Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Ask any question thread (Read 2,394 times)
Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Ask any question thread
Oct 14th, 2008 at 8:51pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Stones content only, how bout we have a thread to ask any question regarding the Stones, thats not any obvious FAQ.  Such as, who played bass on some song, is Rocks Off in open G, etc.  I figure with the experts here, no question will go unanswered.  Why did I start this thread?  I want to know if Ron played bass on Highwire, or if Bill was still in the band for it.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Ask any question thread
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 7:10am
Bill played on the "High Wire" and "Sex Drive" sessions in London in January 1991. His last session with the band, although it wasnt officially announced that he had left until two years later.

However, he refused to fly to New York to shoot the "High Wire" video in March 1991, which is probably why some people presume he isn't on the record.

He is, however, in the 'Sex Drive' video, shot a few weeks later in London. No way was Bill going to miss out on a video shoot with all those bare tits.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 7:15am
In the meantime a trivia: After those SW session in January 1991 has Bill recorded or played with Rolling Stones members?

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:11am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Oct 15th, 2008 at 7:15am:
In the meantime a trivia: After those SW session in January 1991 has Bill recorded or played with Rolling Stones members?

You got me on that one. Taylor maybe???? Charlie Watts????

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:34am
" Bill played on the "High Wire" and "Sex Drive" sessions in London in January 1991. His last session with the band, although it wasnt officially announced that he had left until two years later. "

Gazza .............................

Was Bill  '  asked  '  to leave the band or did he just quit on his own ?

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:39am
Joey wrote on Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:34am:
" Bill played on the "High Wire" and "Sex Drive" sessions in London in January 1991. His last session with the band, although it wasnt officially announced that he had left until two years later. "

Was Bill  '  asked  '  to leave the band or did he just quit on his own ?

I don't think we'll ever really know the answer to that. I heard quite an extensive radio interview with Bill just before he left. He didn't sound like he wanted to quit to me. In fact quite the opposite. 

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:53am
Gazza wrote on Oct 15th, 2008 at 7:10am:
Bill played on the "High Wire" and "Sex Drive" sessions in London in January 1991. His last session with the band, although it wasnt officially announced that he had left until two years later.

However, he refused to fly to New York to shoot the "High Wire" video in March 1991, which is probably why some people presume he isn't on the record.

He is, however, in the 'Sex Drive' video, shot a few weeks later in London. No way was Bill going to miss out on a video shoot with all those bare tits.

LOL, I guess it wasn't about the music that time for Bill.

I don't think he's played on any records with Stones since 1991, but perhaps he's played a show.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 7:25pm
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:39am:
Joey wrote on Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:34am:

Was Bill  '  asked  '  to leave the band or did he just quit on his own ?

I don't think we'll ever really know the answer to that. I heard quite an extensive radio interview with Bill just before he left. He didn't sound like he wanted to quit to me. In fact quite the opposite.  

Absolutely the opposite. He had made up his mind by 1990 he was leaving and the band tried unsuccessfully to talk him out of it for the next two years or more. Mick confirmed in an MTV interview in December 1992 at Keith's solo London concert that Bill had made up his mind to quit, and it was officially announced in the first few days of 1993.

I've an interview with Charlie from mid 1991 or so where, when asked what the situation was re: Bill's future he replied something like "I think it's something along the lines of - he wants to leave, but we  won't let him! It's like the Mafia - you can't leave!". I think he also said that Bill was avoiding contact with Keith, because he knew Keith would try and "bully" him into changing his mind.

Keith was pretty resentful about it at first, but in the end he respected his decision and did acknowledge that Bill did them a favour by quitting when he did because it would be dragging the band down if one of the band members kept going when his heart was no longer in it.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 8:19pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Oct 15th, 2008 at 7:15am:

Mick Taylor on one of the Rhythm Kings CDs.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 8:30pm
Yes and not, Mick Taylor was not a Rolling Stones member then, Bill recorded with one of the Rolling Stones: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and/or Ronnie
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2008 at 8:36pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #10 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 8:50pm
I'm betting Charlie - it seems like I read that somewhere among the endless middens of trivia.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #11 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 8:58pm
Yes, It's Charlie now the next question is more about this studio session... I'm gonna give a clue; they not just joined and recorded in the studio, one of the songs was released and it was composed by Charlie, Bill and some other, so it is credited to Watts-Wyman-etc 

Other clue... a very good recording by the way  Better seen on weed! smoking more weed is good for your health

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #12 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:08pm
I got one for ya, Voo.  Who plays that 'Alpine'-style acoustic guitar bridge in "Sitting on a Fence"?  Brian?  A studio guest?

