Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rolling Stones' manager derides The Verve (Read 1,623 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Rolling Stones' manager derides The Verve
Oct 7th, 2008 at 1:03pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Rolling Stones' manager derides The Verve
The Verve at Oxegen 2008
Andrew Loog Oldham jokes about the 'Bitter Sweet Symphony' 'steal'

Oct 7, 2008
0 Comments
The Verve news, reviews, video and tour dates
Add The Verve to MyNME
Andrew Loog Oldham has derided The Verve over their use of a Rolling Stones sample in their 1997 classic 'Bitter Sweet Symphony'.

The legendary former manager of The Rolling Stones joked to Uncut that he has bought "a pretty presentable watch strap" with the royalties that he has earned from the song.

"They [Mick Jagger and Keith Richards] have the watch and I have a pretty presentable watch strap. That's my little piece," he told our sister title.

'Bitter Sweet Symphony' uses an Andrew Oldham Orchestra recording of 'The Last Time' for its orchestral hook, and was the subject of a legal challenge by The Rolling Stones shortly after its release.

Loog Oldham, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have since received all of the royalty payments from the song, after it was successfully argued that although The Verve had negotiated to use a sample, they had used "too much".

"As for Richard Ashcroft, well, I don't know how an artist can be severely damaged by that experience. Songwriters have learned to call songs their children, and he thinks he wrote something. He didn't. I hope he's got over it. It takes a while," Loog Oldham added.

For the full interview with Andrew Loog Oldham, buy this month's Uncut, onsale now.

Plus Uncut need your help. Filling in the Uncut readers survey now and you could be picked to head in to the magazine's offices to chat with the team.

IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Rolling Stones' manager derides The Verve
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 1:12pm
absolutely ridiculous that all the royalties go to Mick and Keith, The Verve actually wrote the fucking song!
do the original artists that Hip Hop artists sample get all the songwriting credits? its all Allen Klein on his deathbed fucking other artists
The Verve are a genius band, and had humility to put Bitter Sweet Symphony on the album Urban Hymns, thus surrendering more royalties

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 1:51pm
speedfreakjive wrote on Oct 7th, 2008 at 1:12pm:
absolutely ridiculous that all the royalties go to Mick and Keith, The Verve actually wrote the fucking song!
do the original artists that Hip Hop artists sample get all the songwriting credits? its all Allen Klein on his deathbed fucking other artists
The Verve are a genius band, and had humility to put Bitter Sweet Symphony on the album Urban Hymns, thus surrendering more royalties

Really, all royalties go to the Stones? I had the impression they got a share, but not all of it!  Blank Frigging Stare
I absolutely adore the Verve too. And their new album is pure magic.

FotiniD  
IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 1:56pm
FotiniD wrote on Oct 7th, 2008 at 1:51pm:
speedfreakjive wrote on Oct 7th, 2008 at 1:12pm:

Really, all royalties go to the Stones? I had the impression they got a share, but not all of it!  Blank Frigging Stare
I absolutely adore the Verve too. And their new album is pure magic.

yeah, in the albums' sleeve its "Bitter Sweet Symphony" written by Jagger/Richards,  no credits for the Vevre at all, that normally means no royalties, as far as I'm aware.
Good to see another Verve fan on this board! Also lovin the new album, saw them live this summer, absolutely awesome  will ya 2

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 6:09pm
it really beggars beleif how this happened

certainly there is a case that the authors of the music sampled should get credit and a cut  ( i actually thought it was klein that snapped it all up - is oldham on the level here?)

BUT the big thing is, how did the Verve allow themselves to be put in a position where they got nothing yet were entirely responsible for the lyrics

it was either gross incompetence on the part of the band, their managers and advisers or there is more to this than has ever been  revealed

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 6:19pm
It was supposedly 50/50 at the time...

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 5:27am
Regardles, it is a masterpiece of a song, and along with maybe 1 or two other songs, perfectly captures "Brit pop" and "Cool Brittannia" for me. The lyrics are brilliant and i love the film clip too.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 12:45pm
Imagine how much money would be owed to Chuck Berry if you applied this legal logic to all songs?

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Love Child
Rocks Off Regular

No...please...not you
again!

BFE
Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 2:10pm
Jeez, the hand is always out, innit?

Ass kickers, Shit kickers and Methodists.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 6:28pm
This was a scurillous suit and quite beneath them, especially with the sample rights secured.  A renegotiation was in order, but not a scorched earth policy.

Kiss my undercover ass

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

souldoggie
Rocks Off Regular

Ohio
Reply #10 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 4:17pm
It has been my understanding that the royalties paid on the Abkco controlled stuff is that Mick and Keith receive half of what Klein receives.

So, if a song pays one dollar USD, Allen receives 50 cents, Mick receives 25 cents and Keith receives 25 cents. What Mr. Oldham is referring to as far as "Mick and Keith got the watch, I got the watch band" refers to the fact that artists, in addition to receiving the lucrative writing royalties (if applicable), also receive performance royalties and/or producer rolayties. My guess is that with this sample by Verve, Oldham receives producer credits and a portion of the performance royalties. To my knowledge, the only writer credit that Oldham is paid on with his work with The Rolling Stones is the 1/3 writing split on "As Tears Go By." In the instance of that song, again based on a one dollar payout, Klein receives 50 cents, Mick approximatley 16.5 cents, Keith 16.5 cents, and Andrew 16.5 cents.

To this day, I still hear "As Tears Go By" now and then in "musak" or "middle of the road" formats.
On elevators, in grocery stores. And the penny's add up.
Andrew Oldham has enjoyed a nice lifestyle due to his work from 1963-1967. The checks still arrive in the mailbox every quarter. Not too bad for a half decades worth of work.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #11 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 6:37pm
Re: souldoggie.  I was going to say that this was a real Allen Klein-style move on their parts.  Now we know why.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #12 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 6:56pm
andrews , while i agreed with your comment "This was a scurillous suit and quite beneath them," - i was going to say it was Klein that motivated it ( and i believe it was) - - however - thanx souldoggie for that explanation of the situation (tho i was aware of the writing/performance distinction) - i don't know what your authorities are but you sound as if you know what you are talking about

the other funny thing is the riff in BS Symphony is from an orchestarted version of the "The Last Time" - i can't for the life of me hear any connection between the two pieces of music

anybody heard the original track??
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2008 at 6:58pm by stonedinaustralia »  

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 1:42am
speedfreakjive wrote on Oct 7th, 2008 at 1:56pm:
Good to see another Verve fan on this board! Also lovin the new album, saw them live this summer, absolutely awesome  will ya 2

Oh, lucky you!!!  You rock! I've never seen them live...

FotiniD  
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 6:02pm
I heard the Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra track exactly once.  As far as I can remember, the "riff" for the Verve song is edited together from string fills behind the main melody of ATGB.  Which means that Mick and Keith didn't write them (and Oldham probably didn't) - but their names on an ALO Orch production are enough to establish ownership.  This whole thing stinks, and the Verve would have been better off hiring a string quartet to replay the cut-together samples from a master dub.  They might have gotten off with a settlement was the playing not lifted directly from the original ALO Orch recording.

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #15 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 7:43pm
cheers andrews27  - again agree with you - in some respects the Vere have only themselves to blame due to their nievate and failure to consider the fall out of using the sample. but as you say it really doesn't reflect well on J/R

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)