Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Poll Poll
Question: Should Pat Boone be part of rock hall of fame?

Yes    
  4 (33.3%)
No    
  6 (50.0%)
Don't care    
  2 (16.7%)

Total votes: 12
« Created by: Ten Thousand Motels on: Oct 22nd, 2008 at 11:24am »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should Pat Boone be part of rock hall of fame? (Read 1,349 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Should Pat Boone be part of rock hall of fame?
Oct 22nd, 2008 at 11:24am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Should Pat Boone be part of rock hall of fame?
Tennesean.com
Oct 21,2008

When Pat Boone launched his singing career, rock 'n' roll was a new term.

"I've called myself one of the midwives at the birth of rock 'n' roll," says Pat, who will sign copies of his Christmas album and autobiography today from 2 to 4 p.m. at Ernest Tubb Record Shop, 417 Broadway.

He has sold 45 million records, has 38 Top 40 hits and holds the Billboard record for spending 220 consecutive weeks on the charts with more than one song. Elvis Presley opened for him. Yet he's not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, something his friend Mike Curb, the record executive, is trying to correct.

"The incredible thing about Pat's career is, next to Elvis Presley, he had the best statistics of any rock 'n' roll artist," Mike says. "Pat doesn't get the credit he deserves. He deserves to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and I'm talking to members of the board of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, asking them why he's not in."

Pat, 74, who notes that he's had more hits than some of the inductees, says he doesn't care that he hasn't been inducted. "It has become diluted and unclear as to who is and who was rock 'n' roll.

"Brenda Lee was never rock 'n' roll," he says. "I love her — she was introduced on my father-in-law Red Foley's show — but she was country and maybe pop country, but never rock 'n' roll. Gene Pitney and Billy Joel were never rock 'n' roll."

Some inductees are personal favorites of Jann Wenner, the Rolling Stone magazine founder who co-founded the Rock and Roll Hall, he says. "He put me on the cover of Rolling Stone once, but he doesn't consider me authentically rock 'n' roll.

"To me, it's lost all meaning. If Johnny Cash was ever rock 'n' roll, somebody will have to prove that to me and play me a rock 'n' roll record he ever made. He was absolutely pure, down-home country and crossed over into pop. He lived a rough lifestyle, so maybe that qualified him for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."

Pat says an induction wouldn't mean very much to him. "I'm in the Gospel Music Hall of Fame, and that makes a great deal of difference to me."

Joel Peresman, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame foundation's president, says Jann isn't on the nominating committee, and "has no input into who gets nominated or inducted."

The committee considers influence more than statistics, Joel says.

"It's never been a question of hits or who sells the most records. They are really looking at people who have been influential in rock 'n' roll, and rock 'n' roll has a very broad definition," Joel says.

"Rock 'n' roll has a really wide net and a lot of the artists maybe aren't in the center of it, but might be in the fringes of it." Also, these "fringe" artists may have inspired other artists, who in turn took the sound deeper into rock music, he says.

He says Pat's name has surfaced in nomination discussions, but in the last few years, only a small number have been nominated annually. "People have great respect for Pat and what he has done in his career," he says. "It's
just, for whatever reason, it hasn't made it to this level of things."

MTSU recording industry professor Paul Fischer says Pat is probably not high on an induction list because he didn't originate music, but interpreted it. "He didn't write the songs," he says. "He performed the songs he was asked to perform and performed them in a way he was asked to perform them.

"You could say the same things about Elvis, but Elvis' interpretations were more innovative and cutting-edge. His material was more challenging, whereas Pat Boone's songs were more likely novelty songs more often and they were more clearly tailored for mainstream tastes.

"I would say that he deserves respect in many of the same ways that Bing Crosby deserves respect," Paul says. "He was an incredibly successful song stylist; he sold a lot of records and had a lot of hits. But you are never going to see Bing Crosby in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"I do have respect for Pat Boone in that he managed to sustain a very successful recording career through multiple decades. But I don't see him as a major innovator or a contributor to rock music. He was mainly a popularizer."

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: Should Pat Boone be part of rock hall of fame?
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 11:27am
Yes..put him in and then permanently close this joke of a Hall..........

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 11:59am
Might as well....

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 7:54pm
The earring's gotta be a clip on!

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 3:55am
Pat Boone is a ultra right wing conservative bible bashing God loving dog sexing fuck wit who destroyed the classics and should be disposed of in the cruellest way possible.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 8:29am
corgi37 wrote on Oct 23rd, 2008 at 3:55am:
Pat Boone is a ultra right wing conservative bible bashing God loving dog sexing fuck wit who destroyed the classics and should be disposed of in the cruellest way possible.

Just don't buy his records. Pleeeeze....

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 11:11am
Not if Link Wray isn't.

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Portland, OR
Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 1:49pm
Absolutely . . . . in the waterboarding exhibit!

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 12:24pm
Nasty Habits wrote on Oct 23rd, 2008 at 11:11am:
Not if Link Wray isn't.

Damn right!

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 3:08pm
Heres Pat Boone's tour bus...............

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #10 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 12:37pm
Nasty Habits wrote on Oct 23rd, 2008 at 11:11am:
Not if Link Wray isn't.

Big time agree. No Link Wray no Pat, also No Iggy  no Pat really?
But who cares, it's a museum, it does not matter, he did  make Little Richard and Fats a liittle Money, He's the Frank Burns of RNR!
Everything and everyone needs something like Pat to stand for or against. Pat's OK, I don't listen never have but what the Hell, put him in It's a joke, and he would be perfect to define the Joke.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2008 at 12:42pm by Kilroy »  

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)