Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Jim Carroll and Keith (Read 1,912 times)
Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Jim Carroll and Keith
Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:16am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
What's up with Jim Carroll and Keith in today's header?  Does a recording exist of whatever is going down onstage in the photo? 

Was unaware these two had a relationship of any kind.  Pretty interesting.  Always liked Carroll's first LP.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Re: Jim Carroll and Keith
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:33am
Nasty Habits wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:16am:
What's up with Jim Carroll and Keith in today's header?  Does a recording exist of whatever is going down onstage in the photo?  

Was unaware these two had a relationship of any kind.  Pretty interesting.  Always liked Carroll's first LP.

I was given a copy of Catholic Boy by a friend who told me, Keith discovered this guy... I don't know if that is true, but I do know JC is cool as fuck, and his spoken word on Rancids Junkie Man is chilling, and was totally done on the fly, the guy is an incredible poet!

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:59am
Quote:
What's up with Jim Carroll and Keith in today's header?  Does a recording exist of whatever is going down onstage in the photo?  

Was unaware these two had a relationship of any kind.  Pretty interesting.  Always liked Carroll's first LP.

I was given a copy of Catholic Boy by a friend who told me, Keith discovered this guy... I don't know if that is true, but I do know JC is cool as fuck, and his spoken word on Rancids Junkie Man is chilling, and was totally done on the fly, the guy is an incredible poet!

Yeah, a little googlation is leading me to something like this conclusion, too.   I always just assumed Carroll was your basic New York tail end CBGB new wave label scoop up.  Would love to get a more coherent story.  Keith lead guitar on People Who Died would take that song into the stratosphere.

And Out Come the Wolves.  What an album.

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2008 at 9:02am by Nasty Habits »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 11:10am
Nasty Habits wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:59am:
Quote:

Yeah, a little googlation is leading me to something like this conclusion, too.   I always just assumed Carroll was your basic New York tail end CBGB new wave label scoop up.  Would love to get a more coherent story.  Keith lead guitar on People Who Died would take that song into the stratosphere.

It is right behind Exile and London Calling on my fave list...

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 12:47pm
Quote:
Nasty Habits wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:59am:
Quote:

It is right behind Exile and London Calling on my fave list...

Making it by math the greatest single LP in the Skunxiverse!

IP Logged

72Tele
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Western NY State
Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 1:49pm
I was lucky enough to see the Jim Carrol band sometime in the summer or fall of 1980. It was at Buffalo State college. After the show my buddy crashed his car about 100 yards from the venue. We were lucky enough to have a friend that went to college across town so we decided to hike over and spend the night and deal with the car in the morning. On our way we walked down the Elmwood strip and who do we see getting out of a van but the band. No Jim Carroll though, so we get talking and tell them our story and they were nice enough to give us a ride across town. first thing I asked when we got in the car was, what was it like to play with Keith?. The picture was in random notes in rolling stone so I knew even though it was pre-internet.  They had nothing but good things to say about Keith and you could tell they were thrilled to grace the same stage. 

Jim Carroll for those that dont know was a author first and foremost. He wrote the great book "Basketball Diaries" and I believe he won a Pulitzer prize for it. He may have been the youngest winner ever, he was only 14 when he wrote it.He went on to write books of poetry.

Catholic Boy is a great record that I still listen to today. Why he never really did any thing else in rock and roll wise is beyond me.

There is a great story in the Brockis written Keith bio about the day of this show. The two of them doing blow and taking methadone etc etc.

Was so happy to see that header. Thanks

He hit Dannemora with the weight of his world.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 4:50pm
thats a great story, 72Tele

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 5:53pm

As far as I recall, yes it does. Keith joined him onstage for one song - "people Who Died", I think.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

sammy davis jr.
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 6:50pm
Good god, Keith looks wasted for even Keith!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 6:57pm

The KR/JC connection is mentioned in Victor Bockris' Keith bio.

Keef was being, er, um, Keef...

http://tinyurl.com/65ydxu

IP Logged

macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 7:29pm
that is funny lss - my search showed up the previous page.

link

but i think you can scroll up and down and read the surrounding info...

btw - wasnt that hs known for spitting out screwed up good players at that time..? i think chris mullin went there, and that that was where he has said his bozzing issues began...

i would love to hear a recording of that gig, though...

and fwiw - i thought the bockris book was the best of the bunch about keef...

