Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Emotional Rescue 1980 Rolling Stone review (Read 2,135 times)
Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Emotional Rescue 1980 Rolling Stone review
Nov 19th, 2008 at 12:06pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Like the thermographic photos of the Rolling Stones on the album cover, Emotional Rescue is a portfolio of burned-out cases and fire trails. High-contrast patterns of familiar outlines and blackened patches where the heat has burned and gone, these photographs – like pictures of corpses from some holocaust–are practically unrecognizable. As far as the music goes, familiar is an understatement. There's hardly a melody here you haven't heard from the Stones before. but then that's nothing new. Me. I'd rather be reminded of Between the Buttons by the venal, high-speed whine of "She's So Cold" than revisit "Miss You" outtakes by way of the interminable "Dance (Pt. 1)," but there are plenty of rooms available at the current memory motel.

Still, the Stones' sound is so identifiable that it's hard to remember how carefully they've developed it: the just-shrillenough blend of harmonica and sax, the similarly gruff treble in their forced high harmonies. And I should tell you about the changes. Mick Jagger sings in falsetto, someone who sounds like a bad Bob Dylan (my God. it's Keith Richards!) takes a snuffling lead vocal and special guest Max Romeo does a bird chant. But you know as well as I do that nobody talks about the musical innovations on a Stones or Dylan record unless the artists themselves have run out of things to say.

One thing's for sure: Emotional Rescue isn't the news-break that 1978's Some Girls was. The Rolling Stones haven't suddenly gone salsa (in spite of some south-of-the-border horns). Old hands haven't stepped out of early retirement to show cocky young punks exactly how best to offend, and radio censors won't have a case. In place of the ethnic and sexual slurs of the earlier LP's title tune (meant, I've always thought, as a sendup of liberal etiquette), Emotional Rescue extends an open invitation to foreigners: "She could be Roumanian/She could be Bulgarian/She could be Albanian.../Send her to me."

If the Stones have adopted a gentlemanly attitude these days, their prime concerns–sex and money – are the proletariat's, too. But when Mick Jagger is desperate enough to mail-order lovers wholesale, you can't help but wonder who's supposed to be rescuing whom. At least he has fun with the idea. "I will be your knight in shining armor," he intones at the end of the title track, sounding like a high-priced fantasy gigolo gone silly with the strain. After nearly eighteen years of well-paid nights and approximately twenty-seven albums of acted out desires, maybe these guys can't help getting lust and cash confused.

"Summer Romance" – a you've-heard-it-before, snotnosed schoolgirl version of "Maggie May"–starts out randy and ends up simply insolvent: "I need money so bad/ I can't be your mama/ I don't want to be your dad." In "Emotional Rescue," the distress that the waiting damsel feels is strictly financial ("... you can't get out/ You're just a poor girl in a rich man's house"). Even the blandly funky, mostly instrumental "Dance (Pt. 1)" pauses in mid-boogie for a couple of rich-man/poor-man jokes. Indeed, so much of this record is obsessed with having and not having that the rescue operation ostensibly taking place seems like it should be aimed at those whose emotions were exchanged for hard currency long ago.

Still, judging by Emotional Rescue's language, the Rolling Stones–Jagger and Richards at least–are feeling as vulnerable as zombies can. Never ones to be self-deprecating, they've translated that feeling into global terms. A jilted Jagger fools around (literally) with foreign affairs in "Send It to Me," proposing an energetic redevelopment program – a sort of self-help sexual capitalism: "She may work in a factory/Right next door to me." In "Indian Girl" (where the Stones meet mariachi), Central American political realities are seriously, if rather vaguely, considered: "Mister Gringo, my father he ain't no Ché Guevara/He's fighting the war in the streets of Masaya." And in the agonizingly slow blues. "Down in the Hole," the black markets, foreign zones and diplomatic immunities of modern rebellion merely become so much barbed wire in a private war of emotional imperialism: "You'll be...down in the gutter, begging for cigarettes, begging forgiveness ... / Down in the hole after digging the trenches, looking for comfort...."

You could legitimately writhe at the idea of a sleek and well-fed Mick Jagger preaching patience to a starving Nicaraguan child ("Life just goes on getting harder and harder" is the extent of his advice). But so much of Emotional Rescue seems vague and not quite real–life seen from very far away–that it's hard to take the LP seriously. Even when it comes to simple desire, the Stones act like tourists in a foreign country. "In the night, I was crying like a child," Jagger confesses in the middle of "Emotional Rescue," and his voice sounds as estranged and bewildered as the echoing horn.

