Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OJ To Be Sentenced Today (Read 1,154 times)
gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
OJ To Be Sentenced Today
Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:24am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
The gloves will be off in Vegas this morning for OJ....

It was a bad few minutes for O.J. Simpson late on a Friday evening in early October, when 12 angry jurors unanimously pronounced him guilty of kidnapping and robbery and a Las Vegas judge instantly ordered him handcuffed and taken to jail. And it's been a bad nine weeks for him since then, sitting alone in a small cell in the Clark County Jail awaiting the next step in the legal process.

But on Friday morning, it will be much worse.

With his legs shackled in irons and his hands chained to his sides, Simpson, in a dark blue prison jumpsuit, will stand before District Court Judge Jackie Glass as she pronounces his sentence.

Glass, a jurist with a flair for the melodramatic, is likely to begin with a stern lecture. And she is likely to end with a prison sentence that will keep the 61-year-old Simpson behind bars in Nevada for 18 years and possibly more.

Court probation officials have been investigating Simpson for weeks, preparing a recommendation that will be a critical factor in Judge Glass' decision. In most cases, probation officials are inclined to suggest sentences that are more lenient. But according to recently filed court documents, the probation officers in Simpson's case are suggesting a sentence of 18 years. Even worse, it will be 18 years of actual incarceration before there can be any consideration of parole.

This was a bad moment for O.J. Simpson. He'd just heard the guilty verdict. Friday morning likely holds another bad moment for him.
Even Simpson's lawyers acknowledge that the best possible outcome for Simpson would be six years in the penitentiary before any possibility of parole.
Within a day or two after he is sentenced, Simpson will be taken to High Desert, a Nevada prison facility about an hour's drive from Las Vegas, where he will be evaluated for assignment to a penitentiary. The evaluation includes physical, dental and psychological examinations, and will take three weeks.

Nevada prison officials refuse to discuss where Simpson might be assigned, but numerous reports indicate that he will be sent to a maximum security prison in Ely, Nev. And that could make his life even worse. It houses a concentration of incarcerated members of the Aryan Warriors, a white supremacist gang that reportedly manages its operation in part from within the prison walls.

Asked whether Simpson would receive any special treatment either because of his notoriety or the doubt surrounding his acquittal on charges of murdering his former wife and her friend (both white) in 1995, a prison system spokesman said, "When he comes to us, he is not a celebrity. He is an inmate."

Simpson's time in prison -- whether it's six years (unlikely) or 18 years (very likely) -- is the result of a bizarre incident on Sept. 13, 2007, when Simpson and six men, two of them brandishing guns, roared into a $35-per-night hotel room and demanded Simpson memorabilia that Simpson claims had been taken from him.

Despite repeated assertions from Simpson's legal team that the trophy footballs and photos belonged to Simpson, a jury concluded in only 13 hours of deliberations that Simpson was guilty of 12 charges of coercion, burglary, robbery and kidnapping.

During the trial, Simpson's lawyers attacked -- unsuccessfully -- the testimony of two of the gunmen in the robbery.
The jury was clearly angry with him. At one point in their deliberations, they asked Judge Glass whether one charge duplicated another charge. If he's guilty of kidnapping, they inquired, can he also be guilty of coercion, one of the elements of the kidnapping charge? When the judge refused to answer their question, the jurors quickly voted to convict Simpson on all 12 charges, even if they appeared to be duplicates.

Under Nevada law, the jurors' conclusion that Simpson was guilty of a kidnapping that involved guns leads directly to the stiff sentence. Both gunmen in the robbery, Walter Alexander and Michael McClinton, testified that Simpson told them to bring the guns and to brandish them. Although Simpson's lawyers attacked their veracity, suggesting they fabricated testimony to avoid jail sentences, the jurors clearly believed both Alexander and McClinton.
If a jury decides that a gun was used in a crime in Nevada, a separate sentence for the use of the gun is tacked on to the sentence for the original crime. In the patois of lawyers and judges, the gun sentence is "consecutive" to the original sentence. Simpson must serve the sentence on the kidnapping and robbery convictions, and then serve the sentence on the gun charge.

Simpson's only hope now is the appeal his lawyers have promised. Their principal argument will be an attack on the selection process that led to a jury with no African-Americans. It's a long shot, but it is all that remains for a football hero who once starred in movies and commercials and enjoyed a celebrity status beyond any athlete of his time. For now, however, his life will only get worse, and worse again.

Lester Munson, a Chicago lawyer and journalist who reports on investigative and legal issues in the sports industry, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

monkey_man
Rocks Off Regular

Fac ut vivas.

