Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Release El Mocambo as bonus to Love You Live! (Read 1,384 times)
andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Release El Mocambo as bonus to Love You Live!
Oct 1st, 2008 at 8:57pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
That's right, English bitches - I said it.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Release El Mocambo as bonus to Love You Live!
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 6:28am
a very uneven live record. I find the 1976 stuff largely unlistenable, the 1975 songs mostly pretty good and the 1977 songs wonderful - all the more amazing considering the turmoil surrounding them that week.

Speaks volumes that even after recording about 30 shows in 1976, the Stones still felt the need to play a couple of isolated club dates six months later in order to find more material that was releasable (there were originally going to be five dates, but due to Keith fucking about  :funny even BEFORE he got on that ill-fated flight to Toronto, rehearsal time ended up being so limited it was cut to two)

From what I understand, the first night's recordings were technically unusable, so everything released on LYL plus the songs that have subsequently been bootlegged come from the second show on 5th March. (you can tell the intros at least are from the 5th because Mick states "theres the bottom pincher from last night!" )
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2008 at 6:29am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 4:22pm
speaking of uneven and or annoying.  i listened to got live if you want it, the other day.  micks voice is pretty audibe and clear, but what i find highly annoying is all throughout the cd that high pitched cheering....it never stops.

what was that double live album they put out?  i believe 1 side maybe 2 sides were recorded from the el mocambo.  that is almost tolerable.  i guess one had to be there to fully appreciate it.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

axl79
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Stockholm, Sweden
Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 2:18pm
Gazza, I agree with you , musically one of the poorest tour the Stones have done, they even didn't care to come around Scandinavia  Wink
The most funny is that during the 76 tour they play mostly their complete new album "Black n Blue" and left out the BEST song "Memory Motel"

Stoned in Sweden

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 5:17pm
Quote:
what was that double live album they put out?  i believe 1 side maybe 2 sides were recorded from the el mocambo.  

It's ... Love You Live

... ... ...
IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 5:34am
The live version of Crackin Up is one of the best Stones moments captured on tape.... ever.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 1:28pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 2nd, 2008 at 6:28am:
a very uneven live record. I find the 1976 stuff largely unlistenable, the 1975 songs mostly pretty good and the 1977 songs wonderful - all the more amazing considering the turmoil surrounding them that week.

As this got me curious, I did this bit of research for my RO breatheren.  Source is Wikipedia.  Dates are in American.

NB:  6-6-76 is the day Keith's son Tara died.  I presume it was that night's show that Keith performed while aware of the tragedy but without telling the band.

Love You Live

HTW (6-5-76)
IYCRM/Get Off My Cloud (5-22-76)
Happy (6-5-76)
Hot Stuff (6-6-76)
Star Star (6-6-76)
Tumbling Dice (6-7-76)
F. File (6-17-75)
You Got To Move (6-5-76)
YCAGWYW (6-7-76)
Side 3 (3-4 or 3-5-77)
IORR (6-17-75)
Brown Sugar (6-6-76)
JJF (6-7-76)
Sympathy (7-9-75)

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 1:35pm
leonid wrote on Oct 4th, 2008 at 5:34am:
The live version of Crackin Up is one of the best Stones moments captured on tape.... ever.

absolutly agree.  i won the canadian national indoor rock climbing comp to this song back in '89.  i was allowed two songs during my 15 minutes to climb a particular route and this was one of them.

really?

IP Logged

lethargy
Rocks Off Regular

Last Bitch To Get Paid

california
Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 5:38pm
Dude, I"m totally with you !! I love that tune - it's the best part of side 3 for sure. And you can't beat "Ronnie Wood's Gay", "If you want to dance with Billy on the piano you can", and all the other quips. Just great stuff.

leonid wrote on Oct 4th, 2008 at 5:34am:

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 4:28am
Got live if you want it is not a live record. Oldham had screams "tacked" onto it to give it the appearance of a live concert.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 10:19am
That only applies to a couple of songs, in fairness - Fortune Teller (a studio recording from 1963!) and I've Been Loving You Too Long (a studio recording from 1965 - and a song which to this day the Stones have never performed live despite a 'live' version of it appearing on a live album)

When you look at the amount of overdubs that have appeared on almost every Stones live album since, theres probably less overall  on GLIYWI than most of the others.

Its a bit odd that the Stones first three live albums all contain deliberately misleading info as to where and when the shows were recorded.

GLIYWI - supposedly from the Royal Albert Hall, which was a show which was actually abandoned due to a riot after about 20 minutes. Its actually from Bristol and Newcastle, with a couple of studio songs tacked on with audience screams.

GYYYO - supposedly from MSG, but "Love In Vain" is actually from Baltimore.

LYL - the sleeve says its from Paris and Toronto 1976-77, but there are songs from Toronto and LA in 1975 and London in 1976.

If you want a decent documentation of the Jones era, the 1965 "Got Live if you want it" EP is a FAR better representation. A cracking little record.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 10:27am
Zack wrote on Oct 4th, 2008 at 1:28pm:
Gazza wrote on Oct 2nd, 2008 at 6:28am:

As this got me curious, I did this bit of research for my RO breatheren.  Source is Wikipedia.  Dates are in American.

NB:  6-6-76 is the day Keith's son Tara died.  I presume it was that night's show that Keith performed while aware of the tragedy but without telling the band.

Love You Live

HTW (6-5-76)
IYCRM/Get Off My Cloud (5-22-76)
Happy (6-5-76)
Hot Stuff (6-6-76)
Star Star (6-6-76)
Tumbling Dice (6-7-76)
F. File (6-17-75)
You Got To Move (6-5-76)
YCAGWYW (6-7-76)
Side 3 (3-4 or 3-5-77)
IORR (6-17-75)
Brown Sugar (6-6-76)
JJF (6-7-76)
Sympathy (7-9-75)

I got the impression the band were aware of it. (I also thought he died on 4th june, but maybe you're right).

They played four shows in Paris that week (4,5,6 & 7 June). I think three of them are featured on the "Les Abattoirs" TV concert (all but the 2nd night).

Proof if ever it was needed what a  trooper Keith can be in the midst of whatever else is going on in his life.

Oddly enough, I also think Wyman's dad died on the day of their Tokyo concert in 1990 which was being televised. That turned out to be the best show of that tour and one of the greatest stadium gigs theyve ever played.

Not forgetting Mick's round trip of 12,000 miles to see his dad on his death bed after the Phoenix show in November 2006, then arriving back in Las Vegas to be told that Joe had died whilst he had been en route - and then getting on stage a couple of hours later to entertain 15,000 people as normal. Incredible.

... ... ...
IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 7:59am
Now answer this, Gazza.

On the dreadful "Flashpoint" the chick screaming "Paint it black, you Devil" from GYYYO is heard. Was that a deliberate little joke? Or is there a massive "sound library" of applause and screams and stuff the Stones use to make their "live" albums sound "live"???

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #13 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 10:37am
corgi37 wrote on Oct 6th, 2008 at 7:59am:
Now answer this, Gazza.

On the dreadful "Flashpoint" the chick screaming "Paint it black, you Devil" from GYYYO is heard. Was that a deliberate little joke? Or is there a massive "sound library" of applause and screams and stuff the Stones use to make their "live" albums sound "live"???

It was - as you correctly say - a deliberate little joke as a 'homage'. The woman in question (well, she claims it was her..) was apparently tracked down a couple of years ago and posted her story about shouting that at MSG on YouTube.

However, as far as I recall it took place at a different part of the show than where it appears on Ya Yas (on the album its just before 'Sympathy').

... ... ...
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)