretty to die, well you should have been buried alive"

IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #14 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 7:32pm
Their most underrated album and the last real "stones" album, I love the whole era 1978-1983.

IP Logged

Glimmer Twin
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 9:52pm
I too think it was a prtty good album.  Only surpassed since by A Bigger bang.  Some strange songs on Undercover though.  Feel on and Too Much Blood.

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #16 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 10:29pm
A nitty, gritty, nasty, dirty masterpiece.  Good times!

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)