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2008 at 7:34pm by macdaddy »  

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 7:35pm
GREAT header pic. I remember this night. I was supposed to be there but from what I recall couldn't drag my ass uptown. I've seen Jim a bunch of times though. Great poet, and one of the few people who can actually read their own stuff in public and make it magic. A shame he's predominantly known for "People Who Died," because the rest of "Catholic Boy" is a first-class album. "I Want The Angel" and "City Drops Into The Night" are just tremendous and evoke very specific memories for me. There's not a clam on the record, and his other offerings - musical and written - are well worth exploring.

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:10pm
sammy davis jr. wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 6:50pm:

apparently Jim had a large phial of methadone which Keith  was happy to share with him

anybody seen the Basketball Diaries movie?? - while i'm no great fan of DiCaprio he was (imho) quite a good choice fo the role of Jim - more than a passing resemblance looks wise tho a little shorter - I thought the movie was good

i haven't read the book tho - has any one?

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:12pm
stonedinaustralia wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:10pm:

apparently Jim had a large phial of methadone which Keith  was happy to share with him

anybody seen the Basketball Diaries movie?? - while i'm no great fan of DiCaprio he was (imho) quite a good choice fo the role of Jim - more than a passing resemblance looks wise tho a little shorter - I thought the movie was good

Definitely worth reading, SIA, though I prefer "Forced Entries," a book of short stories.

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:45pm
GTRM is just me or have both your posts in this thread come up blank (quotes aside)

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:50pm
stonedinaustralia wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:45pm:
GTRM is just me or have both your posts in this thread come up blank (quotes aside)

Depends on which template you're using to view the forum.
Check your settings.

"Default" works for me...

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #16 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:52pm
GotToRollMe wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:12pm:

apparently Jim had a large phial of methadone which Keith  was happy to share with him

Definitely worth reading, SIA, though I prefer "Forced Entries," a book of short stories.

thanks

i can read 'em when i hit th e quote button - you are colouring your text GTRM and I , for one, can't read em

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #17 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:54pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:50pm:

Check your settings.

Thanks, Lefty, that's news to me too.

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #18 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:55pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:50pm:

Check your settings.

thenks Lefty

and Nasty I must say I am surprised you were unaware of Keith JC's connection - you know just about everything else worth knowing  Wink You rock!

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #19 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:56pm
stonedinaustralia wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:52pm:
GotToRollMe wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:12pm:

thanks

i can read 'em when i hit th e quote button - you are colouring your text GTRM and I , for one, can't read em

That's because I color it black, SIA. I use the default template - the other templates are too hard on my eyes.

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #20 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 9:15pm
ok GTRM - got that last one - funny i've only noticed this with your posts in the last day or two

couldn't have not being able to read YOUR posts  Wink

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #21 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 7:36am
Thanks for the link, Left Shoe - I feel like I'm back to speed.  Never bothered to read the Bockris bio, but if it's as tasty as those passages I may have to.

IP Logged

Fabio Hot Stuff
Rocks Off Regular

http://yayasout.blog
spot.it/

Roma Italy
Reply #22 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 10:45am
Such a great post!
Two pure myths for me! together! playing People Who Died! fantastic!
I just had read that Keith was completely DRUNK on stage and he played very bad... You rock!
And there was MICK at the club, and he was particularly helpful with JIM...
Jim Carrol was really a underground poet,  I was goig mad listened CATHOLIC BOY and DRY DREAMS, two masterpiece for me.
i did at the time a comic story too, drawing the song THREE SISTERS, one of my first comic work for  a rock-magazine...
great time: listening JIM Carroll, the Blasters, Thorogood, the Dr. Feelgood, The Inmates, smokin' joints and hunting girls... ahh, good times!

I have Basketball Diary in .avi, but it's in german!!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #23 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 10:54am
GotToRollMe wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 7:35pm:
GREAT header pic. I remember this night. I was supposed to be there but from what I recall couldn't drag my ass uptown. I've seen Jim a bunch of times though. Great poet, and one of the few people who can actually read their own stuff in public and make it magic. A shame he's predominantly known for "People Who Died," because the rest of "Catholic Boy" is a first-class album. "I Want The Angel" and "City Drops Into The Night" are just tremendous and evoke very specific memories for me. There's not a clam on the record, and his other offerings - musical and written - are well worth exploring.

This show would have been just a few hours after the Stones had their party/press launch for "Emotional Rescue" at Danceteria.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #24 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 11:06am
I am switching to default settings

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)