Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"New York Dolls" by Bob Gruen (Read 4,429 times)
GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

"New York Dolls" by Bob Gruen
Oct 21st, 2008 at 12:29am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
"New York Dolls, 1971-77"
by Bob Gruen

A Bob Gruen photoshoot with New York Dolls in 1974. The photographer shot the band from 1972 until they split in 1975 - his photos feature in his new book, 'New York Dolls.'  He explains: "The Dolls were very easy to work with. They liked playing dress-up and they liked having their picture taken. They may have seemed threatening to some, but they were fun to be with in person."

A shot of New York Dolls on the set of the shoot for 'Lipstick Killers: The Mercer Street Sessions 1972'. The album was released in 1981 and contains tracks from both the band's albums ('New York Dolls' (1973) and 'Too Much, Too Soon' (1974)), including 'Personality Crisis' - which features on 'Guitar Hero: Aerosmith' - as well as a cover of Bo Diddley's 'Pills'.

A rather miserable looking photo of New York Dolls in Boston in 1974. Frontman David Johansen said: "I have a good sense of humour about rock and roll. You have to. It's really a stupid thing. If you get mad over [rock 'n' roll music], I'd hate to see what happens if they burn your toast or something."

New York Dolls posing in photographer Bob Gruen's studio in West Village in 1974. The year before, the Dolls managed to top both the best and worst bands in the world list in Creem magazine.

This image is one of a selection of photos taken in the bathroom at Santa Monica Civic Center in Los Angeles for Bob Gruen's new book, 'New York Dolls'. The band had just finished recording their second album, 'Too Much, Too Soon', in 1974 and were on a North American tour. The album, and tour, title came from the autobiography of the same name by actress Diana Barrymore, released in 1957.

New York Dolls on the set of Ralph Bakshi's film 'Hey Good Lookin''. The band featured in the part-animated/part-live movie (similar to 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?'), yet Warner Bros. didn't think it worked so cut all the live action shots and made it purely a cartoon. This is just one of the photos in Bob Gruen's 'New York Dolls' book.

New York Dolls in photographer Bob Gruen's studio. Gruen's preface, in his new book 'New York Dolls', explains: "The Dolls were having fun, and it was contagious. The thing about the Dolls was that they made it look easy. They were living a decadent life, and I joined right in."

New York Dolls surrounded by journalists and fans in the dressing room at the Whisky a Go-Go in LA. Despite The New York Dolls' relatively short career, first time around, they are said to have been the influence for many bands including Kiss, Blondie, The Clash, The Smiths and the Ramones. Johnny Ramone said: "We'd go and see the New York Dolls every week. We'd get all dressed up and go and see them all the time. I thought I was a star already - and I didn't even play guitar."

New York Dolls' frontman David Johansen in Hollywood in 1973. The band had a lot of popular, famous fans. Johansen said: "David Bowie used to come see us play at the Mercer Arts Center. I had never heard of him before. He used to come around in these quilted drags, and he asked me, 'Who does your hair?' I said, 'Johnny Thunders' (NY Dolls guitarist), which was the truth."

New York Dolls split up in 1975, but reunited in 2004. The reunion was set up by life-long fan, ex-Smiths frontman Morrissey, who headed up the Dolls' fan club in the UK during the 1970s. Morrissey has also wrote the afterword for photographer Bob Gruen's new book 'New York Dolls.'

New York Dolls' guitarist Sylvain Sylvain poolside at the Tropicana Motel in New Jersey. The band split in 1975 but reunited in 2004. Sylvain said at the time of the reunion: "[it took so long to reform because] we were all successful individually. Everybody had a job. That's part of the reason we stayed apart all those years, but when we broke up, I felt like the Dolls had left me. I never left the Dolls."

New York Dolls' drummer Jerry Nolan on 'The Real Don Steele Show' in 1973. Nolan said at the time of this show: "These were the days of the ten-minute drum solo, the 20-minute guitar solo. A song might take up a whole side of an album. It was really boring."

New York Dolls' guitarist Johnny Thunders. The New York Dolls played a huge influence on the Sex Pistols, especially guitarist Steve Jones, who later admitted for 'The Filth And The Fury' documentary: "Looking back at my movement on stage it was embarrassing how much I copied Johnny Thunders' style." More rare pictures of the Dolls can be seen in Bob Gruen's new book, 'New York Dolls'.

New York Dolls' bassist Arthur Kane. Kane, along with frontman David Johansen and guitarist Sylvain Slylvain reunited in 2004. The reunion took place at the Meltdown Festival in London, which ran from June 11-27. Only one month later on July 13, Kane died unexpectedly from leukaemia.