Re: OJ To Be Sentenced Today
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 12:54pm
Time to make a run for that Hertz car. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf46hDT5SQQ

...&&&&.........&&&&"In other words shut the hell up about what others believe. It only makes you look like a small minded snob. "&&&&Riffy

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 1:00pm
Rough Justice...At least 15 yrs for OJ So long sucker

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 1:15pm
Theres a flag on the play. Simpson 15yds I mean years for being an asshole.Now the real killer may never be found.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 4:04pm
OJ, Boy George.....these things go in 3's....who's next for the big house?

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 4:35pm
it sure sounds like he will do 9 years and then then a chance for perole, but from what i am hearing on the news it doesn't sound like that is going to happen.  i think he is a lifer.  his speech to the judge this afternoon mmmmmmm maybe a tad believeable , but not really.  he is probably where he belongs and the world is now that much safer.

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2008 at 4:37pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 5:00pm
Ade wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 4:04pm:

Plaxico Burress

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:44am
Ade wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 4:04pm:

Ronnie's chum Vinnie Jones, it seems!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/Vinnie-Jones-Arrested-Actor-Glasse...

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:56am
Quote:
his speech to the judge this afternoon mmmmmmm maybe a tad believeable , but not really.

He was only putting his acting talents to work in a last ditch effort to stay free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTF7ABnxX-g

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 11:44am
The sobbing sociopath put on quite a show.  Perhaps the Aryan Warriors at the Big House in Ely will be a more receptive audience.

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 12:15pm
See?
You all really didn't believe in the jury system at all. A Jury aquitted him. Put in that in your pipe and smoke it.

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 12:43pm
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 12:15pm:
See?
You all really didn't believe in the jury system at all. A Jury aquitted him. Put in that in your pipe and smoke it.

Speaking of pipe smoking - you must have something especially potent in yours today.

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 3:08pm
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 2:17pm:
Ginda wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 12:43pm:
See?

Speaking of pipe smoking - you must have something especially potent in yours today.

Really. I don't give a fuck if OJ killed hi wife or not. Or who goes to jail, or who gets even or anything like that. I just find it amusing that "americans" or whatever they call themselves nowadays can't accept the jurys verdict.

What in the HELL are you talking about, Motels?  He was found guilty and was sentenced.   I'm pleased you are amused, for a minute there you seemed a little peevish.

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 3:20pm
Ginda wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 3:08pm:
[quote author=MaineMotels link=1228487072/0#10 date=1228587337]See?

Really. I don't give a fuck if OJ killed hi wife or not. Or who goes to jail, or who gets even or anything like that. I just find it amusing that "americans" or whatever they call themselves nowadays can't accept the jurys verdict.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh8nUUlxM9s

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:05pm
See?

Why don't you give a fuck that Simpson killed his ex-wife?  Are you serious?  Most society's, including this one, find it morally wrong to slit someone's throat and stab them to death just because they have rejected you emotionally. 

Ginda's right, what the hell are you talking about?  What Americans couldn't accept the jury verdict?  Which verdict?  Why is Americans in quotes and not capitalized?  What do you mean they couldn't accept it?  Who are you referring to?  Please make some semblance of sense, when possible.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:10pm
Edith Grove wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:56am:
Quote:
his speech to the judge this afternoon mmmmmmm maybe a tad believeable , but not really.

He was only putting his acting talents to work in a last ditch effort to stay free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTF7ABnxX-g

funny, you're right.  what the hell was i thinking?

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:14pm
i think main motels cares a great deal.  i bet he just drank to much beer and posted and his his judgement got the best of him.  at least i hope so.

will ya 2
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:15pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:47pm
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:34pm:
Quote:
i think main motels cares a great deal.  i bet he just drank to much beer and posted and his his judgement got the best of him.  at least i hope so.

will ya 2

No, I read it right. The human race is just simply a moral and intellectual cesspool of corruption, stupidity and masturbation. Earth? Its nice too look at but I wouldn't to live here.

i can agree with the self stimulation part.  your on your own for the rest of it tho.

everybody say owwwwwwwwwwwww

:funny

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #18 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 5:02pm
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:34pm:
Quote:

will ya 2

No, I read it right. The human race is just simply a moral and intellectual cesspool of corruption, stupidity and masturbation. Earth? Its nice too look at but I wouldn't to live here.

Wow,this DSL stuff has really improved your outlook on mankind hasn't it MM. :hilarious

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #19 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 5:54pm
Management needs pull you off this thread and demote you back to obituaries, MM.  Sunny Von Bulow died today and I had to read about it first on Yahoo News.  You're slipping.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)