People will tell you that even in the studio, the Stones have struck a nonalignment pact, entering and leaving separately on different days. Ships that pass in the night, it's said, seldom tootle in tune unless their radar is very, very good. Once, of course, the Rolling Stones' was the finest in the world. With each new album, you had the sense that they were looking over your shoulder, pointing an ironie finger at your most private fantasies. This was what made that devil pose so convincing, even to nonhallucinating brains. The Stones really did seem to have foreknowledge of our causes and concerns. And the my stique of their precognition made rock & roll seem–for a while–to be the intellectual and emotional collectivism that would rule the world.

That was a long time ago. But even two years back. Some Girls still had a good bit of impudent, anticipatory spark–or at least an experienced. I told-you-so air that was second best. With its fusion of tedneck rudeness and elegant, discofied languor (and its honking, conspicuous New York orientation). Some Girls placed itself near the front of the Old Guard. The stubborn self-respect of "Before They Make Me Run." the tough but good-humored sexual irony of "Beast of Burden" and the impeccable yet slightly melancholy arrogance of "Miss You" suggested a prime of life in which hearts and minds could survive against both power and possessions and continue to make rock & roll. These songs seemed to be saying that wit, anger and the ability to move fast would keep you alive. And Sugar Blue's harmonica gave you all the tenderness you needed.

Nowadays, Sugar Blue is buried in the mix, and there's a weird sort of powerlessness in even the funniest numbers. ("She's So Cold," "Send It to Me" and the title cut are Emotional Rescue's standouts.) Lovers leave or turn reluctant for no explicable reason. And for all the Stones' tongue-in-cheek insistence that ladies are commodities to be mail-ordered or tinkered with, it doesn't seem to make them any casier to control. ("I tried rewiring her," Mick Jagger sings in "She's So Cold." "I think her engine is permanently stalled.") Once I would have believed that such irony meant Jagger knew better, but now I think he's hoping his feelings of powerlessness will pass for cynicism.

Sometimes when I turn up the volume, looking for the connection I can't believe isn't there. I imagine that the Stones have actually died and this word-per feet, classic-sounding, spiritless record is a message from the grave. That would be the only irony that could save Emotional Rescue, the only vantage point that would explain the Rolling Stones' insulated view of wide horizons, their passionless disillusionment, their foreigner's confusion about sex, money and worldly possessions. Otherwise, unless the Stones are born again or something, I'm afraid that people won't be calling them survivors much longer.

ARIEL SWARTLEY

(Posted: Aug 21, 1980)

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: Emotional Rescue 1980 Rolling Stone review
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 12:09pm
Ariel Swartley..isnt he driving a school bus in Jersey these days?

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 2:58pm
This art was also in the Rolling Stone review of Undercover

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 3:10pm
" In "Indian Girl" (where the Stones meet mariachi), Central American political realities are seriously, if rather vaguely, considered: "Mister Gringo, my father he ain't no Ché Guevara/He's fighting the war in the streets of Masaya." And in the agonizingly slow blues. "Down in the Hole," the black markets, foreign zones and diplomatic immunities of modern rebellion merely become so much barbed wire in a private war of emotional imperialism: "You'll be...down in the gutter, begging for cigarettes, begging forgiveness ... / Down in the hole after digging the trenches, looking for comfort...."

You could legitimately writhe at the idea of a sleek and well-fed Mick Jagger preaching patience to a starving Nicaraguan child ("Life just goes on getting harder and harder" is the extent of his advice). "

Indian Girl is a true Masterpiece !!!!!!

In fact , the single itself has sold over thirty million copies in Ceylon ALONE !!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 3:25pm
Joey wrote on Nov 19th, 2008 at 3:10pm:
" In "Indian Girl" (where the Stones meet mariachi), Central American political realities are seriously, if rather vaguely, considered: "Mister Gringo, my father he ain't no Ché Guevara/He's fighting the war in the streets of Masaya." And in the agonizingly slow blues. "Down in the Hole," the black markets, foreign zones and diplomatic immunities of modern rebellion merely become so much barbed wire in a private war of emotional imperialism: "You'll be...down in the gutter, begging for cigarettes, begging forgiveness ... / Down in the hole after digging the trenches, looking for comfort...."

You could legitimately writhe at the idea of a sleek and well-fed Mick Jagger preaching patience to a starving Nicaraguan child ("Life just goes on getting harder and harder" is the extent of his advice). "

In fact , the single itself has sold over thirty million copies in Ceylon ALONE !!!!!

No thats that other song My Boyfriends Back by Shangrilas I think....It goes...Ceylon Ceylon..my boyfriends back!

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 4:17pm
ER did more before 1981 then most albums did in the entire decade of the 80's!!!