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #13 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:26pm
Brian, the line-up is

Mick Jagger Lead Vocals
Keith guitar Backing vocals
Brian guitar harpsichord tambourine
Bill Bass
Charlie cymbals

Source Nico's books and website

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #14 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:40pm
They shouldn't have got rid of that Brian guy...

Am I thinking Watts-Wyman-Korner for your question?  If so, I can't find the song/album.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #15 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:43pm
I have one special reason why I'm going to answer this on Friday as I'm gonna be airing and webairing that track on the radio stations, I will be a guest this Friday.

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #16 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:45pm
Will the radio station have a telephone call in?
ROCKS OFF RULES YOU BASTARDS!!!

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #17 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:45pm
Where do we hear the radio show?  I haven't been following.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #18 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:53pm
Nellcote wrote on Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:45pm:

Sure I will put a picture of these sessions with Bill and Charlie and the "footer of the header" will have the phone number, we need to make it happen again LOL

Shit! Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #19 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:55pm
andrews27 wrote on Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:45pm:
Where do we hear the radio show?  I haven't been following.

The link to the webradio signal will be on the header too, the only problem is that this will be in Spanish with some parts in English and Nelly saying "Rocks Off rules you bastards"

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #20 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:57pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:53pm:
Nellcote wrote on Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:45pm:

Sure I will put a picture of these sessions with Bill and Charlie and the "footer of the header" will have the phone number, we need to make it happen again LOL

Shit! Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

If I'm not with clients, I will attempt to call.
I cannot promise I will be able to behave.
You have been warned..... smoking more weed is good for your health

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #21 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 10:06pm
If you can't rock me, somebody will... I hope LOL

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #22 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 9:56am
The header is the answer for the trivia and today I will broadcast the sessions on line. More info in another thread

That was the first time Bill recorded with a member of the Stones since the SW sessions in January 1991

That was also the first time Charlie and Bill are credited as authors of a song since Nanky Phelge

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #23 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 10:09am
" Absolutely the opposite. He had made up his mind by 1990 he was leaving and the band tried unsuccessfully to talk him out of it for the next two years or more. Mick confirmed in an MTV interview in December 1992 at Keith's solo London concert that Bill had made up his mind to quit, and it was officially announced in the first few days of 1993.

I've an interview with Charlie from mid 1991 or so where, when asked what the situation was re: Bill's future he replied something like "I think it's something along the lines of - he wants to leave, but we  won't let him! It's like the Mafia - you can't leave!". I think he also said that Bill was avoiding contact with Keith, because he knew Keith would try and "bully" him into changing his mind.

Keith was pretty resentful about it at first, but in the end he respected his decision and did acknowledge that Bill did them a favour by quitting when he did because it would be dragging the band down if one of the band members kept going when his heart was no longer in it "

Thanks Gazza  . I had no idea .

J. 'kins !

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #24 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 1:44pm
Joey wrote on Oct 17th, 2008 at 10:09am:
" Absolutely the opposite. He had made up his mind by 1990 he was leaving and the band tried unsuccessfully to talk him out of it for the next two years or more. Mick confirmed in an MTV interview in December 1992 at Keith's solo London concert that Bill had made up his mind to quit, and it was officially announced in the first few days of 1993.

I've an interview with Charlie from mid 1991 or so where, when asked what the situation was re: Bill's future he replied something like "I think it's something along the lines of - he wants to leave, but we  won't let him! It's like the Mafia - you can't leave!". I think he also said that Bill was avoiding contact with Keith, because he knew Keith would try and "bully" him into changing his mind.

Keith was pretty resentful about it at first, but in the end he respected his decision and did acknowledge that Bill did them a favour by quitting when he did because it would be dragging the band down if one of the band members kept going when his heart was no longer in it "

Thanks Gazza  . I had no idea .

J. 'kins !  

THAT'S AN UNDERSTATEMENT!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #25 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 1:45pm
" THAT'S AN UNDERSTATEMENT! "

... !!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)