Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rolling Stones Rare Memorabilia  Destroyed in Fire (Read 577 times)
Stewed n Keefed
Rocks Off Regular

Please don't judge me
too harshly

Kent,England.
Rolling Stones Rare Memorabilia  Destroyed in Fire
Nov 4th, 2008 at 1:35pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I work for Iron Mountain U.K,and this e-mail was going round today.The fire was in 2006 but this is the first time I have heard that the Stone's memorabilia was destroyed.

Excerpt From The Sunday People News Paper

26 October 2008

DAVID BOWIE AND ELTON JOHN LOSE £1M ROCK MEMORIES IN BLAZE

Bowie and Elton lose £1m rock memories in blaze

By Alice Walker & Katie Hind

Rock legends including The Rolling Stones and David Bowie have been left devastated after £1 million of rare memorabilia was destroyed in a fire.

Tour pictures and promotional material marking different eras in The Stones' 42-year career were lost in the warehouse blaze.

And Ashes To Ashes singer Bowie, 61, is said to be "distraught" after legal documents signed at the start of his career were lost forever.

Items belonging to Sir Elton John, Duran Duran and The Sex Pistols were also being kept at the depot in Bow, east London by storage experts Iron Mountain.

Managers for The Stones and Bowie are now seeking compensation. A music industry source revealed: "Everyone is very upset.

The material is irreplaceable. Some of it is years old and worth thousands of pounds.

"Lawyers have been instructed to deal with it. People just want some compensation for their loss. They refuse to take it lightly.

"There is no way that this will be let go, there has not even been a proper explanation."

It is the third blaze to hit Iron Mountain after warehouses in Ottawa and New Jersey burned to the ground in 2006 and 1996.

The firm would not comment on the London fire but said: "The security of our customers' valuables is paramount."

BBC NEWS 2006

Paper warehouse destroyed in fire  

The blaze was visible across London
A huge fire has ripped through a six-storey paper storage warehouse in east London.
Flames shot 20 to 30ft into the air and smoke from the blaze could be seen across the city.

About 100 firefighters were called to the site in Twelvetrees Crescent in Bow on Wednesday night but say it needs to burn itself out.

Iron Mountain, the firm that owns the data storage unit, said it held "archived, inactive business records".

It is thought the building will be alight for between two and three days.

Canadian warehouse

A spokesman for Iron Mountain, which stores and manages records for firms around the world, said: "Mostly it is old archives that were not required currently, business records.

"In most cases we wouldn't even know because most people they use paper documents in boxes - commercial business records."

He added: "We are just interested as anybody else to know what could have caused it. It was a fair-sized warehouse but it was full."

Four delivery lorries also caught fire, but no-one is thought to have been injured.

On Thursday, an Iron Mountain warehouse in Ottawa, Canada, was also hit by fire.

The fire at a warehouse in the Cyrville industrial area, believed to contain thousands of boxes of inactive records, was designated as accidental, the Ottawa Sun newspaper reported.

Building site

The warehouse fire in Bow was the second major fire in London on Wednesday.

Another 100 firefighters were called to a building site in Colindale, north-west London, where two buildings were ablaze.

Hundreds of people were moved out of the area - including students at Middlesex University, where the fire spread to one of the halls of residence.

At one stage firefighters had to use water from a swimming pool at Hendon Police Training College to tackle the fire.

London Fire Brigade said it was "extraordinarily rare" to get two fires requiring 100 firefighters each, within the space of 24 hours.

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2008 at 1:37pm by Stewed n Keefed »  

... Posts: 4601 | Registered: Dec 2002 |

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: Rolling Stones Rare Memorabilia  Destroyed in
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 2:07pm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 10:01pm
Connection to IM's government work?  Three fires?

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

GhostofBrianJones
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones Rules You
Bastards

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 11:03pm
That is a real shame, losing all that stuff.  Thanks for the article.

I wonder if the fire was arson?
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2008 at 11:05pm by GhostofBrianJones »  

Resentment is like taking poison and expecting someone&&else to die!&&&&If you are talking about me behind my back then&&you are in a position to kiss my ass!&&&&Just because you're sitting in a henhouse doesn't make you a&&chicken!&&&&Sweet Lil' Innocent Brian!
WWW GhostofBrianJones GhostofBrianJones none none none  
IP Logged

Stewed n Keefed
Rocks Off Regular

Please don't judge me
too harshly

Kent,England.
Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 11:57am
GhostofBrianJones wrote on Nov 4th, 2008 at 11:03pm:
That is a real shame, losing all that stuff.  Thanks for the article.

I wonder if the fire was arson?

Yes it was arson but they don't no who did it.

... Posts: 4601 | Registered: Dec 2002 |

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)