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Portland, OR
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 4:23pm
gimmekeef wrote on Nov 19th, 2008 at 3:25pm:
Joey wrote on Nov 19th, 2008 at 3:10pm:

No thats that other song My Boyfriends Back by Shangrilas I think....It goes...Ceylon Ceylon..my boyfriends back!

Nah, it's "Ceylon Sailor" by the Beach Boys.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 8:04pm
Pdog wrote on Nov 19th, 2008 at 4:17pm:
ER did more before 1981 then most albums did in the entire decade of the 80's!!!

hanging on the rim and still posing.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:32am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 9:31pm
i remember reading this when it came out...
stupid fuck, mick wasn't 'giving advice' to the little indian girl,
just surveying the the coming apocolypse....(did i spell that right?)
and he got it dead on!
the song foretold the sandinista regime and subsequent 'same as the old boss..' refrain...
you're right joey, indian girl is a masterpiece, missed by the many who still don't get it.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:10am
Back in the early ‘80s I remember being really freaked out by the Rolling Stones. I was mortified by their music videos, as the 11-year-old me found Mick Jagger completely disgusting. His bulging eyes and protruding lips, his sweaty form-fitting attire and his ridiculous posturing repelled me. And the drummer, Charlie Watts, looked as though he was falling asleep! To say I was instantly turned off by this band would have been an understatement.
Fast forward 25 years and you will find that things really haven’t changed much. But now at least I do know that they were on drugs when they made many of those early videos. It certainly explains the catatonic, slow-motion movements of the band members, making it seem as though they haven’t slept in weeks. I can’t help but wonder if rock musicians would even be able to function otherwise, let alone play effectively. Ah well, that’s the stuff legends are made of, I guess. As if anyone who subscribes to the adage “sex, drugs and rock & roll” and lives to tell about it deserves special recognition.

Out of the countless albums the Rolling Stones have released over their seemingly never-ending career, I only own three, and this is one. For a new wave aficionado, the title track is a definite must-have and includes the immortal line “I will be your knight in shining armor.”  It is one of the only Rolling Stones songs to feature, albeit sparingly, a synthesizer. That is always a plus in my book. I also happen to like when Mick sings in an upper register. Not a lot of male singers can pull it off, but it suits his campy style.

Other highlights include a surprising Chuck Berry cover, “She’s So Cold,” and “Dance, Pt. 1,” both of which joined “Emotional Rescue” on the Billboard club play chart. There are also a pair of tracks that employ decidedly gay lyrics: the jangling rocker “Let Me Go” and “Where The Boys Go.” At one point, Mick even makes a sly reference to hanging out in gay bars and moving to the west side of town.  If that doesn’t make one question Mick Jagger’s sexuality, nothing will…okay, maybe that “Dancing In The Street” duet with David Bowie from Live Aid was another not-so-subtle hint.

Never one to tip the scales too much in either direction, Mick balances things out with the understated sensational ballad “Indian Girl,” and fellow Glimmer Twin Keith Richards counters with a slow tune of his own, “All About You.” Elsewhere you’ll find touches of reggae (“Send It To Me”), dark and grungy blues (“Down In The Hole”) and even a hippie anthem of sorts (“Summer Romance”).

There’s quite a lot to be found on Emotional Rescue, from its wide palette of musical styles to its creepy thermo-imaging artwork. Frankly, there hasn’t been another Rolling Stones album out there that I have even considered buying. For whatever reason, Emotional Rescue was the only one that ever piqued my interest. For the passing fan, Forty Licks should suffice, though I do recommend this one as well.

BY: Michael R. Smith
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED: 01/19/2007
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:24am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:25am
I like "Emotional Rescue" pretty well, and I agree with the B- rating. But I've got to question the judgment/credibility of anyone who numbers it among their top three Rolling Stones albums. Its immediate predecessor, the stylistically similar Some Girls, is far superior, for instance—and even that isn't a lock for top-3 ranking, at least among people who actually like Rolling Stones records. (I daresay that group doesn't include many folks whose main attraction is the synthesizers.)

Other reasons for questioning this review's credibility: Only someone utterly unfamiliar with the Stones catalog would find it "surprising" that they'd cover Chuck Berry. The band recorded at least a half-dozen Berry numbers before Emotional Rescue; Keith Richards' worship of Berry is well documented, etc.). More to the point, "She's So Cold," the "Chuck Berry cover" noted in the review, isn't a Chuck Berry cover. It's a Jagger/Richards original.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:27am
I too, like this record quite a lot. I also agree with JimAkin and would myself struggle to place it in their top 5 albums. I find it difficult to rate certain bands, particually the ones that have been at it for over four decades. So with the Stones I've always had two lists, my personal favourites and what I think is their best. I could certainly put it in my top 5 favs, simply because it's one of the ones I most listen to.