The New York Dolls doing a photo shoot for photographer Bob Gruen in 1973. The images come from Gruen's new book, 'New York Dolls'. The rockers only released two albums before they split in 1975 – the first reached #116 on the Billboard chart and the other only reached #167.

New York Dolls' frontman David Johansen performing for the Halloween Ball at the Waldorf-Astoria in NYC in 1973. Johansen's sexuality was often questioned because of the band's image. He said: "We were not homosexuals or bi or anything. But we were really confrontational." Blondie's Debbie Harry also added: "David Johansen and I didn't date. Not really. We were just intimate strangers."

David Johansen and Johnny Thunders from New York Dolls on Hollywood Boulevard in 1973 in their trademark heels. Johansen said: "[We] were the first ones with really big-shoes because (drummer) Billy Murcia's mother would go to England all the time. We'd put our feet on the ground and draw an outline and give them to Billy's mom." This picture comes from Bob Gruen's book entitled 'New York Dolls'.

New York Dolls playing at 'Max's Kansas City' in 1974. There have been a total of 13 different members of the New York Dolls over the years. The original line-up consisted of frontman David Johansen, guitarists Johnny Thunders and Rick Rivets (who was replaced by Sylvain Sylvain after a few months), bass guitarist Arthur 'Killer' Kane and drummer Billy Murcia. This original line-up's first performance was on Christmas Eve, 1971 at homeless shelter, the Endicott Hotel, in New York.

New York Dolls filming 'Lipstick Killers' on 29th Street, NY in 1974. The band broke up less than a year after these shots were taken, in August 1975. Frontman David Johansen claimed: "It was drugs that made us break up in the first place. Two people can get high, and one will say, 'That was interesting, maybe I'll try it again New Year's Eve.' But the other will say, 'I found God.' Well, some people in the band had addictions, and when you're addicted, your passion for music goes on the back burner. Also, you can't really go anywhere, and Syl and I wanted to go out and play."

All photographs by Bob Gruen
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2008 at 12:40am by GotToRollMe »  

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Re: "New York Dolls" by Bob Gruen
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 5:12am
AWESOME photos, GTRM!!!
Brings back some great memories!!!!!

LJ.

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 9:29am
Yeah, great photos, I remember back when the 2 albums came out, a friend of mine & myself used to sit around drinking beer, talking, smoking while The N.Y.Dolls (along with Lou Reed, Bowie, etc) used to play in the background, one song, "Stranded in The Jungle" we could never figure out what that creature was that made that high shrieking jungle noise, was it a Monkey or a bird?????? ha, it seems so funny now, but I remember The Dolls very well, too bad they never lasted, first time I seen them in Rollin' Stone, there was a pic. of Lead Singer & Guitarist (J. Thunder) & right away I knew they were copying Jagger & Richards.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 4:11pm
They didn't copy The Stones, they stole from The Stones... Aerosmith copied, and great artists steal, good artists copy!
Great pics... I didn't get into The Dolls until 1984 after my punk and hardcore listening began to expand more... It was Hanoi Rocks that exposed me to The Dolls, I think it was a Michael Monroe interview I read...

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 5:45pm
They stole from The Stones big time, I remember they played in '74 in Toronto, the same night that Bowie opened with the Diamond Dogs tour at the the O'Keefe Center, their opening act was a was a a band I absoluete hate KISS, I hate this band because they don't have nothing to do with Rock N Roll, 10 years olds would show up with their fucking KISS Dolls, it was disgusting, now that fucking ass hole has got a t.V./ program, how disgusting!!! KIss Is absoluete the worst band in rock n roll history, Freddy & nThe Dreamers is better then they are, & that is the lowest statement in Rock n roll.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 6:09pm
I heard David Johanson a couple years ago and his voice was totally shot, horser than Dylan on a bad day. His vocals were so harsh it almost hurt to listen to him! His body looked good, and he moved around like a stud, his face was aged but he still looks good. Check him out in this pic from 2005, he played NYC
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2008 at 6:20pm by Bitch »  

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 6:22pm
it's intersting to note johnny's role  as the link between keith and steve jones -

- poor johnny -  he died a dreadful death - but he rocked

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=tuwNkphrUjg

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 6:57pm
Am I the only person who has always seen a strong resemblance between David Johansen and Mick Jagger??? They could be blood relatives...

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 7:46pm
dude looks like a lady........

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)