I think it's one of their most even and consistant records, much of it due to Jagger's vocals and the band's slightly funk influenced direction. "She's So Cold", "Dance Pt.1", "Let Me Go" and the title track are the best here and the others fill the gaps nicely. Bill and Charlie sound great keeping the tight slow funk of the title track behind Jagger's awesome falsetto vocals, one of their finest moments ever. Emotional Rescue is easily one of the best since their purple patch. The things that album does before 9 am are epic.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:30am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:59am
Some Guy wrote on Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:10am:

Other highlights include a surprising Chuck Berry cover, “She’s So Cold,” and “Dance, Pt. 1,” both of which joined “Emotional Rescue” on the Billboard club play chart. BY: Michael R. Smith

WTF? This guy's not too bright, huh?

Riffy

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #13 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 8:09am
Riffhard wrote on Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:59am:
Some Guy wrote on Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:10am:

Other highlights include a surprising Chuck Berry cover, “She’s So Cold,” and “Dance, Pt. 1,” both of which joined “Emotional Rescue” on the Billboard club play chart. BY: Michael R. Smith

WTF? This guy's not too bright, huh?

Riffy

Riffy I think he has a seasons pass on the short bus.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 9:07am
Coasting on the success of Some Girls, the Stones offered more of the same on Emotional Rescue. Comprised of leftovers from the previous album's sessions and hastily written new numbers, Emotional Rescue may consist mainly of filler, but it's expertly written and performed filler. The Stones toss off throwaways like the reggae-fueled, mail-order bride anthem "Send It... More to Me" or rockers like "Summer Romance" and "Where the Boys Go" with an authority that makes the record a guilty pleasure, even if it's clear that only two songs -- the icy but sexy disco-rock of "Emotional Rescue" and the revamped Chuck Berry rocker "She's So Cold" -- come close to being classic Stones. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide

IP Logged

Jumacfly
Rocks Off Regular

He Men Emotional Rescue
Lovers Society Chairman

Montpellier
Reply #15 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 9:10am
God bless Some guy for this thread!!!
ER does it better than.....Er does it better and that s all!  you made a grown man cry

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #16 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 9:49am
ER is a superb album

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #17 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 10:08am
Jumacfly wrote on Nov 20th, 2008 at 9:10am:
God bless Some guy for this thread!!!
ER does it better than.....Er does it better and that s all!  you made a grown man cry

Some people hear The 'Scue, we listen to the 'Scue!

IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #18 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 10:16am
lotsajizz wrote on Nov 20th, 2008 at 9:49am:
ER is a superb album

as my first Stones' album -- I concur!

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #19 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 1:58pm
No one will ever mistake this for a great Stones album, but I bet it sounds more interesting than It's Only Rock 'n Roll should we take the time to compare and contrast in our respective retirement communities. The mid-'60s charm of such tossed-off tropes as "Where the Boys Go" and "She's So Cold" goes with music that's far more allusive and irregular and knowing: for better and worse its drive isn't so monolithic, and the bass comes front and center like Bill was James Jamerson. Looser than you'll ever be.  B+

Robert the Christ Goo

IP Logged

Glimmer Twin
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 8:04pm
It's a good album, not great.  I love Emotional Rescue (single) and Let Me Go.  She's So Cold is good too.  The rest is so-so.

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #21 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 4:02am
I was really disappointed when ER came out, and still feel the same way. There are no real, 100% killer songs. Some potentially instant classics, like She's so cold just go no where. And what a lame solo!

I dont play it very much. In fact, havent played it this decade i think.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

axl79
Rocks Off Regular

Stockholm, Sweden
Reply #22 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 1:10pm
ER album is great! It has a lot of really good tunes. Only missing one killer song, I suppose it's should have been "Emotional rescue" itself.

Stoned in Sweden

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #23 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 8:38pm
corgi37 wrote on Nov 21st, 2008 at 4:02am:
I was really disappointed when ER came out, and still feel the same way. There are no real, 100% killer songs. Some potentially instant classics, like She's so cold just go no where. And what a lame solo!

I dont play it very much. In fact, havent played it this decade i think.

The He Man Emotional Rescue Lovers Appreciation Society frowns upon you.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #24 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 8:20am
axl79 wrote on Nov 21st, 2008 at 1:10pm:
ER album is great! It has a lot of really good tunes. Only missing one killer song, I suppose it's should have been "Emotional rescue" itself.  

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #25 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 8:54am
SG, the naysayers will be begging forgiveness

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)